• R, 1 hr. 53 min.

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days Reviews

March 29, 2014
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days. Hardcore dark drama. Loved loved loved the camerawork. Just incredible and emotionally torturous. 9/10
March 16, 2014
disturbing in so many ways, brilliant executed
March 2, 2014
I could not sleep last night and watched it again.. after a few years it is still extremely powerful & brilliant
January 30, 2014
The first half was good, then the second half absolutely bored me. It's also tough to feel for the characters when they act pretty dumb.
January 14, 2014
Although it is extremely raw, real and dark; that is also the reason it should be watched. These films are the reason films began in the first place. These are films about life, and the hardships we face. Especially in countries like this, where ev...read moreen trying to book a hotel room is nearly impossible. I think we all need to just put aside our opinions on abortions, as most of them are superficial anyway...and just see the film for what it is: truth.
January 21, 2008
A lulz filled romp about pregnancy...wait...shit, that was Knocked Up...never mind. This is great in the exact opposite way.
December 11, 2013
incredibly ruthless, bleak, and emotionally taxing and seriously one of the best movies you'll ever see. the glacial pace works in its favor because every moment is so intense and watchable that a 20 minute scene with a static camera seems shorter than it actually is. actually pretty relieved that it's every bit as good as i remembered it six years ago.
filmlover1994
June 20, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 20, 2013
Set in 1987 in Communist Romania, two university friends - Otilia and Gabriela - take the difficult decision of arranging a clandestine and illegal abortion for Gabriela at a hotel. They have to contend with keeping the abortion a secret and raising enough funds to pay off the doctor that agrees to help them but at a big price. At the outset the two women are close but as the story unfolds, their friendship is put under increasing strain, as is Otilia's own relationship with her boyfriend. Carefully paced, well acted and very gritty, this one is well worth consideration despite the difficult subject matter.
Olivier L.
November 16, 2013
I loved this movie the same way I did with Hunger and Dancer In The Dark. It was able to find beauty in ugliness, wonderful performances and I loved every long shot this had. Thought provocking and expertly directed, this deserves five stars and the Palme D'Or.
David M.
November 4, 2013
Its brutal, raw direction makes it an unforgettable experience. A masterpiece that has no fear in showing us the consequences of illegal abortions and the slums of Romanian society.
November 2, 2013
The best film of the 2000s. Hands down.
October 21, 2013
Superb drama set in Ceausescu-era Romania about a young woman and her female friend's attempts to arrange an illegal abortion. It takes a little while to get going but once it does it is as gripping and tense as any movie you are likely to see. Fantastic performances all round and a deeply intense brooding atmosphere pervades throughout.
October 6, 2013
tough, realistic just reminded me Dardenne. Without music, without exaggeration pure naturalism.
Sam B

September 17, 2013
A startlingly realistic and painfully minimalistic Romanian film that succeeds at making audiences care just as much about what could be happening in the off-screen world of these characters as what we are shown on-screen.
June 12, 2012
One Of My Best Ever .... Cristian Mungiu Is Perfect .... Really Icon Picture .
August 14, 2013
This one is not for everyone. The whole movie surrounds the subject of abortion and while the situation surrounding it makes a compelling film, it doesn't sit very well with you in the end. The acting was very good by Anamaria Marinca and Laura Vasiliu. Definitely worth it to watch.
Estebueno
July 31, 2013
"Once we start, there's no turning back."

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is a Romanian film directed by Cristian Mungiu which won the Palm D'Or in the Cannes Film Festival in 2007 confirming the resurgence of the New Wave of Romanian Cinema. Other Romanian films that have been a part of this movement include 12:08 East of Bucharest, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, and Tales from the Golden Age. I'm on the minority here when I say that I didn't enjoy this film because the film has won several important awards and has been considered a masterpiece by most critics. As much as I wanted to enjoy this film, I have to be honest and say I felt it was a dull and boring movie. I tend to enjoy these character driven dramas, but I really never felt connected with the characters here and never felt the suspense that most people felt when they watched this. There were a few enjoyable moments and some strong performances, but the plot was simple and I never was drawn into the story. Despite the great camera work and the excellent craft, I never was attracted to this film or cared for the resolution. I'm sure it depicts perfectly the era when Romania was under Ceausescu's communist regime, but having seen so many foreign films focusing on social issues I didn't think there was anything special that stood out here, but I'm probably wrong because everyone else seemed to have loved this film.

The film takes place during the final years of Ceausescu's communist regime in Rumania and it centers on a college student named Otilia (Anamaria Marinca) as she begins to make plans in order to help her roommate, Gabita (Laura Vasliu), have an abortion. We don't really find out about the abortion until 30 minutes into the film, but the trailers take away the suspense. The communist regime doesn't allow birth control nor abortion, so they have to do things quietly and secretly. Otilia arranges to book a reservation at a hotel and picks up a doctor who has offered his service, although it won't be free and it will cost them a little more than money. His name is Bebe (Vlad Ivanov) and he takes advantage of Gabita's desperation to have the abortion and her friend's willingness to help. Everything has to be done quietly in the hotel room because if they are caught they can end up in jail, but Otilia also has to deal with her boyfriend Adi (Alex Potocean) as she has promised to visit him for his mom's birthday. There are a lot of things at stake here, but Otilia is determined to help out her friend.

One of the main issues I had with the film was that I never believed the friendship between Otilia and Gabita was strong enough for her to go through such extreme measures in order to help her. They seemed pretty distant and I never understood why she was willing to help. I have my theories, but the film is purposefully ambiguous. It is slow paced and nothing really happens. I don't have an issue with this because in films like A Separation it still worked for me because I connected with the characters. Mungiu portrays the era really well and never takes sides on the pro abortion or pro life issue, rather focusing on the dangers of the oppressive regime. It is a very realistic and dark film and Marinca gives a strong performance as the lead character. The best part of the film however was the scene where Ivanov's character manipulates the girls in the hotel room. He was great in that scene. I'm disappointed that I never got to appreciate the film as much as everyone else did, but there is no denying that Mungiu directed a memorable film.
July 25, 2013
4 mois, 3 semaines et 2 jours nous plonge dans la Roumanie des années 80..... L'histoire de cet avortement clandestin est captivante et totalement brillante. L'intrigue fonctionne de façon chirurgicale et m'a "scotché" à mon divan............ Du grand cinéma.