43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

86% The Knick: Season 1

8 Million Ways To Die Reviews

Stephen E

April 4, 2013
Based on a series of detective stories from novelist Lawrence Block, "8 Million Ways to Die" is a curious little crime thriller from director Hal Ashby and writers Oliver Stone and David Lee Henry centered on alcoholic ex-cop Matt Scudder (played by utmost commitment Jeff Bridges, who never seems to be giving less than a hundred percent in his roles) as he is dragged into the sleazy underworld of drugs and prostitution. "8 Million Ways to Die" is gritty, full of coarse language and pretty entertaining, but it runs out of steam halfway through, leaving us with an unremarkable second half and an even more unremarkable finale. (The climactic shootout is an embarrassing mess of bad cuts and poor staging.) It's a real shame because the first half is so promising and Jeff Bridges is so good as his character that when the film starts heading downhill with a surplus of tired clichés, cheap dialogue and subpar filmmaking, we're left hoping that it will eventually get better, but it never does. So, what we're left with in the end is a film that had the potential for greatness, but fell disappointingly short.
MagnusMagica
MagnusMagica

December 2, 2010
An 80s favorite of mine with a great cast with among others
Jeff Bridges, Rosanna Arquette, Randy Brooks and Andy Garcia.
Anthony V

September 19, 2008
I know, I know. With a cast like this, how could it go wrong? Well, trust me, it does.
July 25, 2011
One of my all time favorite Film Noirish revival films of the 80's. I personally can't understand why it got such low marks from critics and audience alike. Anyway, what counts is that I like it.

It's one of those very good L.A. crime films with elements of very good artistic value. The camera work is amazing, the lighting speaks well of the climate of Los Angeles (contrary to what they do now making it look yellowish) and the music is spot on.

The acting is not bad at all, althoigh Rosanna Arquette has never been a favorite of mine. Andy Garcia plays a good ole scum bucket.

Jeff Bridges plays a great cop and a fantastic drunk as few actors can.

This is truly a misunderstood film. Give it a chance by placing yourself back in 1985
June 27, 2014
One of my favorite movies, I love it. The acting, the cinematography that has a raw open feel is cool. I love the use of locations, as I did in another 86 flick,
The Hitcher. There are moments in the film that are so realistic. it's like
an exchange of dialogue in real life, where I feel it had a lot to do with ad libbing. Bridges is so believable as the booze hound detective, Matt Scudder,
while it's the new Garcia who steals the movie as a pimp, called Angel. The credit opening tracking sequence is so cool and awesome, but so are a lot of moments in this flick. Alexandra Paul as the ill fated whore Sunny, you can just eat up.
Though disjointed, EMWTD has some awesome dialogue, and there is
that chase scene with Paul buying it in the back of a van in a daylight snatch, where the back van window turns crimson. If you love 1986 movies like I do, here's one you should see, no excuses, especially Scarface fans. If you wanna really see a cool things in a film that rides on coolness, this is the flick. I mean, just check out Angel's pad, and another one he buys later on.
April 2, 2014
A really good little slice of sweaty, neon coated 80's noir with great Jeff Bridges turning in a really tough, grizzled badass, the sort of real manly man role you dont see todays pretty boy hunks do, as a hopelessly alcoholic ex cop out to avenge a brutally murdered hooker. It's small and slight but it's pleasures are many, a stylish, cool, hard edged bit of lurid fun.
February 23, 2014
Having read many of Lawrence Block's novels which this film is based on, the first mistake the screenwriters did was move the stage out of NY to LA, That said, Hal Ashby's last film is poorly paced and badly in need of editing, ironic since Ashby started his career as an editor. Jeff Bridges, always interesting, does the best he can with what he has.
July 8, 2013
I have 8 million way's NOT to watch this stinker!
FilmGrinder S.
May 8, 2013
88%

"The white stuff? Isn't that a movie about astronauts?"-Angel Maldonado (Andy Garcia)

Things to die for: Hal's direction, Stone's screenplay, Bridge's mustache, the warehouse sequence, the intensity between Bridges and Garcia, Paul's nudity scene, and so on.
Stephen E

April 4, 2013
Dave J
October 1, 2012
Monday, October 1, 2012

(1985) 8 Million Ways To Die
THRILLER

Dull and disoriented movie who can't decide whether it wants to be a 'film noir' or an 'action' film but in the end ends up being a thriller. At the first 5 minutes, Jeff Bridges as "Matt" Scuder who babbles while on a helicopter about the movies title about how theirs "8 million ways to die" we soon find out that it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the film for both the producers as well as the director were probably looking for a movie title since by looking at the title and the picture of the poster - it does look like an action film. Bridges really plays a narcs agent and as a result of shooting and then killing a Mexican drug client who was presented with a warrant for his arrest but instead of cooperating he decides to take a bat beating a former narcs agent to death, internal affairs harasses his ass for saving that former narcs life from whatever blows he could've sustained and the film does not recognize that- it does however, acknowledges that this drug guy also has a family with three underage kids who had to witness this whole thing including their father getting killed for not cooperating. Matt (Bridges) then goes on a serious drinking binge forcing him to leave his family as well as his job since he feels very guilty and drinks lots whenever he feels guilty. After he goes to AA meetings and is about to take full control over his drinking situation, one of the members hands him a note asking him to be somewhere with some money attached to this letter. He goes
July 31, 2012
Entertaining enough while it's on, but this thriller is ultimately indistinguishable from 8 million others.
August 6, 2011
A bit messy, but fun stuff.
November 12, 2010
Great movie ,whats the hold up on th DVD release?
October 12, 2010
what happened to the original and superior story from the novel? I am constantly amazed how hollywood buys a successful book and then completely changes the story. Why bother.
October 8, 2010
I loved this movie! It was so well acted and suspenseful. I would highly recommend this movie.