A Thousand Words - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Thousand Words Reviews

½ February 23, 2015

Think Again Eddie Murphy, Your life would suck if you only have 1,000 words to say before you die, I find this movie Painful!
It's more Painful than it actually is.
October 14, 2015
Un peu comme Dans Ses Rêves, A Thousand Words est une comédie familiale un peu idiote avec un Eddie Murphy très mal utilisé (il est censé ne plus pouvoir parler. Eddie Murphy. Ne plus parler...) et un message neuneu assez touchant en fin de compte. Malheureusement, il faut passer par 1h30 de gags ratés, de seconds rôles qui ne savent pas trop ce qu'ils font là (Cliff Curtis et Allison Janney n'ont pas leur rendement habituel et seul Clark Duke tient la route) et une réalisation extrêmement impersonnelle. C'est d'autant plus dommage que le film aurait dû être réalisé par Alain Chabat, celui-ci ayant déjà prouvé qu'il pouvait sauver un script loupé.
July 31, 2015
Watched it. It's not a classic by any means. But doesn't deserve getting trashed here. It was entertaining. I'd watch it again.
September 24, 2014
No estubo mal, pero hubiese sido peor.
Es... normal.
½ May 18, 2015
It's fun, until about half way through.
March 10, 2015
Not one of his best, and certainly not that funny like Eddie usually is.
March 21, 2015
Another less than acceptable effort from Murphy. The premise here is uninspired - especially when one of Murphy's best features (along with facial expression), his voice, is taken away for the greater part of the movie - and the story is not very interesting. Washington has nothing to do here but complain. Waste of talent in an unfunny comedy.
½ February 28, 2015
A thousand Words (2012)
Rating: 0/5
"A Thousand Words" isn't really the kind of movie that makes you angry but there's nothing good about it whatsoever. The film is profoundly misguided with jokes that don't seem to be aiming for any particular audience, the plot itself is ludicrous and Eddie Murphy is probably at his most irritating ever. Maybe you can detect why this movie is so bad from the premise. Eddie Murphy plays fast-talking book agent Jack McCall who doesn't read books, he just sells them. He tricks a spiritual guru into letting McCall's firm represent his latest enlightening tome, which ends up being five pages. McCall is upset at the guru for pulling a fast one on him so the guru puts a curse on McCall in return. A tree grows in McCall's backyard and whenever he utters a word, a leaf falls off the tree. When the last leaf falls, McCall will die. But wait a second! How is McCall going to do his job and take care of his wife and newborn son without talking? Perhaps through... wacky antics?

In all fairness, the guru in the film doesn't actually place a curse on Jack McCall (that would have been more interesting). The tree sort of just appears out of nowhere because the universe hates the man. Why? Because he spends time at work providing for his family, isn't enthusiastic about moving out of the beautiful house with the pool he currently lives in and hates his no-good father who abandoned him and his mother when he was a child.

The real problem is that there is not one single person that acts like a genuine human being here. Let's say that you WERE afflicted with this kind of curse and that you couldn't talk anymore. What would you do? Would you go to your psychiatrist just to stay quiet? Would you go to work? Would you go to restaurants and try to order food? Of course you wouldn't, but Jack does. His life is literally on the line and he tries to go about his day like nothing's going on. If you didn't already dislike the character because he's a liar and a jerk, you won't like him because he's an idiot.

Everyone in this film is a badly written moron. Two prime examples are his assistant Aaron (Clark Duke) and his wife Caroline (Kerry Washington). The moment that Caroline notices that Jack isn't speaking to her, she immediately assumes that they are having all kinds of problems. He can't answer her questions and was too stupid to write down on a piece of paper exactly what is going on and keep it with him at all times so here come the contrived assumptions. She thinks his silence means at various points that a) he doesn't love her anymore b) they need to spice up their marriage c) he doesn't want to move out of the house d) he doesn't care about the safety of his son. It's one of those movies where apparently these two people have just met despite being married because there is no trust whatsoever. Next is Aaron. They desperately try and make this character funny and it never works. Clark Duke does his best "black guy" impersonation for Jack and predictably, he screws up all of the business deals. I suppose it makes sense that the dumbest guy in the office hired the stupidest intern to assist him, but it isn't funny, it's infuriating.

Murphy never speaks, so he jumps around miming what he wants to say just so everyone around him can misunderstand in the most ridiculous ways. Jack goes to the Starbucks, tries to order and leaves with CDs, muffins and at least a half dozen drinks. How do you misunderstand directions for coffee into a $68 order? When McCall points towards his head and mimics a gun motion (for three shots) I thought he was telling the clerk that a) he wanted to kill himself out of frustration, which I really sympathized with or b) he wanted the guy taking the order to drop dead, which I was hoping would happen.

Who is this movie was made for? You'd think with the nutty premise that it would be for children, but no. Murphy giving the finger, Aaron talks about strippers and sex in the office, Caroline dresses up like a dominatrix and there's quite a bit of cursing. Maybe it's for adults then? But what kind of adult would be tolerant of Eddie Murphy acting like a mime on acid for an hour and a half? Any adult would also be able to see through the obvious moments of forced sentiment made to have you forget how unlikeable the main character is and would not tolerate this brain-dead story.

I'm convinced that the people who edited the movie and added the special effects knew that this was an absolute train wreck and they did everything in their power to subliminally manipulate the audience into not burning down every print of this film. From the very beginning, if you look closely you can see that in the title of the film "A THOUSAND WORDS" as it fades out, the letters "USA" takes slightly longer to disappear. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think it's yet another subliminal attempt to make you "like" this film. Further proof comes with the ending, which is overly melodramatic and forces in a "nice message" that has no place in this story. It's such a predictable, lazy conclusion that you won't believe they went there.

Like I said, the movie isn't quite as infuriating as say... wearing a suit made of poison ivy, but this movie flat-out sucks. It's cheap, it's manipulative, it's overacted, it's generic, it's not funny. Ever. I can't think of anything good about it, and can't fathom anyone having a good time with it, so it gets the lowest review possible, a 0/5. (On Dvd, June 2014)
½ December 10, 2011
I don't see anything wrong about the movie - well, except the "Billy Madison"-type moment - when it's just a funny, well-performed Eddie Murphy original with some energy. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
September 29, 2014
In the middle of all the clichês of this kind of comedy, 'A Thousand Words' surprises with a good premise and some laughs provide by Eddie Murphy, but don't expect nothing extraordinary or you may be disappointed.
½ September 28, 2014
This is a formulaic comedy that might have felt more at home a decade ago, but it's harmless enough and easy to watch. Murphy plays a fast talking book agent who is struck with a curse: for each word he speaks, leaves fall off a magical tree. Should all leaves fall, he may die. A complicated path to redemption - through some very carefully chosen words - follows, but where the film's intentions, and message, are good, the level of storytelling and writing is not special enough to do the concept justice.
September 13, 2014
Loved it. I cannot recommend this movie more.
September 12, 2014
What the F@#$ was Murphy thinking.....must you sell the last of your integrity so cheaply Eddie????
August 27, 2014
What in the world! What is wrong with people who didn't get this..... so Hilarious and perfect! "a Step in the right direction."

There are elements of this movie that deserve comment. I do not think before this I remember seeing Eddie reach into his personic drunk father bag from his stand up through a real role like this before. I really feel something happening in a healing way with this film. I hope that the negative reviews that it received had not closed the door on this mode of expression in comedy. Comedy needs to release a great amount of anger and reach into forgiveness, it is in that forgiveness that Comedy is born, because it is a attainment of understanding and an alignment with compassion. This vehicle allowed the artist to move through this vividly and expressively in community space without any extra motives.

The movie is excellent for the cast and the viewer equally. It is a jump point kind of film that seeks to expand without diminishing type and cast and for that alone it is brilliant and profound.
August 7, 2014
I really do not understand why people are slagging this movie. It's a great romantic comedy with an engaging and very interesting and original storyline and the acting is fine. I have seen a lot worst than this, need for speed the movie is an example of wasted time that could be spent on doing something else. Very nice film, loved it
September 30, 2012
(First and only viewing - 9/30/2012)
August 1, 2014
A thousand words too many.

Honestly! I actually wanted to see this movie since I like Eddie Murphy! But this is just....wow. I can see why it's faded into obscurity, since this movie is awful!
Having Eddie Murphy as an unlikable central character (which is a personal pet peeve of mine) is absolutely horrible to watch. I hate his character and I wanted to see him suffer.
And watching him suffer was just...not funny. It was just a bunch of nothing happening since, well NOTHING WAS HAPPENING. He couldn't talk, and that's about it! They didn't work with the concept , which is why the comedy fails.
The one redeemable factor in this movie was the climax, which was very touching since our main character had to pick and choose his final words. He had some nice things to say. Props to the script for that.
Then the ending happened and...oh dear. This ending is awful. Just awful.
Don't watch this movie. Let this movie disappear so I will never have to talk about it again.

4/10 Bad
December 25, 2013
Con pocos dialogos la comicidad de Eddie Murphy logra salvar la pelicula. Los personajes secundarios aportan poco a la historia
July 10, 2014
Eddie Murphy in one of his worst roles. "A Thousand Words" is silly and passes no message to your audience. This film can be hilarious, but is very useless and flaccid.
½ July 21, 2014
muy divertida y excelente historia