• R, 1 hr. 53 min.
  • IFC First Take

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days Reviews

Sam B
½ September 17, 2013
A startlingly realistic and painfully minimalistic Romanian film that succeeds at making audiences care just as much about what could be happening in the off-screen world of these characters as what we are shown on-screen.
Daniel P
½ January 28, 2008
A good, realistic movie that, for my money, is a bit over-rated, and one that takes a long time to get you into the story. It's clinical for the first half-hour or more, but eventually, the stakes do rise, and through one gut-wrenchingly long dinner scene, you start to feel the urgency of the whole affair: Gabi needs an abortion, and no one can find out, no matter what it takes. Romanian neo-realism, exactly as advertised, sarcastically included in what director Mungiu calls his Tales of the Golden Age, documenting life under Ceaucescu's regime. I'm excited to see more from him, I think he's just ramping up to the global stage.
Anthony L
May 4, 2011
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 days really reels you in with it's hypnotic voyeurism. It's brutal realism is uncomfortable viewing at times but is utterly captivating throughout. The long takes only emphasises how great the acting is, particularly from Anamaria Marinca in the lead role. The hotel scene is uncompromising, stunning and cinema at it's best. Cristian Mungiu is a director to look out for, just as he gets you used to being a fly on the wall he rolls up a newspaper and smacks you round the head with it, in what is now one of my favourite endings to a movie ever. Brilliant cinema.
Dan S
½ March 4, 2011
A visceral, unrelentingly grim tale concerning an intense friendship between two roommates and how one of them (Laura Vasiliu) coaxes the other (Anamaria Marinca) into helping her get an illegal abortion in 1980's Romania. This is one of the 00's finer pictures, thanks to impeccable acting and a rough, incredibly realistic look at the seedy underground of Europe. This is a film not so much concentrated on the moral issue of abortion, for which I found to be a nice surprise, but instead it is more focused on friendship and how far one is willing to go for one's best friend. The last shot of this movie features one of the more haunting gazes I can recall in a movie. It is never easy to watch, but it is certainly informative and truly unforgettable.
familiar s
½ December 8, 2009
Defines the height of idiocy...
Leigh R
½ October 6, 2008
Disturbing... Wow, the lengths that people took is insane. I'm telling you that this really had a true friendship reality to it.
Emile T
January 19, 2008
A very important film, well-done and greatly acted.

I still didn't like it that much.
The story could have been told in an hour, and then I wouldn't have been looking at my watch every 5 minutes.

I can't understand why everyone's screaming how this movie is great. It surely is a film to watch, but except some key scenes, it bored me to death.
Lady D
August 27, 2007
A controversial and interesting topic, which unfortunately is incredibly drawn out. It's very well acted and had the content been squeezed down every so slightly, this could have made a brilliant short film.
Tim S
November 21, 2008
Great film. Contains one of the most unnerving scenes I have seen in recent memory. I am a sucker for long takes and this is chock full of them. It builds suspense and atmosphere that works amazingly well here. The lead actress and the guy who plays the doctor are astounding. Again, there is a shot in this film that is hard to shake off, however you feel about the abortion movie. American films should take note of how to handle a "controversial" issue and really get some sense of the oppressive life that some people have to lead.
arashxak arashxak
½ July 29, 2008
Cold & bitter &...overrated
Ross C
½ July 2, 2008
Two students in communist Romania during the '80s seek out an illegal abortion. Despite a slow start this film imparts a very powerful message when it comes to the crux.
Luke B
May 29, 2008
A difficult subject is dealt with in a bleak, uncompromising but stylistically fantastic film. The direction is beautifully restrained, mostly allowing for the actors to work in their confined spaces. The long takes help only to enhance the grim reality of the film keeping the focus on the two girls. Substance over style is the best way to describe this film, no quick jarring editing, no erreatic camera work. Great performances keep the attention during the long dialogue scenes and the film never attempts to sucker the audience in with needless twists or contrivances. The relationship between the girls, and even the manner of Mr. Bebe ignite characters that are easy to imagine outside the context of the film. They are real people, their dialogue is real as are their actions. Simple, effective and damn stunning cinema.
Jennifer X
October 24, 2007
Wow, that girl is a killer bitch. THE underrated movie of the year and easily the most evocative. The story is deceptively simple but the editing and camerawork keep the tension going in a somehow cerebral way. Worth watching again and then some.
gor41 gor41
February 22, 2008
Harrowing, gritty portrayal of the horrors of obtaining an illegal abortion in '80s Romania. Powerful argument for legalizing abortion with a standout performance from Marinca. Makes 'Vera Drake' seem quaint.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn LorenzoVonMatterhorn
March 22, 2008
If you need a more shocking documentary than the ones on Discovery, National Geographic or Reality, try out this movie. I guarantee you will get more than you have bargained for. I simply watched the movie out of curiosity and I was profoundly shocked by the story. Maybe you are shocked because you know it is not a story, but because you know that these things really happened. Mungiu really nailed it down. I would even dare say that if you liked "Lost in Translation" you would definitely like this one.

I'm not a fan of Romanian movies but this one grabbed me.

A must see foreign movie.
El Z. El Z.
July 28, 2012
An excellent and gripping film. A must see. The actors make this film great. Some of the lengthy takes are wonderful and creative. An important film... a social commentary.