20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

36th Chamber of Shaolin (Shao Lin san shi liu fang) Reviews

April 4, 2014
It's a good flick, but the fight scenes might be a tad too choreographed.
February 26, 2014
Arguably the greatest martial arts film of all time. Gordon Liu is the balls. He makes Rocky's work outs in the meat factory and training on streets of Philadelphia look like Pilates.
February 4, 2014
Great martial arts film!!!
January 31, 2014
As of this writing, it is Chinese New Year. That and the fact that Run Run Shaw recently passed away made me think it's about time I check out another kung fu movie. This is said to be one of the best. And it is. A young man from a village escapes the tyrannical rule of a general and trains in kung fu in a Shaolin temple. Very basic plot. But it's so much fun to watch. I once looked down on this genre due to the badly dubbed versions that once ruled the airwaves of afternoon TV of my childhood but now with subtitles, I'm seeing it in a whole new light and I have been catching up on the classics of this genre. Highly recommended for both fans and novices alike.
November 3, 2013
What can I say about this movie that hasn't been said before? A classic. Yes. Influential? Absolutely. Entertaining? Most definitely. This movie is as good a place to start as any if you're interested in the Kung Fu cinema. And if you're already into Kung Fu, you've probably heard of this in the least, and I can't imagine why you haven't seen it. in my opinion this has to be the greatest kung Fu movie of all time beating Enter the dragon.
WARP
May 18, 2010
Greatest martial arts film i have ever seen.
May 25, 2013
One of the best Kung Fu movies ever!
May 28, 2012
Fast-moving martial arts classic.
February 16, 2013
I feel like a member of The Wu-Tang Clan while watching this film and that is a very gratifying experience. All the really cool Wu-Tang related stuff the more recent editions come with is a great plus.
January 30, 2013
the one with the 36 chambers.
December 7, 2012
I love stories where people are being trained in how to do something. It's that story elevates 36 chambers above other Martial Arts Movies
Tero Heinonen
October 14, 2008
Definitely one of the best kung fu films I've seen. I had first seen this movie on the Finnish television Channel "YLE Teema", but it impressed me so, that I ordered my own remastered special-edition copy on dvd.
The name of the original film is "36th chamber of Shaolin". The title of the western dvd release "Master killer" is very misleading. First of all, the movie is not very violent. Second, the main character, a buddhist monk, is not training to purposefully kill anyone but to defend and to help defend his people against the invaders and to better himself as a human being.
This film has no tricks or treats of traditional Chinese Wuxia -such as flying through the air and over rooftops, for instance. Rather, this is a kung fu film with (rather) normal, although acrobatic, fighting and movements. The choreography is skilfully done, but the tomato sauce looks unlike blood and occasionally a bit silly - it could have been left out and no harm would have been done to the overall film in my view.
The movie includes some elements of comedy and humor. After the slow start of the film, it gets better when the main character goes to the Shaolin Temple to learn kung fu.People who are familiar with both modern day recreations of Kung Fu (The Matrix, One, Crouching tiger hidden dragon and countless martial-arts movies) and also those filmed in the 70's or 80's concerning old legends of the inexplicable abilities the masters of martial arts were said to have possessed, will enjoy certain aspects of this film. I recommend the film to any fan of martial arts movies.
So, I rewatched this film again, and came to the conclusion that the only weakness of this movie lies in its slow start and repetitiveness at the Temple - it keeps the story a bit too simple, and the ending comes a bit abruptly concerning how long the viewer is held in anticipation of the training main character's actions - such as how he is going to handle the invaders and so on. That is only a small problem, however, since the film is a definite classic in its own right.
October 7, 2012
Un film cinese del 1978 mi creava un po' di paura invece questo film si conferma un classico dei film sul kung fu. Per chi pensa che si parli solo di gente che si picchia sbaglia, anche la storia e' interessante e ha un suo scopo d'essere.
Luc L.
September 6, 2012
Interesting to see the progress of character through various kung fu skills as he seeks revenge to a leader who killed his father.
September 2, 2012
Latest movie I watched off of Ric Meyers' 50 top Kung Fu classics. Very entertaining. Some great fight scenes.
June 3, 2012
36th Chamber or Shaolin is the way martial arts movies are meant to be made. No cheap hang wires or stunt doubles, just pure skill in the arts. Chia Hui Liu is phenomenal as both an actor and kung fu expert. The moves and tasks he performs in the film are all just examples of pure skill in martial arts. 36th Chamber of Shaolin is both a great story and a perfect example of a true master of Kung Fu.
August 8, 2012
An essential martial arts movie--Entertaining, Great Choreorgraphy, Fun!!
July 16, 2012
Early martial arts classic has a great story, some awesome fight and training scenes and a fascinating inside look at practices of Shaolin kung fu training. It doesn't have any real cross over potential, meaning if you're not particularly into kung fu films, this won't change your mind. Also the acting isn't great and it looks quite cheaply made. But it's well directed and informed.
July 12, 2012
The fighting scenes are great and the training sequences inspire me to work harder and develop my martial arts skills. People who are not martial artists will probably find this movie too violent and otherwise boring, but that doesn't matter since its target audience is most likely martial artists