71% Hercules Jul 25

Death Note (Desu nto) (TV SHOW) Reviews

deano
deano

August 21, 2007
Absolutely cult classic based on the magna & anime and more smartest on the ultimate serial killer known as Kira who possesses the Death Note - a supernatural notebook with the power to kill. He made the perfect tricks onto the police & FBI who are on the case to find the mysterious ultimate serial killer.
The actor choices were pretty good - Tatsuya Fujiwara was, and still, well-known for his on-stage productions, and Kenichi Matsuyama's L / Ryuuzaki was awesome! His every 'weird and strange' movements were exactly how I imagined the actual L would be.
gor41
gor41

November 15, 2009
Fascinating concept skillfully delivered which slightly overcomplicates matters towards the end.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

September 12, 2009
A law student finds a notebook deliberately dropped by the God of Death which allows him to kill anyone whose name he writes in it; soon, criminals across the world start dropping dead, while the police race to stop him with the aid of superdetective "L." Goes about its time setting up its premise, but just when you're ready to give up it turns into a clever cat-and-mouse game reminiscent of a battle between a mystical Moriarity and a high-tech Holmes.
skactopus
skactopus

January 10, 2009
Death Note is a Japanese live action film that comes from a manga. As popular as the manga is, this film is quite surprising at how low budget it seems at times. That's not to say that it is a bad movie. It is quite good."The human whose name is written in this note shall die." The story is what makes Death Note as interesting as it is. It has a horror feel to it, but it isn't a horror at all. It is more of a crime mystery. The pacing itself is fairly slow and it does run until 2 hours, which is just a tad long. There are a few segments in the second half of the picture that are responsible for this. Other than that, the rest of the movie is far from boring. Especially when it seems there is no bad guy.The nice thing about the writing is that it explains nearly everything. It leaves little up to the imagination. The rules of the "death note" show up at appropriate times and they are thought up nicely. It even answers the question regarding people with the same name.Despite having a low budget feel and look, there is CG. The Ryuuk character is entirely CG and although he does look a little weak, he is still tolerable.The casting is pretty good, although the acting isn't great. Tatsuya Fujiwara, of Battle Royale fame, plays the lead character of Light (aka Kira). Ken'ichi Matsuyama is a good "L", but all that constant eating of sweets makes you want to brush your teeth. There are a number of cute females in here. Asaka Seto and Yu Kashii are the major ones to look out for. The popular Shido Nakamura provides a fitting voice for Ryuuk.Death Note may not look spectacular, but the story really saves it. It is worth the watch for manga fans.
Kylie B

April 16, 2007
An entertaining film, most of which is made up of a clever cat and mouse dynamic between Light and L.
The shinigami effects I wasn't particularly keen on, it was very obviously computer generated - but I guess they were keeping to the original manga design for it.
The ending's pretty abrupt so I guess the sequel should pick up almost exactly where this left off.

I'll be looking up the manga now.
vieras e

November 13, 2006
I love the manga and quite liked this film, too. There were some changes, but they had kept the story and themes intact, so I wasn't really bothered. I'm really glad that they chose to use CGI to create Ryuk instead of dressing somebody up in a Reaper costume. The only thing which I wasn?t as happy with as I had hoped I would be was L. He was kind of insipid.

How silly of me not to realise what "Kira" actually meant until I heard it spoken out loud. -_-;
Luke B

April 13, 2007
A brilliant film. In a way it is kind of a twisted super-hero tale, not dissimilar to Batman. A young man takes the law into his own hands and soon finds himself killing off innocents in an attempt to protect himself and his cause. The real triumph of this film is to look at the arguments from all sides. No one is simply good nor evil, everyone makes mistakes. Fantasy also takes a huge part and the character of Ryuk who really shouldn't work, does. The CGI is spectacular. All in all this is Se7en crossed with Batman and some J-Horror thrown in to.
Drew S

February 7, 2007
A surprisingly good adaptation of an excellent manga. Death Note manages to stray from a lot of moments that could end up very cheesy; the only thing that doesn't really seem to work is a poorly-done CGI Ryuk.

Tatsuya Fujiwara is cool, but his acting is a little bit one note. His performance here feels like an evil retread of his other most notable role, Battle Royale. Most of his mannerisms come back up.
Daniel P

September 4, 2008
Very, very impressive. Review soon.
divinetrash
divinetrash

December 21, 2007
Death Note, the anime and manga, is a tense, thrilling moral tale about the ambiguity of good vs. Evil and the repercussions of playing God; it is filled with memorable characters and has beautiful animation. Death Note, the movie, however, is somewhat of a mess. The problem here is that they try to stay too faithful to the original source material and therefore rush a lot of story elements and basically, if you are unfamiliar with it, one will get lost. I really enjoyed, it was great having a lot of memories back and it's kind of a Cliffs Note version of a complicated seriesif you don't have much time (though you also have to see the sequel because this is only the fist half) , but beginners will probably be put off by it.

Oh, by the way, someone here mentioned that she wished that L's circles under his eyes were bigger, and I thought the exact same thing. I'm not too nit-picky that it bothered me, but it's something that stuck in my mind.
Christopher B

July 5, 2007
Fun film about a different type of vigilante. I would have prefered to see the corruption of a certain character played out more, rather than just happening almost immediately (SPOILER: He attempted to kill the non-criminal "L" as soon as he found out he was hunting him END SPOILER) and I like the cliffhanger that leaves the audience anxious for the sequel.
Marcus W

November 2, 2007
Genius little film involving a notebook, and whoevers name is written in it shall die. It reminded me a lot of the character of Batman (it even has a gothic joker character thing) if he split in two, and the vigilante pitted wits against the detective - and that is this films strong point: the twisty-turny cat and mouse plot. It's constantly surprising and beautifully written. Highly recommended.
Anthony V

May 24, 2007
Dark Fantasy fans won't want to miss this one.
John2223
John2223

August 28, 2007
This is an original and almost perfect movie inspire in a famouse japanese anime. Very entertaining and full of suspenseful moments.
February 17, 2012
Manga/Anime is better. I'm a big Tatsuya Fujiwara fan, and this stayed very true to the manga, but it was slow and tedious at times. It also wasn't able to explain the rules and how they work as well as the anime does.

Update: I understand they're going to make an American version possibly with Zac Efron as the lead. I guess that works, since he sort of resembles Light. I think he may be able to pull it off, since he manages to look downright creepy in some of his photos. I think whatshisface from the Funny Games remake would be a good a good L. And I'm hoping that they could do the live/animated meshing better than it was done in this version of the film.
February 1, 2012
So, I never seen the anime this was based on but I still enjoyed this alot. The concept is cool and it is something differant to watch. Death God loves Apples...lmao. Funny shit...but the way this is done was great. And the ending was pretty damn good if I don't say so. Not what I thought was going to happen. Which is always a good thing with movies. Definetly worth checking out.
ornerylil1
August 6, 2009
If you liked the anime, you'll equally like the movie. Ryuk even looks reasonably realistic (considering his appearance in the first place.)
June 24, 2009
It was okay, not great.
I found Matsuyama more intriguing as Detective L then Fujiwara as Light.
I didn't really like the CGI, mostly because it caught me by surprise and just felt out of place and cheesy. I think with a great makeup team they could have had an actor be Ryuk.

The acting was okay... nothing great.
The plot itself is really interesting. Interesting enough I would like to see the second one to see what happens.

*I haven't seen the anime version.*
May 24, 2009
this was a great moviee..!!
i thought it was gonna bee worse than the coartoon[not saying that the cartoon sucks] butt it was awsomee.!! L is my fave. character in the moviee and the cartoon.!! lol hes funny :D