The Caller - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Caller Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
February 3, 2015
A movie that tries to be too much! A frustrating but interesting moviem that doesn't leave you with answer. You are left thinking 'what on earth was happening! '
April 4, 2014
Enjoyed this. Really quite creepy. Rachelle is actually a better actress than i gave her credit for. She is very convincing as a recently divorced woman who has started over and starts to receive strange phone calls from a woman named Rose who may, or may not be from the past.
Rose was also surprisingly menacing for a character you only see briefly in this, who sounds like a sweet old lady.
Very interesting idea for a horror. One of the better ones I have seen in quite some time.
YodaMasterJedi
½ May 4, 2013
two and a half stars
September 18, 2011
Well, I watched it all. At first it seemed like an interesting premise, but then things just seemed to get more and more "out there". I feel like I just watched an episode of Twilight Zone....Rachelle Lefevre, Stephen Moyer, and Ed Quinn were good, but good actors aren't always enough. Not a terrible movie, just ok..
LWOODS04
½ September 17, 2011
Cast: Stephen Moyer, Rachelle Lefevre, Luis Guzmán, Ed Quinn, Lorna Raver, Gladys Rodríguez, Alfredo De Quesada, Brian Tester, Grace Connelly

Director: Matthew Parkhill

Summary: This spooky thriller tracks the private nightmare of Mary Kee, a divorcée who begins receiving disturbing telephone calls from a woman she doesn't know. After engaging the stranger initially, Mary tries to extricate herself -- with horrific results.

My Thoughts: *throwing hands up in the air stomping feet*

"I don't know how I tend to keep on picking such craptastic films. A scary film is not suppose to PUT YOU TO SLEEP! Where are the good old scary films gone? Doesn't anyone put any effort into these films anymore?
OK. So this may have a few spoilers.
I don't understand the ending what so ever. Why didn't Rose kill the younger Mary Kee in the past instead of coming to the future to kill the grown up Mary Kee? How come Mary Kee never called the cops on her ex who was obviously not abiding by the restraining order? It is just a mess of a movie that made not whole lot of sense and that took too damn long to get anywhere. Definitely skip this one."
½ September 18, 2011
If you liked Frequency and/or Stir of Echoes but wished that the plots could be in the same movie AND...wait for it.... be produced and shown on Lifetime, then this is your film. Nothing beats (lol) domestic abuse. Red Box it baby! For $1 I wasn't too disappointed.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Caller is film I wanted to rate higher since I liked the premise, the setting, and found the female lead to play a sympathetic character. I did not have any problem following the plot points, and was going to rate the film up, but it unraveled as it approached the end. The ending was disappointing and what I would consider a deus ex machina. But all-in-all, The Caller was a decent film (and more thriller than horror).
½ March 7, 2013
Decent horror thriller. When a young, recently divorced woman called Mary moves into a new apartment to start a new life it isn't just her stalker-ish ex-husband she needs to be scared of. Not long after moving in, the woman gets a call from what seems like a wrong number at first but the more Mary talks to the lady on the other line she realises this woman appears to be calling from the past. This sets up a chain of events and Mary has to start questioning everything/everyone around her. An interesting film with a good twist to, The Caller is well worth a look.
May 14, 2012
It doesn't really make any sense and it's really not scary either. There were no redemptive qualities to it.
John2223
½ September 17, 2011
"The Caller" has an interesting premise, though it is not unique, it manage to be intense and spooky at times. It is a slow burning movie where there is not one boring moments and It is thoroughly engrossing and thrilling.
February 1, 2015
it had the potential to be a really good movie but the execution was terrible and the ending was pretty lame. Definitely a horror movie worth skipping, dissapointing movie.
½ December 20, 2014
Whatever the critics said, Matthew Parkhill is definitely one of the director to watch, loved "Dot The I" also.
½ October 20, 2014
The film suffers from gaping plot holes, forced acting, and so much poor ADR that even the moments that work feel stifled and less than what they could be.
½ January 21, 2014
Dug this movie. It really creeped me out. The lead was sexy and very effective. What made it scary is the womans voice on the phone and the fact you never saw her. The main lead went through a lot and you just cringed at what she went through. Effective movie
October 1, 2013
Pretty good up until the ending when it got confusing and convoluted. It probably could've been a bit scarier too.
August 11, 2013
i didn't think it was bad at all -- it's like The Lake House but instead of them falling in love, one's a psycho and ultimately tries to kill the other. They also received their messages a little faster since they utilized a telephone line instead of a mailbox. I'd recommend it for a one time see if you don't got anything better to do.
July 22, 2013
I have no idea what movie the critics with these negative reviews were watching. What i saw was a movie with not exactly a unique concept but an interesting concept nonetheless. they took that concept of a phone between the past and future and took it in a very unique and fun direction. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, it was truly the most helpless I think the heroine of a film has been and you felt that helplessness. And it is all capped off with a great ending. Watch this movie, it is truly a hidden gem.
June 21, 2013
The next time I'm being stalked over the phone by a creepy woman, I'll remember not to ignore her. You know, in the off-chance she's from the past and can affect my future.
February 15, 2013
One of the few movies I can say actually gave me the chills, amazingly brilliant idea with great acting, keeps you on the edge of your seat.
½ December 8, 2012
A fascinating twist on the "haunting" genre that is genuinely unnerving and doesn't fly off the rails in the third act like many of its contemporaries.