3 Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

3 Women Reviews

February 20, 2014
I thought this would be a humdrum, 'slice of life' movie, but it's really quite unusual.
May 6, 2014
i really don't like this movie. i find it off-putting and not in a particularly provocative way. altman says it was a dream he had, and he just kinda winged it. admirable and apparently successful, just not something i got anything out of.
½ April 20, 2014
It gets extra points for originality. Duvall & Spacek are superb as the two leads. The film captures awkward isolation perfectly. Especially from Duvall who is painful to watch in the best way possible. Her choices are quirky and painfully honest. No wonder she won Best Actress at Cannes. Altman may be referencing Persona a little throughout. I love how the film has more to do with emotion and feeling, rather than story. Much is left open to interpretation but thanks to a haunting and brilliant score (typical of the 70's), there's a mood that unsettles and makes us feel the characters alienation and discomfort. One could even interpret this film as if all three women are in fact the same person (like Lynch's Mulholland Drive). The re-occurring images of mirrors and water reflections possibly illustrate this. There's also plenty of clues. No one hardly notices them. Do they both actually even work at her job? Spacek uses Duvall's work card, shares her SIN number, takes her man, her car, clothes and even job. The third woman is the most mysterious (and featured the least) but perhaps all three of them represent a different side to the same personality.
½ April 6, 2014
3 Women (1977) - 9

Willie, Millie, Pinky.
Willie is asocial and bitter, a mysterious woman who runs a bar where Millie and Pinky hang out with cops. She spends most of her time alienated in her intriguing and unsettling mural paintings which seem to fascinate Pinky. Willie is pregnant. Millie is a fulfilled young woman working at an health spa for the elderly and living in a small apartment rented to Willie. She is extremely confident of her attractiveness towards men and is strangely outgoing and communicative despite the fact that others severely neglect her. Pinky resembles a teenager, she displays almost childlike naivety and impulsiveness. Admitted as a new worker in the spa, she develops a very strong affection for Millie as the older employee guides Pinky through her new job. Pinky willingly becomes Millie's roommate.

The roles and relationships between these three women will undergo a metamorphosis as the events unravel and a final hierarchy will be reached. Reality will change as well, a certain degree of abnormality is visible in human relations. Hilarious, heartbreaking and disturbing social dichotomies coexist with all naturality, things that hardly fit within the frame of a real and concrete world. The absurdist aura omnipresent since the beginning intensifies until the movie truly assumes it's dreamylike nature that leaves us perplexed in the end. The thing is, the relationship between the three women is the reality of the film. The bleak landscape of a small desert city somewhere in California can either morph into a poetically beautiful window or into a crude stage of a surreal psychological Thriller/Drama of great emotional power. Top-notch (in large part improvised!) interpretations from Shelley Duvall (the director's muse) and Sissy Spacek, as good as the brilliant camera, photography and sound work. This fascinating and mysterious movie was literally born from a Robert Altman dream and it shows the talent of this great master of cinema. A beautiful cult film, I think it deserves more attention. I loved it and highly recommend it!
March 31, 2014
I expected just another good Altman, with crossing stories, neurotic pondering and americana gothic punches. The 3rd element is there, but this is so much more.... Its way out there, almost scary.Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek both deserves high praise for their work here; they have made together something pretty unique (yes there are strong undercurrents of ''persona'' but its its own thing). I never thought id say such a thing but it seems big parts of David Lynch sprought right out of this creative universe by Altman. And this is a very solid 5.
March 29, 2014
I get the sense this is what Lynch wanted to do with Mulholland Drive... 3 Women sure is atmospheric at best, and tough to keep your eyes open at worst. A couple of key scenes, the birthing one in particular, keep this movie worthwhile... otherwise it's kind of a mess of nothingness.
March 6, 2014
For a film that feels so immediate, so detailed and straight, it unfolds like a shadowy and oblique dream in a familiar environment.
March 1, 2014
One of the strangest and most unlike Altman movie out there. (besides 1980's popeye) It bears this uneasy dreamlike quality that never settles you. Great acting by shelly Duval and Sissy Spaceck in this Bergman-like Arthouse piece
½ February 11, 2014
It's like Persona meets One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest through a female viewpoint. Intensely dreamlike and eerie to the point of it almost being an off kilter horror film. Definitely one of the more unique and openly interpretable movies I've ever seen.
½ January 19, 2008
2nd time watching this, still can't claim to understand the ending, but wow, such a good movie. Really enjoyed the relationship between these two women. The third in the end is too seldom in the movie to have any real impact.
I also lean towards the theory that Millie and Pinkie are the same person, but hard to say.
366weirdmovies
½ February 3, 2014
Wide-eyed Pinky (Sissy Spacek) latches onto delusional Millie (Shelly Duval) until an accident causes a radical personality shift. Fascinating, subtly unnerving psychological mystery that provides a bridge between PERSONA (1966) and LOST HIGHWAY (1997).
½ September 27, 2011
Robert Altman created 3 Women with no screenplay based on a dream he had. The film itself closely resembles various dreams and is filled with surreal and dreamlike qualities. The story of the three women and various men throughout are observed on a daily basis within their jobs and personal life, which is all flipped as the film progresses and an "accident" occurs. The film is surreal and even creepy in it's visuals and very loose in it's narrative structure as a screenplay wasn't fully worked out when it was shot. While the film starts off strong and very compelling the latter half falls into a state of redunacy.
½ January 7, 2014
This was Ebert's best movie for 1977. As the phrase goes, I want what he was smoking. Really good acting though.
November 19, 2013
This film did not engage me initially. The introduction of some "eerie" music at odd times seemed almost too much. I think I would have preferred that it be left out altogether. Surprising turn of events. Did not like it as much as Short Cuts but found it interesting and thought-provoking.
November 17, 2013
The first half of this movie is a rather strait-forward story but it takes a sudden turn into bizarre and and never looks back. Different viewers will interpret it differently, but one thing for sure, it leaves you trying to make sense of its meaning.
½ November 12, 2013
Fucking trippy. Amazing though, the pacing is perfect.
½ October 20, 2013
Had to give it 1/2 a star in order to give it a review... THIS SUCKED! TOTALLY WHACK!!
July 19, 2012
An elliptical, strange, and surreal descent into a distinctly American nightmare of shifting personalities and psychological damage. After multiple viewings, I still don't know exactly what it's about, nor can I explain how or why things happen. But that's the point. It defies synopsis. Here the images, symbolism, and characterizations are more important than actual narrative.