Lucky

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Lucky Reviews

March 26, 2014
A very different and interesting sort of story line, but oddly entertaining.
Hamee
March 14, 2014
Hanks and Graynor were hilarious in this movie. The plot was strange, but it is definitely worth a watch.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 13, 2014
Even a serial killer can win the lottery.

Good movie! This film is innovative and clever and extraordinarily well written. The screenplay was an extraordinary piece of writing. I won't give anything away, because if you like quirky independent film, you should see this movie. But, some of the scenes were beautifully nuanced. In particular, the final scene, which was an extremely difficult scene to pull off. Sublette manages to make it work. The pacing, editing, and direction are all as good as it gets. And the way the screenplay subtly builds these characters so that we believe their relationship is masterful. In "Lucky", the lack of regard for morality, as understood by the majority of the populace, is not obvious. It isn't a clear part of the plot. It isn't relied upon to engender fear or revulsion. I almost didn't notice it until near the end of the film. It is as if the film was made entirely by people unaware that such a concept as "objective morality" even existed. Of course it wasn't. If for no other reason than that, "Lucky" deserves praise.

Ben Keller is sort of a bumbler who carries a torch for Lucy, a co-worker he's known since childhood. She's indifferent until he wins $36 million in the Iowa lottery; trouble is, he murdered the young woman who bought the ticket (it's not his first murder), but the mercenary Lucy doesn't discover Ben's secret until their honeymoon. She figures out that he murders women who look like her, so she's probably safe: she'd like to wait for the next lottery check to come in the mail, then run away. Ben knows she knows and wants her to love him anyway. With a police detective sniffing around and Ben's protective mother watching things carefully, can Lucy make a great escape?
December 23, 2013
Consider yourself lucky if you missed this movie. A good idea, done poorly with bad acting on top. lame!
July 11, 2011
It's meant to be deadpan but Lucky is just dead, period. Only Graynor manages to inject any life into it. But she might as well be shooting electricity through a corpse. I say SKIP IT!!!
NeuroMan42
December 4, 2013
Love is a strange battlefield.
August 12, 2013
Despite an intriguing premise, the film falls disappointingly flat, in large part due to its disjointed story. While it has flashes of brilliance in the last act, their potential goes unrealized, and they're too little, too late.
July 8, 2013
While it seems to really have no conclusion in my eyes, it was still quirky enough to be entertaining. The low rating for this is misleading, it can be a fun movie if you let it.
July 3, 2013
This movie didn't know if it wanted to be a dark comedy or a thriller (or at least it felt that way). It also felt like it failed at both with the laughs pretty non existent and no discernible tension. Is it safe to say that Colin Hanks won't have nearly the prolific career his dad did yet?
June 30, 2013
I didn't anticipate this movie to be very enjoyable, but Colin Hanks manages to pull off a very interesting character, while his wife, Ari Graynor, manages to be absolutely crazy.
AvidClimber
June 12, 2013
Lucky is a serial killer's tale through the eye of a cynic. It's a dark comedy that anyone can easily enjoy.

The good. Surprising scenario, nicely put together. When you think it's going to go left, it goes right. Imaginative ideas in the story. Excellent ending. This is not your Hollywood mush, it has realism mixed in the movie flair.

The bad. A few logical hitch, but easily ignored.

The ugly. Nothing.

The result. If you like films that are different, offbeat, this is for you. Everyone else should at least give it a try.
February 10, 2013
There is only about 10 minutes of this film that's worthwhile
December 9, 2012
Completely unpredictable and awesome.
Noah Abraham G.
October 20, 2012
Although the first two acts are middling at best, full of confusing writing and lackluster comedy, "Lucky" is saved by its manic third act. The movie is definitely worth sitting through for the last half hour alone.
November 10, 2012
Absolutely love it. My best friend and I laughed at every corner.
September 24, 2012
mmmhh pues ,, entretiene....la guerita está simpática
September 23, 2012
This was a GREAT movie! I can't believe the awful ratings it's getting. I watched it 2 times the day I got it because I liked it so much I wanted to show my wife when she got home from work!
September 22, 2012
The movie fails to make good on its premise. The plot is extremely incoherent, the character development is nonexistent, and, worst of all, it isn't funny. We've seen Hanks as a serial killer before, in Dexter, and the result here is even worse. I hope I never have to see that forced "evil" scowl on Hanks' face again.
September 16, 2012
I kind of love Ari Graynor, but what the hell did I just watch?
September 15, 2012
This movie was amazing, quirky, and funny. Perfect for people who like quirk!