2 Brothers & a Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2 Brothers & a Bride Reviews

October 12, 2010
I really, really liked this movie. It is not a laugh out loud kind of comedy, It is a subtle, humorous look at two brothers' quest in finding a wife in another country. It was nicely done, well acted, and very charming. AND I am not a David Arquette fan by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I really liked him in this.
iLeo
April 12, 2007
A favorite.
January 5, 2010
Interesting premise, so-so story. Emily Mortimer gives a fine performance and lifts the film up. Quirky, amusing and off beat enough to be entertaining.
January 2, 2008
It could have been a lot better and cuter had it not been slow and disjointed. The story was fun and the resolution was enjoyable, but the movie as a whole lost my interest along the way.
½ May 20, 2005
[font=Book Antiqua][size=5][color=black][color=black][font=Book Antiqua]Hey All,[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Book Antiqua]I know I have been gone a little while my pets but I'm back now. LOL! I'm just way too lazy to put any of my entries in. Any who, I received some movies in the mail and one of the movies are called, "Two Brothers and a Bride". I did enjoy this movie but there were things that could have been better about this movie. "Two Brothers and a Bride" could have gone into certain eras more but didn't for what ever reason. I thought there were some eras the film makers could have cut out of the movie but over all I think this was a cute movie. I thought the amazing talented cast which included Tim Blake Nelson and David Arquette brought this script to life. I like the writing in this particular film but thought that it just could have been elaborated more in certain parts and others a little long. "Two Brothers and a bride" is about these two brothers that live on this farm their whole lives with their mother. One day the mom dies and the boys are left to figure out how to run the house hold. The problem is that they can't figure it at all. They decide to try to find a woman who will clean for them but they have trashed the house since it's been sometime since mom has died. They end up loosing the maid that was the only one who applied. One day one of the brothers was in the library and found an ad. The ad was for a trip to Russia to find a bride. The brother signed up for the trip and got the other brother interested. The two brothers end up going on the trip which they find out a lot about themselves. I would suggest this movie to any one. This is a cute film. There is a little extra stuff on the DVD but not much. Please see what you think.[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Book Antiqua]Fritz ;) [/font][/color]
[/color][/size][/font]
½ April 6, 2005
The title of this film as I watched it the other day read [i]2 Brothers & a Bride[/i], but since the pressing of that DVD apparently the title has changed to [i]A Foreign Affair[/i]. I know the name of a movie has absolutely no effect on one's judgement of a film in general, but if I was simply reviewing between these two titles then I'd say they made a greater and more ideal choice with [i]A Foreign Affair[/i]. The new title after seeing the movie just fits better and more comfortably, just as the film itself fits in my underrated movies category.

Tim Blake Nelson and David Arquette play Jake and Josh, two small town farmer brothers who are hit with the loss of their aging mother at the beginning of the film. This is more than just a sad experience for them, more than just the loss of a close relative...this is a life emergency. Their mother took care of every single thing in their lives but farming. She cleaned their clothes and cooked their home cooked meals each day. Jake and Josh cannot go on living unless they have a home cooked dinner every night, so Jake makes a trip to the local library and, with the help of the librarian, logs on to the internet for the first time in his life (or at least it seems like it). He finds a site that displays Russian women that apparently wish to marry American men, and before either of them know it they're in St. Petersburg on a 14 day trip to find a bride. That's singular, not plural. They just want [i]one[/i] bride and only to cook and clean. In exchange she shall receive American citizenship.

Tim Blake Nelson's Jake is very uptight and by the book to every girl he meets and makes it clear what he wants. David Arquette's Josh is reluctant to even go on this trip at first, but once he is there he finds that women all around desire him, which is something he's never experienced before. He becomes a changed man very quickly and he and his brother become more distant at a fast rate. The character in the center of this all is Angela, a journalist who is filming a documentary about the mail order bride phenomenon. She is not from Russia but knows the language fluently, and after some convincing she gets permission to follow Jake around with the camera and also act as a translator for him. Angela is played by Emily Mortimer, one of the most underrated actresses working today. I am extremely excited about the upcoming film she stars in called [i]Dear Frankie[/i], and her past work in [i]Lovely & Amazing[/i], [i]Young Adam[/i], and [i]Bright Young Things [/i]is marvelous. Here she creates a powerful and memorably human character, and her scenes shared with Tim Blake Nelson are enchanting. Their relationship is well conceived by writer Geert Heetebrij and their attraction for each other is unlikely, even to each other.

This is a nice little gem of a movie that deserves to be uncovered by more audiences. Nelson and Arquette both have executive producer credits on this film, which I assume gave it much more of a chance to get out there than it could've had. There is a giant amount of smarts inserted in this tiny low budget movie.
June 30, 2004
May 13, 2013
Strange, but I still enjoyed the film.
May 11, 2013
I am going to pass on this.
April 19, 2013
Cute comedy that didn't have a lot of belly laughs, but was quietly funny in the subtle ways the characters of the two brothers evolved during the film.
October 7, 2012
good movie, not just another shallow comedy
August 31, 2012
I thought it was more of sad film than a comedy, the best character was by Emily Mortimer.
½ July 23, 2012
A.k.a. "A Foreign Affair".
2 guys go to Russia to find a wife that will cook/clean for them. Pretty funny Jake thinks they should share a bride. In the end, they don't.
½ March 31, 2012
love it,funny too,love is so complicated....
½ February 25, 2012
emily mortimer was fantastic in this movie great independent flick
December 2, 2011
oh boy another bizarre love triangle-go figure.
September 20, 2008
Anything with Emily Mortimer :X , this one is recommended
½ July 23, 2011
This movie is horrible, perhaps the worst movie of all times! It has poor acting as well as a bad story line! Do NOT waste your time!
March 15, 2011
This was different and that ending totally took me by suprise.