A Fantastic Fear of Everything - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Fantastic Fear of Everything Reviews

June 27, 2014
Jack's a writer with a dark secret. But now his demons are taking over, unless one man finds the courage to fight back.

Not bad of a movie! A Fantastic Fear of Everything is probably not what you're expecting from Simon Pegg. It's not horrifically funny like Shaun of the Dead, as outright entertaining as Hot Fuzz and, mercifully, it's not as tepid as Run Fat boy Run or as stagnant as Paul or Burke and Hare. Actually, it's not very funny at all to start with. Well, it's a journey and if you decide to embark upon it you'll need to see it through to the end to decide if it was worthwhile. A Fantastic Fear of Everything is far from being a perfect movie but it's a solid, enthralling film that hints at the possibility of Crispian Mills becoming a very fine filmmaker indeed and a hero of the off-kilter cinephiles who are tired of Tim Burton's ever-downward spiral and in need of someone new to rely on for their fix of surrealism.

Jack is a children's author turned crime novelist whose detailed research into the lives of Victorian serial killers has turned him into a paranoid wreck, persecuted by the irrational fear of being murdered. When Jack is thrown a life-line by his long-suffering agent and a mysterious Hollywood executive takes a sudden and inexplicable interest in his script, what should be his big break rapidly turns into his big breakdown, as Jack is forced to confront his worst demons; among them his love life, his laundry and the origin of all fear.
½ June 5, 2014
Simon Pegg stars as a neurotic writer who's afraid of everything, but particularly of laundrettes; when he has an important meeting he decides to face his fear and wash his socks. If this sounds like tough material to make a comedy out of, you'd be right, although the offbeat script does the best it can and ends up scoring a few laughs.
February 8, 2013
three stars
May 17, 2012
A little slow, but watchable.
½ June 15, 2013
I freaking love this movie! A FANTASTIC FEAR OF EVERYTHING, somehow manages to balance Simon Pegg's absolutley brilliant and psychotic performance. With a totally unique and absurd visual style that is nothing short of astounding. You really gotta check this movie out!
May 13, 2013
Some nice production work, but otherwise unwatchable.
March 16, 2015
Everything that can got wrong for this shut in who happens to be scared of everything, will go wrong.
½ May 28, 2014
There are glimmers of potential within the conceptual bounds of A Fantastic Fear of Everything.The unfortunate problem is that there is no urgency here.

Jack (Simon Pegg) starts off batty as a loon and the first 2/3s of the movie is him doing his best batty Johnny Depp (esp. Secret Window era, which also happens to be about a writer). Pegg's character is researching serial killers for a tv series he's trying to write. At some point he starts seeing every creak of the house or rustle of the curtains as a killer out to slaughter him. We don't know what that point is because the movie starts with guns-blazing. There's no gentle up-ramping of insanity. It just is.

As such, it starts off slightly novel, but all too quickly becomes droll as we see Jack encounter his own Series of Unfortunate Events. Luckily, despite his best madman act, it seems as though Jack has actually stumbled upon something real and terrifying.

Which is equally terrifying to the viewer since we don't know whether we're wanting to see his paranoia become justified just to cut the drollness of the movie, or if we want to see him end up in a hospital for treatment.

Disparate parts of the movie fly at the viewer, none of them coming together particularly well, and all feeling rather like the director is patting himself on the back. Is there anything worse than a smugly cloy film that isn't good enough to be smug OR coy?
May 7, 2014
if you liked Spaced, you'll probably enjoy this. if you didn't liked Spaced, then i'm sorry but our friendship ends here. Pegg for President.
½ August 13, 2015
though simon pegg is his same old self, FFE is just mediocre otherwise and incredibly boring.
½ June 7, 2015
Though Simon Pegg still pleases and there's some laughs to be had, A Fantastic fear of everything is hindered by a terribly overstretched story and unnecessarily long run time that will turn off many before it's over
½ May 5, 2012
I actually liked it.
March 26, 2015
it had great directing style, and simon pegg was really great in it... it was all working, not knee slapping funny, but great non the less... until the ending occurred. then it all felt forced, with a cliche and un-probable ending. it was a disappointment, but leading up to the last Act, it was pretty good, just didn't have any payoff.
cool music
great cinematography
great directing
amazing style to the entire film
and the production design was also fantastic
...it's just that the story lacked actual plot and ending(but peggs performance carried it through as I was entertained until the end)
December 14, 2014
I'll start off by saying I generally love Simon Pegg's movies. This, though, is his worst movie to date. At no point is it engaging, you cannot relate to any characters, if it's meant to be funny it fails. It only gets 1 star because of the hedgehog story, which was the only good thing in the movie.
December 13, 2013
An entertaining exercise in fear loses all interest in the third act. C-
½ November 13, 2014
i don't know if this was trying to be a comedy, but it was very slow. I really wanted it to end by the time he got to the laundrette, but luckily that's where the movie picked up. luckily Pegg is very watchable. I understand that this was all psychological, but him being afraid of nothing got old quickly. happy that it picked up for the last act and the addition of Sangeet was nice.
October 11, 2014
Eh... It started off well enough. The first forty minutes or so consists of Simon Pegg having a serious neurotic disorder and I found it entertaining as he tried to piece together coincidences so they could excuse his paranoia. The second half of the movie takes a big plunge though. The "foiling the bad guy and getting the girl" ending seemed really tacked on and didn't seem earned or necessary at all. The entire film builds up to all these fears that he is going to have to overcome, but instead that aspect is sort of forgotten in the last act of the film.

I could probably excuse it if it was funny, but the second half wasn't funny at all. The first half didn't have me rolling over with laughter either, but Simon Pegg was so amusing that I was enjoying it.

Can't really recommend this movie unless you're a big Simon Pegg fan. Then perhaps you will enjoy it, but this is far from his best movie and I can't help but be disappointed.
September 10, 2014
I really like Simon Pegg. Not only do I think he's funny, but he's one of the few comedic performers who can properly act. So I'm always excited to see him on screen, but in this case I found myself wishing he was starring in something far less flimsy. In A Fantastic Fear of Everything Pegg stars as a writer who's terrified of the outside world, but must venture out in order to meet with a new publisher. Pegg does his best in this film, but the film is far too thinly written to give him a fully developed character. The plot and narrative are actually worse. The entire film is simply a collection of scenes and plots that Pegg's character spends time in before moving on to the other. Many of the scenes work well enough on their own, but as together they don't work as a cohesive whole. While I was watching the film I was mildly amused and seemed to be enjoying myself, but after I turned it off I realized how little it left me with. A Fantastic Fear of Everything fails to tell a story because it has no clear narrative. It's far from unwatchable but the hugely underrated Simon Pegg deserves better material than this.