A Good Old Fashioned Orgy Reviews

blkbomb
January 31, 2013
McCrudden: Endurance training. For Labor Day.

"A comedy about old friends in new positions."

I was pleasantly surprised by A Good Old Fashioned Orgy. Actually, I kind of hate myself for not giving it a better rating, but I had some qualms with how it decided to wrap up everything. I didn't expect this to be such a well made and actually involving film and when it actually got to the orgy, the scene had some heart involved. It was the disgusting, vile film I thought it would be. Sure there was the typical gross out dialogue, but nothing like you'd expect from a film titled, A Good Old Fashioned Orgy.

A group of friends always congregate to the leaders(Eric) summer house, where he throws wild parties. The only problem is he doesn't own it; his dad does. When his dad decides to sell it, they all decide to throw one last party. Now all the parties always had themes, and this time, Eric decides to make that theme, "A good old fashioned orgy." Only the close nit group of friends will be invited to this one and it takes some talking to get some of them to join.

I can understand the negative reviews. A lot of people just don't like movies that are like this, based in sex. The only thing is, is at the heart of this film is friendship. It's not as single minded as you would be led to believe and I actually thought the movie did an amazing job of commercializing the plot, to a degree.

Look, this isn't great filmmaking, it's not necessarily intelligent filmmaking, but it is a lot of fun and extremely funny. While, I'm giving this a mild recommendation; subjectively I enjoyed this a lot more than my rating indicates. It was a pleasure to watch and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the performance from Jason Sudekis. The rest of the cast wasn't too bad either. I especially liked Tyler Labine. This is one of those late night movies to watch when you don't really want to think, but just want to have a few laughs.
½ June 20, 2011
Surprisingly well made and certainly enjoyable, Orgy is an indie comedy that bases itself on the characters, and their intense bond as lifelong friends over sexual humor almost every time. It boasts an impressive cast of character actors included Lindsay Sloane, Leslie Bibb, Lake Bell, Lucy Bunch, and Michelle Borth as the hold their own women. On the other side are all seminally famous leading men, including SNL's Jason Sudeikis as our portagonist, Eric, comedian Nick Kroll, Reaper's Tyler Labine, and Freaks and Geeks alum Martin Starr. I was watching with the inexplicable desire to compare this film to another about a large group of old friends who are put at odds: The Big Chill. Both have humor that borders on the goofy but in a lackadaisical connotation, both have a large cast that are very believable, and both are great films to watch in order to lose yourself for a bit of time. Unlike its predecessor it does not touch on serious themes such as suicide, homosexuality, or impotence. It's more of a silly romp that never takes itself particularly seriously. The title alone probably suggests something that stays tame and relies on petty, vulgar jokes to keep its momentum. Instead there is also a biting wit and a penchant for the absurd that bolsters it into being something that straddles the line between its rating and an R. It dares to go to the extreme unlike many other films, delivering something that is beyond expectation. The film does examine the intricacies of friendship and the pros and cons of having an orgy, even with these eccentric circumstances. Really, it's much better than all the evidence suggests, and delivers in a big way.
LWOODS04
March 19, 2012
Cast: Jason Sudeikis, Leslie Bibb, Lake Bell, Michelle Borth, Nick Kroll, Tyler Labine, Angela Sarafyan, Lindsay Sloane, Martin Starr, Lucy Punch, Will Forte, Rhys Coiro, Don Johnson

Director: Alex Gregory, Peter Huyck

Summary: When his father opts to sell the family vacation house in the Hamptons, a sophomoric 30-year-old (Jason Sudeikis) realizes the home's tradition of summer parties will soon end. So he decides to go out with a bang -- with many bangs, actually -- by throwing an orgy. Enlisting the help of his best pals, he sets out to make the dream a reality in this rowdy comedy, also starring Will Forte, Lake Bell, Leslie Bibb and Michelle Borth.

My Thoughts: "Silly... yes. Stupid... yes. Funny... yes. That is all the reason I needed to keep watching this movie. That, and I think Jason Sudeikis and Tyler Labine are funny guys. They are a pretty good duo in this film and keep the laughs a flow. The whole cast was pretty great. There is plenty of humor in the film and it is made to be silly/stupid/funny. I mean the title says it all. By the way, not a great movie to be watching when your thirteen yr old ask's which film your watching. I lied of course but still, awkward. Just not a title you want to blurt out to most. But back to the movie. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like it, but I laughed a lot and really enjoyed the fun of it. You can't take the film seriously. But that should be a given. If your in the mood to relax and laugh to a silly film, then this one is for you. Enjoy."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
December 21, 2011
"A comedy about old friends in new positions."

A group of 30-year-olds who have been friends since high school attempt to throw an end-of-summer orgy.

REVIEW
A Good Old Fashioned Orgy stars Jason Sudekis as Eric, a 30-something loser who's never quite grown up. Him and his buddies, including Duquez (Martin Starr), Adam (Nick Kroll), McCudden (Tyler Labine), Willow (Angela Sarafyan) and Alison (Lake Bell) among others find out that Eric's dad is selling the beach house in which all of their ludicrous parties take place. When Eric figures this out, he wants to throw a final labor day bash, a party so ridiculous that it will make all their other parties look mellow. So Eric and McCudden decide to have an orgy with them and their closest friends. This plot is about as raunchy of a plot as you can get, and I am glad to be sitting here telling you that A Good Old Fashioned Orgy delivers on this premise. With so many comedies this year like Bad Teacher and Hall Pass really holding back the raunchiness and trying to play it safe, it's refreshing to see a film that just goes for it. This film isn't as raunchy as some might expect from its title, but it's pretty damn raunchy, as well as daring, funny, likable, and even a bit touching. Everyone in the cast, from Sudekis to Starr to Bell to Sarafyan to Labine is hilarious, and there's not a bad character in the film. Will Forte and Lucy Punch play newlyweds with a kid who the group decides not to invite to the orgy, and they're great as well. Overall, if you like any of these cast members and you like your comedies raunchy and daring, then go check out A Good Old Fashioned Orgy.
½ April 26, 2011
A comedy about old friends in new positions.

Dumb

This is a very stupid movie. However it does have some funny scenes and Sudeikis is once again super funny.

Eric (Sudeikis) is a party thrower, and his house is about to go on sale, he decides to throw one last and big party before he sells it: an orgy. The movie follows Eric and his friends attempt to make the perfect orgy.

It is a really stupid movie, the story is super plain. But the acting in it is quite good. Sudeikies like always is funny, and Labine also does an a good job. Lake Bell finally comes out of her shell and does a good performance. But the best performance goes to Will Forte.

The major problem with this movie is that it doesn't really move forward and the ending is pointless. But its a movie that for sure you will have a couple of gags, even though it might be a little explicit. Watch it at your own risk.

Vic George: "Now if you'll excuse me, I can feel the blood rushing back into my sword."
Harlequin68
½ January 12, 2013
Like many others, a group of longtime friends make their way to the Hamptons for the July 4th holiday, even the ones who make a wrong turn at Grand Central Station. They are there mostly to attend Eric's(Jason Sudeikis) White Trash Bash where he not only meets Kelly(Leslie Bibb) but also incurs the wrath of Suffolk County Police. However, that's nothing compared to his father(Don Johnson) announcing his intention to sell the family home in the Hamptons where Eric hosts his friends every year. In response, he wants to go out with a bang Labor Day weekend. He dismisses Mike's(Tyler Labine) idea for a Brown Party while coming up with something more intimate, an orgy. The response is stunned silence when floated for the eight friends at first, before Susan(Michelle Borth) signs on, as does Laura(Lindsay Sloane) soon after.

With its likable cast, "A Good Old Fashioned Orgy" is a witty and genially amusing movie about friendship and love amongst a group of characters who are awkwardly making the transition from youth to maturity, their biggest responsibilities to date being student loans. Along the way, the movie makes a great use of the end of summer as metaphor. And yes, it is also about sex but unlike most other American films, it is sex positive, wondering what all the big fuss is about in a raunchy but never really vulgar sort of way. And while the movie might be overreaching in blaming AIDS on the resultant neuroses about sex, it is still a sentiment not totally without merit.
April 26, 2011
Haven't we had enough of this format already? Four guys and Four girls, who like to party, decide to do something wild and crazy one night. There's the leader and the shy one, and of course the weird one and the funny one. This set-up has been beaten to death! If you've seen Super Bad, The Hangover, Take Me Home Tonight, or any number of copycats, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Granted, the idea here is a little more original than most and the movie does do what it was intended to do, make you laugh. The faces are different, the situation is different, but everything else is exactly the same, there's nothing original here. Jason Sudeikis and Lake Bell do a great job of making us laugh, but again it's just your basic drunken idiots out to do something special, with all the pitfalls, and weird shit that happens in-between. It was funny and a great way to kill a couple hours, but I got an extreme sensation of deja vu throughout this film. Overall, A Good Old Fashioned Orgy is good for some cheap laughs, but it's honestly nothing you haven't seen before.
PantaOz
July 24, 2012
This comedy with a very bold title, written and directed by Alex Gregory and Peter Huyck wasn't bad at all! Jason Sudeikis, Leslie Bibb, Lake Bell, Michelle Borth, Nick Kroll, Tyler Labine, Lindsay Sloane, Lucy Punch, and Will Forte were somehow suitable for each other as close friends who spent spare time together. The whole story follows Eric (Sudeikis), who, having thrown parties at his father's house for years, decides to have one last party when the house is to be sold: the theme for the last ultimate party is - an orgy! When they present the idea to their friends, they are all reluctant, but the attitudes slowly change...

Gregory and Huyck began writing the script as early as 1997 while they were writers on the television series, The Larry Sanders Show and the concept of the film was based upon a story told by a fellow writer. Skeptical about the amount of truth to the story and believing that people would be full of shame, fear and guilt to make a successful orgy happen they decided to write an ensemble comedy due in part to the powerful emotions that such a sexually charged situation would entail.

Nothing spectacular - just entertaining... It is solidly made movie, funny and less outrageous than expected... and the happy ending is a bonus!
July 4, 2011
Jason Sudeikis has made one relatively amusing and another great ensemble comedy this year with "Hall Pass" first and then "Horrible Bosses" but this late in the game release won't help the guy if he is trying to leave SNL behind after this season. You can't have a title like "A Good Ole Fashioned Orgy" and not go all out with the plot, but what this generic comedy, while trying its best to create a sense of comradery between its cast, isn't able to rise above the bland feel that covers it. While it should have that end of summer zing to it where the audience feels as if they are living through the characters as they do something no one would ever really try or let happen. Instead, the supporting cast of Leslie Bibb, Lake Bell, and Tyler Labine is wasted on a half hearted follow through on a premise ripe for R-rated go around.
½ October 14, 2012
It is short and to the point! A group of close friends, decide to take part in an orgy. It is full of goofball antics and funny moments. It has a few other plot points. But, A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY. Well, it really says it all in the title, doesn't it? I didn't hate it. I do however think, if it had been put together a little better, it may have been something great.
September 4, 2011
ok due to my twisted sense of humor. this was a funny movie. i konw what ya'll thinking, B rated film. well it seems i tend to appreciate all films and this was entertaining.
July 11, 2013
I like how this movie took the casting approach of featuring a group of fun actors who typically are relegated to supporting roles. A blossoming Jason Sudakis anchors the cast, but the group structure evenly spreads the laughs out rather than relying one star. It somewhat dissolves the hierarchy of the core characters, resulting in what feels like a real group of friends in their late 20s. Some of the characters have changed a great deal, while others remain immature. So much so that it seems realistically odd that they are still friends but share a strong bond that takes years to forge. The characters and their friendship are a strongpoint of the movie, but the story is awkward. These friends are threatened with losing the summerhouse where they come together and make great memories. Rather than collectively raising the money to buy the house or find a new place they plan one last big party. There is not a lot rational why orchestrating an orgy becomes the goal. The movie somehow forgets to exploit the extreme situation with over the top crude humor. Oddly enough this comedy has merit on the tenderness of the characters and the gentle laughs are quite secondary.
April 29, 2011
Very funny and good! And there actually turns out to be a huge orgy at the end - and they show more than most movies. Very cool.
½ July 19, 2011
It's very basic... It's a grown-ups version of American pie was to highschoolers. There's nothing completely funny in this movie and I think I just ended up watching it to say I watched it.
½ October 30, 2012
This movie hit some high marks, had well likable characters, it is of course a cheap laugh kind of movie but from the title if you didn't expect that then you're doing it wrong. It's a unique plot, overall decent directing, and actors that are into the script. It's great fun for a night with your friends
½ October 28, 2012
This movie does not take itself seriously. It is what it is with its frat boy appeal. It is funny in parts, predictable in others. You get the feel that you have seen this all before, but all-in-all an entertaining ride, despite its familiar feel.
September 23, 2011
This movie was ridiculous, but worth a watch for the few laughs it did provide. It really wasn't nearly as gross or juvenile as I was expecting.
March 20, 2012
Hella disappointed at this one. It started out pretty good. I liked the cast. It had an ok plot for a bit. A group has crazy parties. They lose the house (dad sells it) and they decide to throw one last party. They decide to make it an orgy party... they're all friends, it's pretty awkward and just not a great movie..
½ February 11, 2012
a pretty lame orgy if you ask me. it has very few entertaining moments, and Angela Sarafyan only looked so so here, the rest.. forgettable.
½ January 9, 2012
It started off good enough & had my interest right from the start up until the orgy happened so what could've been an awesome movie was ruined by a boring orgy.Like Nick Kroll's character said "Worst Orgy Ever" & he was right.The best thing about A Good Old Fashioned Orgy was the secret swingers club that was operated out of Freds Beds.That was hilarious