42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Average Rating: 4.2/5
User Ratings: 1,116

My Rating

Movie Info

In 1963, director Michael Apted and then-partner Paul Almond chronicled the lives of 14 seven-year-olds for British television; they returned to the same group at intervals of seven years for updates, of which this is the fifth. It's possible to watch this film without having seen the other chapters (28 Up and 42 Up are the only other installments in circulation), because Apted offers thumbnail flashbacks with each interview. Several of the original subjects declined to be filmed for 35 Up (the

Oct 19, 2004

Watch It Now

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

All Critics (17) | Top Critics (5) | Fresh (16) | Rotten (1) | DVD (4)

There's certainly plenty of food for thought here, but most of it is served raw rather than cooked -- most of the significance of the development of faces, physiques, aspirations, and attitudes over three decades is left to the subjects themselves.

August 14, 2012 Full Review Source: Chicago Reader
Chicago Reader
Top Critic IconTop Critic

[35 Up] finds this series growing increasingly rueful with age.

May 20, 2003 Full Review Source: New York Times
New York Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

The latest installment in the most engrossing long-distance documentary project in the history of film.

January 1, 2000 Full Review Source: Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

It's a brilliant, vital human document.

January 1, 2000 Full Review Source: Washington Post
Washington Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

The film's realism is as ruthless as it is low-key. It's impossible not to look at the 35-year-old woman and mourn the loss of the 7-year-old girl.

January 1, 2000 Full Review Source: Washington Post
Washington Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

35 Up is a God-like glimpse of the uninterrupted trajectory of lives that is vastly disturbing, cooly scientific and intensely emotional.

August 14, 2012 Full Review Source: TV Guide's Movie Guide
TV Guide's Movie Guide

Part of Apted's seminal series that began with 7Up, this segment has different dynamics, emphasizing the children of the subjects and the deaths of their parents, showing stronmg evidence of the life cycle.

August 8, 2006 Full Review Source: EmanuelLevy.Com
EmanuelLevy.Com

Another engrossing entry in a groundbreaking series.

April 28, 2006
Capital Times (Madison, WI)

The remaining participants grapple with disillusionment, their reconcilement of the past, and their relationship to their own children.

October 26, 2004 Full Review Source: Slant Magazine
Slant Magazine

35 Up is about life, real life from childhood through adulthood.

January 1, 2000 Full Review Source: Deseret News, Salt Lake City
Deseret News, Salt Lake City

Most people will feel the start of tears at unpredictable points in this movie. They come from compassion and sympathy in the truest sense of those words -- we identify with these people living their lives as best as they can.

January 1, 2000 Full Review Source: Austin Chronicle
Austin Chronicle

Exceedingly long and repetitive.

January 1, 2000 Full Review Source: Filmcritic.com
Filmcritic.com

Audience Reviews for 35 Up

We see one of the "kids" come back that had chosen not to participate in the last installment and two more drop out without a word. So we have lost three total at this point.
It's a weird thing to see these films one right after the other as the idea that so much time has passed for these people is hard to wrap my mind around. It's easy to be lost in the thought that these are not real people but characters in a movie. They are just really good at casting young people that look like the older people.
The fact that we get to see the span of these lives is something rare in cinema and I don't think people should miss out on this. Ask yourself some of the questions they get asked and see if you are not any different from some of them.
Another thing we get a look at are the marriages. In the last installment we saw most of them married and some even having kids. In this one we get to see if the marriages survived. Some did... some didn't.
The year is 1990 and we are soon going to be in a very modern setting and I still am wondering where the folks will be as the tech and society takes the big leap that is coming soon.
May 13, 2009
superclerk25

Perhaps I should review Apted's series in its totality but each of these films has their uniqueness and charms. This one is no exception although some of the children who were originally filmed in 1963 declined to be in this and subsequent series. Lives are falling a bit apart for our subjects. All the more reason to get updated in 42 Up.
January 29, 2013
John Ballantine

This series is great. Well worth watching from the start, but maybe with a few month's worth of rest between each film (unlike what I did) otherwise the flashbacks get a bit much. By 35 up I was starting to feel like it was all flashback and no current footage.
May 22, 2012
randallangela1

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss 35 Up on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT