"24" to Make the Leap from TV to Multiplex?

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, "24" producer/star Kiefer Sutherland let loose a few clues that "24" might start ticking it clock in your local movie house.

"24's producers have begun plotting a film franchise for Bauer. Sutherland (who stars with Michael Douglas in the thriller "The Sentinel," out April 21) is itching to pull the trigger. ''It can be an amazing series of movies,'' he says. ''One of the things I've experienced making this show is that an audience can handle a lot more than we thought when we started ? the tension, the anxiety.... If we could [compress] all the energy we spread over 24 hours of programming and put that into 2, I think we'd knock your socks off.''"

Hey, they did it with "The X-Files" and "Firefly/Serenity," so why not "24"? Just study John Badham's "Nick of Time" on how to (and how not to) pull off a "real-time" movie.

Comments

rcbaker87

Clay Baker

[b]Best show on TV, but are they sure[/b]
I mean if they made a movie I would most defintally see it. But im not sure how they can make it as good as the show.

Jan 9 - 10:41 AM

South_park300

First Last

it could be even better than the show actually. i love the show, but sometimes, they have to kill time to stretch the story over 24 episodes. I bet they can have a killer story with great action and events in a 2 hour period.
They did say movie franchise though, I hope this doesn't mean the end of the tv series.

Jan 9 - 12:17 PM

CrazyGhost78

CrazyGhost78 CrazyGhost78

I doubt it will be the end of the series, I think he means do the series, take a hiatas, do a movie, hiatas, show, etc.

Jan 9 - 01:00 PM

ksduded

Khurram Suhrwardy

i think a "24" movie will be awesome.... imagine all the action and suspense squeezed into 2 hours of real time... pure entertainment bliss i tell u

Jan 9 - 01:19 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

I dont think a movie would be good for the "24" series. One of the coolest things about the show is that each episode represents one hour of 24 hours. If they try to make a movie without it, it loses some of the innovation that made me watch the show. Now if they the last 2 episodes of the very last season of the series and made it into a movie, that'd be a great hook. it'd make all the diehard fans go to the movies to see the end of the fantastic series. think about the dough it would bring in.

Jan 9 - 03:23 PM

Summit Rider

Harry Ballzana

[b]Queefer's wish...[/b]
Queefer wants to ressurect his movie career that was 'flatlined' for over 2 decades.

Jan 9 - 06:25 PM

South_park300

First Last

well, i wonder if the movie would be real time 2 hours, or if the movie will take place over 24 hours..

Jan 9 - 07:45 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday