As The Farrelly Brothers Pass, "Three Stooges" Movie Rights Go Elsewhere

Film rights to bring the beloved slapstick trio to the big screen have changed hands in Hollywood many times, and the latest turnover has First Look Studios making the picture instead of Peter and Bobby Farrelly.

The Farrelly brothers seemed the perfect people to update the shenanigans of Larry, Curly and Moe -- after all, they gave the world "Dumb & Dumber," "Kingpin," and "There's Something About Mary."

But many other comic filmmakers have also failed the Stooges (including Mel Brooks), and the Farrellys' Warner Bros. deal to write and direct has expired.

From Variety:

"First Look, working with C3 Entertainment, said it intends to stay true to the flavor of the original Stooges, who created their own brand of slapstick...'Various people have had various ideas, but we want to keep the traditional wild-and-crazy aspect,' [C3 Entertainment prexy-CEO Earl] Benjamin said."

Meanwhile, the Farrellys are currently filming "The Seven Day Itch" (AKA "The Heartbreak Kid") with Ben Stiller, due out next October.

Comments

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

No one could really make a decent Three Stooges film, so why bother.

Oct 13 - 02:59 PM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

Please God, let this movie not be made, don't let Hollywood ruin another childhood memory!!!

Oct 13 - 03:23 PM

Reeven

Jud Widing

I never liked the Three Stooges, but I say don't make a movie not because I hate them, but because I know people who like them, and I don't want to see their memories get pissed all over.

Oct 13 - 09:01 PM

South_park300

First Last

I'm actually very happy about this. From what I read awhile back, the Farrelly Bros were gonna ruin the Three Stooges by making it have grossout humor and things like that, which is totally not what the Three Stooges was about

Oct 14 - 02:07 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

A stooges movie should be some kind of biopic of the actors, not an actual moe, larry, curly/shemp adventure. That would be terrible.

Oct 15 - 11:27 AM

phill01

First Last

I think that if it has to be made - Let the Coens brothers make it.

Oct 16 - 12:10 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

I agree, and maybe the Coens will give it the violence that it always deserved-- plus who would know how to portray a trio of goofy Jews better than a pair of goofy ones also

But I also agree with an earlier comment-- I also never really watched the show, but it is an important part of many childhoods, and the studios have only one chance to ruin their memories

Oct 16 - 08:51 AM

South_park300

First Last

no, the farrelly's were gonna make an actual adventure movie, like another episode. ABC did a biopic years ago, wasn't too bad

Oct 16 - 07:09 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

Oct 16 - 08:51 AM

HollywoodWolf

Jeremiah Ruddle

[b]No Farrelly Brothers? Thank God[/b]
I am so glad it won't be the Farrelly Brothers making the stooges movie. I have been watching the three stooges for almost 25 years. I grew up watching the slapstick comedy along with Abbott & Costello and Laurel & Hardy. The Three Stooges don't need to be demoralized by filth. I like the Farrelly Brother's movies, but they don't deserve to make the movie under their style. It would be raunchy and disgusting. Oh, by the way, I am 5'8" and overweight and would shave my head to play the part of Curly. Everybody tells me I look like him anyways and that I act just like him.

Oct 18 - 01:24 PM

Shouldhavebeenacritic

Phil Cristian

I agree with South park.....as a lifetime fan of the Stooges, I wasn't happy about the kind of movie they were talking about making either. A little reverence please. But, on the other hand..... If it's ever finally made, with special fx what they are today, the slapstick stuff should be hilarious.

Aug 18 - 08:17 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!