4:44 Last Day on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

4:44 Last Day on Earth Reviews

½ April 4, 2013
I couldn't get very far into this absurd movie. I gave my copy away to an artsy friend. She couldn't finish it either. Trash. It's just trash. Mercifully, the movie's short so you can at least tell people you got half way through it.
MANUGINO
July 17, 2012
A look at how a painter and a successful actor spend their last day together before the world comes to an end.

Bad Film! This film must have been pure profit for the makers. I think about 20 percent of it must have been archived footage from around the world. The biggest problem I had with this movie is that it reminded me of a mediocre film school project at best. It tried to be artsy but failed. It tried to be philosophical but failed. It tried to be an emotional tale of a shared ending and failed. It tried to tie all these together with the worst music and sound effects that I have heard in some time. My ears are still ringing. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this one unless you happen to be in the mood to be severely underwhelmed.

In a large apartment high above the city lives our couple. They're in love. She's a painter, he's a successful actor. Just a normal afternoon except that this isn't a normal afternoon, for them or anyone else. Because tomorrow, at 4:44 am, give or take a few seconds, the world will come to an end far more rapidly than even the worst doomsayer could have imagined. The final meltdown will come not without warnings, but with no means of escape. There will be no survivors. As always, there are those who, as their last cigarette is being lit and the blindfold tightened, will still hope against hope for some kind of reprieve. For a miracle. Not our two lovers. They like the majority of the Earth's population have accepted their fate: the world is going to end.
Harlequin68
½ November 28, 2013
"4:44 Last Day on Earth" is the kind of ponderous movie that provides insights as to why Willem Dafoe is now doing commercials, for which he receives a special dispensation for. Otherwise, there is not that much thought going on here, even at the end of the world. Yes, Al Gore is right but surely we could think of a better epitaph for the human race than that.

Storywise, Dafoe plays Cisco who spends his last day with his much, much younger significant other Skye(Shanyn Leigh), arguing, having sex and Skyping, thankfully not all at the same time. This sort of thing might have actually had a chance of working if they were in an isolated cabin in say Montana but not Brooklyn, where news reports notwithstanding, there would be something more out of the ordinary going on than one person jumping to his death right before the apocalypse.
July 10, 2012
was waiting for an epic ending, but my guess was right half way through... this film was done on what.. one hand held camera? and a lot of youtube clips mixed together to make it all... educational and... stoned for the stoners... how ever, really smart, interesting and epic way of looking at it.... I was just hoping for a massive cliax at the end, then that would be an epic sequel to ah... one of them.. Armageddon... Deep Impact.... Day After Tomorrow... I love them flicks but THIS ONE.... I'll give ya 3 quid... take it or leave it... talk to me... terry tibs!
themoviewaffler.com
½ April 3, 2012
Dafoe and Leigh moap around their New York loft as they await the end of the world, due to arrive at 4:44 the next morning.

The advent of digital video has meant film-making has become much more accessible. Whereas in the past it would cost a fortune and take a lot of convincing to make would be financiers part with their cash, now you just need a camera and some talent. Ferrara has a camera.
From the opening scene of Leigh smearing paint on her pretentious Pollock style canvas, I knew this movie was not for me. Every character epitomizes the sort of New York post-Warhol, Lou Reed wannabe intellectual that makes the rest of America despise the city. For some reason Ferrara seems to think audiences want to watch these douchebags dance around their lofts, cigarette in one hand, glass of wine in the other, while the Dalai Lama gives a talk about achieving harmony in the background.
The movie seems partly funded by Skype, characters are constantly using it to communicate, mostly to watch other douchebags dance around their lofts. I don't think I've ever heard the name of a product spoken so many times in one movie. At one point a character even gets corrected for mispronouncing it as "sky-pee". Yep, those New York liberals hate big corporations, except when they make stuff they use themselves.
If you're the type of person who wears black-rimmed glasses even though you don't need them, this may be the film for you. If however you're not an insufferable prick, avoid this.
Oh, and in Ferrara's mind, even on the last night on earth you'll still be able to order Chinese takeout.
July 17, 2014
Ok so I admit, I watched this movie strictly because Natasha Lyonne was in it. Much to my sadness, maybe a paragraph's worth and plus it "starred" one of my least favorite actors, William "I spell my name Willem" Dafoe in it. It's a terrible movie. It gets one star for Ms. Lyonne otherwise zippo!
November 8, 2012
Abel Ferrara's "4:44 Last Day On Earth" Is An Incredibly Powerful And Wonderfully Audacious Film That Will Bend Your Mind. The Film May Be Ferrara's Finest Achievement As A Filmmaker. Willem Dafoe And Shanyn Leigh As A Couple Living In NYC When They Learn That The Apocalypse Is Imminent And Will Occur At Exactly 4:44 A.M. This Is A Film Only Abel Ferrara Could Have Made. There Are No Explosions Or Massive Action Scenes. This Film Is All About Character And Mood. If The Apocalypse Were To Occur, This Is How People Would React. Ferrara Is Not Interested In The Big Bang, But The Little Nuances Of Human Interaction. If You Do Not Think That Ferrara Is A Master Filmmaker, Then This Is The Proof. Ken Kelsch's Cinematography Is Extraordinary And Stunningly Beautiful. The Film Is Both Understated And Extraordinary. The Score Is Incredible And Absolutely Terrifying. The Film's Music Makes The Film Into An Unforgettable Masterpiece. Some Of The Songs Sent Chills Down My Spine And Put Me Into A Mood That Only This Film Could. The Film Reminded Me In A Way Of Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers". The Script Is Excellent And The Atmosphere Is Intoxicating. The Ending Is Absolutely Brilliant And Deeply Unsettling. "4:44" Is The Creepiest Film Since David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." Watching "4:44" Is An Incredible Viewing Experience That I Will Never Forget.
January 12, 2013
This was absolutely ridiculous and pointless. Dafoe was creepy and old in comparison to Leigh and they were not at all a believable couple.
½ January 12, 2013
Though it gains traction toward the end, viewers may finally feel puzzled or indifferent. You expect a bit more from the end of the world.
November 15, 2012
Just watched this on Showtime today...this has to be the most dreary, boring movie I have seen in sometime...avoid this one at all costs, not unless you want some good sleep. Makes Nichols Cages "The Knowing" look like an Academy Award winner which is another doomsday flick...:((
August 31, 2012
All around the globe, people are dealing with the end. The world will officially come to an end at 4:44 am EST due to the ozone layer being totally depleted, and some solar flare that will probably hit the earth then.

Cisco (Willem Dafoe) and his younger girlfriend Skye (Shanyn Leigh) spend the last moments on earth together, painting and talking about their pasts, as well as drudging up old issues while trying to say goodbye to the people they loved in life.

So what would you do if you knew when the world would end? Spend it at work? With your friends? With your family? Alone? The only thing I really liked about this film is these thought-provoking questions. This isn't your typical Armageddon movie. There's no superior special effects, no Presidential plan to keep the earth going, nothing. It's a very simplistic film that probably mimics the general populous on how they would act if they knew the world was coming to an end and they had no say in the matter. Unfortunately, it was really, really, really boring.
August 26, 2012
Odd, interesting, tries for deep meaning but ends up being an individual story that is not very compelling. It is like a good guitar riff in a mediocre song.
July 28, 2012
It's the end of the world. "Al Gore was right." NY1's Pat Kiernan is on the tube saying he's going home to be with his family. Whatever. Watching what two people do in their final days seems like a great idea, but this movie misses on so many marks as did "Melancolia" earlier this year. For far better artsy end of the world movies, see "Last Night" or "Miracle Mile". And of course avoid the Hollywood style "2012" mega poop film's at all costs.
½ April 2, 2012
"Ugh!" What a way to start a review; but I cannot come up with a better word to use to express my thoughts on 4:44 Last Day on Earth, a rather dreadful indie film about "the last day on earth" as experienced by a successful actor played by Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man, The English Patient, Finding Nemo). Living in a large/sprawling NYC high rise apartment with his much-younger artist girlfriend, Skye (Shanyn Leigh - Public Enemies), the two spend their last day together making love, squabbling, using Skype, sleeping and eating (she also paints - a LOT, which doesn't fit into the time scale of the film!). 4:44 the following morning is the announced time of the end of the earth and therefore life as we know it¦ because (according to the film) Al Gore was right about global warming although he was horribly wrong forecasting how long our planet had before the ice caps etc. would melt. The ice caps aren't the problem in 4:44 -- the fully depleted ozone layer is. It will completely disappear at 4:44 Eastern Standard time (around the world all at once -- the clock is just set to NYC time). As you can tell, it tries to be heavy and meaningful (using many good/wise clips of the Dalai Lama shows how "serious"� the film wants to be) but the film means nothing because it is outlandish and the characters aren't relatable. I AM one who believes that nine billion people on the planet with X-amount of them driving vehicles (meaning billions) does most-likely cause some kind of damage; but I do NOT buy the main premise presented here -- that of the ozone depleting ALL at once! It isn't the Rapture, an alien invasion, a nuclear meltdown or a planetary collision (see Melancholia) that brings about the end of humankind. That the EXACT time is known makes it all the more IMplausible -- puh-lease! As for the story, Dafoe plays an actor that is worried about the end but he spends his day with his young love and also ventures out a few times to see some old friends. The streets of NYC are always full of traffic and the sidewalks are well-populated ... and there seems to be no chaos! Dafoe does see a man plummet to his death; but that appears to be the only despair on display in 4:44. This is seriously ALL the film is about ... another ridiculous scene has the couple order Chinese food for delivery. If it is someone's favorite, I'd understand wanting it to be one's last meal¦ but would restaurants really be open a few mere hours before the END of ALL LIFE? And -- if they did deliver, what is the point of waiting around to get paid?! What is one going to do with that money TOMORROW? I oftentimes found myself chuckling and/or talking to the screen because so much of the film doesn't work and everyone onscreen doesn't appear to understand this. Leigh is one of the worst actresses I have seen lately -- her faux giggles and scowls were irritating. Dafoe was dense and spoke in circles. And -- I didn't care about either of them. How BAD is it that one wishes they could fast-forward to the end of a film because he/she'd rather see MASS DEATH than experience any more of these two characters' mundane lives?! Ugh.
September 14, 2015
Loved the camera work and the performances. It seemed to intentionally break away from the more formulaic approach to end of the world films, and present a more surreal approach to the end. Not buying, for instance, that anyone would still be delivering food hours from the apocalypse. Or that someone would be running around in an 18-wheeler. Or that cops would be still out on patrol. Then again, how likely or realistic is the complete and total end of the world?
May 4, 2015
Meditação new-age sobre o fim do mundo perspectivado por um casal nova-iorquino traduz-se num dos mais aborrecidos e sofríveis filmes de Abel Ferrara. Algumas cenas de intimidade bem filmadas não chegam para salvar mais um filme em que Willem Dafoe se afunda convictamente com Ferrara.
September 16, 2014
El excéntrico director Abel Ferrara nos presenta esta pieza en la que una pareja (Willem Dafoe y Shanyn Leigh) se enfrentan al fin del mundo. Esta no es una cinta de acción ("2012") o una obra sobre la depresión existencial ("Melancholia"). "4:44 Last Day On Earth" intenta mostrarnos como dos personas normales, con sus cualidades y defectos, se enfrentan al absurdo de la muerte inminente.
August 16, 2014
It got exclusively bad reviews.
July 17, 2014
July 1, 2014
an Al Gore, ManBearPig lullaby.