62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

30 Days of Night Reviews

Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

November 21, 2011
There are not many decent vampire films to date. Unfortunately, 30 Days of Night doesn't satisfy all those looking for a saviour. However, it does deliver some decent scares.
Lady D

June 20, 2007
"Magnificently scary...The vampire film finally draws blood again" - Not my words this appears on the back cover of the dvd, which I feel is the quite contrary to my own thoughts on this film.

I'm no expert on this genre, in fact I've only just strarted watching Vampire films in the last couple of months, however I feel this is one of the dullest I've seen so far. There's nothing scary (a couple of slightly gory parts) nothing tense, just a little too boring.

The best thing about this film is the box it came in - it was impressive and has a little comic booklet.

I think you've guessed it, it's not a recommendation.
Phil H

November 2, 2007
Not bad vamp flick, not really scary or spooky but very bloody and gory. The story and location is slightly original and it looks good, very slick but it kinda reminds me of 'AvP'. The vamps aren't really like traditional vamps more like aliens or creatures and not really effective for me, without their spooky romantic appearance they seem more like animals and you don't connect with them, but I guess that's the difference here.

Their look isn't too good either but the leader looks good and certainly menacing, different from the usual long haired look. It is very bleak and dark but the Artic location just doesn't work with vamps, the two just don't really blend, maybe its just me but I just couldn't get into it. There's nothing too special with the cast either, also the ending, killing the leader, how did he do it?? makes no sense really.

On the plus side it is very faithful to the original source material, a good adaptation with retains all elements of gore and atmosphere.
Jens S

October 17, 2007
The idea of a vampire attack in Alaska, where there won't be daylight for 30 days is fantastic of course. And the set-up is still pretty interesting and promising. Sadly, you notice rather soon that the film is not making the most of it. The majority of the characters is rather uninteresting and their demise rather predictable. There are glimpses of greatness, in the cam above the village shot, for example. But then there is a lot of repetitive running and hiding that doesn't really get the audience involved. It doesn't help that the vampires are overacting and trying to be super cool. So by the time of the, admittedly rather unexpected but also rather silly, solution you just don't care anymore.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
Take some notes you Twilight fans; this is how you make a vampire film.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
Cast: Josh Hartnett, Danny Huston, Ben Foster, Mark Rendall, Melissa George, Amber Sainsbury, Joel Tobeck

Director: David Slade

Summary: When a monthlong period of darkness sets in on the tiny Alaskan town of Barrow, the locals are visited by a flock of bloodthirsty vampires who are eager to take advantage of the no-sun zone, prompting the town sheriff (Josh Hartnett) to act fast to save the day.

My Thoughts: "It's always a pleasant surprise when a director gets a vampire film right. The vampires in the film look amazing. I loved the shape of their eyes. The little girl in the General Store was by far the creepiest of them all. I didn't find the movie scary, but I did find the scenario terrifying. The thought of being in such a deserted town is scary enough, then adding some blood lusting vamps to it really makes it even more creeptastic. Great vampire flick, if you haven't seen it, give it a chance. "
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Surprisingly scary, wasn't aware it was about zombies. A must see!
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

June 11, 2011
three stars...
Adam M

February 14, 2011
Weird ellipses cheat us in the narrative ... Jump cuts in the fights and the strobey effect make things look like a video game melee ... Dialogue and timing is great until Ben Foster, as a grizzled vagrant Renfield figure opens his mouth 10 minutes in. The whole movie is elevated by a several stunning images of human beings walking across vast, desolate snowscapes against towering clouds. With man already pitted against nature, vampires are really a bum trip.

There are some great comic book style close-ups. Not sure how I feel about these tattooed vampires who look like the mutants in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and act like smarty-pants werewolves who worship the philosophy of Max Stirner. Too much stuff with brothers, wives and grandmothers is added to make Josh Harnett look more like a sentimental role model or a hero with gravitas ( --they never did this to Harnett's doppelganger Jan Michael Vincent, whose etched, angular good looks made him seem about as feeling as his character from The Mechanic). Mark Boone Jr. is likable just for his character's taking action instead of moments to emote.

Danny Huston makes a great monster. Ben Foster is no tough guy or grizzled anything; he just does it better than Ben Savage would. (-- Foster somehow got to play Jan Michael Vincent's role in the remake of The Mechanic.)
Anthony L

December 22, 2010
A really good horror film and very pleasant surprise! It's a road well trodden but this feels fresh and original, I might have to seek out the comics on which they are based. It is certainly one of the most visually beautiful horror films I've ever seen and David Slade makes the jump from Warp Music video master to motion picture director perfectly. More please!
skactopus
skactopus

September 29, 2010
Thanks to Steve Niles' comic book miniseries, David Slade gets the chance to bring 30 Days of Night to life.Hovering around 1 hour and 50 minutes, 30 Days of Night chugs along at multiple speeds. The story itself does span 30 days; however, everything that takes place during the film seems like it happens in only a matter of a couple. The concept behind the story is actually quite interesting, but there are many a place where the picture gets tedious.The highlight of the film are the "vampires." They are freakishly evil looking and the violence and gore that they bring to the screen is a definite plus. The suspenseful level is another asset.There are plot holes in regards to the backgrounds of these creatures of the night, as well as the story. The protagonists, on the other hand, do have enough background to be likable. Still, there isn't much to cheer for. Josh Hartnett and Melissa George put up acceptable performances and another person worth mentioning is Ben Foster.Sure, 30 Days of Night revolves around vampires, but there are still other unbelievable situations that hamper enjoyment. Approach with caution.
Alexander W

September 11, 2010
What was this film made for? Josh Harnett shouldn't be cast in this film, perhaps I missed the hype surrounding this film and yes there were good parts but really? If the creators of this movie had the correct cast for a horror movie and more information about the horrors of vampires feeding off Alaskan residents I would like it. None of these vampires were scary, they looked tough as nails but I was bored all the way through. It was so friggin cliche.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 1, 2010
After the very bad I Am Legend (I am a big fan of the novel) I needed something that delivered on the vampire goods. In 30 Days Of Night, I found that and much more. A terrific film from start to finish, 30 Days Of Night is one of the best vampire films since the first From Dusk Till Dawn. Lacking an awesome story (the plot is somewhat simple), Night is still a fine film that delivers on everything that makes a great vampire film. This isn't those crappy Blade films half man half vampire, no. These vampires are the real deal. A film that blends elements of old school vampire styles with a modern twist, this film redefines the vampire film. Very bloody, and gory; there is no shortage of vampire violence to be found within. The cast does a very good job and deliver credible and believable performances. The film is a non stop horror ride, and the feel of helplessness is apparent as the survivors are sieged in a small town in the middle of nowhere in Alaska with no one to come to their aid. This is a very original vampire film, but won't be remembered as one of the greats. The genius that was found here was surpassed by the Swedish vampire film, Let The Right One in, which along with this one brings credibility to the vampire film. After those atrocious Twilight films which are a travesty on vampire films, it's good to know that there are some vampire films out there that really are great, and in the case of 30 Days Of Night, it certainly does.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

July 22, 2010
Holes-filled but stylish vampire-like flick that relies too much on been-there, done-that horror flick tricks to incite jolts.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
It was decent! But i've seen better vampire flicks!
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Vampires have never been this interesting. They were so much more viscous than anything I've seen. Josh Hartnett and Melissa George were great and Ben Foster was almost too creepy. Nothing was over dramatized or corny, which is hard to do in a vampire movie. It had a John Carpenter feel to it, which added to the great story and characters. What made it the most interesting was the role change for the vampires. They weren't high class seducers, they were a pack of animals.
Dan S

October 21, 2007
The first half is superb, with some bloodletting action and unseen elements being tossed in successfully. Its a decent movie, but its major downfall is its cliched ending as well as a plot that is fundamentally flawed. Also, I didn't like how they introduced us to such a strange and creepy character like Ben Foster only to axe him off early on, seemed like a tease that he was going to become a big character.
Cassandra M

October 18, 2007
Just saw it. AWESOME!! If you are a true fan of this genre, run-don't walk, to see this flick asap. (and you might wanna try to get home before dark..) he he. The setting is bleak and sufficiently creepy. The concept is absolute genius and the effects are state of the art. Vampire imagery is rarely portrayed in so savage a style without coming off as violence for violence' sake or just another attempt at the gross-out factor. Kudos to the filmmakers for (by all accounts) staying true to the graphic novel from which the movie was derived. I have read the graphic novel and it's truly stick to it.