Weekly Ketchup: 300's Zack Snyder to direct Superman

Summary

This week saw Hollywood announcing projects in overtime, with many movies not making the top 10 cut of the Ketchup that would have easily done so in other weeks. So, I snuck some of those in with other stories, so you're really getting a top 15. Included in the mix are news stories for the Spider-Man and Superman reboot projects, movie musicals based on both the Beach Boys and Jersey Boys, and possible new roles for Sandra Bullock, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Jodie Foster, Tom Hanks and Mike Myers. Back to Article

Comments

Johnathan Parker

Johnathan Parker

Yeah Zack Snyder. Cant wait for the Superman movie.

Oct 10 - 06:49 AM

Lucas Z.

Lucas Zumsteg

When the list for Christopher Nolan's production of the new Superman film, my first thought was, "This movie will be awesome if producer Nolan teams up with Director Snyder." Low and behold it is done. So this film will be awesome, Certified fresh my perdiction.

Oct 10 - 09:45 AM

Lucas Z.

Lucas Zumsteg

Is it just me or does Johnny Depp need to stop doing Burton movies and start expanding himself into more versatile roles, not just a Tim Burton (who hasn't had an original idea since Beetle Juice) freak show, and I do understand that Tim gave Johnny his big break.

Oct 10 - 09:51 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

Oui. X2 is a good movie in its own right and appeals to both X-Men fans and the average moviegoer. On the other hand Watchmen offers little to those who haven't read or didn't care for the graphic novel.

Oct 10 - 09:59 AM

algreen99

AL Green

See the thing is, if i were to go after someone for lack of substance i would go after the screenwriter. Ironically Xmen 2 and Watchmen both had the same co writer on the their screenplays.

Oct 10 - 09:07 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

A screenwriter isn't everything.

The same guys who wrote Star Trek '09 wrote Transformers 2. The guy who helped write Toy Story also wrote Alien Resurrection. A guy who wrote Apollo 13 and Cast Away also did the Planet of the Apes remake.

I could probably find a hundred examples of a writer who helped make something really good and something really bad. Scripts go through rewrites. Directors offer their visions. Actors bring their takes. Very rarely does a final movie look anything like what the screenwriter envisioned.

As Stephen King said, you can't polish a turd. But you can turn gold into crap.

Oct 10 - 11:38 PM

algreen99

AL Green

Of course you could give me a hundred examples by looking online. Most of us on here can do that. As for the screenwriters vision, of course when theyre writing it they envision something in their head then they hand it off and know the main and final vision will be the directors. Thats all common sense, moving on. X men and Xmen 2 sucked. The only part I liked was when Night Crawler kicked ass in the white house. Brain Singer and his people had hundreds if not thousands of source material they could have looked into for the look, style, and story. In the end both Xmen movies were horrible, boring, and was a shell of what it could or should have been. Ratners Xmen 3 is in George Clooney Batman territory so it doesnt even count. Zack Snyder managed to direct two limited series comic book movies. 300 and Watchmen are not continuities like the Xmen and were never meant to be. They havent had 5 decades to be embedded in the minds of the public like the Xmen. They havent had multiple cartoons through out the decades gathering the love of different generations like the Xmen. By all rights Xmen and Xmen 2 should have done better than 300 and neither of them did. I personally have never bought a comic book but I love comic book characters and thanks to the internet I know about my favorite characters like the back of my hand. You can say Synder copied and pasted all you want. I wish he had directed Xmen. Myself and comic book fans want a masked wolverine on the big screen, they want to see batman go up against killer croc, they want to see superman fighting darksied and doomsday, they want to see the lizard go against Spiderman, they want to see the xmen go up against Sentinels, they want to see gambit with ruby glowing red eyes. If a director cant please the base fans of a comic book movie they shouldnt be allowed to go near a sequel. They should do something else to please the general public and leave comic book movies to people like snyder. Chris Nolan picked the right man for the job.

Oct 11 - 06:05 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

You're arguing against X-Men entirely on your personal preference. If you're going to argue that one is better than another at the very least use facts, not simply your opinion. Because in my opinion 300 and Watchmen were not that entertaining while X-Men and X2 are some of my favorites.

On Rotten Tomatoes 300 and Watchmen are both in the 60s, on the edge of the rotten territory, while X-Men are both in the 80s. 300, Watchmen, and X2 all have 7.8 on IMDb while X-Men has 7.4, not a big difference there and all four are pretty standard. Watchmen profited (gross minus budget) $55,258,983; 300 made 396,068,181; X-Men made 221,339,527; and X2 made 297,711,549. As you can see, the biggest profiter has the lowest RT rating while the second highest critical rated has the lowest IMDb. None of these support each other so there's no truly terrible movie here. So it all goes down to personal preference. I don't like Watchmen, you don't like X-Men.

You imply that X-Men "failed" because of it's prominence in American society. Well, whatever X-Men has Superman has at least double. Supes is essentially the first superhero and thirty years on X-Men and most Marvel properties. Supes had radio shows, animated series, and shorts when Stan Lee was a nobody. Superman basically set the standard by which all other superheroes are measured. He's also had two extremely successful and highly influential films, one good direct-to-video readaptation of the second, two lousy movies, and one which just didn't succeed as much as WB wanted but was still financially and critically successful. Snyder has only adapted two limited series that few non-comic book fans were even aware of.

So how is Snyder going to handle the transition from adapting no-one's-heard-of comics to the most iconic American superhero of all time? That remains to be seen. But again going back to personal preference, I don't have a lot of faith in him while you clearly do. In my opinion, the success of 300 and Watchmen is largely due to Snyder's technical prowess and the quality of the source material, but neither do much for those who are not comic book fans and/or know the source material. In my opinion, X-Men and X2 were quality movies on their own despite the obvious hardships of adapting a series that literally features hundreds of characters each vying for their own development time. In my opinion, Superman Returns was a quality movie despite being too similar to the 1979 version. In my opinion, Snyder's involvement does not inspire much hope in the next Superman movie. In my opinion...

Oct 11 - 11:21 AM

algreen99

AL Green

Of course its my personal preference, Any back and forth, debate or argument is ones personal preference. As for facts 300 did better worldwide then both Xmens individually so what exactly am i lying about? By the way I dont ever imply anything. I either type it or i dont. I stated 300 did better than xmen and xmen 2 indiviually and it did. I didnt use the word fail. Im glad you brought the 30 years Superman had on Xmen in american culture, and your boy Brian Singer made an atrocity out of that to. Here he was 26 years later since Donners first film and he didnt even come close to making a classic like Donners first film. Even with technology being 26 years more advanced he used CGI when it was not necessary for close shots of superman flying. Ya, Lex tries to get land, lex tricks sups with that green rock, and sups lifts up a big rock. Real entertaining. Singer has had 3 opportunities with Xmen and Sups and all 3 sucked to me. If i wanted to see something like the first donner film I will pop in the 1978 film. I felt so bad for Brandon Routh because everyone blamed him and not Singer. Oh and Art, did you really just put some stock in the Rotten rating system? This is a site that rated Twilight better than The Davinci Code, Hannible, and Kingdom of Heaven. According to them the first Twilight is better than any movie rated under 50 percent. I know a whole lot of great movies rated under 50 percent. This site says Knocked up is better than Batman Begins so please save your imdb and rotten ratings for someone else. You cant be serious right now.

Oct 12 - 12:03 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

Of course I am serious. Captain Sarcastica is always serious. Except when he's being sarcastic. And this time he is serious. I am quite serious in saying that you should use facts, some hard data, before asserting that a movie is "horrible" and "a shell of what it should have been" especially since the numbers say otherwise. I am serious in saying that there is no concrete way of judging the success of a movie, but Rotten Tomatoes, the Internet Movie Database, and the box office numbers are the best indication. I am also serious in saying that no one of these is truly indicative of a success since all have problems. I am serious in believing that in order to judge a success you must look at a combination of the three. I am serious in thinking that Watchmen followed the original graphic novel too closely as if the filmmakers didn't really know how to properly transition from comic to film. I am serious in thinking that 300 looked great and had entertaining action but lacked sufficient story and character development. I am serious in thinking that The Da Vinci Code also followed the book too closely and featured too much exposition without capturing the intrigue of the book. I am serious in thinking that Hannibal was a poorly made movie that failed to emulate the suspense of the first. I am serious in thinking that RoboCop is the absolute best movie ever made in the history of mankind. I am serious in knowing that you are just going to keep arguing against nearly every point I make despite the fact that it still will not garner in me any faith that Snyder will make a superb Superman film. I am serious by claiming that you should have spent more time arguing the positives of Snyder's work and stayed away from simply attacking other movies. I am serious in that I will wait until we begin to hear some details on the movie before I truly begin either bashing or supporting the movie.

Oct 12 - 12:15 AM

algreen99

AL Green

Riiiggghhhhttt. RT, IMDB, and the box office numbers are the best indications you say? You know what is even a better indication on if a movie is good or horrible? Someone seeing it themselves. I saw both Xmens with my own eyes and absolutely hated them. According to you if rotten and IMDB likes it and the Box is high than me hating it is somehow misguided because the numbers say otherwise? You say (before asserting that a movie is horrible) acting like I havent seen Xmen? Let me restate it again, I watched both Xmens with my own eyes. Do you understand that Art? Ive never judged a movie without seeing it on this site. A person seeing a movie and their own opinions of it afterwords far outweigh RT, IMDB, and Box Office. Their personal opinion is the only thing that matters. Your opinions are ok with me Art, it just so happens you like some movies I think are trash vice versa. Again, your opinions are ok with me so please dont wine about me arguing or act like im trying to garner your support for Synder here. This is what goes on on a site like this, banter, debate, and back and forths. Im not asking you to like Snyder or hate Xmen. You say i attacked other movies instead of focusing on Snyders positives? Wrong. I asked you a specific question about Singers Xmen compared to Watchmen and thats the topic I stayed on until you brought up Superman Returns and when Superman came out in the late 30s. Look, I am OK and except the fact that you think Twilight is better than Kingdom Of Heaven. I am Ok with you thinking Knocked Up is better than Batman Begins.

Oct 12 - 02:52 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

None of this sounds interesting, except for the Bigelow project. And whose bright idea was it to get Snyder to direct Superman? The man of steel requires finesse, something Snyder couldn't understand as his idea of filmmaking is to throw buckets of blood at the screen. Fail

Oct 10 - 04:11 PM

algreen99

AL Green

Oct 10 - 09:07 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

Damn, I think Synder will be a mistake unless Nolan takes a large part of the production. I still think Duncan Jones (Moon) would have been the better choice. While he's not a major name neither was Nolan when he took on Batman Begins and it made him a major director, even though he had already done the brilliant films Following, Memento and Insomnia. I think Jones would have handled things better as his lack of experience in major films would have given it something unique. Still Synder/Nolan might still make something great. Who Knows?

Oct 10 - 10:35 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

A screenwriter isn't everything.

As Stephen King said, you can't polish a turd. But you can turn gold into crap.

Oct 10 - 11:38 PM

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!