30 Minutes or Less Reviews

Nikhil N.
½ February 26, 2012
This movie is so simple and so stupidly funny, that it is entertaining. I enjoyed every second of it. Despite its very clear flaws the movie's strongest points are also its weakest. The movie is choppy, crude, stupid, random, and I loved it.
July 23, 2013
The film has it's funny spots, but really does falter under the crude attempt to make it funnier than anticipated. 30 Minutes or Less provided loose chemistry among its duo of protagonists and antagonists regardless of the starpower. 3/5
March 11, 2011
"30 Minutes or Less" is a mixed bag to be sure, but it's also short and pretty sweet. The film's nimble running time definitely works in it's favor. There's some awkward dialogue here, and a flat scene there... but you also get a great comedic bank heist scene, a great extended cameo from Michael Pena, and Danny McBride's impeccable delivery (and all in under 80 minutes. Eisenberg and Ansari are pretty good too). As far as a good rental goes, you can't go wrong with this one.
FiLmCrAzY
July 2, 2011
A charming, amusing story, but the movie gives up on itself towards the end.
½ October 10, 2012
Being fascinated by the Brian Wells story & explored it to the best of my abilities & accessible details, I was keen on checking this one out. Although I admit to having discovered it relatively late, I got to it ASAP. And I also admit that the movie wasn't half as interesting as the real story (from which it is crystal clearly inspired) was. Besides the screenplay, none of the performances were outstanding. Neither its comedy is noteworthy nor its thrills (less than handful) tense enough. All the same, it wasn't a total disaster either. It isn't the best bargain, and I'd surely have appreciated a dramatic thriller format sticking to facts AFAP, it's a watchable fare as it is.
November 27, 2011
Aziz Ansari cannot act. Nick Swardson can barely act. Danny McBride plays the same character he always does. And Jesse Eisenberg... well... he plays a similar character to his previous as well - Zombieland and Adventureland, particularly - but at least he's watchable. My major problem with this film was that there wasn't enough here to make a feature - even one that clocks in at a paltry 83 minutes. Most of the film was made up of the bad guys explaining their plan to each other, which works when they're the heroes of a movie - like in a heist flick - but not when we're supposed to be cheering for the good guys. I thought the idea, once they finally got to it, was a novel one, and the plot had some good twists, but the writing and the acting were absolutely painful.
June 18, 2012
A terrible, terrible film that wastes a talented class on a half-cooked idea that ultimately goes nowhere, concerning a poor pizza boy (Jesse Eisenberg) who is kidnapped and forced to rob a bank by the end of the day or else a bomb strapped on his chest will explode. This is an extremely disappointing sophomore effort from Ruben Fleischer, who showed a nihilistic edge and snarky sense of humor in his first feature "Zombieland". Here, you can tell he totally winged this thing, due to an insanely short running time, and no direction whatsoever to have his characters come across as believable or likeable in any way, shape, or form. The acting, aside from Eisenberg, is incredibly awful, with everyone rushing to say their lines or doing bad improv that does not come across as funny as everyone involved in the film thinks it is. It could have been pretty funny if anyone showed in a care in the world to the makeup of the movie, sadly that is not the case here.
May 16, 2011
Had some funny moments, but just average overall as far as comedies go.
½ December 7, 2011
This is exactly the kind of comedy that I enjoy. Let's just get one thing straight. You can stick Danny McBride in any movie, have him act like an arrogant jerk, and immediately create entertainment value. McBride is a genius, and really, there wasn't a character in the entire film that wasn't enjoyable. 30 Minutes or Less is crude, politically incorrect, creative, and I laughed througout the whole movie. What else do you need?
½ September 24, 2011
Good idea but not realised. Also most of the cast where very annoying.
cosmo313
May 10, 2011
Man, what a tremendous disappointment. I had high hopes for it given the cast, concept, and director. I really don't know what went wrong. Sophmore slump, perhaps? Or maybe just decent idea with unfortunate execution. Either way, what could have been a wildly entertaining farce is instead an unfunny mess that lacks cohesion.

Where to begin: well, let's just run down the synopsis: a goofy, slacker criminal wannabe and his equally underachieving friend decide to have the first guy's dad killed so they can reap the benefits of his inheritance. To make this happen, they hire a hit man. To pay the hit man, they decide to kidnap a pizza delivery boy, strap a bomb vest to him, and force him to rob a bank. If he doesn't do so in 9 hours, he's toast.

It's an intriguing set up, but the way it's done sucks. It's not funny (only maybe a couple of jokes work for me, and the trailer was way too spoiler heavy (both on the gags and other things)), it's annoying, obnoxious, ridiculous, and almost all of the characters are unlikeable and poorly developed. The only two characters that actually are half way decent or all that interesting are the two female characters, but they are misused and shortchanged. Go figure.

I like the cast, but they don't do anything new or exciting here. Well, okay, I don't like Nick Swardson, and he failed to win me over here. Danny McBride is a great guy, but his typical schtick (on full display here), grew tiresome long ago. Time to change it up man. Eisenberg's whininess would make him more empathetic if he were better developed, and Ansari is way too over the top and abrasive.

The film at least moves along at a brisk pace and doesn't waste too much time slacking around, but it is only 82 minutes, so it can't afford not to. However, I think the time should have been better spent, and also the film needed to be a tad longer, ya know, for better plot and character development. The damn thing isn't even really tongue in cheek or tries ot go for satire, two hugely missed opportunities.

Since I didn't give it a failing grade, that must mean there are some things I liked. This is true. The opening credits scene is well done, and I loved the fancy, high precision and speedy driving as Eisenberg's pizza boy Nick flies across town (while smoking a joint) trying to make adelivery on time. Fun stuff. Too bad the rest of the film didn't follow suit. I did like the concept, it had some clever ideas, and when the film starts to deal with the craziness of the varioussituations, and miscommunication between the various parties started to the raise the stakes, the film won back some points it lost. However, it was all in vain sicne I didn't really care as much as I should have.

This film is a mess. I'm not sad I saw it (not totally since it didn't waste too much of my time), but it just pains me to see such a promising idea and cast and crew I like (well, some of them), come together only to crash and burn.
½ January 16, 2012
Not very funny or smart, 30 min or less is a prime example of mediocre, soulless comedy. It's unfortunate to see Eisenberg work on something so poorly conceived but I guess with McBride in the mix you know you're in for a terrible ride of lowbrow.

The movie cruises along a fine line of slapstick chuckle-gags and petty insults that could have been watchable if the characters had an ounce of emotional substance for us to care about. The core of the film needed better grounding whether it be exploring their frienships, romances, or daddy-issues. Just SOMETHING.

Slightly amusing, but overall? A waste of time.
bbcfloridabound
January 6, 2012
Not the movie I expected from watching the trailer Aziz Ansari is who makes this movie funny. A pizza delivery guy is captured by two want to be thugs, they strap a bomb to him and force him to rob a bank, more of a teen movie. Not a family film that's for sure, 3 Stars
3niR
½ August 10, 2011
The fun seemed to me like it was forced. Watchable.
January 3, 2012
Totally ridiculous farce of a comedy that is more of a guilty pleasure than anything :) Its pretty stupid but admittedly quite amusing in many places, not hilarious but definitely makes you smile.

The duo of Eisenberg and Ansari as the bumbling blackmailed robbers is actually a surprisingly fun pairing that work really well together, the bank robbery is a funny scene and their constant bickering will raise your spirits rest assured. The other winner here is the second duo of McBride and Swardson as the bumbling losers trying to blackmail the other bumbling losers hehe again their dialog is witty and amusing as they talk nonsense getting nowhere fast.

Holds together quite well throughout but apart from a few various sequences its nothing that special, the casting is well thought of for sure but the rest is a bit daft, think along the lines of the film 'Nothing To Lose'.
axadntpron
½ January 2, 2012
Funny people involved, but feels awkwardly forced and a little too free flowing. I love improv, but when an entire film seems like it was conceived and shot in one day, the viewer feels cheated.
½ August 13, 2011
A decent movie with a fair amount of laughs. It starts out very slow and the bad acting by everyone besides Eisenberg is hard to get past, but at the end you don't regret sitting through it. It could have been a lot funnier though.
½ May 23, 2011
"And your first thought was to come to a school filled with young children?"

30 Minutes or Less is an oddball action/comedy mishmash that reminds me of Pineapple Express more than anything else (though it's not quite as good or funny). Jesse Eisenberg and Aziz Ansari star as a pair of friends who are coerced into robbing a bank, thanks to a bomb and a couple of would-be "criminal masterminds" (Danny McBride ad Nick Swardson) in need of $100,000.

The humor comes very rapidly, and each joke, hit or miss, doesn't linger long before the next one comes along. Your own particular sense of humor will largely decide how much you enjoy 30 Minutes or Less, as most of the entertainment comes from the silly, rapid-fire banter between the two protagonist characters and also that between their two bomb-making nemeses.

I liked 30 Minutes or Less. It's not perfect, but it kept me laughing. If you're a fan of the usual brand of crude, dark humor that is sort of expected from a movie that Danny McBride plays a big part in, then this'll probably be something you enjoy. And if it turns out to not be your cup of tea, hey, at least it's short.
LWOODS04
January 12, 2011
Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Danny McBride, Aziz Ansari, Nick Swardson, Dilshad Vadsaria, Michael Peņa, Bianca Kajlich, Fred Ward, Elizabeth Wright Shapiro

Director: Ruben Fleischer

Summary: Two small-town criminals (Danny McBride and Nick Swardson) planning a big-time bank heist wind up abducting pizza delivery driver Nick (Jesse Eisenberg) and forcing him to commit the robbery -- giving him a strict time limit to boot. To pull off the caper, Nick enlists the aid of a former buddy (Aziz Ansari). With the law, the crooks and the clock all breathing down their necks, the duo also try to patch up their troubled friendship in this frenetic action comedy.

My Thoughts: "A likeable film, but not one I loved. There just wasn't as many laughs in this movie as I was expecting there to be. Just another raunchy comedy that failed to make the raunchiness funny. I liked the chase scene and some other parts. Not all failed. I thought Aziz Ansari was very funny in his role. Seems like Danny McBride just had these lines in other film. He seems to keep playing the same roles. It's getting boring. In the end it was just an OK comedy."