Total Recall: Harrison Ford's Best Movies

Summary

He may not be quite the box office draw he once was, but don't cry for Harrison Ford: Over the last 35 years or so, he's amassed a lifetime gross in excess of $3.4 billion -- and more importantly, he's kicked bad-guy tail as some of the most memorable cinematic heroes in history, including Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and Jack Ryan. He's made a whole bunch of great movies along the way, too -- and with Ford making an appearance in the Jackie Robinson biopic 42, opening this Friday, we thought now would be the perfect time to take a look back at some of the critical highlights of his illustrious filmography. Back to Article

Comments

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

It was one reason that the PG13 rating was invented.

Apr 11 - 01:27 AM

Mike Quach

Mike Quach

crusades was boring compare to ToD

Apr 12 - 04:02 PM

Ng Learn

Ng Learn

It still puzzled me, do the robot dogs dream of electrical sheeps?

Apr 11 - 02:05 AM

Ryan Adams

Ryan Adams

Every actor or actress has a few stinkers, including Ford... though there's a reason why he's probably sold more movie tickets for Hollywood than anyone else alive.

Apr 11 - 03:34 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Like I said, I haven't seen any shitty films with him. And whatever he has been in that sucks, I sure don't want to watch it.

Apr 11 - 12:18 PM

Patrick Mullen

Patrick Mullen

Then by all means avoid Firewall

Apr 12 - 01:06 PM

Ryan Adams

Ryan Adams

Last Crusade > Doom > Raiders > that goofy one with golfers and fridge nuking.

Apr 11 - 03:36 AM

Mike Quach

Mike Quach

raiders>doom>crystal skull>crusades

Apr 12 - 04:03 PM

Ryan Adams

Ryan Adams

Honestly, Raiders of the Lost Arc doesn't age well for me. I think most people who put it as the best of Indie do so because it was the first, and probably the one they first saw as a kid. Both Last Crusade and Doom is better than Raiders, benefiting from much better effects and better stories, IMO. Particularly, Doom really works for me because of the darkness, whereas Crusade works because of its swashbuckling light. Raiders had a little bit of both and therefore can't quite reach the heights of either.

Apr 11 - 03:40 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Your impressions of "darkness" and "light" don't make for very compelling criticisms. "Raiders" was dark, in that Jones was a "raider", and fairly immoral through most of the film in his quest to complete his task. None of the sequels have set pieces that can match the skill or exhilaration of "Raiders" opening (about as tense and "dark" as the series ever got) or the Well of Souls. And the fact of it being "first" is not something to dismiss - it set the standard and the formula, and so narratively it still remains the freshest. It isn't just the best Indiana Jones, it's some of Spielberg's greatest filmmaking, as he's even acknowledged.

Apr 11 - 03:16 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Also the car chase scene is about as close to action perfection as you can get. Temple was maybe as good in it's action sequences and had the benefit of Short Round, one of the great comedic relief characters in cinema, but it also had a campiness which brought it down for me and Crusade was as good with it's adventure elements and by far the hottest chick in it, but it's action elements weren't up to par compared to the other two. Where was the Boulder scene, Car Chase, Plane Crash or Mine Shaft scenes in Crusade? Closest it got was Sean Connery with his umbrella and the trials...just not quite on the same level. As JJ said Raiders established the formula which the other two emulated, never quite attaining the same completeness of the original.

Apr 11 - 04:24 PM

King  S.

King Simba

You just echoed my exact thoughts on the franchise. I love Raiders of the Lost Ark and I think it's one of the greatest adventure films of all time, but for me it didn't quite reach the pulse pounding thrills of Temple of Doom (seriously I still can't believe that movie is 2 and a half hours long. It sure doesn't feel like it), or the blast of fun of Last Crusade (the chemistry between Connery and Ford is fantastic). Then again, I think Roger Ebert had a point when he compared Indiana Jones to sausages. The first one you try always tastes the best, and Raiders was the third one I saw (the same can arguably be applied to James Bond, which is probably the reason why I never liked Dr. No as much as most people. Again, this is not to say it's a bad film, just that I can think of at least 5 other Bond films I preffered to it). Plus seeing the other two before Raiders sort of killed the mystery as to whether or not the ark really did have powers. Had I been introduced to the series the way one was supposed to I might have thought differently.

Apr 11 - 11:30 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

He compared Indy to sausages?For me the second one always tastes better,no idea why.
A fourth sausage always tastes horrible.

Apr 14 - 08:05 AM

Jarratt Bryan

Jarratt Bryan

When I see Stallone onscreen, I think Rocky and Rambo. When I see Arnold, I see the Terminator. But when I see Ford onscreen, I see the character he's portraying in that movie, not Han, Indy, or Jack. I'm not sure why, but for an actor who should be typecast maybe more than any other, I've always been blown away his ability to "become" the character. The only other actor that comes close, to me, is Mel Gibson.

Apr 11 - 05:40 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Cowboys and Aliens was almost a stinker. He's been in quite a few 'Meh' films but managed to keep his dignity.

Apr 11 - 05:50 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I only watched about 20 minutes of that movie, & I recall it being uninteresting.

Apr 11 - 12:17 PM

Krur Singh

Krur Singh

yupe i cudnt finish that movie either

Apr 11 - 05:40 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I actually liked Temple best, although I know I'm in the minority. Aside from the first, it was the most 'fun' movie in the series.

Apr 11 - 05:52 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I love Temple, I'd even make the argument that it's the most iconic of the Indy movies, but for me Raiders is almost perfect as a self contained movie. Love them both, and it's a testament to how good Raiders was that I mark it above Temple or even Crusade for that matter. Crystal Skull...not so much.

Apr 11 - 04:13 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Temple of Doom is,in my opinion,the best and actually Val if you look at the comments here,you're not in the minority.

Apr 14 - 08:00 AM

dyun1dyun1

Dong Yun

I felt that movie changed me and how I thought.

Apr 11 - 09:42 AM

dyun1dyun1

Dong Yun

Temple of Doom was my favorite also.

Apr 11 - 09:43 AM

Ronald Domholdt

Ronald Domholdt

Stupid ewoks.

Apr 12 - 03:55 PM

Linda Van de Wiel

Linda Van de Wiel

all his films on this list are just great...my favorite is the fugitive

Apr 11 - 11:39 AM

Nelly Shovikova

Nelly Shovikova

Empire Strikes Back is a great film, but it's not a film in which Ford gives his strongest performance. His strongest film is K-19, I believe. I was in awe!

Apr 11 - 11:55 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

When Ford says "I know", he officially became a movie star.

Apr 11 - 03:18 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

This is what having a competent director who understands dialogue can do for a movie

Apr 11 - 04:40 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

HA! Yeah, Lucas hated the line, and wanted it cut.

Apr 11 - 05:33 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

One of the best unscripted lines in movies

Apr 11 - 07:04 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I know you're joking, or at least I hope you are, but I'd say Ford's strongest acting was done in Witness, Presumed Innocent and the unmentioned Regarding Henry. Ford's real strengths though were his screen presence. He was more the movie star than the consummate actor.

Apr 11 - 04:27 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Have to stop you right there Big Brother because "Regarding Henry" kind of sucked and the 44% given by RT is spot on, as opposed to the users who gave it 63%! The movie was trying to say that as a result of that bullet in the head shot by the person who robbed him turned him into a more compassionate person message I thought was kind of BS! What the movie didn't address was that as a result of being shot in the head, his life expectancy is a lot lower! And now he has no job because he doesn't want to be paid to do nothing- no one won't hire him because his mental state are the same as a child, need I say more!

Apr 11 - 05:49 PM

Kirk Orebaugh

Kirk Orebaugh

Hey BB, not to disagree, because your spot on with your choices for Ford's strongest "acting" roles. Although I think all Raiders fans would argue that he should have been nominated for Raiders as best actor, especially if you see that Johnny Depp was nominated for the first Pirates film. Ford owns the role of Indian Jones. But I digress, personally Mr. Fords best acting was in one of his least popular, both commerically and fanwise. It is "The Mosquito Coast", If you haven't seen it, I highly suggest you do. It was his second film with the great Peter Weir after "Witness", and it costars Helen Mirren and River Phoenix (young indy for you youngsters). He is mesmerizing as Allie Fox, an inventor with a few screws loose, who undertakes an adventure in which he drags his family around the world to find his Shangr-La and create his own self contained world with him as god. He is absolutely mesmerizing and I think it his most underrated film. But I am an old schooler who was first captivated at the age of 15 by a wise cracking space pirate and have been a fan ever since.

Jun 6 - 12:32 PM

Vin Moran

Vin Moran

The Fugitive should be much higher up.

Apr 11 - 12:02 PM

Tim Schmidt

Tim Schmidt

Agree. one of his best if not the best. I don't really care for any of his movies except fugitive and blade runner.

Apr 12 - 07:23 AM

Patrick Mullen

Patrick Mullen

Then by all means avoid Firewall

Apr 12 - 01:06 PM

Connor Hawkins

Connor Hawkins

Now I know this list goes on rottentomatoes' rating system but there is no way the fugitive is a better film than Blade Runner!

Apr 11 - 03:01 PM

Greg Younger

Greg Younger

Amen. And look at the title of this retrospective...PK Dick, we owe it all to you.

Apr 12 - 09:41 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Good Friday