Johnny Reviews

½ August 1, 2011
I can appreciate a faith based movie if it's realistic. This one was was not, for so many different reasons. I work in the medical field so I'm always attuned to medical inaccuracies. It plucks me when they skimp on the technicalities, like the surgery scene where the kid isn't even intubated or being bagged (but you can hear the ventilator in the background).

Secondly, the father in the story is supposed to be a busy oncologist, yet he seemed to have a lot of spare time on his hands. I couldn't believe it when he suggested blowing off his patients just to hang out with the family and go fishing. Most of the docs I work with are too professional to do such a thing!

Lastly, I was appalled that the husband brought home the dying child after his wife had already told him "no". What a lack of respect, especially since she was still mourning the death of her son. Then the husband had the nerve to leave her all alone with the dying kid while he trotted off to a religious retreat. I would have kicked him in the pants so hard, he would have needed an orthopedic surgeon!

I like to watch movies that set a good example but this one was overly preachy.