28 Days Reviews

½ July 29, 2010
Lifeless, soulless movie about a subject that isn't shown the respect and reverence it deserves. Bullock, who would go on to make more dramatic films with awful scripts, is the shining light in the midst of the darkness, as per usual. Though her performance varies between the girl next door personality she achieves so well in her romantic comedies and the dramatic, which she struggles with in some of her other films, here she grasps it easily enough. The beginning was well structured, had emotional depth, and resonated. The character was sloppy yet superficial, and very mean tempered. Her attitude was that of an addict, and Bullock really captured the persona of someone in rehab. Then she makes a U-turn, pretty much out of the blue, and all of sudden it's about stupid comedy, over the top drama, a love interest that feels out of place, and some really strange plot choices altogether. The minor character of Gearhardt, played by Alan Tudyk of all people, was possibly the worst character I have ever seen onscreen. He is duplicitous about his role as the comedic relief, and it was just painful all the way through. Bullock has to maneuver through so much inaccuracies, melodrama, and heartless froth in order to show any emotional response to Viggo Mortensen's character, the lives of her friends in rehab, and her own fate. Another great role came from Steve Buscemi who is the only realistic character in this entire thing. It's entirely made of fluff, but amusing, heartfelt fluff. More like insulation riddled with asbestos. The film does not show addicts to their true potential, and tries to make light of something that is actually a serious disease, and though it is addressed, it is also belittled by the plot and characters themselves, and nothing can make up for Gearhardt....nothing!
MANUGINO
July 5, 2009
The Life of the Party... before she got a life.

Good film! Sandra Bullock did an amazing job at one of her earlier films as an actress. 28 Days" is one of the most accurate movies about alcoholism and drug addiction I can remember. The film does not glamorize or poke fun at its thematic content, but instead shimmers in truth depicting the problems in which a nowhere life can lead.This movie teaches us lessons through its characters. And the lessons are well taught. Recommended to all.

After getting into a car accident while drunk on the day of her sister's wedding, Gwen Cummings is given a choice between prison or a rehab center. She chooses rehab, but is extremely resistant to taking part in any of the treatment programs they have to offer, refusing to admit that she has an alcohol addiction. After getting to know some of the other patients, Gwen gradually begins to re-examine her life and see that she does, in fact, have a serious problem. The path to recovery will not be easy, and success will not be guaranteed or even likely, but she is now willing to give it a try.
½ July 18, 2007
one whole star (and a half!) just cause i love ms. bullock. the rest of this trip to rehab is like a trip to rehab ... blech.
January 6, 2007
A good comedy drama as a New York journalist has to go to rehab for 28 days to cure her addiction to alcohol. It has some good actors and has some funny moments. Overall more drama than comedy but still a good film on the whole
½ September 18, 2009
Not great but I?ve got a thing for Sandra Bullock!
½ January 19, 2009
Sanda Bulllock does great in this film. It's a movie worth watching, but not worth praising.

Positives: Most actors nail there spots. There is some humrous moments and some emotional moments. The film makes a decent attempt to boost you from high-times, to low times, as to get you emotionally connected to the film.

Negatives: This unbalance between Comedy and Seriousness while it did not completley fail could of done itself better to just stick to one. Sometimes the comedy is to funny to make the movie seem real during it's serious moments. It's a tough balance that didnt fail but it also didnt do the movie great deeds.

Overall: This movie is good but it's not perfection. It would of been much better off being completley serious as all the actors are wonderful and I feel could really tackle this serious subject on a serious note. The flaws are on the behalf of the writers/directors but the actors make it worth a watch or two.

Check it out but do not go into it all that seriously or you may be dissapointed.
cosmo313
June 9, 2006
Employs its share of cliches here and there, but overall, this is a fairly entertaining and well acted take on rehab and the path to ending self-destruction. Bullock, Mortensen, and Buscemi shine.
½ July 18, 2007
Easy to miss...if you are good at ducking :)
½ July 5, 2007
This is a fantastic movie. I love all of the characters because they are all hilarious.
December 27, 2006
Sandra drunk and stupid. No thanks.
½ November 7, 2006
Bullock is great in this film.
deano
½ October 16, 2006
June 17, 2007
Surprisingly interesting. This Movie was good and was so funny & understanding and full of tears. Sandra Bullock has the best performance as a troubled drinker and taken to the rehab centre.
½ May 31, 2006
The unfunny and uncharismatic Bullock is hopeless in this drama. The idea is stretched out too long over the movie's length, and its just a boring mess.
October 19, 2007
Not to be confused with the (infinitely superior) other "28 days" movie with all the "enraged folk". In this, Bullock is a party girl who goes too far and ends up in rehab, then finds herself. It's crushingly boring and looked down on by greater films such as Secretary and Girl, Interrupted. Not even Buscemi can save it...
September 1, 2007
I really liked this movie. I kind of fall for movies about people making their lives better with humor and dark honest moments.
½ September 1, 2008
Painfully dull, uninspiring.
The moments that are supposed to make you cry dont, the monents that are supposed to make you laugh dont, and the moments that are supposed to make you think dont.
One of the worst 50 movies I have ever seen.
November 4, 2007
Never having a drug or alcohol addiction kind of left me out of this a little but I am sure it played to the Hollywood crowd. I like Bullock and I like Tudyk, so worth a look I think.
October 11, 2006
Bit too cheesy in parts, but Sandra Bullock is actually amazingly good.
March 8, 2006
I love Sandra Bullock, but I thought this movie was kinda boring.