90% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Green Lantern Reviews

John M

June 18, 2011
After reading a handful of bad reviews i went into this expecting a giant pile of turd. Now granted I don't dislike many movies. Everything has its good qualities. And I have enjoyed several recent movies that others have disliked. That said my expectations had been seriously lowered going in and well, it wasnt as bad as I expected.

The movie had somewhat decent acting across the board. Nothing great, just good enough for what the actors were given with.

The movie relied heavily on CGI for its otherworldly Corp Members and settings. These were not bad just a huge chunk of the movie.

Up against both Thor and X-Men First Class the movie had little to no deeper story. Both of those two movies this summer had a bit more going for them story wise.. There seemed to be some parts that did feel a bit rushed.

overall though I enjoyed the movie.
Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

July 5, 2011
This movie will be good if the viewer decides to leave his/her brain at home. The human brain naturally finds faults with or can pick apart things that are wrong. At times we overlook these kinds of mistakes if something is truly spectacular over all. These mistakes are too prevalent in Green Lantern. For instance, gravity effects the heroes in space but oxygen doesn't? Apart from that the plot is very thin and antagonists were not developed. Characters in general were badly developed, aside from Hal. Something with so much promise as the Green Lantern ended up being something slip-shoddily made and ultimately forgettable. I'm sorry Armand White, you got this one right.
michael e.
michael e.

June 18, 2011
Green Lantern seems to be that one superhero movie that everyone seemed to hate and was extremely panned by critics, and to be honest I don't really see anything really insanely bad about it like everyone else. While yes I think Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan is a strange choice and feel more like he could play the Flash more than the Green Lantern, one of my favorite Superheroes but he does the role actually pretty well in my mind and he is pretty funny IMO. Many of the actors actually do pretty good jobs too, except for two, Tim Robbins and Peter Sarsgaard. While I love Robbins in films like Shawshank Redemption, he really is given almost nothing to work with in this film at all, he is mainly just there and does almost nothing the whole film and Sarsgaard is just so obnoxious in the movie and really just feels almost pointless and especially since he was not really as involved or as big of a villain in the comics (I did like how he had a Pokemon Sapphire game in his house which was pretty funny). The effects in the film also all look great especially the fantastic designs of all of the different Lanterns during the scene where all the lanterns meet to discuss the problem of Parallax, which he is a fantastic effect in and of itself (plus it was awesome to have Clancy "Mr. Krabs, Mr. Freeze" Brown play him).
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

January 13, 2013
So far from what I usually watch, but still enjoyable super hero flick, not on the level of Batman, but still enjoyable. 4 stars
Emily A

November 23, 2012
This movie isn't bad; It's very pretty, but it's just dumb and never connects. I figured this movie's problem out about halfway through: none of the characters have sound motivation for anything they do. Nothing anyone does makes sense, because this damn movie never took the time to hash out why anyone would behave the way they do. Are all Lantern recruits treated with such hostility by Sinestro and their trainers? How did the guardian who became Paralax make the jump between trying to harness fear to becoming an evil fear engine? Why is Hector on his side? How do you become physically infected by an abstract concept, and how do you then throw it into the sun? If the screenwriters had taken a little more time to answer questions like these, this movie might not have lost everybody. Those questions are important, you guys. Ryan Reynolds is endearing, but only to a point.
Christian C

October 7, 2012
I'm not familiar with the underlying comic book character so I can't comment on the film's similarities. That said, I didn't think it was as bad as some people were saying. I enjoyed it and would watch it again. Then again, it's hard not to watch any movie with Ryan Reynolds in it....
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

September 8, 2012
A cocky test pilot receives a magic ring from an alien race and is thrust into an intergalactic battle for Earth's salvation.
Although this film was critically panned -- the most interesting of these reviews in Christopher Orr's of The Atlantic who astutely observes that Hal Jordan is rich and gets richer as opposed to the zero-to-hero trope we see in Spiderman and Captain America -- I can't say that I see much difference between this film and the rest of the superhero films that have dominated the multiplex of late. But that doesn't mean it's a good film. All of the characters are flat, and Hal Jordan's transformation into a hero of social conscience is underdeveloped. Any intrapersonal conflict about Hal Jordan overcoming his fear fails to compel because his failures aren't all that dramatic. The film plays up the tired good-versus-evil trope, and the woefully miscast Peter Sarsgaard is far from a compelling villain.
Overall, it's bad, but it's just as bad as most of the stuff people seem to like lately.
Eugene B

August 11, 2012
For a film that's highly budgeted, it failed to hit that superhero-punch. Though it provided a visually remarkable landscape, it fails to fly from its poor story and less-that-impressive performance from not only the hero, but those around. 2.5/5
Christopher H

October 21, 2011
How does a superhero movie with a $200 million budget end up looking like a $30 million TV movie? A lot of the CGI-heavy scenes look like video game cut scenes, and a lot of the scenes with Ryan Reynolds flying look like his head is awkwardly floating around. It also perplexes me why they had the Green Lantern costume all computer generated. Why didn't they just make an actual costume? This movie had five writers, which shows because the plot is so thin, clustered, un-focused, and incoherent that it becomes hard to emotionally connect to anything. The Parallax story is not given enough attention and the Hector Hammond storyline could have been deleted all together. The film tries to balance realism with fantastic science fiction elements but fails miserably. If the movie had just been Green Lanterns training on the planet Oa, it could have been decent. Reynolds does a decent job for what he is given (despite being miss-casted) along with Mark strong and Peter Sarsgaard. It is just a shame that a better script wasn't written for them. This feels like the type of superhero movie that would have been made before the Christopher Nolan Batman series or the first two X-men films, not after. Instead of taking inspiration from the characters vast comic book mythology, the filmmakers made a "Top-Gun" rip-off. In this age of superhero movies, an ill-conceived mess such as this is un-acceptable.
Albert K

March 25, 2012
With all the smack-talking-word-of-mouth I've been hearing from "Green Lantern", it surprisingly didn't live up to be such a big pile of crap. Though I absolutely agree that it was littered with problems, at the end of the day, "Green Lantern" has inventive and flashy action that is enough to entertain and a narrative that carries a presence of a well-rounded theme. Nevertheless, it isn't to say that the rest of the movie doesn't cohesively fit together; the ideas that were written out in paper is easy to spot and good-intentioned, but it isn't executed correctly. Everything gets pretty sloppy, but it's worth a watch
Letitia L

January 28, 2012
Convoluted, emotionless and weird but visually pleasing and entertaining enough.
Jason O

February 29, 2012
Run of the mill & mediocre. The abilities of the green lantern are very cool, but the film seems rushed and uninspired for the most part.
Dean !

March 19, 2011
It starts out pretty well but I think it lost its way about half way through. It's an ok mix of action, comedy but sometimes tries to be too serious and others too funny! There is far too much cgi for me and despite the budget not all of it looks that good. By the time you get to the last 15mins it just didn't feel like the right ending for the film? A mix of the Mask with Superman, odd combo!
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 13, 2011
The Green Lantern. Another super hero movie I dislike. By it having the typically average conveyer belt production values of a superhero blockbuster. Essentialy a huge, green, unbalanced turd.
Thomas J

February 15, 2011
Other than FEELING how hard this movie tries to be more than it is... it also falls short with the Ryan Reynolds overacting. It still comes off as enjoyable, but fell short of what I hoped for.
Cynthia S

September 7, 2010
I wanted to love this. I am a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds. He is the one shining part of this movie. The rest around him was just not up to par. I found the story just not good enough. Not bad, but could have been so much better.
sergioogarcia
sergioogarcia

July 5, 2011
Wow! I need to review my reviews. 27% the critics? What were you expecting from The Green Lanterns? More drama, suspense? C'mon is Sci-fi for kids! The story of Hal Jordan is very blurry through all the DC timeline. I never expect more, or less. I enjoy it. More than Captain America.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 29, 2010
The Green Lantern is by far one of the weirdest, most out there and nerdiest of all comic book properties,or at least mainstream ones. A big budget live action film adaptation, if done right, could have really brought this nique brand of comic book hero to amazing cinematic life. It's not an easy thing to do though.

Given the nutty and difficult nature of the property, I have to kinda take it easy on Martin Campbell and Company. They gave it a good shot, and, even though they didn't quite succeed in doing justice to things or making what had the potential to be a great film, they did at least make something this is fun and entertaining.

Cocky, yet insecure and vulnerable test pilot Hal Jordan comes across the remnants of a crashed alien vessel. The dying alien inside gives him a ring and a lantern and tells him that he was chosen to replace him. Replace him to do whatexactly? Well, become the first human intergallatic space cop, that is! A weird space entity named Parallax that thrives on fear is threatening to destory all of known existence across creation, and it is up to Hal to learn the ropes and utilize his newly acquired powers (driven by will power)to conjure up anything he can think of (literally-the limitations are bound only by one's imagination) to prove himself and save the universe.

If this all sounds like ridiculous, but interesting, comic book pop entertainment, well...it is. It's not suppose to be taken too seriously, and that's part of the problem with this film's reception. People expect a little too much out of comic book films these days, and I feel like besides the inherent nature of the source material, having too high of expectations turned a lot of people off from this movie.

I'll admit that it does have problems: the score is competantly put together, but completely forgettable; the CGI (especially the suit and mask) are a giant mixed bag. Sometimes it looks okay, but mostly it resembles something a little too corny, comic booky, and Lucasesque. Also, the film has A LOT of stuff going on, which is fine, but the film is just under two hours, yet feels and moves at a pretty brisk pace, meaning a lot of scenes feel really truncated and kinda like some important stuff got cut out. The writers could have also come up with a far better story that could have equally appealed to die hards and general audiences alike.

So, what does work (ie: why am I giving this a mild pass)? Well, Campbell is a decent director, so he keeps things (mostly) on the right track, and the action scenes are decent. There are some big names here, and some of them, are well cast. Ryan Reynolds is a perfect fit for Hal, bringing the right amount of humor, pathos, and cockiness to the role. Blake Lively is decent as Carol Ferris the love itnerest, though, save for like maybe three scenes, isn't really given much substantial stuff to work with, but she's at least beautiful and spunky. Mark Strong is awesome as SInestro, and I couldn't think of a better choice. Peter Sarsgaard is fun to watch as a truly nutty antagonist, and Jay O. Sanders, Angela Bassett, and Tim Robbins bring some class to the affair, even if the full extent of all of their talents doesn't get fully realized.

All in all, it's a shame this film gets dumped on. Yeah, it 's not a great comic book movie, and it's a bit too hammy, especially in the wake of stuff like The Dark Knight, but c'mon, lighten up. This is some fun stuff, and the source material is all kinds of nerdy, awesome, bizarre, and challenging, so you can't fault the makers too much for not quite pulling off a tough job. If you can just relax, ignore the hate, and just be happy to stare at some sweet visuals and unsophisticated yuks, then you might find yourself enjoying this one.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 28, 2010
As I already concerned about before, this year DC got surrounded by 3 Marvel's superheroes, and as predicted before DC loses this game.. Not only they can't deliver a movie that a lot better than any of Marvel's superheroes movie this year, but they also lose from the quality.. Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern for me it's a one-sided victory for DC as they succeed to hijack him from Marvel after Ryan's performance as Deadpool in 'X-Men Origins : Wolverine', especially about the rumors that spread about a single Deadpool movie.. The other cast was awesome I thought, having Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Mark Strong, and Tim Robbins, but the fact they didn't impressed me a lot, probably just Sarsgaard that made me raise my eyebrows while watching him because his appearance definitely different from his usual appearance.. Overall, it's still an enjoyable movie to be watched even though the story contains nothing special on it.. And as I predicted before for the ending, Sinestro will be the rival for Green Lantern if they plan to make a sequel for this movie..