My Soul to Take Reviews

½ April 10, 2011
Wes Craven continues to try and find his next big movie .. it was okay. Thats about all i can say for this one.
April 6, 2012
Sucks big fat donkey cock.... don't bother!
½ May 21, 2011
Oh wow not many people really liked this? Maybe they expect more from a horror legend like Wes Craven. For a straight to DVD horror/slasher it was ok. It has an old school vibe and plot which was a throw back to the genre's hay day in the 80's. However the 2nd half of the film seemed to confuse it's self, trying to be smarter than it was, fairly obvious how some plot lines would turn out. It has a few jumps, which with a proper 5.1 system can be fully appreciated. One of the low budget horrors which used the surround sound to really good effect! The ending and final stages of the film are a let down after a promising opening. One for old school horror fans.
January 5, 2012
The fact that this hasn't yet been picked up by the "shitty horror canon" cult is completely beyond me. Inept in the most hilarious and incoherent of ways, My Soul to Take is nearly two hours of a once renowned horror master flying off the rails in grandiose fashion. Absolutely worth catching, unless this sort of schadenfreude-fueled spectacle isn't really your scene.
½ September 20, 2010
Everything that you heard about this movie is true..it's not so good.
DreamExtractor
½ August 15, 2011
Wes Craven is a horror genius, but what the hell was he thinking when making this shit. The plot of this was too boring and stupid to explain, the story scrambled up and has so many things happening that we simply just don't care what happens. I mean, almost every scene had something completely retarded, whether it was cheesy moments or terrible dialogue. Oh yeah, the dialogue, I almost forgot, this film has some of the worst dialogue in film history, maybe worse than Star Wars The Phantom Menace. In horror films I like dumb characters, but these characters were not dumb, they were stupid, annoying, and probably the worst cast I have ever witnessed in a horror film, if you've seen the film you know what im talking about. The movie relies completely with jump moments that were not scary, the whole movie is one big annoying piece of shit that will not scare anyone. Anyone who thought this was scary is going to have a lot of problems in life, what a terrible movie.
movieguru12
September 26, 2010
It could have been better. Average scares & blood in this movie.
May 15, 2011
is it just possible that Craven fumbled the ball this time and gave us the equivalent of a fairly amateur teen horror flick?
LWOODS04
August 19, 2010
Cast: Max Thieriot, Denzel Whitaker, Raul Esparza, Shareeka Epps, Emily Meade, Frank Grillo, Zena Grey, Nick Lashaway, Jessica Hecht

Director: Wes Craven

Summary: Some 15 years after the presumed death of a vicious serial killer, children whose birthdays match his supposed "death day" start to disappear. But whether the killer -- or his tortured soul -- is responsible remains to be seen. One boy (Max Thieriot) knows for sure, but his own connection to the horrific crimes is far too terrible to imagine.

My Thoughts: "An OK little teen slasher. I am sure a younger audience will enjoy this much more then an older audience. No suspense and not at all scary, but definitely bloody enough. The story isn't bad, but there are seven characters that are kinda boring and really don't get much development which makes you care even less about them being killed off. The cast is full of young fresh face's. I think I've only seen one (bug) in a movie before (I think it was 'Jumper'). Not bad acting, but nothing that will be remembered, sadly much like this movie. I LOVE Wes Craven, he is a favorite of mine, but he has done much, much, much better work. Not really bad, but the furthest from great."
cosmo313
½ August 19, 2010
Wes, what the Hell happened? Utter crap like this is usually only made by true hacks and naive amateurs, not a veteran like you. Pretty much everything here is lame: poor acting, lazy writing, uninspired story, and careless direction. On top of that, it's all dull, lifeless, and not very fun or entertaining.

I'm actually being a little generous here. I did like that there was a decent amount of bloodshed. That helped, as did the casting of two performers I kind of like. (Epps and Grey) Aside from that, this is just a giant fail all over. Here's to hoping redemption comes (in a massive way) with Scream 4.
October 9, 2010
This movie sucks. There are so many things that are wrong with this movie. A stupid plot, bad acting, annoying stupid characters, retarded scenes, relys on jump scares.. A lot of other stuff too. The movie isnt scary. Its actually boring. I was entertained at several parts in the movie and even laughed a couple times. I thought it even got suspenseful in some parts but very few. What was Wes Craven thinking when he wrote this. This movie also has a lot of horrible dialogue. A horrible movie.

Grade: D
TheDudeLebowski65
½ February 11, 2011
My Soul To Take is the first film written and directed since 94's New Nightmare. Unfortunately the film suffers greatly. Critiques of the film have pointed out that the film is dull, boring and formulaic. The film is certainly that. I was looking forward to seeing this, as I think Wes Craven is a terrific filmmaker, and he has crafted some of the best horror films in the history of horror. However with My Soul To Take, it's clear that Wes Craven has scrapped the bottom of the barrel with these ideas on screen. The film had an interesting idea, which I thought was very intriguing, but then the film just went all over the place, it became too hard to follow and didn't make sense. My Soul To Take has too many things happening at once, that ultimately you lose interest. The initial idea was good, but it spiraled into a subplot and then another subplot, and they all didn't go anywhere. Too many unfinished ideas cloud this film and it doesn't work, the film ends up being one of the worst horror films in recent memory. This film makes any remake seem watchable by comparison. I just can't believe that Wes Craven directed this film. I was expecting something good, and initially with the overall plot, you would expect something cool here. But by the final act, the film is beyond crap, it cannot be salvaged. The only thing that can be asked after seeing this film is, does Wes Craven need to retire? the answer is most definitely yes. Like Dario Argento, George Romero and Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven has lost his touch for good horror films. I think it's time for Craven to hand over the reins to a new generation of horror directors.
½ October 5, 2010
My Soul To Take has everything a movie shouldn't have: A god-awful retractable script, the worst cast ever assembled, poor cinematography, a story not worth telling, and horror that does not make one good jump. I found myself smiling the entire way through. There was not once where I even felt like they tried to make a good twist. By the end of the film, the most obvious conclusion ends up being the conclusion. If this was the first horror film ever made, it would be the only horror film ever made. Not only is this one of the worst films of the year, but it is the worst horror film I have ever seen! I pray to nobody watch this film, because you will honestly be wasting 107 minutes of your life. I have and I regret every second of it. This movie honestly felt like a horror spoof, and I am ashamed of myself for spending my money on this. Wes Craven reaches the lowest point of his career, which is so bad that he might as well consider retirement. What the hell?
October 6, 2010
Last year saw it's share of bad movies. From horribly unfunny comedies (Little Fockers), to painfully unentertaining and inept actioners (The Tourist, Jonah Hex). Though Wes Craven's MY SOUL TO TAKE doesn't try to be a great movie and doesn't take itself seriously, it's still THE SINGLE worst film of 2010. Nothing works in this trainwreck.
½ February 3, 2011
Wes Craven. He has his ups and his downs. Classics like Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream, are hurt by Cursed and Vampire in Brooklyn. This is one of his terrible efforts. An absolute disaster considering he wrote and directed this 4th rate slasher. This man once dissected the genre, and here he conforms to it. He can't even do that competently. The murder scenes have all the tension of taking a dump. We get characters, awkwardly, backing up to one side of the frame. Alas, they bump into the killer. Every kill happens with a shot of feet, a shot of the weapon, pained reaction shot and finish. The whole world of this film is miserable. If Craven researched a single aspect of this film I would be surprised. High school kids don't act like any high school kids I've known. The police are incompetent, apart from being loaded with smarmy remarks. The paramedic would rather believe in voodoo shit than science etc. This is all dragged along by bland dialogue. When it gets to a point that shows Craven couldn't even bother look at the differences between schizophrenia and multiple-personality disorder, you just hope he brings his A game to Scream 4.
Screeny
½ October 16, 2010
I think 2010 has found its worst flick. We can all agree that 2010 has had its ups and downs with film but "My Soul to Take" makes me want to give every movie I've seen this year four stars or higher. Why? It's got worse acting, writing, and story than a SCI-FI channel original TV movie. The one question that ran through my mind while watching this movie was: "Wes, what were you thinking?" I mean, seriously, what was he thinking? The movie does make sense, somewhat, but, this is the corniest, most terrible horror story ever created. Not just because it's incredibly cheesy but because it's so damn pointless and nobody cares about the story whatsoever. I think Wes tries way to hard coming up with another classic and I feel as if he used a lot of elements in this that relate a little too much to "A Nightmare on Elm Street". The only difference is that this movie sucks. "Vampires Suck" had more meaning than this. All I can say is please do not waste your money on this movie. It isn't worth a penny. Skip this for the sake of your time. Let's just all hope "Scream 4" isn't this bad.

If there is anything worse than the film's acting or story idea, its definitely the writing. Wes Craven puts together such a messy, horribly dialoged script. This has got to be Craven's worst. I'd say by a land-slide. Not just was the writing horrible, but he got of at least have came up with some creative kill scenes. All of the deaths in this movie are so dull and none of them actually grab the viewer. This isn't the least bit scary. I think he just made this to make this. I hope Wes comes out and states that he only spent three days on this script and then never did re-takes. At least then I wouldn't wonder what made him do such a terrible job with this.

Max Theriot, you may remember him from "The Pacifier", I can't think of him being in anything else, although, I'm sure he has been around since then. Well, let me say this nicely, he sucked in this. He was so terrible putting this character to life. I mean, he did have to work with a crappy script, but still, he wasn't even a little good. The same goes for everyone else in this movie. Zena Gray was bad, Denzel Whitaker....the list goes on! I might as well just end the review here because I have nothing good to say about this movie, but, I'll continue with my usual review format.

I already mentioned how this was Craven's worst so that probably goes for his direction too. I mean, he isn't a bad director but why did he have to make this in 3D? This movie being in 3D was so pointless. This isn't one of those flicks that needs to be in the 3D format. If you are still going to see this movie even after my review, then please don't spend the extra four bucks on 3D. How about this, at least do me the favor of waiting for this to enter a 3 Dollar theatre.

Well, I'll end here. Please, oh, please skip this movie. Its horribly written, acted, and directed. It has one of the worst twists ever. The twist wasn't even "twist" material. The movie has some un-creative kills for a horror story and I felt like I was watching a comedy most of the time because this was so damn silly. This movie is a major skip.
½ October 8, 2010
Bug: If something dead was evil enough, do you think it could come back to life?

Wes Craven deserves some kind of recognition this year. Despite having to suffer through such duds as The Last Airbender, Jonah Hex, and even a remake of Craven's own horror classic A Nightmare On Elm Street, somehow, Craven has managed to write and direct the worst film of the year, which is the best thing I can say about My Soul to Take. I am not one to be caught up in the star ratings I assign to movies, but while I may give only so many movies five stars, it is definitely rarer for me to give a movie half of a star. It is not something I take joy in; really, it just makes me sad.

Attempting to summarize this ridiculously convoluted plot may be difficult, but I will attempt to try. Sixteen years ago, a serial killer, known as the Ripper, was on the loose in the town of Riverton. The Ripper turned out to be a schizophrenic psychopath who was caught (right after he killed his pregnant wife) and presumably killed on the same day that seven children were born. Jumping ahead to the present, on the day of those seven teen's birthdays, there is a legend that The Ripper's soul, or maybe even the Ripper himself, will kill those born on the day of his death, unless they all do some kind of random ritual to stop this. Unfortunately, our lead character, Bug (Max Thierot), who suffers from migraines and has horrible nightmares (guess why), was too scared to go through with the made up ritual. Seemingly, as a result, the next day consists of a series of mysterious murders, one by one, of those who were born on that day. The question is who is behind these murders? Has the Ripper come back? Has his soul? Or has Bug lost it completely?

I had to chop out so many other elements involving this story. These include the many ways the Ripper can apparently be deflected, the many subplots involving the teen characters, including a bully who takes orders from Bug's sister (???), an abusive stepfather, a super Christian girl and her meetings with the Principal's pregnant daughter, a blind kid who can sneak into houses, and Bug's apparent supernatural abilities. The story is horrendously bad and is a very poor attempt to make something more out of what could be a simple "creepy killer living under the bridge" story.

And then things got worse...

Apparently, without Scream's screenwriter, Kevin Williamson, Craven has no finger anywhere near the pulse of teen culture. The script is lousy. Characters speak in ways that only deliver either exposition (which as you can tell by these plot points, there is way to much of) or in ways that I could only think is some even grander form of irony that reflects on the ways clever scripts reflect on older scripts, which puts this one full circle and back in the land out terrible screenwriting. Here is one of the gems of dialogue presented:

Fang: Wake up and smell the Starbucks.

Helping deliver this dialogue are the many bland teenagers cast in these parts. Unlike, say Heather Langencamp and Johnny Depp from the original Nightmare on Elm Street, none of these actors standout a bit, with the exception of Bug, since he is the one person we have to follow throughout this movie. If the story was less of a mess, I might have been able to give credit to some of the work Thierot did, but as it stands, the kid just seems weirdly inconsistent. I would try to point out the comic relief character in this film, except the dialogue said made me think every character was comic relief.

Oh, and this is a horror movie by the way. Not sure if that was communicated, but this film does not really make that apparent either. Somehow, the work by Craven in the past to create films that rely on tension and suspense (including the Scream films, despite being satires on the genre) is absent here. Sadly relying on jump scares, including several uses of the ol' mirror trick, this movie could have been called My Soul to BOO! Of course, if the film wasn't so incredibly boring, these might have at least had an effect.

Finally, adding more insult to injury, Wes decided to jump on the 3D...scratch that, fake 3D band wagon, by converting this film to feature that format. It goes without saying that wearing sunglasses to a movie was once again not something that enhanced the picture for me.

This film was terrible in every way. While I can give some films more of a pass because less experienced filmmakers were behind them, people like Shyamalan and here - Wes Craven, should know better. I am not sure what will be in store for audiences when Scream 4 comes out, but if it makes fun of this movie and movies like it, that would be a good joke, a good of a joke as this film is.

Bug: Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray to the Lord, my soul to...
Me: Oh my god, again with this!?!
½ October 8, 2010
Just utter madness, I couldn't tell what Wes Craven had concocted. It's one of the most bizarre and awkwardly funny horror movies. Unlike Drag Me To Hell, it's never quite clear if you're supposed to be laughing with or at the movie. The characters are like a breakfast club for horror, with a Daredevil in the group for shear confusion. The one thing I really will say is ingenious is the unpredictable and relentless nature of the killings, you really never know who'll get taken by the swap demon ripper. The 3D in this movie is the tip of the iceberg, it makes zero sense. Nothing was used in 3D at all, which matches the confusion of the movie I guess.
June 12, 2011
Bad Wes Craven! That is NOT what how to make a movie! Son, I am disappoint.

'Case you didn't guess, I kinda didn't like My Soul to Take. Especially not when you stack it up against, like, every other film Wes Craven (behind The Last House on the Left, The Hills have Eyes, Deadly Blessing, Swamp Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Serpent and the Raibow, Shocker, The People Under the Stairs, Scream, Wishmaster and Red Eye) has ever made ever. Even more sadly, the onus is completely on him. Though the actors of the piece were relatively unknown, no one of them was terrible enough to bring down the film. Wes both wrote and directed My Soul to Take, as well as standing in the Production line.

It's an interesting if a little bizarre idea, once upon a time there was a serial killer, at the precise moment this serial killer died, 7 children were born in a local hospital. 16 years on, the kids start winding up dead, and those remaining are trying to figure out if the Riverton Ripper survived, or if his soul was somehow transferred into one of the 7, and if so, which one. To be blunt, the actual plot is even weaker than that, but it's as accurate as I can put it without spoilers.

Craven executes this very poorly, right down to angst-y, unbelievable characters and convoluted, sporadic story-telling. People have been saying that it's time for the 71 year old director to give it up, but honestly I'd hate to see one of the masters of horror go out on such a thrill-less flop.

I can, in its defence, honestly say that this movie isn't boring, which of course is the worst thing that any form of entertainment can be, what with boredom being what you are suffering from when you're not entertained and all. Though from the word go the film is utterly ridiculous, at no point in time did I find myself wanting to turn My Soul to Take off.

Though I had the good fortune of being in a country which releases all its films to DVD in 2D, I can imagine that having to go through this dark shocker in its post-conversion 3D failure in cinemas must have been Hell. The trailer was nice Mr. Craven, but I'm sad to say, you failed to deliver.

-Gimly