45% The Other Woman Apr 25

4:44 Last Day on Earth Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 17, 2012
A look at how a painter and a successful actor spend their last day together before the world comes to an end.

Bad Film! This film must have been pure profit for the makers. I think about 20 percent of it must have been archived footage from around the world. The biggest problem I had with this movie is that it reminded me of a mediocre film school project at best. It tried to be artsy but failed. It tried to be philosophical but failed. It tried to be an emotional tale of a shared ending and failed. It tried to tie all these together with the worst music and sound effects that I have heard in some time. My ears are still ringing. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this one unless you happen to be in the mood to be severely underwhelmed.

In a large apartment high above the city lives our couple. They're in love. She's a painter, he's a successful actor. Just a normal afternoon except that this isn't a normal afternoon, for them or anyone else. Because tomorrow, at 4:44 am, give or take a few seconds, the world will come to an end far more rapidly than even the worst doomsayer could have imagined. The final meltdown will come not without warnings, but with no means of escape. There will be no survivors. As always, there are those who, as their last cigarette is being lit and the blindfold tightened, will still hope against hope for some kind of reprieve. For a miracle. Not our two lovers. They like the majority of the Earth's population have accepted their fate: the world is going to end.

November 28, 2013
"4:44 Last Day on Earth" is the kind of ponderous movie that provides insights as to why Willem Dafoe is now doing commercials, for which he receives a special dispensation for. Otherwise, there is not that much thought going on here, even at the end of the world. Yes, Al Gore is right but surely we could think of a better epitaph for the human race than that.

Storywise, Dafoe plays Cisco who spends his last day with his much, much younger significant other Skye(Shanyn Leigh), arguing, having sex and Skyping, thankfully not all at the same time. This sort of thing might have actually had a chance of working if they were in an isolated cabin in say Montana but not Brooklyn, where news reports notwithstanding, there would be something more out of the ordinary going on than one person jumping to his death right before the apocalypse.
Shawn M

July 10, 2012
was waiting for an epic ending, but my guess was right half way through... this film was done on what.. one hand held camera? and a lot of youtube clips mixed together to make it all... educational and... stoned for the stoners... how ever, really smart, interesting and epic way of looking at it.... I was just hoping for a massive cliax at the end, then that would be an epic sequel to ah... one of them.. Armageddon... Deep Impact.... Day After Tomorrow... I love them flicks but THIS ONE.... I'll give ya 3 quid... take it or leave it... talk to me... terry tibs!
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

April 3, 2012
Dafoe and Leigh moap around their New York loft as they await the end of the world, due to arrive at 4:44 the next morning.

The advent of digital video has meant film-making has become much more accessible. Whereas in the past it would cost a fortune and take a lot of convincing to make would be financiers part with their cash, now you just need a camera and some talent. Ferrara has a camera.
From the opening scene of Leigh smearing paint on her pretentious Pollock style canvas, I knew this movie was not for me. Every character epitomizes the sort of New York post-Warhol, Lou Reed wannabe intellectual that makes the rest of America despise the city. For some reason Ferrara seems to think audiences want to watch these douchebags dance around their lofts, cigarette in one hand, glass of wine in the other, while the Dalai Lama gives a talk about achieving harmony in the background.
The movie seems partly funded by Skype, characters are constantly using it to communicate, mostly to watch other douchebags dance around their lofts. I don't think I've ever heard the name of a product spoken so many times in one movie. At one point a character even gets corrected for mispronouncing it as "sky-pee". Yep, those New York liberals hate big corporations, except when they make stuff they use themselves.
If you're the type of person who wears black-rimmed glasses even though you don't need them, this may be the film for you. If however you're not an insufferable prick, avoid this.
Oh, and in Ferrara's mind, even on the last night on earth you'll still be able to order Chinese takeout.
April 4, 2013
I couldn't get very far into this absurd movie. I gave my copy away to an artsy friend. She couldn't finish it either. Trash. It's just trash. Mercifully, the movie's short so you can at least tell people you got half way through it.
Hamee
January 12, 2013
This was absolutely ridiculous and pointless. Dafoe was creepy and old in comparison to Leigh and they were not at all a believable couple.
August 31, 2012
All around the globe, people are dealing with the end. The world will officially come to an end at 4:44 am EST due to the ozone layer being totally depleted, and some solar flare that will probably hit the earth then.

Cisco (Willem Dafoe) and his younger girlfriend Skye (Shanyn Leigh) spend the last moments on earth together, painting and talking about their pasts, as well as drudging up old issues while trying to say goodbye to the people they loved in life.

So what would you do if you knew when the world would end? Spend it at work? With your friends? With your family? Alone? The only thing I really liked about this film is these thought-provoking questions. This isn't your typical Armageddon movie. There's no superior special effects, no Presidential plan to keep the earth going, nothing. It's a very simplistic film that probably mimics the general populous on how they would act if they knew the world was coming to an end and they had no say in the matter. Unfortunately, it was really, really, really boring.
April 2, 2012
"Ugh!" What a way to start a review; but I cannot come up with a better word to use to express my thoughts on 4:44 Last Day on Earth, a rather dreadful indie film about "the last day on earth" as experienced by a successful actor played by Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man, The English Patient, Finding Nemo). Living in a large/sprawling NYC high rise apartment with his much-younger artist girlfriend, Skye (Shanyn Leigh - Public Enemies), the two spend their last day together making love, squabbling, using Skype, sleeping and eating (she also paints - a LOT, which doesn't fit into the time scale of the film!). 4:44 the following morning is the announced time of the end of the earth and therefore life as we know it¦ because (according to the film) Al Gore was right about global warming although he was horribly wrong forecasting how long our planet had before the ice caps etc. would melt. The ice caps aren't the problem in 4:44 -- the fully depleted ozone layer is. It will completely disappear at 4:44 Eastern Standard time (around the world all at once -- the clock is just set to NYC time). As you can tell, it tries to be heavy and meaningful (using many good/wise clips of the Dalai Lama shows how "serious"� the film wants to be) but the film means nothing because it is outlandish and the characters aren't relatable. I AM one who believes that nine billion people on the planet with X-amount of them driving vehicles (meaning billions) does most-likely cause some kind of damage; but I do NOT buy the main premise presented here -- that of the ozone depleting ALL at once! It isn't the Rapture, an alien invasion, a nuclear meltdown or a planetary collision (see Melancholia) that brings about the end of humankind. That the EXACT time is known makes it all the more IMplausible -- puh-lease! As for the story, Dafoe plays an actor that is worried about the end but he spends his day with his young love and also ventures out a few times to see some old friends. The streets of NYC are always full of traffic and the sidewalks are well-populated ... and there seems to be no chaos! Dafoe does see a man plummet to his death; but that appears to be the only despair on display in 4:44. This is seriously ALL the film is about ... another ridiculous scene has the couple order Chinese food for delivery. If it is someone's favorite, I'd understand wanting it to be one's last meal¦ but would restaurants really be open a few mere hours before the END of ALL LIFE? And -- if they did deliver, what is the point of waiting around to get paid?! What is one going to do with that money TOMORROW? I oftentimes found myself chuckling and/or talking to the screen because so much of the film doesn't work and everyone onscreen doesn't appear to understand this. Leigh is one of the worst actresses I have seen lately -- her faux giggles and scowls were irritating. Dafoe was dense and spoke in circles. And -- I didn't care about either of them. How BAD is it that one wishes they could fast-forward to the end of a film because he/she'd rather see MASS DEATH than experience any more of these two characters' mundane lives?! Ugh.
November 8, 2012
Abel Ferrara's "4:44 Last Day On Earth" Is An Incredibly Powerful And Wonderfully Audacious Film That Will Bend Your Mind. The Film May Be Ferrara's Finest Achievement As A Filmmaker. Willem Dafoe And Shanyn Leigh As A Couple Living In NYC When They Learn That The Apocalypse Is Imminent And Will Occur At Exactly 4:44 A.M. This Is A Film Only Abel Ferrara Could Have Made. There Are No Explosions Or Massive Action Scenes. This Film Is All About Character And Mood. If The Apocalypse Were To Occur, This Is How People Would React. Ferrara Is Not Interested In The Big Bang, But The Little Nuances Of Human Interaction. If You Do Not Think That Ferrara Is A Master Filmmaker, Then This Is The Proof. Ken Kelsch's Cinematography Is Extraordinary And Stunningly Beautiful. The Film Is Both Understated And Extraordinary. The Score Is Incredible And Absolutely Terrifying. The Film's Music Makes The Film Into An Unforgettable Masterpiece. Some Of The Songs Sent Chills Down My Spine And Put Me Into A Mood That Only This Film Could. The Film Reminded Me In A Way Of Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers". The Script Is Excellent And The Atmosphere Is Intoxicating. The Ending Is Absolutely Brilliant And Deeply Unsettling. "4:44" Is The Creepiest Film Since David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." Watching "4:44" Is An Incredible Viewing Experience That I Will Never Forget.

November 28, 2013

June 5, 2012
Good theme, but extremely pretentious (and boring) writing
br32yrold
September 22, 2013
i like when the movie ended. it was great to see commercials again.
July 27, 2013
An artsy mess. You'd think with just one day left to live one would do less arguing and more....
July 7, 2013
I won't go into a ton of detail, but the low ratings are ridiculous. This is not "Tree of Life" for crying out loud. It was slow to an extent, but not in a bad way. It was an emotional journey about two people figuring things out basically a day before the end of the world. More to it of course. A lot of deep spiritual messaging, cautionary tale to those willing to listen, and really an amazing job by the entire cast. It made me think and in a good way. It was both incredibly depressing yet equally moving and uplifting. I'm glad I randomly discovered it On Demand last night. Don't let the ignorant Independence Day loving public steer you away from a great movie. Put your open mind cap on and let yourself enjoy it. You can watch World War Z some other time. In some ways reminded me of Lars Von Trier's "Antichrist" which was very good also. I saw a lot of his style in this movie.
May 20, 2013
La idea inicial es sugerente, incluso provocativa. ¿Qué sucederí­a con nuestras últimas horas si hubiera certeza de que el mundo se acaba en una hora especí­fica? La solución de Ferrara es fallida, tanto en lo técnico (realización), como en lo emocional (lo que nos provoca). Cisco, el protagonista, es un tipo tan descompuesto que en algunos momentos quiere uno que ya se acabe el mundo y la pelí­cula con él. Ferrara, sin embargo, tiene oficio, y sostiene la cinta en cómo el fin sacará lo mejor y peor de todos. Al final, es esto último lo que deja un mal sabor y acaba con cualquier posible conexión emocional con la historia y sus personajes, lo que evita cualquier tipo de catarsis o emoción al cierre. En retrospectiva, una cinta muy decepcionante.
February 22, 2013
wow, this movie sucked so bad I'll be glad when the end of the world comes so no more movies like this will be made!
January 23, 2013
Trash! Worst movie I've ever seen!
Maksim
January 10, 2013
A sort of a indie-hipster-B-movie, 4:44 Last Day on Earth is a pretentious, unappealing and boring mixture of drama and science fiction. Focused on a couple which is to meet the end of the world, this art house attempt ultimately fails to maintain the interest of the audience, to meet initial expectations or to satisfy the fans of indie movies.

4:44 Last Day on Earth describes the last day of the world, through the eyes of a dysfunctional indie-hipster couple. A mid-aged divorced man and his young artist girlfriend face what seems to a probable end of the world. After a very promising and somehow brutal beginning, in which the announcement of the upcoming end of the world is made, the movie stumbles in its own attempts to be "indie", to be "different". With a following overlong loving scene between Willem Dafoe and Shanyn Leigh, the audience is introduced to what is going to happen in the following one hour.

Long scene of love-making are followed by moments of scandals,painting,music and carelessness. As if the world is not coming to an end. Director Abel Ferrara fails to build up any tension. Her depiction of New York a day before the end is bizarre as the sense of panic of despair is nowhere to be felt. In addition to this, there are so many questions unexplained, such as how could internet communication be possible (or with such a good quality), that an attentive viewer would be at least annoyed.

Towards the final part of the movie, the tension is increased as the end of the world approaches. Yet, once again, director Abel Ferrara does not manage to develop this and chooses for a completely downbeat and disappointing ending. The only positive thing in the whole movie is the remarkable performance of Willem Dafoe. For second time this year, after The Hunter, he has managed to deliver a performance that literary hold the whole movie from falling apart.

After approaching 4:44 Last Day on Earth with the expectations of seeing a dramatic sci-fi art house movie, it is hard to hide the disappointment from this delivery. Lost, unfocused and way over the top, this is probably the second worst ending of the world, after Skyline (2010).
January 1, 2013
All that i am going to remember from thus movie is Willem Dafoe's bush.
December 30, 2012
Awful. Willem has nothing to do but Skype, have naked middle-aged sex, and fight with his much younger girlfriend. That's how he spends his last day on earth; and they order Chinese takeout, which is STILL DELIVERING!!! Gotta love New York! The girlfriend (played by the "long-time companion" of the director) is one of the worst actresses I have ever seen. She shrieks a LOT, she "paints" while wearing a succession of flowing gowns (gotta use up that costume budget!), she Skypes her mom TO COMPLAIN ABOUT HER BOYFRIEND a matter of hours before the world is scheduled to end (yes, they know the end is nigh). The premise of the end of the world is laughable and not based on anything that could actually happen. And there's no panic, everyone is still going to work, the power and buses etc. are still up and running.....REALLY?? There's one moment where in the distance we see 3 police cars/firetrucks roaring past.
Don't waste your time. Sorry I did, even though I saw it on Showtime for free.