• R, 1 hr. 31 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

2 Days in New York Reviews

Alice S

July 18, 2013
Not as layered, romantic, or leisurely as "2 Days In Paris." The comedy depends too much on culture clash jokes that don't satirize or reveal anything true or false about the respective cultures, and Chris Rock is uncharacteristically bland as he takes the brunt of well-intentioned racist observations that just kinda fall flat.

Albert Delpy, Julie's real-life father, has a twinkling joie de vivre, and it's always nice to see German wunderkind, Daniel Brühl. The screwball Woody Allen-esque hijinx pick up after Marion's performance art piece of selling her soul to the highest bidder despite not believing in the soul, her subsequent entreaty to one Vincent Gallo, the buyer, to give it back, and her adorably neurotic distress over Gallo having eaten her soul. Julie Delpy is seriously balls-to-the-wall nuts, but she is also simply fantastic.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 19, 2012
"The movie is pretty funny if you have a dark sense of humor. It's raunchy, dysfunctional, and at times, weird. But it all works for this film. I laughed out loud and had a good time watching it. The sister relationship is quite comical. It's like when their together they automatically go back to being bratty teenagers. The Dad is my favorite character. I can't believe some of the stuff he says. He has no filter and is kinda creepy. But he's also lovable in an odd way. The scenes with Marion's father and Mingus sometimes get super awkward. I especially loved the part were their in the kitchen together and Mingus is making her dad coffee. The gown plus the Indian feathered headset and the weird tickling attack is just some awkward fun. I really liked the movie. I would definitely see this again."
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 25, 2012
A hilarious comedy of manners.

Good witty movie! Some scenes made me laugh so hard. Everyone who has been in relationships with someone from another country will definitely appreciate this movie. Finally, this movie is so New Yorkish that it makes it impossible not to like it! The best way to describe this is as a Woody Allen type movie (Woody had nothing to do with this) but that is the feel that it has. The comedy and humor is very offbeat but funny. The dialog in many places is witty and carries the movie. I have to say that this is a strange movie to see Chris Rock in, he does do a good job though, but it's still weird. The movie is pretty good, but the ending got a little bizarre. This is still basically a movie about crazy in-laws but it is pretty funny and worth seeing. Overall, if you are a fan of Woody Allen then you will probably like this movie.

Marion (Delpy) has broken up with Jack (Two Days in Paris) and now lives in New York with their child. But when her family decides to come visit her, she's unaware that the different cultural background held by her new American boyfriend Mingus (Rock), her eccentric father, and her sister Rose who decided to bring her ex-boyfriend along for the trip, added to her upcoming photo exhibition, will make up for an explosive mix.
Nicki M

October 20, 2012
Passable sequel. Not as good as original but Julie Delpy is funny as always and good supporting cast. Enjoyed it.
Anthony L

October 9, 2012
I have to say I'm impressed by Julie Delpy. I didn't think 2 days in Paris really warranted a sequel, it was ok but really nothing special. This time, it's 2 days in New York, at first this is all I thought I needed to know to disregard this as a lazy film but to my surprise it's really good. It's really different too in many ways. Who would be your first choice to replace someone like Adam Goldberg? I'm guessing Chris Rock wouldn't be in the top 5 but here he does quite a good job - although acting like he doesn't know what the hell is going on probably wasn't too hard here. Story-wise, it's pretty much the same 'translation' comedy but Albert Delpy really makes something good. I liked the odd Vincent Gallo cameo, I can see where Julie Delpy is coming from and I admire her self-indulgence. Original, odd, funny and likable.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 12, 2012
"I'm going to be 38, I'm fat, I'm a pain in the ass."

Manhattan couple Marion and Mingus, who each have children from prior relationships, find their comfortable family dynamic jostled by a visit from Marion's relatives.

REVIEW
The sequel to 2007's "2 Days in Paris", with Delpy and Chris Rock starring as a couple in Manhattan, coping with her son and his daughter from previous relationships. They manage quite nicely until her family comes from France for a visit. Dad (her actual father, Albert) is a delightfully eccentric old gent; her sister is a royal pain in the derrière. Even worse, she brings her endlessly annoying boyfriend, with whom Delpy had a brief fling years before. The clashes of three generations worth of cultures, personalities and languages are magnified by cramming so many bodies, and all their baggage, into a tiny Manhattan apartment. Chaos reigns. For about half of the film, the parade of anxieties, resentments and misunderstandings teeters precariously between making us laugh and feel exhausted from sensory overload. There's so much neurotic energy in the air that Rock is the one who seems least crazy! Delpy's creation adds up to a Woody Allen film fueled by crystal meth.
Everett J

September 8, 2012
"2 Days in New York" is the sequel to "2 Days in Paris". This time Marion(Julie Deply) is living with her new boyfriend Mingus(Chris Rock), and raising 2 kids(1 kid from each). Instead of visiting her parents, her Dad and sister, along with Marion's ex Manu come to New York to visit her. Instead of being a conversational movie like the first film, this a pure dysfunctional family movie. Her dad is over sexed, her ex is dating her sister and they get caught with drugs, and the kids have issues dealing with all of it. Deply does good, and Chris Rock is completely different than anything else I've seen him in. He is much more subtle, and not nearly as loud and abrasive as he is in his other movies. It's good to see him do something different. Kind of reminded me of Adam Sandler in "Spanglish". It doesn't always work, but it is nice to see him come out of his element. The movie has a lot of pacing issues, as it does drag, and a lot of times it seems to go of track. My wife didn't really care for it, and it's not something I will probably ever go back to. Good for a one time watch? Sure, if it's free and you want a laugh or two. Otherwise skip, there is much better out there.
Bill D 2007
Bill D 2007

August 31, 2012
Julie Delpy is improving as a filmmaker. "2 Days in New York," her new film, is a nice improvement over her 2007 release, "2 Days in Paris." It's a little uninspiring that the films are so alike and have basically the same title. But Delpy is getting so good at this genre that I wouldn't mind if she did a few more. How about 2 Days in Berlin, Los Angeles, or Tokyo? What would her take on those cities be?

Here she plays a French woman living in New York and married to an American, who is played by Chris Rock. It's inspired casting. Rock is a good actor and has screen charisma. His presence also allows the film to take on American racial issues, which it does with a light comic touch. His character is named Mingus. I loved that little tribute to American jazz. The French have always loved American jazz (and all the brainier forms of black American culture), much more than white Americans have.

The couple and their children play host to Delpy's unusual family, who arrive from France in a whirlwind of goofball comedy. Dad speaks no English and has many quirks. He is played by Delpy's real-life father, adding a pinch of post-modernism.

The sister is an exhibitionist. One of the funniest sequences involves the sister parading around the apartment in only a blouse (no pants or underwear) when the couple has guests. I don't exactly know why, but I kept roaring over this. Watching the guests try not to look at her was hilarious. Watching the sister pretend like everything was normal was also very funny.

The sister's boyfriend is a pot smoker who blithely brings drug dealers to the couple's apartment as if they're friendly neighborhood mailmen. The French have a great comic tradition, which is rarely seen in this country. I'm not sure why, but French comedies rarely get released in the US. You have to live in France to see them. I'm delighted that Delpy is bringing some of that zany French farce to our shores.

The French family that comes to visit is not the only source of comedy. There are also 100 or so great one-liners and comic situations between Delpy and Rock. It's a sparkling script, directed and acted with real verve. The editing is crisp and bright, giving the film a perfect rhythm.

My only concern is that Delpy's style is basically an imitation of Woody Allen. Very urban and talky, with much of the comedy derived from the characters' colorful quirks and neuroses. It's great fun but quite derivative. Delpy is not exhibiting much originality or range as a filmmaker.

But I recently learned that she has made a few films that weren't released in the US, including one based on the legend of Countess Bathory, the Transylvanian princess who allegedly murdered many girls and drank their blood. Perhaps the problem is less with Delpy than with the global distributors, who only seem to be interested in her imitations of Woody Allen.
Markus Emilio Robinson
July 25, 2012
Coming from someone who enjoyed "2 Days in Paris" but was annoyed by the forever cynical and far too whiny Adam Goldberg, "2 Days in New York" is an altogether better rehashing of its predecessor from writer/director Julie Delpy (but this time in New York and with Chris Rock). Starring Delpy, once again as the main character Marion, "2 Days in New York" also sees the same actors reprising their roles, including Alexia Landeau as Rose, the antagonistic sister and Alexandre Nahon as Manu, the horned-up ex-boyfriend (and in this film, Rose's current boyfriend). Delpy, the woman obsessed with exploring finite segments of relationships, has written and directed a film which is visually nowhere near excellent, but does contain an abundance of very witty dialogue that rivals the likes of Woody Allen...if Woody Allen was a neurotic French woman. Let me put it this way; only in a Julie Delpy movie could one hear a "Waiting For Godot" joke followed by a Salt-n-Pepa joke.

The Plot: The very beginning of "2 Days in New York" neatly ties up all loose ends from the previous Jack and Marion relationship and quickly delves into the story of Marion and her new African American (you've hooked me already) boyfriend Mingus (I know, what an unfortunate name) played by Chris Rock. Their relationship is described to be something of a fairytale (but not quite a Disney fairytale, because they are in an interracial relationship). But when Marion's very French family comes to visit, a series of catastrophically comical Woody Allen-esque happenstances ensue, which could result in a breakup; and more astoundingly yet another failed relationship for Marion.

While the chemistry between Rock and Delpy is very convincing here, Delpy's writing is still the driving force which allows this story to work so well. And the reason the writing works so well is, like a great piece of stand-up comedy, Delpy has created a film centered around a series of culturally comical skits dealing with the French/American interactions, or cultural relations. But more impressive (and maybe more importantly) this female Woody Allen has created a venue for Chris Rock to find a happy-medium between his weak dramatic abilities and his strong comedic skills.

Chris Rock as an Actor: I've never thought much of Rock (maybe the funniest comedian alive) as an actor. And who would blame me with a filmography which includes "Grown Ups", "Head of State" and "Osmosis Jones". But, with that said, a movie like "2 Days in New York" sees a type of role Chris Rock should be striving to get. The Mingus character is one that while conducive to a scene or two of Rock's babbling stand-up bit, is accentuated by loads of very subtle adult comedy and some very low key romantic moments, that which showcases Rock's acting potential in a non-slapstick fashion.

Final Thought: Even though, for some people, this entire film may feel like a retelling of its predecessor, only with the characters being a little bit older and the addition of Rock, the "2 Day" premise (as a whole) is still a very strong one that hasn't gotten old yet. In my opinion, even if all of the jokes are based on the familiar lost in translation sequences, Delpy's joke writing is so strong that through her films audiences can see the blueprints of what a good culture clash romantic comedy is suppose to look like. Long story short, if you are trying to decide between going to see "2 Days in New York" or "To Rome with Love", I'll put it to you this way: interracial relationships all the way.

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland

Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus
Carlos M

March 28, 2012
In this pathetic follow-up to the enjoyable first film, Delpy seems to have run out of inspiration, aiming at silly, predictable jokes that get tired really fast - maybe they work better on paper than on screen. Besides, the story is just a lot of clichés.
Dann M

March 31, 2013
Writer/director Julie Delpy delivers another pretentious and crude indie comedy in 2 Days in New York. The story of Marion continues in this sequel to 2 Days in Paris as this time her family comes to New York City to stay with her and her boyfriend. Unfortunately, the characters are rather callous and insipid, which sets a dark tone. The writing is appallingly bad and tries to be insightful, but comes off as arrogant. A lackluster comedy with very few laughs, 2 Days in New York has nothing to offer.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

August 27, 2012
Normally, Marion(Julie Delpy, who directed and co-wrote), a photographer, would be ecstatic at seeing her family again, even including her sister Rose(Alexia Landeau, who co-wrote). But her father(Albert Delpy) getting stopped at customs for trying to bring in cheese and sausage into the country, along with Manu(Alex Nahon), Rose's sort of/maybe boyfriend, who turns out to be a less than a pleasant surprise, takes some of the joy out of this Halloween visit. Now, everybody is crammed together in the Manhattan apartment Marion shares with her significant other Mingus(Chris Rock), a radio host, and their respective two children, leaving Mingus and Marion little spare room to figure out how to have sex with their glasses on. That's not to mention the gallery show Rose has coming up where like every other artist since the beginning of time she will sell her soul.

"2 Days in New York" is a funny and engaging movie from Julie Delpy, of which my favorite parts were the puppets. While the characters can be crude from time to time, the movie is not really. A lot of that goes towards the movie's exploration of family as generating lots of messy emotions. As Marion puts it in her case of the collision of two families and cultures, they can be even more complex. For her, the question comes down to has she really been able to escape the insanity of her past life. And, yes, it is a little weird that Chris Rock is playing straight man to this three ring circus. Even with a great cameo late in the movie, I am still left wondering what exactly Kate Burton and Dylan Baker are supposed to be doing here.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

May 22, 2012
First of all I'd like to convey a message to film-makers from the bottom of my heart. PLEASE, ENOUGH WITH THE CELEBRITY CAMEOS! YOU'RE MAKING A MOVIE NOT A FUCKING EPISODE OF "HAPPY DAYS"! This crass stunt seems to be polluting every other movie in recent years. I recall it first with Bill Murray's cringeworthy appearance as himself in "Zombieland". Sigourney Weaver seems to have based her entire current career on these parts. The cameo by Vincent Gallo in this film is particularly mishandled. Most viewers have no idea who Gallo is (Only the director of the best movie of the nineties and the worst movie of the noughties!), so the script has him literally list his achievements. Please, no more, it's really irritating, it's cheap, it's not clever and it never improves any film. Enough!
Okay, better move on before the exclamation key on my laptop breaks. The movie itself? Well it begins very promisingly, an alternative spin on a worn out theme, the culture clash comedy. The first twenty minutes or so are laugh out loud, the director's father and Rock are brilliantly uncomfortable together. As the narrative expands though more and more cliches enter the mix. If I have any French readers perhaps you could explain your country's juvenile obsession with bodily functions? It's 2012, do you seriously still snigger at the sight of a bare backside? This toilet humor rendered the French characters no more than an obnoxious bunch of prats. At one point Delpy Snr keys a limo and the audience are expected to laugh along with him. Sorry that's not comedy, that's called being an asshole.
Thankfully there's no reference made to Delpy and Rock's mixed relationship but Rock's character is reduced to a stereotype thanks to countless scenes of him conversing with a lifesize cardboard Obama. The great shame is that Rock is a genuinely talented comic performer and this could have been a chance for him to stretch his acting chops. He's easily the best part of the film but sadly also the smallest part. This guy is crying out for a lead role in a Woody Allen movie.
What had the potential to be a sophisticated comedy is ultimately let down by a brand of humor that even Adam Sandler would find crude. It certainly won't improve Franco-American relations.
Sunil J

September 2, 2012
This couple is oddly perfect for eachother but it takes a while for us to understand it. A flawed but charming sequel that wins mainly because of the return of Marion's father (Delpy's real-life dad).
February 28, 2013
Oops, I didn't realize this was a sequel, but I doubt that would have mattered much. I'm a huge Chris Rock fan and I think he's one of the funniest comedians in the business. He's why I watched this film. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't remotely memorable either. My problem is that it seemed like there was no script, everyone just ad-libbed whatever they felt like saying, and more often than not, it wasn't funny. There was an element of constant frustration, like a comedy of errors, and sometimes that's fun to watch, but this wasn't very comedic and the frustrations were just annoying. Meh.
January 19, 2013
This was a random grab off the TiVo via the HD Net movie channel, and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially as I could identify with Chris Rock's character being invaded by In-Laws and throwing his whole life into a weird tailspin.

Funny stuff, worth a look.
April 17, 2012
Wow, there is a lot of very fast talked dialogue in this movie! It is funny and a bit off the wall. Very entertaining.
September 8, 2012
I believe French actress, screenwriter and aspiring director Julie Delpy is an improving director. While I preferred the first of her 2 Days films, this one is better than her other higher-profile directing effort The Countess. We first meet Delpy's character, Marion, in the French farce 2 Days in Paris in which she plays a native Parisian roaming the streets and encountering family domestic drama with her boyfriend played by Adam Goldberg. Goldberg isn't seen in this sequel as their relationship didn't work out, and Delpy (Before Sunset/Sunrise/Midnight, Broken Flowers, The Hoax) has moved on and moved to New York to live with her new boyfriend, Mingus (Chris Rock - SNL, Down to Earth, Good Hair). Marion is a frazzled mother, a struggling artist so destitute she's planning on selling her soul at an upcoming gallery event, and a patiently impatient fish-out-of-water Parisian walking the streets of NYC. Her frantic life becomes even more bedraggled with the arrival of her jovial father (played by Delpy's real-life father, Albert Delpy) and self-obsessed, vain and utterly clueless sister, Rose (Alexia Landeau - Marie Antoinette, 2 Days in Paris, Moonlight Mile), who thinks nothing-whatsover of walking around in the buff among relative strangers. The cherry-on-top of the entire situation is that Rose brings along her current beau, Manu (Alexandre Nahon), a pot-smoking, Obama-obsessed ex of Marion's who understands ALL THINGS feminine, African American and art. The film is nothing more than this group of characters TRYING to get along but miserably failing and while some of it is charming and works, a lot of it comes across as wanting to be a female, French Woody Allen. Woody Allen handles this humor and dysfunction better which is detrimental to 2 Days in New York but Delpy has witten enough witty/funny dialogue to keep this from being a waste of time. While some of the scenarios and situations are overdone and trite, it is the listening to her words that make this one worthwhile. It is too bad that it isn't more of a success; but Delpy is getting there.
September 10, 2012
Nothing like having a visit form the family to shake an already delicate relationship balance, especially when its a family that embodies up close and personal. That's 2 Days in New York, a bawdy and delicious comic marvel in which French writer-director-star Julie Delpy (she of the enchanting Before Sunrise and Before Sunset) explores how closeness can create the deepest wounds and draw the most blood. Delpy is Marion, a photographer first introduced in Delpy's 2 Days in Paris from 2007. In that film, Marion brief visit with her family caused a huge rift between her and her companion (Adam Goldberg). IN this film, Marion takes the reverse course. Her gallery opening prompts an unexpected visit from her Paris family, which include dad Jeannot (Delpy's actual father, Albert), her sister Rose (Alexia Landeau, who wrote the script with Delpy) and Rose's zany boyfriend Manu (Alex Nahon).

This time too Jack is nowhere to be seen, replaced by Mingus (Chris Rock, with a cool character name), a journalist and radio host who is a bit short-fused when it comes to his space and who occupies the cramped apartment he shares with Marion's son and his daughter from another marriage. Delpy is just incandescent as always, and Rock is all kinds of fun, the best he's ever been onscreen, especially in his imaginary debates he stages with President Obama. Rock is no stranger to this sort of material, his 2006 I Think I Love My Wife was essentially a remake of Eric Rohmer's Chloe in The Afternoon. The cross-cultural bits get tiresome quickly, and that's what zaps much of the life of this lovely drama. All the gags only serve to eschew the larger theme at play here: how strong ties to family can make love an all out war. Great film to chew on.
August 15, 2012
Moments of genuine life mixed with intriguing scenes (e.g. a favorite one with Vincent Gallo) that reveal Delpy's Frenchness. She, by the way, has not lost a bit of her charm, but is the mom now instead of the street-roving, Ethan-Hawke-doting belle. Chris Rock was not only likable but was also believable. Not sure he had a romantic chemistry with Delpy. Some scenes were gratuitously and stereotypically "New York," yet Delpy's and Landeau's lack of knowledge of the city was betrayed through this. Still, her admiration of NYC, even as one not born here, comes through in a film that is not unlike a Woody Allen flick, including the music and end titles. My wife Karen and I enjoy her immensely, yet find it odd how she appears so preoccupied with "cunnilingus," both in her song lyrics and filmmaking.