500 Days of Summer Reviews

½ July 10, 2010
Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zoey Deschanel do a wonderful job in this off beat completely different romantic comedy. One thats strikes more to the reality of the complicated way love works than many others in the genre.
TheDudeLebowski65
May 12, 2014
I usually hate romantic comedies for the sheer fact that they always use the same, recycled ideas over and over again, despite changing the storyline slightly and changing the title. I was pleasantly surprised by 500 Days of Summer, I didn't expect much from the film, and I really thought it was going to be a clichéd rom com; however I was surprised that though it had traditional genre elements, it completely reinvented the style, and it took a very different route than your traditional genre film. The story is very good, as well as the acting and I enjoyed the chemistry of the two lead actors, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, whom are well suited for the parts they play. The vibe of the film is different, refreshing and it makes for one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen. This was a pleasant surprise and I thought it was a highly entertaining picture from start to finish, and it's one of the few genre films where we the ideas just connect with the viewer. For me, what really stood out for me were the two lead performances, which I thought were terrific and the direction by director Marc Webb keeps you involved from start to finish. Sure, there could have been some slight improvement here and there, but overall this is a superbly well crafted picture that definitely brings a breath of fresh air to the romantic comedy genre. Add to that a few dramatic elements, and you have a movie that is thoroughly engaging and above all worth seeing for viewers that are skeptical about these sorts of films. 500 Days of Summer is an accomplished film, one that is well acted and directed and it's a thoroughly engaging picture from start to finish.
½ August 22, 2009
Very sweet and romantic, but perhaps my viewing was soured because I was too caught up in comparing it to my play. Both have non-linear structures, but I have to wonder what role it plays in this movie. It's novelty without a real purpose. Both are break-up stories, but this movie has to succumb to the Hollywood happy ending. Both have (and this really freaked me out when I read it in a preview) scenes showing a situation and its imagined alternative, but the message is different because the characters don't change the trajectories; the "narrator" merely narrates. Perhaps I'm just bitter because "(500) Days of Summer" got the jump on Generation Y's "Annie Hall." Nevertheless, it's a charming romp with some hilariously quirky bits: the musical in the park, playing house in Ikea.

Zooey Deschanel has of course cultivated a very specific brand - one that is hipster, faux nerdy, and that most heinous of portmanteaux, "adorkable" - which I find disingenuous and played out. She's just the sophisticated naif form of MPDG, being overly self-deprecating but also being more put-together than any real "dork." Deschanel is obviously a beautiful woman, and not that beautiful women can't be dorky, but her distinctive look is so often central to her characters' ethos and likability. I long for the naturally strawberry blonde Zooey from "The New Guy" days who was a realer representation of awkward, but the New Girl is all eyes and bangs now to fetishize this hotter, mainstream desire to be awkward.
December 30, 2013
Before he was given big bucks and entrusted with reinventing the franchise of "The Amazing Spider-Man", director Marc Webb cut his directorial teeth on this highly appealing and (un)romantic-comedy. For a debut it's very impressively handled and brings a fresh approach to the tired old boy-meets-girl formula.

Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) could be an architect but finds himself working for a greeting card company in New Jersey. It's here that he meets Summer (Zooey Deschanel) and believes she could be the girl of his dreams. Summer isn't interested in having a boyfriend but they soon become an item regardless. However, things don't quite work out the way Tom planned as he recounts the 500 days that led to their break-up and where it all went wrong.

I have to take this moment to remind people never to judge a film by it's poster. I'm sure many of you don't make this mistake very often but Marc Webb's "(500) Days of Summer" is a film that fell prey to my judgement purely by it's poster and it exuding the appearance of just another romantic-comedy. Categorically, I avoid these types of films. I even overlooked the fact that it had two exceptionally talented leads in Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Much to my surprise then, that within minutes of the film starting I was informed by the narration that "This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story". I was hooked. From the offset I admired the film's chutzpah and my perseverance and attention were greatly rewarded. This narration wasn't entirely true as it is still a love story but it's done out with the realms of convention and that "love story" really only concerns one half of the relationship. Where the film finds it's appeal is in it's non-linear structure and it's ability to effortlessly flit back and forth in time, giving you an inside look at the whole anatomy of a relationship. In doing so, it provides a fabulous vehicle for Gordon-Levitt to show a wide range of emotions; one minute he's elated and dancing through the streets, the next he miserable and buying twinky's and Jack Daniels for breakfast. It's this disjointed approach that brings a stylish originality and quirky, off-beat sense of humour that's impossible to resist.

With a sharp script, two very appealing central performances, a well judged balance of emotions and
excellent and well placed song choices, there's not much more you can ask for when it comes to this genre. I'm hoping that with the likes of this, "Ruby Sparks" and "Silver Linings Playbook" that the rom-com is taking itself a little more seriously now. These films have so much originality that they could spare some to the dross that mainly features Jennifer Aniston or Kate Hudson.

Mark Walker
½ October 6, 2012
Romantic comedies are largely dependent on two things: Sharp writing and electrifyingly realistic performances from the lead actors. "(500) Days of Summer" delivers with flying colors with a style that is both refreshing and inventive.

Is it Joseph Gordon Levitt season for me or what? "Looper", "Premium Rush", "The Dark Knight Rises", and now (500). For the most part, I've been one of the few that has consistently been cautious about the growing fame of Levitt. And for the most part, all of his roles in previous films have been nothing more but adequate on my part. However, in (500), he manages to be effective and convincing largely due to a palpable chemistry with his counterpart: Zooey Deschanel. The two play off each other realistically and are convincing. As the two play "kyootsie-time" each other, the dialogue the banter with each other is both engaging and humorous enough to let the movie's pacing flow along smoothly. And because of these two aspects, from the opening moments to the end of the second act, "(500) Days of Summer" is a wonderful time. But what can you expect if you're gonna spend 500 days with summer? By the time the third act begins, the chemistry between the lead stars no longer evolves in a film that is largely slim on narrative but dependent on character development. Furthermore, the film's pacing begins to chug to a halt and leaving audiences, not particularly bored, but waiting patiently.

Nevertheless, (500) is an entertaining romantic comedy that marinates the audience with a palpable chemistry. Pacing issues, unfortunately, get in the way from this becoming a great romantic comedy. Still, pack up your beach umbrellas, swim suits, and your smores for "(500) Days of Summer"; it's an entertaining time that is surely not to disappoint.
September 15, 2009
''This is not a love story , this is a story about love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!''
½ July 29, 2009
I expected something a lot more pretentious than I got, which was a pleasant surprise. There's a line in this film that blows me away, when Joseph Gordon-Levitt finally says to Zooey Deschanel, "You just do whatever you want, don't you?" A great story about heartbreak, about dating that absolutely impossible woman, and though it might not be the kindest to women in general, it keeps its anger targeted at only the one woman. I was particularly impresssed, again, by Gordon-Levitt, and Deschanel - who's hard to imagine outside of the "Bein' Quirky" parody of her on SNL, anymore - managed to make the "quirky" girl less loveable than usual. A nice surprise - engaging, affecting, and often funny, with a scrambled chronology that didn't seem so cheap a gimmick as it usually does and a bunch of shout-outs to diverse and classic film styles, from 40s musicals to Bergman's Seventh Seal to A Scanner Darkly, and more. Good flick, you should see it.
½ January 28, 2012
The most realistic romantic comedy movie ever made.
½ May 1, 2012
Smart, funny and brilliant, it definitely left a taste in my mouth. If what to do with it's really tempting, brave, thoughtful ending and possible ramifications with my own, I do not know for now, but indeed it is one film I will probably remember somewhere again throughout the course of my life, and remember how endearing this movie was, and will most likely want to watch this movie all over again.
½ September 28, 2011
"Narrator: 'You should know upfront, this is not a love story.' And that's when I knew I needed backup," my sister said to me as she pulled me into our theatrette to watch 500 Days of Summer with her. It's a mature reminder of how fragile, one-sided, temperamental and all-consuming love can be, and also just a really funny and bittersweet film. Would be great for getting over a breakup.

--- SPOILER ---
It is a movie with sort of a plot twist, in the form of a shift in perspective. From Tom's POV, he is madly in love with Summer and sees every event that happens in their courtship (from liking the same indie band to her sharing her secrets with him) as a sign. Destiny. How they were meant to be together. Those happy memories are coloured golden by his romantic lens on their time together. But as soon as the illusion is shattered, the audience realizes, looking back, that Summer never shared his feelings of this being a grandiose, earth-shaking love. She never made any sort of commitment to him. It's heartbreaking but the movie forces you to not look away as he crumbles.

I love that the film ends on a note of reborn hope, that Tom will someday shed all his fantasies about this first, unforgettable love and finally move on to someone who will reciprocate everything he has to offer.
paul o.
December 29, 2011
This film describes my life and the lives of ALL hopeless romantics. The reality of the film is inescapable and also heartbreaking. I love it because it not only brings tears to my eyes every time I'm reminded of my own past "Summer Finns'" but also because there are lots of fish in the sea and life goes on. (500) Days Of Summer is not a comedy or a drama, its life in an hour and a half.
January 27, 2010
I thought this film was going to be a good movie, but this was (in one word) a masterpiece! Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel have some of the best on-screen chemistry I have ever seen. When Tom meets summer his life begins to changes as he falls in love with her, but the story is only telling us that 500 days will be the end of the relationship. With heartfelt, funny, and charming moments, every scene in this film is memorable, especially the random dance number that I will never forget. "500 Days of Summer" proves that romantic fairytales are not only in the movies, and that this genre still has some gas to keep it going. This is a brilliant film that I can recommend to everyone!
Daniel Mumby
November 3, 2011
As a film enthusiast you're always on the lookout for innovation in films - not specifically for films which move the goalposts and redefine our notions of cinema, but for those which take something well-worn and familiar and challenge it for a new audience. With this in mind, there is nothing that can get one's gander up more than a film which claims or thinks that it is being inventive, when in fact the merest glance beneath its surface shows that it is nothing of the sort.

(500) Days of Summer comes at you with claims of being a genuine postmodern love story, an Annie Hall for the Twitter generation, or a rom-com for people who genuinely hate rom-coms. While it may not have the putridly glossy veneer of Sex and the City, the film ultimately shoots itself in the foot by being too kooky for its own good, and too structurally self-conscious to feel genuine. While there are still ideas and moments which sparkle, for the most part it feels disappointingly hollow.

There's no denying that the makers of (500) Days of Summer had their hearts in the right place when setting out. In an age where cinema is increasingly and ever more cynically geared to the interests of teenage boys, romantic comedies or dramas with believable female protagonists are harder and harder to come by. The majority of contemporary romantic comedies are either predictable rehashes of stuff from the 1980s and 1990s, or vacuous vessels for product placement, offering women supposed material satisfaction in place of some more permanent form of happiness or self-esteem.

Marc Webb's film is at its strongest when it attempts to puncture that self-contained, pre-packaged form of contentment. Joseph Gordon-Levitt writes greetings cards for a living, and struggles to remain optimistic or positive about the prospect of love in generalr. In one of the film's best scenes, he stands up in the middle of a meeting and lets rip about how hollow and meaningless love and happiness have become. Our culture has become so orientated around 'events', seeing emotion as something to be conveyed through commerce, that we are losing our ability to genuinely feel affection or understand each other.

Somewhere within (500) Days of Summer, there is an edgier, more adventurous film which wants to use this premise to completely deconstruct the modern notion of love and romance. There is the potential within this material for something as scabrous and poisonous as Heathers, a ferociously funny film which ripped into the John Hughes view of high school by making you both squirm and howl with laughter. But try as he might, Webb can't seem to bring this desire to the surface for more than a few moments at a time. For all its claims of being left-field, indie-spirited and unconventional, (500) Days of Summer is structurally all too similar to the films whose clichés it claims to subvert.

The single biggest problem with the film is that its structure of shuffled timeframes doesn't work. The film occupies the same kind of ground as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, trying to depict or capture the seemingly random way in which memory works within the context of a failed romantic relationship. But where Michel Gondry used the shuffled structure with great intelligence, confounding our expectations and getting us to question our own memories, Marc Webb treats it as a gimmick, as little more than a device to distract from the conventional elements of the story.

This lack of confidence in the use of non-linear narrative is shown by the presence of a narrator. Having a narrator in any kind of story gives a feeling of certainty to the direction and outcome of the plot. This is even true of film noir, where an unreliable narrator makes us certain that we should not trust anyone. When you have a film which sells itself on being free-spirited and unpredictable, you don't want any creative element which would suggest otherwise. The narration here is as pointless as the narration in The Big Lebowski; it cheapens the experience by introducing choreography into an atmosphere of spontaneity.

In terms of the central relationship, there isn't a great deal about either Tom or Summer which hasn't been covered in some depth before. Dynamically they're very similar to the main characters in Annie Hall: Joseph Gordon-Levitt may not be as neurotic or self-hating as Woody Allen, but Zoeey Deschanel is frequently as off-the-wall (and as annoying) as Diane Keaton. The idea of the relationship being important despite the fact that boy and girl do not end up together has been handled more conclusively in several other films. I don't recall either Annie Hall or Gregory's Girl having such a clunker of a final scene.

The familiar elements of (500) Days of Summer keep coming to the fore as the film moves forward (and backward). The conversations surrounding musical taste are essentially the same as the arguments in Stephen Frears' High Fidelity, but with an indie gloss on top (in other words, substitute any other band for 'The Smiths' and you're home free). Summer may claim that romance is dead like it's a novel concept, but she is essentially playing the Billy Crystal role in When Harry Met Sally..., being the sceptical side of a relationship which treads on the edge of friendship. There's nothing wrong with making a love story with familiar scenes and plot points, but it helps if the film is happy with admitting this, rather than constantly avoiding the issue so that it can continue claiming to be original.

One of the problems with the indie genre is that it attempts to compensate for the ordinary, often dull nature of its stories with unbridled levels of kookiness. While (500) Days of Summer isn't exactly off the radar, it contains any number of moments which will send the less tolerant among us running for cover. Some of the sillier romantic scenes are funny, like Summer's quip about her high school nickname, or the couple frolicking around in Ikea and remarking that "there's a Japanese family in our bathroom". But Deschanel's impromptu singing and the drunken karaoke scenes which follow are a clear sign of the plot running out of steam. And that's not to mention the completely misjudged musical number, which is closer to High School Musical than Singing in the Rain.

The final, and most surprising, problem is the film's lack of interest in the motivations of its female character. While Tom gets his fair share of backstory about failed relationships, and those of his male workmates for comparison, we get no real indication of what has made Summer who she is, and why she behaves towards men in the way she does. One could argue that this is symptomatic of the genre as a whole, with the film becoming less of a rom-com than a bromance that happens to have girls in. But that does not excuse the lack of intrigue surrounding Summer, for which Zooey Deschanel must take some of the blame. Regardless of how underwritten she is, you cannot make us care about someone by staring doe-eyed into middle distance for two hours.

The other performances in the film are a little more promising. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has proved his action chops in Brick and Inception, and he does the best he can with a role which requires him to be constantly either in a mood or blank-faced wonder. A pre-Kick-Ass Chloe Moretz is thoroughly impressive as Tom's worldly-wise younger sister, with both actor and character having wisdom beyond their years without looking like they are trying to play younger than themselves. And Clark Gregg is convincing as Tom's boss, coming across as creepy and unsettling without going over-the-top.

(500) Days of Summer is a disappointing and deeply overrated addition to the rom-com genre. When stripped of all its hype and kookiness, it is essentially Annie Hall with shuffled timeframes, half the brains and less than half the conviction. Had Marc Webb the guts to risk being unpopular, and deconstruct the notion of modern love head on, it might have been more memorable, distinctive and enjoyable. One hopes that he will do a better job when dealing with Peter Parker.
½ June 9, 2011
500 Days of Yupster.

It's a VERY smooth and good-looking elaboration of "nice-guy" narcissism. The movie valorizes wounded sensitivity and the type of person who thinks s/he deserves to be liked because of WHAT s/he likes. The fanbase will note that it also criticizes the hero... except this is a hero that turns every self-criticism into its own glorious travail, to be savored before one savors the carefree aftermath. The movie is resolutely on this guy's side as it looks through life, hoping all of destiny will bow to his version of romanticism, which remains self-centered but can be fulfilled when he is able to land an artsy chick that looks like a fashion model. The writers didn't learn much from High Fidelity.

There are several good vulgar jokes. Something the movie doesn't explore is that nice-guy narcissism is often a well-developed fantasy of guys who first and foremost want to get laid. Then, they have the chutzpah to want the girl they had sex with to honor them for their good taste! Life is already hard before these guys add in their own problems; and once they do, life becomes downright distracting.

Movies (500) Days of Yupster is somehow taking from: The Lonely Guy, Bottle Rocket, 9 to 5 and a Viagra commercial.
October 30, 2011
A cleverly executed romantic comedy that firmly points out that a cliche could still remarkably amaze the watchers. Its intimate, cheerful and realistic take on life, love and moving on truly worked its way to make this film a total hit, both critical and box office.
October 8, 2011
This is by far the best and most original dramady to come out in the last few years. The first time I saw it, I fell in love and revisiting it a couple years later, it's still just as good. If you haven't seen it(and I'd ask why the hell not?!) the movie is simple, yet complicated. It's about a couple, Tom(Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Summer(Zooey Deschanel), and how their relationship evolves,then devolves, over 500 days. I love the way the story is told using different days in Summer and Tom's relationship going back and forth as it's not told in chronological order. Levitt and Deschanel are both amazing actors, and give their best performances here. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really one of, if not the best young actor working today. He has made some very interesting film choices, and this may seem like a pretty conventional role, but he makes it feel authentic. My favorite thing about the movie though is probably the music. It has a terrific soundtrack(had to download it the day after I watched it the first time). From the Smiths, to Regina Spektor, to Hall and Oates(in the best dance scene ever), each song feels selective to the scene and helps the story immensely. This is Marc Webb's first movie as a director, and he does a fantastic job. This is a great movie that will make u laugh, make you sad, and make you hopeful. A must see for sure.
September 27, 2011
One of the best unexpected movies i've ever seen. Well done: great acting, great cinematography, great everything! This is a movie that could never get old.
August 27, 2011
The film is as much of an emotional rollercoaster as all sorts of relationships tend to be. I loved the soundtrack
August 24, 2011
There are plenty of great reasons I believe '500 Days of Summer' is an almost perfect film, a flawless romantic-comedy, and one of my favorite movies. There is the wonderful offbeat vision of Marc Webb, proving you don't need an abs-money-shot or a sex scene to make a successful romantic comedy. Hell, the movie doesn't even have to run in chronological order. There are the two great leads, who spill charisma, compatibility, and that wonderful indie charm. There is the gorgeous cinematography, which trades off beautiful shots of LA to LA being sketched in a notebook to Deschanel's sparkling eyes to Gordon-Levitt striding across a room in slow motion while rain pounds the windows behind him in the dark. There's the excellent soundtrack, that adds the perfect touch to each scene with songs of hope and heartbreak. There is a brilliant script that portrays all the beautiful and nasty emotions that come with love and the pursuit of it, and also the idea that the protagonist is far from perfect, far from understanding, and far from a hero. However, perhaps the greatest thing about this movie is its complete lack of pretense. This is the real world, and this is a real story, with real characters that display real emotion. This isn't Ashton Kutcher with his shirt off while he falls in love at first sight. This is Gordon-Levitt, one of the genre's most believable characters, as a human being, fraught with flaws, and fraught with misinterpretation about the world. Superbly entertaining, utterly unpretentious, brilliantly honest, beautifully offbeat, and fiendishly original, '500 Days of Summer' may be the best romantic comedy of its decade, and one of the bests of its genre. A pure triumph.
June 18, 2011
You'll be a better person after you watch this.