Total Recall: Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Best Movies

Summary

At the ripe old age of 30, Joseph Gordon-LevittJoseph Gordon-Levitt is already a grizzled Hollywood veteran, having made his film debut nearly 20 years ago in the slobbery family comedy Beethoven. And he's a busy guy, too -- when 50/50 debuts this weekend, it'll mark his ninth trip to theaters in the last two years, with a whopping four more films on tap for 2012. Clearly, the time has come for us to take a look at the critical highlights from Mr. Gordon-Levitt's growing filmography, and you know what that means: It's time for Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

King  S.

King Simba

All the praise it's getting is causing the hate, ironically. Currently, the film is sitting at #11 at IMDB list of highest rated films, the third highest rated film of the last ten years behind only The Dark Knight and Return of the King. Naturally, this will cause it to suffer from a huge amount of backlash, either from those who came in the film with high expectations and felt letdown or those who are offended just by the very thought of a "new" film being listed up there with "untouchable classics"

Sep 29 - 03:32 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Just wait though, in a couple decades Inception will be considered a classic. :)

Sep 29 - 04:09 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

lol I almost forgot about that one...

Sep 29 - 04:08 AM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Sep 29 - 04:09 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

I've got a man-crush on JGL and i don't think i'll ever be ashamed to admit it.

I'll watch any film he's in even if it does look sketchy *coughPremimumRushcough*.

Sep 29 - 04:45 AM

inka s.

inka s

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing he didn't do himself in that hallway scene is when his character slammed onto a door (apparently, the insurance company didn't like him hitting hard things). The rest were all him. And I really, really love that hallway scene. The whole Inception was great, but that was very memorable for me.

Sep 29 - 05:13 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

To each their own, but come on, "awful"? I don't buy it.

Sep 29 - 05:48 AM

Brad A.

Brad Asbury

inception was flippin awsome!

Sep 29 - 11:37 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I had nothing to do with the making of Inception, so my feelings could hardly be hurt by your supposed dislike of it. However, stating that hype killed this movie contradicts anything you're saying. If the movie's success was based on pure hype, it didn't kill it; rather, it propelled it to an $825 million global gross.

Still, I think this is a case of David W being "cool" and going against the grain. Surely there may be things you dislike about it, or you might even dislike it as a whole. But to call it "awful," while offering no reasonal rational, just screams "look at me!" Gee, David W is just wiser than everyone else; he recognizes things that no one else does! You go, David W.

Sep 29 - 06:16 AM

David W.

David West

lol Brad, you're reading way into my comments, I'm not trying to be "cool". One of my roommates is obsessed with Christopher Nolan, so constantly hearing for over 6 months how amazing and groundbreaking this movie is going to be is the hype I'm referring to. I like plenty of mainstream movies I'm not a "cinema" person who just watches independent movies to make myself feel cool. Inception visually looked amazing, I just personally wasn't into the story.

Sep 29 - 08:56 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Inception is not bad, but the casting of Leo was a puzzling one, since everyone amongst the cast were alot shorter than him and be able to run away from gunfire, whereas because Leo was the tall one, not one person still be able to plug one on him is unrealistic. I know people who've never fired a gun in their entire life, but still be able to shoot a tall running target than someone who is smaller!

Sep 30 - 12:59 PM

Metamorphstasis

Mark Metamorphstasis

Shooting a running target beyond 10 feet is quite difficult. But even then, you can't expect realism in INCEPTION lol. I thought Leo's casting was an okay choice, a safe choice.

Oct 1 - 10:20 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

...and unicorns?

Sep 29 - 06:17 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

butterflies and glitter.

Sep 29 - 09:01 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Anyone remember him as DJ's dorky friend on Roseanne?

Sep 29 - 06:18 AM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Haha, that was him! I remember the first time I saw it saying, that's the kid from Angels and the Outfield !!!

Sep 29 - 06:33 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Good call, Swampfox. Except I'd put Leo D at the top of that list.

Sep 29 - 08:30 AM

Metamorphstasis

Mark Metamorphstasis

I wouldn't use the word 'great' which people are flinging around. He's good, maybe very good, but compare him to someone's who is actually great, like Deniro or Pacino or Hopkins - and Levitt's not there yet.

Oct 1 - 10:27 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

'dude can act!

Sep 29 - 08:35 AM

paul o.

paul oh

Everyone should watch mysterious skin! 500 days and brick are really good but mysterious skin takes his acting to the next level!

Sep 29 - 08:47 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

butterflies and glitter.

Sep 29 - 09:01 AM

Italian Stallion

Alexander P

500 days of summer was amazing. The part when Tom looks to see his reflection in the car is a priceless scene (won't spoil what he sees for those who haven't yet seen the movie).

Sep 29 - 09:41 AM

pille

Phil Jacobs

awesome guy.

Sep 29 - 09:49 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

STOP-LOSS . . . totally. . . misdirected aggression. then inward hate (what an amazing psychological rendering of a character)

Stop Loss has two endings in the same movie.

Sep 29 - 10:50 AM

TheGateofTruth

I Am The Vast UNIVERSE I Am The Vast UNIVERSE

Brick is hands down his best film to date!

Sep 29 - 11:25 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

I remember watching the first few minutes of brick and going: "What the . . . . .why is everybody talking like they're in a hard boiled detective movie?" And then, a few more minutes passed and i was like "Wait . . . .is this a hard boiled detective movie?" and pretty soon i was like "Oh My God! This is the most amazing hard boiled detective movie i have ever seen!" Needless to say, my vote for #1 JGL movie is BRICK

Sep 30 - 08:20 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday