Awards Tour: Independent Film Spirit Winners List

Precious wins big

The most prestigious awards for independent film have just been announced! With days to go before the Oscars, Precious took home the night's biggest honors, along with fellow Oscar nominees Woody Harrelson, Jeff Bridges, and An Education. See the full winners list below!

Best Feature

Mother
93%

The maid
The Maid
93%

Best Screenplay Best First Screenplay
The Messenger (90%) Cold Souls (75%)
The Last Station (69%) Crazy Heart (93%)
The Vicious Kind (78%) Amreeka (87%)
Adventureland (88%) Precious (98%)
(500) Days of Summer (86%) A Single Man (85%)
Best Female Lead Best Male Lead
Maria Bello for Downloading Nancy (18%) Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart (93%)
Helen Mirren for The Last Station (69%) Colin Firth for A Single Man (85%)
Gwyneth Paltrow for Two Lovers (83%) Joseph Gordon Levitt for (500) Days of Summer (86%)
Gabby Sidibe for Precious (98%) Souleymane Sy Savane for Goodbye Solo (94%)
Nisreen Faour for Amreeka (87%) Adam Scott for The Vicious Kind (78%)
Best Supporting Female Best Supporting Male
Dina Korzun for Cold Souls (75%) Jemaine Clement for Gentlemen Broncos (16%)
Mo'Nique for Precious (98%) Woody Harrelson for The Messenger (90%)
Samantha Morton for The Messenger (90%) Christian McKay for Me and Orson Welles (83%)
Natalie Press for Fifty Dead Men Walking (86%) Ramon McKinnon for That Evening Sun (72%)
Mia Wasikowska for That Evening Sun (72%) Christopher Plummer for The Last Station (69%)

Best Cinematography John Cassavetes Award
A Serious Man (87%) Big Fan (88%)
Sin Nombre (88%) Humpday (78%)
Treeless Mountain (86%) -   The New Year Parade
Cold Souls (75%) Treeless Mountain (86%)
Bad Lieutenant (85%) -   Zero Bridge

Want your chance to make movie awards history?
Participate in our 2009 Community Golden Tomato award
!

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

It's nice to see "500 Days of Summer" qualified for three of those categories.

Dec 1 - 03:01 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Of course PRECIOUS is there . . .
they're dammed if they select PRECIOUS
and they're dammed if they don't select PRECIOUS . . .

I really don't like the stereotypical "aura" of PRECIOUS.

I want to see some movies with blacks pounding their way through law school.

or black boxing champions.
or black inventors.

the black-ghetto movies are annoying and totally mis-represent black people in america.

I'm black, three generations ago it was illegal for us to read but people Broke the law to teach us to read.

My ancestors worked The Underground Railroad in READING, PA

there ARE NO "inde-films" about "positive blacks" at all.

INDE-filmmakers are more prejeduced than HOLLYWOOD filmmakers.

INDE-filmmakers bamboozle themselves into believing they are not racist by making stereotypical films about stereotypical black people.

PRECIOUS is a purest example of racist film--it reinforces stereotypical, prejudiced ideologies held by "white people"

Dec 1 - 03:13 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Shut up Gordon, the most racist people I've ever met in my life were all black(sounds racist I know, but in my life it is the truth). Whites have mostly moved on but blacks can't let the past go, as they fill the prisons with their crimes. There are lots of insperational movies about blacks, as far as independent films go the vast majority are not happy films no matter who the subjects are. Whatever (500) Days is still my favorite film that I have seen this year, so I am very happy to see it here. Lots of good sounding noms, just wish more of these films would hurry up and come to my city.

Dec 2 - 06:43 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

My last name is the name of one of the months of the year, Mr Unbreakable Samurai and my black family has its roots firmly entrenched in South Africa. So excuse me if blacks like myself absolutely refuse to forget our forefathers and their struggles. I will always carry with me a reminder of my family's past and I hope to God that neither I or anyone like me will ever forget our history. Btw I am not in a prison, I work in a hospital trying to help and save ignorant idiots like yourself everyday. Unfortunately.

Dec 2 - 11:25 PM

Seth T.

Seth Thomas

yea 500 days of summer was fantastic.

Dec 2 - 08:12 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Dec 2 - 11:25 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

If you study history at some point every race has gone through horrible things, some just more recent than others. Slaving would not been even slightly as large as it was if not for all the Africans that were capturing and selling each other to the slavers. I have many black friends and I love them, I just get sick of all the bitching all the time like by Gordon. No I do not want it to be forgotten or you to forget it but it needs to not be relied on so much. I'm sorry I did not mean to upset you BLaCKWoLF2009.

Dec 3 - 09:01 PM

Jesus M.

Jesus Madrigal

Unbreakable Samurai, judging by the last sentence of your last comment that you aren't some rabid racist, but someone who just has some racist notions that you are not aware of. First off, in of your comments you stated that blacks are the most racist that you know, but in that same sentence, you mention how they "fill up the prisons with their crimes." You state how whites have "moved on" and that it is black people who just keep playing the race card that keep racism alive. Has it ever occurred to you, why blacks are the ones who fill up the prisons? Why they are overrepresented in the prison system but underrepresented in the college system? I suggest you do some reading on the modern form of racism, the subtle form that it now exists in.

But what caught my attention was that you chastised Blackwolfe for now "studying" history while the proceeding to state a historical inaccuracy. You need to understand that Africa is not a single homogeneous state, but a vast continent with a myriad of different cultures and civilizations. To the African slave dealers, they were not selling their "own" they were selling Africans that belonged to rival tribes, or from distant tribes in the west of Africa. This idea of pan-African identity did not come until much later and it developed in the U.S, not Africa.

Feb 13 - 05:53 PM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Holy **** Jesus M. I have to stop you there before you start filling people's heads with ridiculous notions about 'modern day racism.' The fact that blacks are overrepresented in jails and underrepresented in jails has a purely sociological reason. In short, most crime occurs in inner cities. Blacks make up the majority of the population in inner cities. Inner city values are placed much less on education and schooling (even putting down people who are smart and will most likely be successful). An emphasis on a lifestyle of making money through crime is very present.

And when it comes down to slavery, blacks were indeed selling their own kind to whites, don't try to flip flop minor points that unbreakable_samurai was making.

I do somewhat agree with unbreakable_samurai, I tend to see blacks on average as the most racist people out there. I feel like I also have to clarify that I have some black friends and one very close friend who is black, so don't even think about trying to blast me as a racist, or someone who 'has racial tendencies but doesn't know it,' whatever the hell the is supposed to mean.

By the way, my good friend who is black is one of the realest black guys I know, and doesn't fall into any of those negative stereotypes, even tho he grew up in a typical inner city area. He even recognizes how silly some black people can be about certain issues.

As a side note... Jeff Bridges and Mo'Nique seem to be certain locks for the Oscars, which I'm sure we'll see on Sunday.

Mar 6 - 10:32 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Sorry, edit...

'overrepresented in jails and underrepresented in COLLEGES...'

Mar 6 - 10:33 AM

Jesus M.

Jesus Madrigal

Feb 13 - 05:53 PM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Mar 6 - 10:32 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Sorry, edit...

'overrepresented in jails and underrepresented in COLLEGES...'

Mar 6 - 10:33 AM

Kopenhaver

Jeff May

I didn't realize British movies are considered foreign.

Mar 6 - 02:08 AM

TheArshMan

arshi rai

I'm glad that Precious Won, as it was my favorite of the 5 films nominated for BP, but i woulnt've minded seeing Sin Nombre win, i thought it was great as well.

Mar 6 - 02:50 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

This was Precious' chance to shine. Avatar probably did more damage to its Oscar chances than THL did. I'm pretty happy with most of the results here. Glad to see 500 Days finally got a major screenplay award and nice to see Woody get his day in the sun (although I can't help but feel for Plummer, who after 56 years in the business is just now getting award recognitions).

On an amusing note, I'm glad Anvil bested Food Inc for Documentary. That's just the 80s music fan in me talking.

Mar 6 - 09:11 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Mar 6 - 10:32 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Sorry, edit...

'overrepresented in jails and underrepresented in COLLEGES...'

Mar 6 - 10:33 AM

King Thor

Chris Kalmin

Sorry, edit...

'overrepresented in jails and underrepresented in COLLEGES...'

Mar 6 - 10:33 AM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

Wow, the amount of sheer ignorance on display here is mindblowing(King Thor/Samuri). If you guys are the alternative, it's no wonder that black people cling to the negative stereotypes you so narrow mindedly attribute to them. For all this talk of 'sociological factors' it obviously never occured to you how years of oppression have contributed to the negative cycle that is apparent in the African American culture.

The first black actor ever allowed to be given billing in a film went by the name of 'Stepin Fetchit'(Step and Fetch it). He was only allowed this courtesy because he catered to the negative stereotypes attributed to the african american culture, that the White culture was all to eager to embrace. The same white culture that also embraces the negative influence of gangster rap and so on. You guys remind me of a white Stepin Fetchit.

Mar 6 - 02:20 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You are yourself displaying ignorance too.

Some blacks are racists some are not.

Some whites are racists some are not.

We are beyond Stepin Fetchit bay a few decades.

Mar 7 - 01:51 PM

lkufieuiu i.

lkufieuiu iuieuiui

vdsgrerger

Mar 6 - 06:53 PM

lkufieuiu i.

lkufieuiu iuieuiui

vdsgrerger

Mar 6 - 06:55 PM

jaycr

Jay Saenz

I haven't seen precious, i know the critics love it, but i have 500 days of summer closer to my heart, i loved this movie!!! Regarding precious, i will sound like real MF to many but the story of a poor, ugly, fat, pregnant black adolescent is not appealing to me. Sounds like she had the worst of everything.
I have enough with my own issues to pay and feel bad for someone who had it worst than me.

Mar 7 - 01:47 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You are yourself displaying ignorance too.

Some blacks are racists some are not.

Some whites are racists some are not.

We are beyond Stepin Fetchit bay a few decades.

Mar 7 - 01:51 PM

jessicaalba s.

jessicaalba smith

I do not believe there is a formal list.This ALSO depends upon your performance during the Tour so there are no guarantees. In other words, usually servicemembers are awarded ONE "merit" based award such as a Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal and so forth. It is not uncommon for almost everyone to be awarded a merit medal.

Mar 7 - 09:26 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

If I haven't said it once I've said it a hundred times:

Where's "Moon"?

Mar 8 - 05:21 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

The Minorities will always get "Blindsided" in Hollywood, because Hollywood wants to empathize with the Majorities. Go figure.

I am NOT rascist. Quite the opposite, I think rascism is stupid and shows a lack of wisdow and/or IQ. But here goes:

Compelling Drama = Movie-of-Interest

Inner City = Black People = Trials Tribulations & Struggles = Compelling Drama

That's the Hollywood formula. It is what it is.

And btw, there was in fact a movie about a black boxing champion ("Ali", with Will Smith). And there was in fact a movie about a black dude pounding his way though law school ("Soul Man", with C. Thomas Howell).

*wink*

Mar 8 - 05:59 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer