• R, 2 hr. 12 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

The 40 Year Old Virgin Reviews

Phil H

June 5, 2008
If ever there was a one joke film...So as you may have guessed this is all about a dude who is the ripe old age of 40 and has yet to have jiggy jiggy. Just looking at the cast line up and director for this film you know exactly what to expect comedy wise, there's gonna be infantile toilet humour and lots of sexual innuendos.

But wait! its not all like that, its not gone completely down the 'Deuce Bigalow' route, beneath all the visual gags and nerd references there is actually a heart warming rom-com here. The film kicks off as you would expect and its really quite amusing, Carell is perfectly cast as the simple lonely virgin in his amazingly decent and spacious flat, How does he afford that place with the job he's in?!. Naturally Carell's character has been given the stereotypical nerd look, the silly childish way most males would perceive a single middle aged man with no girlfriend.

'Andy's' home is a haven for all sci-fi comic book merchandise geeks everywhere, a treasure trove of collectibles, action figures, boxed action figures, posters etc...the rather over used and cliched stereotypical view on single guys that might play Dungeons & Dragons too much. Admittedly it is amusing but it does kinda wane quickly to be honest, much like the humour. At first it is funny watching Carell struggle to fit in with his alcohol consuming friends, its probably awkward for most as I'm sure many of us have actually been in that position. Trying to fit in with your mates and not stick out like a sore thumb, we can all relate to these things at some point in our lives and this is why it does hit home and make you cringe and smile at the same time.

Problem was for me it all got very old very fast. The whole infantile college boy type humour, trying to score and pull birds, drinking whilst mocking Andy for the fact he gets more aroused by movie collectibles rather than women (at times). I do like Seth Rogan so that did help along the way, he always comes across like a lunatic about to flip which is hilarious. Thing is once we've had the 'outing' of Andy and the first few attempts to get him laid it just becomes boring.

As we get towards the end of course things get mushy as Andy does find the right woman, they have spats, realise they are meant for each other and eventually naturally become an item, happily ever after. Yeah yeah spoiler alert but who cares, like you can't see that coming a mile off. On the whole you gotta give kudos to Carell for making Andy such a likable guy and to Keener for giving such a touching caring performance as his older girlfriend. Thanks to them the film is elevated above a silly comedy purely about having sex. As for that song n dance routine at the very end...what the hell was that about?!.
Eugene B

July 23, 2013
An unexpected hit with a solid delivery in comedy and even drama. The 40-Year-Old Virgin's realistic tone provides for a film that is as impacting as its cast's performances. Steve Carell leads an ensemble that is crude and raunchy from start to finish with the help of the insightful Judd Apatow. 4.5/5
KJ P

January 23, 2010
Throughout your first experience of this film, you will be rolling on the floor laughing, and watching it a second time, you will be as equally enthralled. I really like how a film that runs solely on sex jokes can be so damn original. So, Andy (Steve Carell) is a "40 Year Old Virgin," and is pursuaded by his friends to find a girl to have sex with, ad along the way, he finally finds his first and only true love. This film is very complex for a comedy, which is a huge payoff in the end, and I was left completely and utterly satisfied. Anyone who complains about this film being bad, must have a problem with the plot or something other than the comedy, because the writing is absolutely gut-splittingly hilarious. This film rocks!
Albert K

September 18, 2010
Sharp dialogue is the name of this movie. Yes, there are occasional fart, genitalia, or immature jokes thrown around but what elevates this comedy to be an incredible one is the performances and the dialogue. A must watch for all comedy fans. I loved it.
Apeneck F

July 16, 2007
Typical Apatow production that succeeds, typically, on the strength of its topical referenced script and the charm of its cast, wherein no one shines simply on their own but particularly in the light of their fellow cast mates. More of a smile comedy that a laugh comedy though.
Scott G

March 24, 2012
Absolutely brilliant jokes and timing, its as if they actually spent 40 years making it.
Graham J

November 20, 2011
Apatow's debut is hilarious though like many comedies of this type it seems to get less and less interesting and more ridiculous as the film goes on.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 24, 2011
Pleasantly suprised by the 40 year old virgin, it was charming and funny and not what you'd expect to find from a film with a name like this. Butwatching this you'll find you care for this virgin. Some bits of it were a bore though leaving you not knowing whether you should laugh or not.
Matthew S

September 13, 2011
Watching this again, I realized it's much like the Carell's latest movie, "Crazy, Stupid, Love." A man struggles with his manhood, gets tutored on how to be an ass hole and sleep with women who have no self respect, loses his self in the process, and in the end, everyone finds their humanity and happiness. There is a lot of sincerity, laughs, and personality in all the characters to make it still feel brand new and refreshing.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
Fresh and definitely funny. I've never seen my dad laugh so hard.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 24, 2011
The 40-Year Old Virgin is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen. What can I say about the plot, a 40 year old virgin named Andy (Steve Carell) becomes buddies with three guy he works with named Cal (Seth Rogen), Jay (Romany Malco), and David (Paul Rudd), and when he tells them he is a virgin, they decide to train him to get laid. But soon Andy meets Trish (Catherine Keener) and he starts falling for her, but one problem, he has to tell her hes a virgin. The cast was perfect in my opinion, every single actors was amazing even if I think they could have found someone more attractive than Catherine Keener, they still managed to give her some good moments, but the true spotlight goes to Steve Carell, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, and Romany Malco. The plot is a comedy laugh riot, maybe its just me but it started to have some sweet moments nere the end and I didn't like that, but its still managed to make me laugh my ass off all the way through. If you have ever been a nerd or didn't get laid for a long time, this movie will relate to you and you will love it, if you haven't you will probably laugh even harder because you will enjoy watching the hilarious moments. What a great movie.
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 16, 2011
Beth: We could do it in the... butt, if you want.
Andy Stitzer: But if I want what?
Beth: You know... butt!
Andy Stitzer: But... what?

The 40 Year Old Virgin is a raunchy and hilarious movie from the biggest name in comedy today, Judd Apatow. I'm a fan of his movies and while this isn't my favorite of his, there is still a lot to like. Obviously, the story makes for a really funny movie by itself. Steve Carrell totally owns his role and is as funny as he has ever been. A couple of other regulars from Apatows movies Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen make good supporting appearances.

The actresses in this are perfect. I love Catherine Keener, Elizabeth Bank, and Leslie Mann. They are all very beautiful and perform good in their roles. The 40 Year Old Virgin isn't an important movie, but it is a great comedy. None of it's jokes fall flat as they tend to do in a lot of raunchy comedies. The jokes also don't come off as over the top. After multiple viewings it still remains pretty funny.
murphmann93
murphmann93

July 6, 2008
Very funny but way too long. You get bored after a while and the ending is a little weird. Hysterical don't get me wrong, but it wasn't one of the greatest films I've seen Steve Carroll in, although I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend this film.
3niR
3niR

October 21, 2010
Honestly, this was really funny. Especially the waxing part was hilarious. You must watch this. Steve Carrell is just awesome!
Drake T

June 2, 2011
I'd rate this higher if this weren't essentially a coming-of-age story with a complete cast that should have come-of-age already.

It's weird really, Apatow delivers an emotional, mature relationship between Carell and Keener but barely holds it up by giving us the most immature, juvenile bunch of grown men I've ever seen to place the premise on.

It's a film that really makes more sense with a younger setting but I guess the hook of a 20 year old virgin just wouldn't work the same, would it?

I also can't say I found the film thoroughly amusing, the gag comedy of these men trying to "get women" or Carell's "innocence" plays on such redundant "highschool" stereotypes.

The best parts are Lynch and Dennings, one's actually funny and the other plays an actual legitimate support character.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 24, 2011
40 Year Old Virgin is one the best films made by Judd Apatow. The story follows a middle aged man named Andy, who is a virgin and his friends a co workers.try to help him. The film takes a hilarious turn because Andy's friends try many unsuccessful times to hook Andy up, but to embarrassing results. Judd Apatow script and direction are brilliant, and the film provides many good laugh out loud moments as you see Andy's friends try to help him. The cast is well chosen cast of talented comedians. Starring is Steve Carrell in one of most memorable performances with Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd and Elizabeth Banks. 40 Year Old Virgin succeeds in creating something funny out of a totally embarrassing situation and thats why the film works well. The jokes aren't bland, and always feel fresh everytime you watch it. The film has many memorable quotes and terrific scenes. Judd Apatow has made a fine comedy film that is always a lot of fun to watch. Though at times uneven, the wacky characters and ridiculous story makes up for it's faults. 40 Year Old Virgin is a terrific film to watch with friends and have a good time. The 40 Year Old Virgin is a comedy with a great cast of varied talent and the film succeeds more than once in providing solid laughs. A well written comedy. Really for me the low point was the ending where all the characters start singing that song, I felt it didn't fit, and was extremely silly, even by the standards of this film. Other than that, this film is great.
Sophie B

August 20, 2007
Not that funny. The chest waxing bit was quite funny. But rather boring.
Lady D

August 3, 2006
For me this was better second time around, with a great comedy cast, who bounce off eachother.

The scenario paints a humourous picture of an almost frustrating build up. The ending scene tops the film off nicely.

One of my favourite comedies of the past few years.
Coxxie M

May 13, 2008
the only reason i cant give this 5 stars is because its a sex-comedy. and i think that means i have a little bit of an ego. wow...
Alice S

August 8, 2010
Good old Apatow raunch mixed with good old Apatow heart. I rather like Kat Dennings' screechy tirades. They seem organic...whatever that means.