—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

A Better Life Reviews

Cynthia S

May 16, 2011
Looks at a very real problem with an excellent script that keeps your interest, plays with your emotions, and has some very real insights into a problem incomprehensible to the average American. Shows a son's developing pride for a father who's strength was hidden, even from his son. Academy Award Best Actor nominee Demián Bichir for the part of the father....A very touching film.
Pedro H

May 18, 2011
Every father wants more for his son

Genuinely moving

This subtle dramatic film is extremely powerful and moving. The sincere realistic tone the movie carries allows us to really understand the difficulties the characters go through and cheer for them to have a better life.

Carlos Galindo (Bichir) is an immigrant gardener in Los Angeles who searches for a better life for himself and his son who faces the difficulties and dilemma of entering a gang. The movie realistically portrays the troubles of Mexican immigrants in the United States, but most importantly show a legit love story between father and son.

This movie is wonderfully composed. Weitz uses his subtle and realistic tone to bring out a depressing yet beautiful story. Not only is the story and the style in which the movie is done brilliant. This movie has some of the most powerful performances of the year. Both Bichir and Julian are extraordinary. They develop complex characters and true chemistry, that as you follow these characters steps you hope just the best for them. The movie is composed with emotional scenes that are tear jerkers. In all honesty I felt the Academy Award made a big mistake by not giving Bichir an award.

This movie is great, beautiful and real, don't miss it. Warning! viewers might be exposed to extreme sadness.

Carlos Galindo: " That's why I had you. For me. For a reason to live."
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 20, 2012
Corny telenovela full of one dimensional characters. Next time try to make a better movie.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

February 14, 2012
a touching film. part bicycle thief, part political statement, wrapped in to an engaging father and son story. bichir's performance was excellent and the plot moves along so well. a great film.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 27, 2012
Carlos Galindo: This truck is my only chance to grow this into something big. So we can move out of here and get you in a better school.

"Every father wants more for his son."

Every good parent's dream is to give their kids what they didn't have, and to give them a chance at A Better Life. This is exactly what Carlos wants for his 14 year old son, Luis. Carlos has been struggling as an illegal immigrant gardener and has been raising his son by himself. They live in a less than stellar neighborhood, where gangs rule the streets. As Luis gets closer to joining, his father tries harder and harder to get them out of there. He buys the truck and tools from his previous employer in an attempt to make some real money. Things don't quite work out the way they are supposed to, but the father and son are brought together through the turmoil.

A Better Life is a great father/son relationship film. The film also defines what it means to be father. Being a father gives Carlos something to live for. Without his son, his life would be meaningless. Demian Bichir gives a really good, Oscar nominated, performance as Carlos. His performance isn't one of over the top anger or sadness, even when the events of his life should draw these emotions out of him. His performance is all on his body language, we can see the torment on his face and the sadness in his eyes. While his performance more than likely won't give him an Oscar, he definitely deserved the nomination.

Chris Weitz is proving to be a hard to judge filmmaker. He made his debut with the teenage comedy American Pie. He eventually made the great About a Boy, and then turned around a few year later and made Twilight: New Moon. Luckily, he bounced back from that embarrassment and made this devastating, but somehow uplifting film.

Immigration is a hot issue right now, and you would think since it such a big issue, Weitz would fall back on it more than he does. Sure the fact that Carlos has to deal with possibly getting deported every day of his life is mentioned, but Weitz is really telling a story about a father and son, and not about immigration. He just uses the immigration backdrop to make the story all the more powerful, and it really works.

This is a great movie that really flew under the radar this year. Hopefully Bichir's nomination will get some people to watch the film because it really deserves to be seen.
Fernando Rafael Q

June 22, 2011
A Better Life is director Chris Weitz's (Twilight: New Moon; About a Boy) and writer Eric Eason's take on the life of illegal immigrants in Los Angeles, their work and the upbringing of their bicultural offspring. Weitz, an American with the smallest hint of Hispanic heritage (his grandmother was film actress Lupita Tovar), should be commended for turning in a realistic portrayal of Mexican people. The film's best asset, though, is Demián Bichir, a star in Mexico and part of an established acting dynasty. His slow-burning, understated, heart wrenching performance is already generating Oscar buzz. Breakthrough actor Josà (C) Julián provides great support as his volatile son.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

August 3, 2011
An illegal Mexican immigrant in LA hopes to buy a truck to run his own business while dodging immigration and trying to keep his son in school and away from Chicano gangs. Well-acted; at times a bit too obvious and too virtuous, but a valuable peek at a culture that doesn't make it on-screen very often.
Mark H

July 13, 2011
An illegal immigrant in East Los Angeles struggles as a gardener while raising his son in an increasingly hostile environment. From that simple setup comes this well intentioned drama that is genuinely touching. I wouldn't have thought director Chris Weitz would be able to adjust so far back after directing New Moon from The Twilight series. This is about as low key a production as that overly hyped episode was conspicuous. I have to acknowledge him for making the principled choice to direct something so intimate.

Regrettably, the plot is not the picture's strong suit. It tackles illegal immigration with a story arc that isn't particularly original. El Norte, Maria Full of Grace, Under the Same Moon, The Visitor, and Sin Nombre are just a few of the modern movies that have all addressed the subject with a bit more creativity. It's a well worn topic of late, but it's also material ripe for tragedy. Every one of those features is exceptional. Despite the formula, A Better Life is respectable enough to be mentioned in the same breath. True, the narrative has a tendency to lag in parts, especially in the beginning. But following a life changing hardship, the story takes off. The interaction with his young son produces several poignant moments.

The saga develops into a rather emotionally engaging account. Much of the recognition has to go to actor Demián Bichir who stars as Carlos Galindo, the father attempting to provide for his son. Already a star in his native Mexico, he is probably best known to American audiences for his recurring role as Esteban Reyes, the corrupt mayor of Tijuana, in the Showtime comedy series Weeds. His quietly affecting performance is heartfelt and sincere. It could have easily deteriorated into mawkish sentimentality. On the contrary, his portrayal seems to come form a very real place. It's a flawless depiction invested with honest emotion. I'd have to give him most of the credit for the film's power. He's outstanding.
Kevin C

June 4, 2011
It's a Mexican infused version of Bicycle Thieves. What it lacks in originality and storytelling, it supplies in poignancy and an interesting turn from former Twilight director Chris Weitz who handles the themes, settings, and cultures of the film with great integrity.
Glenn G

July 2, 2011
This wonderfully moving film hit me in just the right way, and yet its pleasures seem to be off-putting to others. Playing like a glossier, updated variation of THE BICYCLE THIEF, this slice-of-life tale of an illegal immigrant gardener who struggles to find a better life for himself and his son, is refreshing in that it doesn't look like your typical grainy, gritty Sundance entry. It's as if Chris Weitz wanted to give the Latino community something beautiful to look at while examining their lives. With two wonderful lead performances by Demian Bichir (towering and subtle) and Jose Julian (perfectly stoic and commanding), A BETTER LIFE really takes off when a theft and betrayal turns our main character's world upside-down. There's an inevitability to the proceedings here that makes total sense once you realize the portrait Weitz is painting of these modern-day Angelenos. This is vital, not always subtle, not perfect, but perfectly moving filmmaking.
John B

January 24, 2012
Complete drivel. This one probably gets an Oscar nod for political correctness. A connect the dots film that probably won't stay in the mind much longer than the credits. Ooooh someone stole my van! Big deal.
Ryan M
Ryan M

November 6, 2011
7.0/10

I despise Oscar Bait; I really do. It's not fun watching filmmakers strip a film of all its artistry and thought-provoking attributes, actually, it ends up rather exhausting. Of course, there is good Oscar Bait ("The King's Speech"), but I still dislike the idea as a whole. If you don't even know what I'm on about and are scratching your head whenever I use the term, I'll fill you in; "Oscar Bait" is a term best used to define a film that tries to be overly provocative and different. Basically, it's crafted for the sake of Academy Awards nominations and pure indulgence. Sometimes, the Academy is blind; other times, they are not.

"A Better Life" certainly feels like it should be Oscar Bait, and given the premise and set-up, I expected nothing more or nothing less. However, I walked out pleasantly surprised; the film was not, in fact, intended as a cheap tear-jerker or an "inspiring" story. It was made with passion, in the caring hands of director Chris Weitz, who has just enough sympathy for his story and his characters to make the film work, in spite of the formulaic road that it consistently walks.

The film is a typical father-son-relationship story; almost completely without twists, but with a few carefully drawn out individual characters, all who make it worthy of a viewing. Both the father and the son are illegal immigrants living in America; the father, Carlos (Demian Bichir), works as a gardener while the son, Luis (Jose Julian), aspires to become a member in a local gang. Carlos dreams of starting their life off new; it's just them, in their world as they perceive it, after all. Luis's mother is not in the picture. So both characters must fend for themselves.

Carlos buys a truck from his employer. With that truck, with a certain amount of money to seal the deal, the father envisions moving out of the city so that he can give his kid a proper education, amongst equally as "proper" people. When Carlos has the truck, he is overjoyed, but in an instant, it is stolen by a fellow worker; prompting the father and son to embark on a journey that will inspire the rebirth of the bond that they once had. It ends on a typically tear-jerker note, with less emotional payoff than you may want or expect, but I have to say; it's so well-made and enjoyable, that it's easy to forget about that one large, crucial element.

Bichir plays Carlos perfectly. As a fatherly figure, he's what you'd expect; but the actor handles the role so, so well; I think if the film wins any awards, then that performance alone should be the thing that earns them. Jose Julian is also effective as the son, but given that he's a teenage boy, the screenwriters would've had to have taken an entirely different direction to make him interesting. Don't get me wrong, it's a good performance from a gifted young acting talent, but the character just didn't reach me, or strike me, as someone intellectual or worth liking immensely.

Still, this is an engaging film; from start-to-finish. I'd even say that for the third act, which is undeniably clumsy and clichéd, but at the end of the day, I still thought it worked. Hell, the entire film works; if that's the right word. It can't be called a mess, as it plays things straight, and for the same reasons, it cannot be called great. If it has one fatal flaw, it is the familiarity of the approach; which, mind you, is still a competent one. There were few problems I had with the film that Weitz has made, which is an all-together MUCH better one than his last project (which was the sequel to the first "Twilight" film). As far as qualities go, it has more positives than it does negatives. It's not for everyone, but it has a charm and appeal that will get it the audience that it deserves.

The filmmaker feels at home with this material, so it flows naturally enough to be effective, and the direction is just fine; but nothing groundbreaking. However, what more to expect from Weitz; the same man who brought us that fine Hugh Grant drama, "About a Boy"? There was nothing "special" about the direction there; it was all in the writing, the acting, and how both of those things mixed together to create something that felt, well, conclusive. The same could be said for "A Better Life", which isn't quite as good, but it's still a character-driven drama, and like the said earlier film, I'd even call it well written. In a world where just about every other drama is sappy, uninvolving, and unrealistically fictional in its exaggeration; here's the kind of drama that comes along, begs for attention, and if things go alright for it; that's exactly what it will get.
SC007
SC007

July 7, 2011
Demian Bichir's performance is the best reason to watch this film. It is an Oscar worthy performance. It kind of reminds me of Peter Fonda's performance in the film, Ulee's Gold. The film is similar to the movie "The Bicycle Thief." The studio should have released this film in November or December for Oscar consideration, not in the summer time.

On the negative, I thought Jose Julian was miscast playing the son. I think another actor in that role would have done a better job. The pacing was also a little bit off. I also didn't like the ending. They should have kept the ending as open ended. They shouldn't have shown what happens four months later. Still the film is worth checking out, especially for Demian Bichir's performance.
Nicolas K

May 23, 2012
I chose to watch it due to the Oscar nomination of the protagonist and indeed I saw a very powerful performance of this stoic and dignified Mexican immigrant in the USA trying to provide a better life for his son. However, outside this notable performance the film is both predictable and full of clichés and thus will quickly be forgotten.
Anthony L.
Anthony L.

March 9, 2012
A Better Life is a emotional journey through the lives of an illegal immigrant and his son. A Better Life is one of the greatest film 2011 has given us. This film has great performances from José Julián and especially Demian Bichir. You need to see this movie because of Demian Bichir. Demian Bichir, who was also in the 'Che' movies, gives arguably one of the best performances this year. In A Better Life, Bichir gets to shine in the leading role and he does exactly that. José Julián who has never acted in a mainstream movie before, gives a suprisingly excellent performance playing Bichir's son. Julián has more talent than almost any popular young actor you can name: Taylor Lautner, Justin Bieber, Ashton Kutcher and the list goes on. I could never know what the director Chris Weitz was going to do with this movie. In 2002 he made a terrific movie and that was About A Boy (Starring Hugh Grant, Nicholas Hoult). In 2009, however, he made Twilight Saga: New Moon (Starring Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner) which is one of the worst films i've ever seen. But luckily for us, he takes this story and he transforms it into an emotional journey for the audience. I also have to give credit to the shots throughout the film. Rarely do shots in a film actually bring out emotion in the viewer. This film really gets you to connect with the characters. If you don't connect with them (which some people apparently don't) then this film is no good. It most likely will get boring for those viewers. On the other hand, if you do connect with these two characters, you really get to feel what they are feeling. Chris Weitz takes you out of reality and even though they never say it in the movie or it is never even said, there is one question that's running through your mind; "What if that was my father and I?". If you don't have this question running through your head then you won't be able to feel bad for them. If you don't feel bad for them, it ruins the whole movie because that is the main thing Chris Weitz is trying to do with this movie. I definitely reccomend this film. Demian Bichir gives a masterful performance, Chris Weitz does what he did 10 years ago with About A Boy and even though I didn't talk about it, the screenplay is quite good.
Christopher H

January 28, 2012
A Better Life is a heart-breaking story that does not tote as being based-on-a-true-story, but might as well be. It follows one Hispanic father's plight to give he and his son a better life (hence the title) by buying a truck and becoming his own boss. The plot is never easy, allowing the viewer to feel the struggle, especially when his truck is stolen. Bichir delivers an award-worthy performance, making it justified that he was nominated for Best Actor by the Academy. The film never comes off preachy and simply makes a solid statement about illegal immigration.
Sunil J

April 26, 2011
Loved this. So emotional and sweet. Demian Bichir was just amazing.
Rodrigo R

October 20, 2011
What would happen if you are an immigrant and steal your truck? This film follows Carlos Galindo, an immigrant who works as a gardener.
The first point of the movie is good to have a fast and falls into the tedious. The script is okay and the acting is good: Demian Bichir does a performance worthy of its nomination to the Academy Awards.
The story is interesting and involves you're tuned to.
The only bad points are the performances of young and some dialogs.