5150, Rue des Ormes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5150, Rue des Ormes Reviews

½ September 28, 2014
A truly superb psychological thriller!
½ September 5, 2013
Unfinished Games may cause Obsessions, but an Unachieved Purpose can Kill--A Psychological Nightmare on "Ormes" Street!!
½ December 21, 2011
A Pitiful joke of a film, "5150 Rue des Ormes" offers absolutely nothing with characters that consistently contradict their development and a plot that is so disjointed and without any truly obvious purpose.

It attempts to disturb the viewer, however with any halfway decent explanations for the events transpiring onscreen, the only truly disturbing thing about the film is if the viewer is actually able to sit through the entire thing at all.
½ August 16, 2012
A French language psycho-thriller from Canada that's exceptionally well executed with a seemingly simple plot centers around an accidental captivity of an young film student in a residence of a righteous psychopath & fanatic chess player. With some great characterization & a good cast, the film comes with a good production value, not so much gore except if you count a room of bleeding wall & its floor flooded with blood! The entertainment more lies on the growing psychological tensions between & within the characters & the slowly changing course of events.
June 28, 2012
Pretty good, despite being French (yep, I was taken in by the synopsis saying "Made in Canada" and it having an English title here in Australia). Intriguing, with an interesting ending. Has a few contrivances and the plot isn't perfect, but it is compelling enough.
½ June 22, 2012
A brilliantly acted and original horror film that is different from what we normally get.
½ January 5, 2011
ugly people, poor direction
May 19, 2012
Jusqu'où peut aller la folie ?
April 10, 2012
Not bad, it was a good dark thriller. But I would have find it way better if I had not read the book in first place, because all I could think of was all the differences between it and the movie. What upset me the most, is that, in the book, Yannick is really less.. arrogant and looking for trouble than in the movie, and his relation with Jacques Beaulieu is a lot more complex and intriguing and it evolves more, it the movie, it's not what's the most the most important. And I truly was upset they removed the kind of epilogue, with what Michelle does... But the actors were good, because I have to admit, I expected much worse from some of them.
March 27, 2012
nice psychological movie
½ March 23, 2012
Quebecois are messed up.

Stochholm syndrome.
I shouldnt have done this right after 7 days
March 23, 2012
The book was so much better. It seems like an easy thing to say, but it still is true. What upset me the most is that in the book, Yannick really enters this mess by total accident. In the movie, he walked himself in the house, and kind of searched for trouble. It kind of pissed me off. Normand D'Amour was incredible.
½ July 29, 2011
A decent enough, better than average, French thriller about another kidnapped youngster, imprisoned in a rather odd family home set-up.

This film was good in places but for me, it also falls flat (maybe I watch too many Euro horrors?). It is well written, acted and directed (and shot) but at times lacks deeper character development to be anything other than just plain good. The original element comes in the form of chess (and it's related power games) as the twisted father of the family controls and justifies his murderous/torturous ways through misguided religious beliefs. He controls his family (daughters and wife) and kidnaps a passing teenager in a quest to cleanse another unjust individual.

I would recommend this film, as there is enough content here, and it is well delivered, but do not expect anything too inspirational, moving, deep or new. A well put together and delivered film that may divide opinion, with a lesser start and ending and a psychological study open for interpretation, and in this case, appreciation.
½ February 25, 2012
This is weird....

Not believable but still... very watchable and well made.
½ December 20, 2011
Pretty nice and dark movie. 3,5/5
June 15, 2011
A young man knocks on a door one day in need of help, once inside he discovers a man in need of help, who is being kept by the ocupants, he in turn is kidnapped and locked away, it turns out the man of the house, husband and father to two kids, is capturing people he believes bad and kills them, a true purpose you discover later. but this young man is innocent and certainly not guilty of anything in mans eyes, so he keeps him captive, and after a while its clear what he needs to do, and a interesting film with chess as a theme is formed. a well crafted thriller using its setting and elements well. the film runs great and the 2nd act going places. great central p[erformances and a interesting journey for the captived man. enjoyed
½ September 26, 2010
The worst film i ever.
August 27, 2010
this movie was the most distubing flim ive ever saw. a must see for horror fans( and the fact thats its less known is great too)
½ August 16, 2010
A truly scary horror movie. The movie was in French so I had subtitles. What makes this scary is how the two main characters plays chess with Dead bodies. A guy shoots a child with a shotgun!!!! Really scary, even the main character who is laying chess with himself and beliving some one is playing chess with him. Freaky!!!