• 5x2

5x2 (5 x 2: Five Times Two) Reviews

gor41
gor41

July 4, 2007
Moving study of a relationship in reverse which highlights the inherent fragility of emotional bonds
deano
deano

September 24, 2006
Average French drama-little romance movie at the present backward to the past story of a couple - Marion and Gilles.
Mark A

June 18, 2010
A difficult film made more so by these completely self-absorbed, unlikeable characters. When first we see Marion (Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi) and Gilles (Stephane Freiss), they are in a judgeâ??s chambers as he reads the divorce decree that will terminate their short, mercurial marriage. In a series of scenes that march time backwards, we see the seeds of this breakup as they are sown, but not until the final scene, which is first in the sequence of events, do we realize how doomed this relationship was from the beginning. The methodology employed is certainly interesting and keeps one going, looking for the point at which hope was still alive, but the desolate answer is not the one we had wished for. The scenery, in some of the earlier (story-wise) locales, was quite lovely and the viewer is treated to some wonderful cinematography. The film certainly benefited from strong direction from Francois Ozon. But one ultimately wishes that these people were more sympathetic so that one could sense the tragedy more honestly. Not a lot of fun, and a whole lot of bad choices.

July 19, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"5 X 2" starts out with Marion(Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi) and Gilles(Stephane Freiss) formalizing their divorce to each other. After the hearing, they retire to a hotel room for post-divorce sex, but when Marion has second thoughts, Gilles rapes her. Afterwards, they come to an understanding to the visitation rights of their son. Before she leaves, Gilles asks if they can still make a go of it...without saying anything, Marion exits and proceeds to the elevator.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Then, the movie flashes back two years to presumably happier times as Marion and Gilles are preparing to host a dinner party. Three more segments follow, each two years previously in the past and each at a pivotal point in their relationship.(On the surface, "5 X 2", has a similar structure to "Betrayal"(1983) but the previous film only concerned itself with an affair and if memory serves me correctly, was quite dull.)[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Written and directed by Francois Ozon, "5 X 2" is a very intelligent and thought- provoking movie that posits marriage more as a legal construct than as anything romantic. Basically, it argues that it is okay to be alone.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]What I think is also very interesting about this movie is the role parents play in shaping the lives of their children. For example, Marion's parents are always arguing but stay together. Did this shape her attitudes towards relationships? Conversely, I am wondering if it is imporant that we never get a good look at Gilles' parents and that this might be symbolic of a very distant relationship.[/font]
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

April 15, 2010
Reverse chronology is the perfect vehice for showing a relationship, by taking us backwards from divorce papers via childbirth though to wedding and then that first meeting is a perfect, you can see where it all goes wrong, and how the mighty oak of relationship breakdown grows from the tiny seed of discontent. It would have been better if the lead male hadn't been such a git though.
littlecharmer1959
littlecharmer1959

November 18, 2008
My new favourite Ozon film. The story told in reverse is very effective and not gimmicky. There are some very beautiful and touching scenes, such as the ending walking off into the sunset and the dinner party dance scene with the Paolo Conte song. Overall great film with fantastic performances (especially Valeria Bruni Tedeschi).
Sunil J

May 6, 2008
Kind of cool to watch but if it wasn't told backwards it would be pretty dull.
jjb3332003
March 3, 2009
Francois Ozon tries his hand at reverse chronology and does an excellent job of capturing the subtle nuances of human behavior and emotion. An outstanding cast and wonderful soundtrack complete the picture.
sleepykiss
December 8, 2008
Wonderful, a failed marriage told in reversal. Relationships r a lot more then just attraction & sex & plans. Its that indescribable spark that keeps relationships alive. Ive only found that spark once.
April 8, 2014
no where near as engaging and profound as Scenes From a Marriage, though some scenes are worthy of merit.
September 16, 2010
It had a exceptionally tantalizing premise, but as the film dragged on, it got less intense and more frothy, characters got flimsier, and it seemed less inspired by 'Kramer vs. Kramer' and more by 'Out of Africa.' I believe it would have worked a lot better if the story had been told linearly, but props to Ozon (who continues to impress me) for the idea.
Boris v. M.
April 11, 2010
A very minimalistic conceptual movie about a relationship heading to it's bitter end. The movie begins with the last scene: the couple divorces. Why, you'll ask yourself? In 5 scenes we hop back into time and get to know where the relationship went wrong and how it all started.

The beauty of this movie lies in the fact that it is more than just a concept. It's about real people. A lot of critics stated they couldn't relate to the maincharacters. To me, this wasn't a problem at all. Their personalities are quite clear but their deeper dilemma's stay secrets only revealed by body-language.

The actors are beautiful, the story is amazing and concept is nice. Don't expect too much, but expect a minamlistic drama that is far from pretentious (thank god for that).
gagan c.
November 27, 2008
[color=black][font=Tahoma]5x2 expresses the difficulties couples face in relationships. I thought this movie was a good portrayal of realistic relationships. It did not sugar coat anything and was very down to earth. It was a bit slow but overall it was neat to see the sequence the movie was played in. It started with the main characters sitting a lawyer?s office and then goes backwards to display why they are getting a divorce. Overall, this movie has great entertainment value. I wouldn't recommend this movie to individuals that like to watch fast paced films. [/font][/color]
Frogsarefalling
May 28, 2008
The center of this film is a beautifully realized dance scene involving two couples, which flows in both directions from its simple core.
Virus
November 28, 2007
I expect very big things of Francois Ozun. He has shown me a lot of promise in his filmmaking and writing. But he is like Woody Allen in that he makes a film every single year. Anyways it's good film about a broken marriage and Ozun using a unique way of telling this story to make it interesting enough.

July 19, 2006
Kwarizmi
July 10, 2006
Relationships end all the time. It's normal, it's natural. But is it unavoidable?

This film does not so much as the question as it weaves a time-travel spell so we can answer the question for ourselves. In five separate chapters in reverse chronological order, we see a relationship end, collapse, crack, solidified, then born. It's not a unique approach, but it is effective and powerful.

The leads are capable, succeeding in projecting their warts-and-all personnas into the screen. There are moments that are entirely engaging and watchable, but the directing is not quite up to the acting, and that keeps "5x2" in the good-not-great ground. The plot is interesting, however; because of the order of the scenes, we don't see the seeds of the relationships destruction before witnessing the wreckage itself. Looking for those seeds (and they're not all easy to find), is an exercise not devoid of cathartic or philosophical value.