61% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

30 Days of Night Reviews

October 20, 2007
had some sweet scenes in it, but not very good, gets kina boring too...
February 21, 2014
ok another vampire tale
February 17, 2014
There are sparks of originality but the movie is brought down by a bunch of cliches and dumb characters.
February 8, 2014
Horror tipico sui vampiri, con un estetica tra fumetto e videoclip.
Sandman1968
February 8, 2014
The vampire genre has been stagnant and in a state of steady decline for some time now, but all it takes is one brash and inventive entry to shake things up a bit. "30 Days of Night" is one such film, as everything about it feels fresh and rejuvenating from the setting to the creatures themselves.

The idea behind this film is a novel one, and setting the film in Barlow Alaska is inventive. The stark cinematography is oddly beautiful. Still, as it should be, the vampires are really the stars here and they are also quite impressive. The screenwriters took the time necessary to make them the film's centerpiece in terms of their look and way of speaking. An entirely new language was created for them, and it's quite terrifying to hear them speak.

Even though it's impossible to understand them without the subtitles, they each have their own personality, and Danny Huston actually gives the best performance in the film as their leader. Credit director David Spade for the movie's unique visual style that sets it apart from all other similarly themed pictures. It's mirthless and grim, but also imparts some unusually telling information about the vampire mythology as Huston says they spent centuries convincing people they were only bad dreams.

It's moments like that one that really makes "30 Days of Night" something special. The set-up is spectacularly foreboding and the conclusion is thrilling. Not to mention that these creatures of the night are a unique breed you won't find anywhere else.
Ethan M.
February 6, 2014
While cliched at some points, this movie provides a lot more thrills, excitement and drama than other "horror movies" that have been released in recent years. And the modern update to Bram Stoker's creation is a lot better and scarier than the glittery kind.
Vincent
January 22, 2014
*THE OFFICIAL BETTER THAN JUNO SEAL*

Man, this had some real potential. I mean, this could have been in the makings of a great horror flick. Ultimately, it falls flat on it's ass and ends up as one of the few horror films that had unrealized potentials. I mean, the concept is pretty awesome. Vampires roaming an Alaskan town for 30 days of no rules. That would have been a masterpiece in the hands of a greater director/screenwriter. Give it to someone like the director of Ringu (Not the Gore Verbinski remake) and we would be talking some of the creepiest shit ever. Unfortunately, while there are pretty cool moments, it doesn't mask the cliched script, cardboard characters, and pretty weak performances. I really wanted to like this, but it's not good.

30 Days of Night is about a small local town in Alaska. Of course, if you knew anything about your geography, you'd know Alaska is very cold, causing huge snowstorms. So once every year, these snowstorms cover the sun, literally giving Alaska 30 days of night. Imagine going to school at nighttime. Pretty intense right? Well, just before this begins, a ship carrying around, oh let's say, 100/200 vampires enter the coast of this city. So, enter our main character, Eben. He's a sheriff, who is snooping around the town due to weird occurrences. Then, to his and everyone's horror, the town is raided by the vampires, killing practically everyone. So, Eben and his friends hide from the vampires, trying to survive. That premise is epic. No words needed. A film where vampires can roam all around all day is pretty cool. Especially, considering that the film is practically shot at night.

Unfortunately, that is where most positives end. Ben Foster appears as the psycho, loony man, who warns everyone of the vampires' arrival, and he's really great. Unfortunately, he gets little screen time. And his character goes nowhere.....No literally, he goes nowhere. He's handcuffed to a bed. That's as good as the acting gets cause everyone else's was pure dogshit. Seriously, for a guy who was up and coming as Josh Hartnett was, he really wasn't that good of an actor. Also, this is the film that killed his career. Seriously, where did this guy go? The female lead was the worst. Every line was stiff and she proves again why blondes can't act. But that's okay so long as the film has great dialogue, right!!!!??

WRONG!!! This film has the worst one-liners ever. Even Ben Foster's line "Their coming tonight." sounded really stupid. Seriously, don't go into this film expecting an Oscar worthy script. Also, there were many plotholes. Like when so-and-so turns himself/herself into a vampire, he/she says "I can smell you guys' blood." That's cool and all, but how come the other vampires couldn't smell them when they were hiding? I guess the script writer forgot that. Also, the death of the villain (Oh, and it's not a spoiler cause we all know the villain dies) is terrible!!! A fist rams through his head? What? Seriously, that was the worst villain death ever. Kill yourselfs, David Slade and Steve Niles. Seriously, this could have been a great film! Why, oh why, do I get this feeling like the writer just quit halfway through and say "Fuck it, let me get the dough."

Overall, 30 Days of Night is a very terrible disappointment. From an awesome concept and some genuinely scary scenes (OKAY, JUST ONE!!), this film falls flat. It's a shame too considering the costume design was pretty neat and Ben Foster gave a good performance. The film just doesn't cohere like it should have. Instead, we're given a weird death scene. Followed by a huge rip off of the ending of Blade 2. Seriously, it's the same exact scene. Just with white folk and a different setting. If you know me, you should know how much film tropes/rip offs really piss me off. After an interesting start, some good trailers, and an amazing concept, the film itself is nowhere near as cool as the things I mentioned. It just doesn't work. Nope. Not at all.

3/10
June 16, 2008
This is a cool, gory, and scary movie. wohoo!!
CherB
June 21, 2008
I really want to see this, apparently its very good but my husband doesn't really like horror films so I haven't seen it yet.
andrew t.
January 3, 2014
Suprisingly unique for its horror genre...and a 5 star vampire movie!!! Beware, its grisly and violent; but also well acted, well directed, and above all: well done. If vampires were actually real...I feel like they would be more like these monsters.
October 17, 2007
stilll such an excellent vampire film with a twist,sort of a cat & mouse between the survivors & the vampires
a fave film
lots of gory deaths
its a shame that hartnett's character was killed off though now that a sequel is coming it would have been good to see hartnett's character come back , its a shame the sequel went straight to dvd
December 21, 2013
You move to Alaska and rewatch 30 Days of Night to see if it's a secret analogy for Seasonal Affective Disorder or an indictment of the pipeline, but that's a level of reaching that says more about your own desperate ass than anything else.
December 16, 2013
Stylish, but too messy and unfocused to be anything great. David Slade invokes John Carpenter for this vampire horror flick, which actually brings horror back to the vampire theme.
Sgt. Cockstrain
March 25, 2013
A slightly unique spin on the vampire concept with the night lasting for 30 days but really it makes very little difference as the human prey get picked off one by one just as they would if the movie had only 12 hour long nights, so its a pretty pointless gimmick that perhaps works better in the comic books than it does here. The only fun to be had comes from the gore and the fact that the head vamp looks remarkably like the singer from the pet shop boys.
December 4, 2013
A good horror film is hard to come by and one featuring fictional creatures is even harder. With that in mind, 30 Days of Night has an especially horrifying premise and a relentlessly violent execution. You don't get to know the characters well. What you get are people, like you, me and everyone else, except they live in an isolated frozen tundra which turns into a buffet line for some merciless vampires. This struggle for survival tale is well worth the time and is not so reminiscent of 28 Days Later as some would lead you to believe.
Gimly M

November 25, 2013
A new-age, brilliant vampire movie that never got the acclaim it rightfully deserved.

30 Days of Night is one of the few films I like that I can never understand why other people don't. Though I do prefer other movies like Revolver, Doomsday and Donnie Darko to it, with those I can always understand when people don't see in them what I do. With 30 Days of Night, if you don't have a problem with gore, then you shouldn't have a problem with the film. And yet I have personal friends as well as people I've heard from online who totally dig horror, gore, vampires etc. and yet don't like 30 Days of Night, which confuses me all to Hell, let me tell you.

Though I was mildly aggravated by the inconstancies in the number of vampires around, other than that I can find virtually nothing bad to say about 30 Days of Night. Firstly you have Josh Hartnett (Halloween H20: 20 Years Later, The Faculty, The Virgin Suicides, Hollywood Homicide, Sin City, The Wrong Man, Resurrecting the Champ, Singularity) as Sheriff Eben, protagonist, secondly you have Danny Huston (21 Grams, The Proposition, The Constant Gardner, Children of Men, The Number 23, The Kingdom, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Clash of the Titans, The Warrior's Way, Robin Hood [2010]) as Marlow (above centre), leader of the vampires, who attack Alaska during the winter period of 30 days without sun (which in and of itself is an awesome concept, and thirdly there's Ben Foster (The Punisher, X-Men: The Last Stand, 3:10 to Yuma, Pandorum, The Mechanic) as the vampire's human lapdog, all of whom are personal favourites of mine. That's not even mentioning the fact that Eben's wife is played by Australian Melissa George (Dark City, Mulholland Drive, Charmed, The Amityville Horror [2005], Turistas, Triangle), who was born in my hometown, so even if she wasn't a great actor, she'd get auto-points.

Basically every point in which 30 Days of Night differentiates from the comic it's based on is an improvement to the story, which is (gasp, shock, horror) a mildly realistic Vampire film. God forbid. I love the vampires in this. Though they're not quite as sexy and well-dressed as they are in Underworld or as demonic as they are in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, they bring a totally new brutality to the vampire class. They wear what you'd expect late 30-ish people living in 2007 to wear, they're stronger than the average human, but not impossibly so, they hunt in packs and give off bloodcurdling, atavistic shrieks (of which I give quite a good impression; sidenote) they're unrelenting an animalistic but just as intelligent as a regular person, they're quick, dark and deadly.

There's no camp to be found here, not always a good thing, but in 30 Days of Night, it is. I honestly cannot recommend this one enough, despite its intense gore and general panning, I implore you to at the very least give it a go, and decide for yourself.

Both the human survivors and the vampire invaders are there simply trying to stay alive, the vamps through their sadistic, systematic hunting of the local populace for their food-source, blood, and the people by trying to both hide, and fight back, but mostly the former. Ironically, it's the "humanity" of the humans that causes every one of their downfalls, while they're leached from above by a far superior race, who goes so far as to call humans a "plague" and invent a new language all for themselves, just so as to not have to speak the same filthy way we lower-beings do (and I mean, if your choice was between that and having to put up with American-English, wouldn't you?).

86%

-Gimly
November 3, 2013
Predictible and a bit shaky film in showing its story but on the other hand, still offers flips and screams...
J.W
August 1, 2011
A town in Alaska is shrouded in darkness of 30 days, and in that darkness hides a terrifying evil. Finally, a vampire horror movie that mixes in a cold atmosphere amongst a bath of blood and gore, whilst keeping the story strong and the characters interesting as they fight for survival in the cold. 30 Days of Night has everything a horror should: The setting is amazing, it looks deserted adding to the creepy atmosphere, there are so many scares and you feel for the characters, you want them to survive as they attempt to hide and outrun the Vamps. In all honesty I don't find vampire or zombie films scary, ghosts and demon do scare me but this time I found the vampires very scary, from the gaze of their black eyes and the ice cold pale face, even the sinister language that communicate in creeped me out completely. Fighting against the Vampires is an extremely talented cast with two leads who are electrifying to watch, especially Melissa George who is excellent. Josh Hartnett also gives his best performance since black Hawk Down and Danny Huston is just brilliant, he looks terrifying and super convincing. The whole movie is just so suspensful and unpredictable, and the ending is sad, overall it's a truly frightening experience and a great return for vampire movies.
October 23, 2013
Some cool deaths, but it felt like much longer than 30 days to get through it. Scripting was bad, ending was overly-romantic, but they kept the vampires fairly spooky.
NoonGoonda
October 26, 2013
Dark aura and endured hopelessness abound, 30 Days of Night pleases the cognitive genre observer. Take from it, at the least, a cry to the amassed helpless throughout this world who wail to higher powers with no reply. "No God" ~Marlow, Danny Huston