Ebert & Roeper Share Their Favorites from '05

Summary

TV's biggest and most (relatively) beloved movie critics, Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper, have announced their top ten lists for 2005, and you can either listen to the banter on their official site, or you can hang out here and just read 'em. Our way is quicker. Back to Article

Comments

Rorsky

Rory Jobst

[b]Amen![/b]
Admittedly I don't agree with most of your picks, but i TOTALLY agree with your view of ME YOU AND EVERYONE we know. I didnt hate it as much as you, but I thought it was very forced and self concious. Trying too hard to be poetic. Poetry on film should just happen like nature. They even got a weirdo actor who looks just like Vincent Gallo, and these are the kind of movies he makes.

I wouldn't call HITCH overrated, because, while a success financially, it didn't exactly get universal praise. I really liked 40 Year Old Virgin, but I would almost call it overrated. I mean, yeah it was funny, but why on so many top ten lists? It would REALLY have had to make me bust a gut to single it out at the end of the year. It was sweet and sincere, but lacked the deconstructive substance that something like Sideways had.

Mysterious Skin missed my list, but I really dug it. Interesting use of alien abductions as an allegory for sexual abuse. Never seen it that way before.

Jan 5 - 07:42 AM

Mike

First Last

I originally gave [b]ME & YOU[/b] a [b]5/10 (C-)[/b], but I grew to hate it more the more I thought about it and the more people loved it. Every time it was nominated for some award I just thought, "Ugh, what are they thinking?" I love smaller films but this one was such a wannabe and wasn't genuine at all. It was lame! I really can't see how so many people could love it. I thought it looked surprisingly really good from the trailer but it ended up being a pointless and somewhat dull waste of time. I was really glad it was under an hour and a half long. It tries way too hard to be art and to mean something that it's incredibly obvious and eye-roll inducing. I actually liked Miranda July in the movie, but it's a real turn-off to know she wrote and directed this wannabe film. It felt so phony, pretentious, and self-indulgent.

Anyway, there are different ways a movie can be overrated or underrated. It can be overrated by just one or all of these: making a crapload of money, by critics loving it, or by audiences loving it. [b]Hitch[/b] made a crapload of money, had good reviews from critics, and audiences loved it, causing it to have great legs and WOM. Now a movie can be underrated by being the opposite of any one of those things or by being the opposite of more than one of those things.

A lot of the ones I loved I didn't expect to be so good. I saw [b]The 40-Year-Old Virgin[/b] on DVD and was surprised by it. I thought it was hilarious and cute, and the lead was really likable, plus I love Keener and have become fond of Elizabeth Banks recently as well. I found it better than a lot of R-Rated comedies, such as [b]American Pie[/b]. [b]Sky High[/b] I thought looked lame, but saw it on DVD anyway and was shocked, it was so fun! It won't make my best of the year list when all is said and done, which is why I can't make a top 10 yet because a lot of the honorable mentions I wouldn't want in my top 10 and am holding out until I see a lot of the ones I've missed so far (like [b]Match Point[/b], [b]Junebug[/b], [b]Thumbsucker[/b], [b]Proof[/b], [b]The Weather Man[/b], [b]A History of Violence[/b], and more... The only ones of these that I think could make my top 10 are [b]Match Point[/b] and [b]A History of Violence[/b]), but I still thought it was a great family movie. I thought [b]Crash[/b] was really good and I liked it even more when I saw it on DVD (which was my second time seeing it, the first was in theaters), but with everyone loving it I can't help but notice its flaws more, like for one it's too preachy and manipulative and also it relies too much on coincidence. It ends up feeling a little forced instead of coming off completely natural. But I still thought it was great, despite those flaws, and it is an important movie, it's just that it has become a bit overrated. Though I'd rather see a smaller film like this from a less mainstream studio succeed and be loved than a huge Hollywood blockbuster. I did love [b]Million Dollar Baby[/b] though and it was my #2 of 2004, after [b]Mean Creek[/b]. I was rooting for it to win Best Picture all the way and had it not I would have been sooooo p*ssed. I never saw [b]The Aviator[/b] because it looked really stupid to me and I would have been really mad if it won Best Picture over [b]Million Dollar Baby[/b]. [b]Swimming Upstream[/b] surprised me as well, as I usually dislike inspirational sports movies and tend not to see a lot of them (I didn't see [b]Remember The Titans[/b] until about a year ago, thought [b]Miracle[/b] and [b]The Rookie[/b] were lame, and I don't plan on seeing [b]Coach Carter[/b]), but I ended up loving this one. It's easily one of the best inspirational sports movies I've seen and it's an under-seen gem.

I'm a horror fan and tend to love the smaller, less-mainstream ones, which is the case with [b]High Tension[/b]. Mainstream audiences hate it, but I loved it. Though it's not hard to see people not knowing what to expect hating it. It's a foreign film and if they saw it in theaters they had to watch a mix of dubbing and subtitles (and the dubbing sucked) and if they watch it on DVD and don't go to set-up first and select the right version and instead just push play they will be watching the same version, and the horrible dubbing is so distracting and ruins the mood. Anyway, I loved the movie and the cinematography was superb. In 2004 one of my favorite horror flicks of the year (though this one was more psychological horror) was [b]Open Water[/b], which everyone other than professional critics and some art house audiences hated, yet I loved it. In 2003 it was [b]May[/b], which has become a cult classic, though had it gotten a wider theatrical release and more exposure it would have been widely trashed because the more mainstream audiences that see a non-mainstream movie the more negative WOM there will be.

Anyway, I saw [b]BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN[/b] this weekend and it has really stayed with me. At first I thought I was a little disapp

Jan 9 - 09:33 AM

Rorsky

Rory Jobst

MDB was last year. I liked Dear Frankie. Underseen gem that just made me feel good for 90 minutes. Emily Mortimer's my girlfriend. LOL! Have you seen Young Adam?

Jan 5 - 07:45 AM

chazbow

Chuck O'Leary

[b]Million Dollar Baby[/b]
Yes, I fully realize that "Million Dollar Baby" is officially a 2004 release, but I wasn't able to see it until last January 13 at a critics screening in Pittsburgh. Therefore, I saw it too late to make my '04 list, and if I excluded it from my '05 list it would have fallen through the cracks and never made one of my best-10 lists. This happens quite often in smaller markets where all the year-end awards contenders don't get screened before Jan. 1. As a result, I always make my best-10 list according to what opened in Pittsburgh during the calendar year.

Yes, I saw and liked "Young Adam."

Jan 5 - 07:21 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

[b]Topish / Bottomish[/b]
In no particular order, the topish of the year for me:

Potter (thank Budda they got rid of that Alfonso Cuaron -- I know yall love him, but come on -- that, and this one was actually written without any exceedingly lame plot devices)
Kong (love the epics)
Kiss Kiss (some seriously funny shit)
ROTS (acting still sucks -- the proof that Natalie Portman is worth her weight in copper -- hint: she weighs no more than 5 stone soaking wet -- but at least the damn things over and it did it with some fun).
Serenity (funny)
History of Violence (if anything proves that the Oscars are a sham it's the fact that Ed Harris has never lifted the Golden Telly Sevalis at the podium).

Still waiting (i.e., being forced :) to see: Brokeback Mountain, Munich, New World (please, please, don't be like that Thin Red Line movie) and any other possible oscar contenders (thanks to my loving wife).

Bottomish:

Crash (Contrived)
Crash (Manipulatively maudlin)
Crash (Treacle)
Crash (I hate this movie)
Million Dollar Baby (from last year, I know, but Paul Haggis is a hack).

Oh, and.....

Crash (I wouldn't hate this movie so much if people didn't think it was so moving, informative, pertinent, enlightening, telling, touching.... MDB, on the other hand, is the worst movie of the past decade... worse than any Uwe Boll movie. Nobody likes a poser -- okay, I'm done ranting).

Jan 5 - 08:39 AM

chazbow

Chuck O'Leary

[b]Million Dollar Baby[/b]

Yes, I saw and liked "Young Adam."

Jan 5 - 07:21 PM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

... this list is a joke... right?

... right?

Jan 5 - 10:41 PM

Friends_best_show_ever

Jeff Krebs

No, I'm not kidding. Whats so bad on my list? As it says I still have a lot of films to see. I do, however, think this is a good list.

*****HONORABLE MENTION*****

6.The Perfect Man
5.Cheaper by the Dozen 2
4.Rumor Has It...
3.The Dukes of Hazzard
2.Mr. and Mrs. Smith
1. Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban

I have still to see :Narnia,King Kong,Brokeback Mountain, The New World,Munich,Jarhead, Walk the Line, The Ringer, Get Rich or Die Tryin, In The Mix, Your's Mine and Our's,Cry_Wolf, Cinderella Man,Madagascar, Roll Bounce,Into The Blue, Undiscovered, The Cave, Casanova, Wedding Crashers, Prime,Underclassman,Flightplan,Corpse Bride, Just Like Heaven,Waiting, Zathura,Chicken Little,Fantastic Four,Derailed,The Skeleton Key,Pride and Prejudice,The Fog, Rent & Match Point

Jan 6 - 02:49 PM

3.The Dukes of Hazzard
2.Mr. and Mrs. Smith
1. Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban

Jan 6 - 02:49 PM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

You really need to see some good movies FAST. Your top 10 list has one good movie on it. How could you miss so many good films and instead see all that trash? No offense but use reviews to gide what you see a little bit more or else you'll never see any good films. Just advice.

Jan 7 - 07:58 PM

cowsfan

Kevin Levan

[b]The best and the worst (IMHO)[/b]
No particular order

Oldboy
Kung Fu Hustle
The New World
Sin City
Wallace & Gromit
Jarhead
Lord of War
The 40-Year Old Virgin (Laughed till I Cried)
The Devil's Rejects
A History Of Violence (My favorite of 2005)

Overrated:
Batman Begins
Crash
War Of The Worlds
Syrianna
Match Point

Worst:
The Longest Yard
The Island
Stealth
Hostage (they always manage to ruin great books)

Still have to see King Kong, Munich, Brokeback Mountain, Goodnight & Good Luck, Harry Potter

Finally, thank you Mr. George Lucas for ending the Star Wars saga with the one the fans truly have been waiting for. You did right!!

Jan 6 - 01:14 AM

6.Unleashed
5.Dot the I
4.Batman Begins
3.Walk the Line
2.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
1.Crash
I still have a good 15 movies I want to see, so hopefully my list will change a lot before it's over. I'm going to go see Munich tonight.

Jan 6 - 01:19 PM

10. 40-Year Old Virgin
9. Last Days
8. Batman Begins
7. Howl's Moving Castle
6. Serenity
5. War of the Worlds
4. the Aviator (i don't care that it came out christmas 2004)
3. Syrianna
2. King Kong
1. Good Night and Good Luck

Movies that I saw this year for the first time that aren't from this year, but are still good nonetheless:

Deer Hunter
Kramer vs Kramer
the Graduate
the Labyrinth
Taxi Driver
Bringing Out the Dead
Marathon Man
Say Anything

Movies I've yet to see, but oh yes, I will: Broken Flowers, Munich, Brokeback Mountain, Memoirs of a Geisha, Shopgirl, Proof, Capote. I'm sure there are others I'm missing. If so, message me with their names.

Jan 6 - 10:23 PM

slavesandbulldozers

chris eoff

I haven't seen a good amount of movies, such as brokeback mountain, walk the line, syriana, good nigh and good luck, capote, but here are my favorites of what I have seen:

1. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
2. King Kong
3. Batman Begins
4. Cinderella Man
5. Sin City
6. Crash
7. Unleashed
8. Chronicles of Narnia
9. Ong Bak (not a great film, but it certainly entertained the hell out of me)
10. Kingdom Of Heaven (Ridley rules, Orlando sucks)

Jan 7 - 10:45 AM

10. Syriana
11. Sin City
12. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
13. Kingdom of Heaven
14. War of the Worlds
15. Millions

I bet I would have Munich up there but I haven't had a chance to see it yet dammit!

Jan 7 - 07:48 PM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

Jan 7 - 07:58 PM

Friends_best_show_ever

Jeff Krebs

That list is older, now. I have added "Wedding Crashers" at number 15 and "Crash" at 8. I noted I still haven't seen those so-called Oscar greats, but that doesnt mean they're Top 10 worthy. I bet "Brokeback", Kong, Narnia, The New World, Munich and others will be in my Top 10 once I see them though. I'm only 15, so have to wait to see most R rated films till they're on DVD. "Crash" was awesome. Although, HP4,Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Dukes of Hazzard, The Perfect Man,Elizabethtown,CBTD2, Rumor Has It, The Family Stone, Four Brothers, and Just Friends were all great movies. Which one was the only good one (according to you)? Four Brothers?

Jan 8 - 11:57 AM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

No Harry Potter. Even though I haven't seen it yet. By the way just have your parents take you to the "R" rated movies, that's what I did when I was that age, that and I used to go to a movie thearter where they never asked how old you were, thus I saw almost all my movies that way. I'm not a hell of a lot older than you so don't let your age deter you from seeing good films. Just saw Munich last night, that is another you should see, take your parents.

Jan 9 - 03:00 PM

Friends_best_show_ever

Jeff Krebs

Well, I live about 1/2 qn hour away from the nearest theater. We don't see movies that often. I saw 14 last year (in theaters, 1 with friends & 1 by myself) and they just dont take me to R rated films unless they want to see them. I am going to rent "Munich" when it comes out and BBM, The New World, etc. I will see them, but my list just won't be complete until like summer. I also want to say that my list wasn't bad and you can't judge a movie by its trailer, which you obviously did, because you haven't seen most of those filma and then shouldn't judge them.

Jan 10 - 02:52 PM

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

I can judge a film by its trailer and I can listen to the critics, seeing as more than half the films on your list barely got in the double-digits, thusly I did not see them. Also almost all of those films were things that almost every kid in my highschool would never see, unless taken with a sibling, and at the same time just about every film on that list did not interest me either. For example it was only Cheaper by the Dozen that even closely interested me because I love Eugene Levy and Steve Martin, but the plot and the pure humorlessness of the trailers and the stories I heard from friends thankfully kept me away (ahmen!). Try convincing your parents to get into GOOD film more often and take you to see more artistic and thought provoking films. By the way renting films is a good idea on your part if there is absolutely no way to get to the film, but use this time not seeing good films in thearters torent and see some great historical films so that you know why your list shouldn't be made until you have seen some of this year's REAL films.

Here are a few rentals for you-

Raging Bull/ almost anything by Martin Scorsese
Murderball
Pulp Fiction/ anything by Quentin Tarantino
Seven Samurai/ anything by Akira Kurosawa
The Shining/ anything by Stanley Kubrick
Leon the Professional/ almost anything by Luc Besson
The Godfather/ anything by Francis Ford Coppola
Road to Perdition
Grizzly Man
Blade Runner/ anything by Ridley Scott

These are but a few movie and director recommendations, ask around for more after you have checked a few of these ones out.

Happy viewing.

6.The Perfect Man

5.Cheaper by the Dozen 2

4.Rumor Has It

3.The Dukes of Hazzard

2.Mr. and Mrs. Smith

1.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

**NOTE: Still have amny to see

Jan 8 - 12:09 PM

Mike

First Last

Jan 9 - 09:33 AM

omelette

Bobby Brown

[b]Top 5 2005[/b]
I didn't see all that many worthy of top ten, so I made a top five instead.

5.King Kong

monkeyonaspring

Sam Dunning

1. King Kong
2. Munich
3. Murderball
= Grizzly Man
(Sorry I liked them both so much I couldn't decide)
4. Cinderella Man
5. Good Night and Good Luck
6. A History of Violence
7. Jarhead
8. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
9. Crash
10. Syriana
11. Sin City
12. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
13. Kingdom of Heaven
14. War of the Worlds
15. Millions

Saw Munich last night, great film just added it as I couldn't leave it off.

Jan 9 - 03:05 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships