Critics Consensus: 50/50 is Certified Fresh

Plus, What's Your Number? is by the numbers, and Dream House and Courageous invite you to guess their Tomatometers.

This week at the movies, we've got a survivor story (50/50, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen), ex excitement (What's Your Number?, starring Anna Faris and Chris Evans), a demonic dwelling (Dream House, starring Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz), and some conflicted cops (Courageous, starring Alex Kendrick and Ken Bevel). What do the critics have to say?

50/50

93%

In a comedy, no subject is completely off limits if the jokes make us laugh - and have the ring of truth. Such is the case with 50/50, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a young man whose cancer diagnosis forces him to reevaluate his life. Along the way, he leans on his friends for support, and finds that often he's helping others work through their feelings as much as he's tending to his own. The critics say you'll laugh and you'll cry through this Certified Fresh comedy, which is touching, heartfelt, occasionally naughty, and often very funny. (Check out Gordon-Levitt's best-reviewed movies here.)

What's Your Number?

23%

Anna Farris is a very funny woman, but critics have long hoped she'd get the lead in a comedy worthy of her talents. The wait continues with What's Your Number?, the story of a single gal who decides to reunite with all her exes to see if any of them are marriage material. The pundits say the film has moments of comic inspiration and some decent performances, but mostly, its script is a middling grab bag of romantic comedy clichés and raunchiness that squanders the offbeat charm of its star.

Dream House

We can't tell you whether Dream House is a prime piece of real estate or a fixer-upper, since it wasn't screened for critics. Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz star as a couple who have just moved into a charming new home; little do they know it was once the site of a harrowing murder, and soon they're bedeviled by spooky goings-on. Put down that copy of Architectural Digest and guess the Tomatometer! (And check out our list of Certified Fresh psychological thrillers here.)

Courageous

30%

Director Alex Kendrick, who also made Fireproof, has a thing for stories about spiritual awakenings among public servants. His latest, Courageous, tells the tale of four police officers who struggle with faith and fatherhood while trying to clean up the streets. Unfortunately, only a few critics have seen it, so you can feel free to guess the Tomatometer for this one too.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

Dakota -Kapodaco- Gordon

Dakota Gordon

What's Your Number? What's MY Number? My number includes seeing 50/50, in theaters, someday.

Sep 29 - 04:47 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Wow, there's a lot of great films opening: 50-50, Take Shelter, My Joy (which is fucken amazing), You Don't Like the Truth and Tucker & Dale (which I've seen a long time ago - it's awesomely funny).

Sep 29 - 04:56 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Now I want to see 50/50. The fall season is getting busier and busier.
I'm guessing 48% for Dream House.

Sep 29 - 05:05 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I could guess Dream House a 20% or 30%.

Sep 29 - 05:07 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I think dream house will have a 30. Courageous will probally get a 22. Not sure if I'll be seeing anything this weekend. Odds are I'll just rent a movie. Now this weekend is definitely wide open. Lion king, Dolphin tale, moneyball, and dream house all have a dencent shot at the top. I'm going to be honest, I don't even have a good guess. I'll say, Dream house, but I wouldn't put money on Anything. I would say 50/50 has a shot, but I think the cancer-comedy set up won't be appealing to most. It should have strong word of mouth. I think what's your number and courageous will do better then expected, but probally not enough to stand a chance at the top.

Sep 29 - 05:16 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Dream House is probably 28% while Courageous will get a 21%.

50/50 looks like it going to be possibly one of my favorite films of the year. If this film had Zooey Deschanel, then it would be the ultimate hipster film of the year man.

Sep 29 - 05:24 PM

Sean N.

Sean Nasuti

Well, Craig, Weisz, and Sheridan didn't like how the film turned out so I'm guessing it's not going to land a 'Fresh' rating, but I'll be fair and say 30-50. To be exact, maybe 38%

Sep 29 - 05:35 PM

Abraham Smith

Tyler Lublin

i bet 32 percent for courageous and 16 percent for dream house

Sep 29 - 05:37 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Dream House" looks staler than "Shining Shutter Island". "Courageous" looks hilarious, maybe even funnier than the "Happening"! I'll probably just download it so I can watch it naked. "My Joy", "Take Shelter", and "Tucker and Dale" all look great, sincerely.

Sep 29 - 05:47 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Glad 50/50 is getting great buzz, I'll probably catch some time over the next few weeks.

I like Anna Farris a lot, and wish she would get some good movies that match her charm and talent.

The trailers (the theater ones, not the tv spots) for Dream House had me hoping it would be something more than just a cliched spook fest, but not screening for critics has killed most hope of that.

I am hoping Tucker and Dale plays somewhere near me soon, I would really like a good spoof of horror flicks.

Sep 29 - 05:58 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I really liked Faris on Just Friends and Entourage, but she needs to stop picking stupid characters. It's not funny anymore.

Sep 29 - 06:38 PM

BLBnow

Brad Barfoot

Cmon, Dont tell me your not looking forward to the next "Scary Movie"

Sep 29 - 08:31 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Oh, and 38% for Courageous, and 31% for Dream House.

Sep 29 - 06:00 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Happy for 50/50's fresh score but Seth Rogen is 150% unfunny to me and him ALONE ruins me seeing Joseph Gordon-Levitt in another most likely good performance. This week is a skipper. Haven't seen Drive or Moneyball yet, maybe I can now.

Oh, and Dream House will be 26%

Sep 29 - 06:02 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Dream House will be a 34%

Sep 29 - 06:37 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I'm looking forward to seeing 50/50.

What's Your Number (along with the work Anna's had done on her face) looks horrible.

Not at all surprised about Dream House.

I guess Courageous went with the mentality "only God can judge me".

I want to see Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Like, right now.

Sep 29 - 06:37 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Technically, you should have already seen it.
Tucker And Dale Vs Evil came out Over A Year Ago (in 2010) and is available on TPB dot com as we speak; you can have it in an hour. (if Tucker and Dale came-out in 2010, then why are people claiming its new)

Sep 29 - 06:49 PM

BLBnow

Brad Barfoot

This is true. Tucker and Dale can be downloaded right now.

Oct 1 - 09:40 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

Thanks for clearing that up because I just rented Tucker & Dale from blockbuster!

Oct 3 - 08:29 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Anna's plastic surgery didn't start off bad, but like most of these stars she went and overdid it.

Oct 1 - 08:30 AM

BLBnow

Brad Barfoot

Im just happy they evened her boobs out.

Oct 1 - 09:43 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Sep 29 - 06:38 PM

BLBnow

Brad Barfoot

Cmon, Dont tell me your not looking forward to the next "Scary Movie"

Sep 29 - 08:31 PM

That Random Albino Kid

Dominic Dold

Dream House for me. Maybe 50/50 depending on what I have time for.

Sep 29 - 06:46 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Tucker And Dale Vs Evil came out in 2010 and is available on TPB dot com as we speak; you can have it in an hour. (if Tucker and Dale came-out in 2010, then why are people claiming its new) . . . there's something fishy going-on here in America . . . especially when we have over TEN THOUSAND people who have been camped-out in cardboard boxes on Wall Street since September 17th and no news organization has reported it besides Amy Goodman's Democracy Now

So, America is under Revolutionary Attack on Wall Street with over 2000 Arrests since September 17th and police are spraying people with pepper-spray and no news organization is reporting it.

Americans are literally living in a Dream . . . where movies that are over a year old are being released as "New" and there's an attack on Wall Street occurring as we speak.

Sep 29 - 06:47 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Technically, you should have already seen it.

Sep 29 - 06:49 PM

BLBnow

Brad Barfoot

This is true. Tucker and Dale can be downloaded right now.

Oct 1 - 09:40 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

Oct 3 - 08:29 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday