A Girl Like Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Girl Like Her Reviews

May 25, 2016
A surprisingly amazing film highlighted by its unique editing style and powerful performances. This is an easy film to overlook but a must-see. A Girl Like Her portrays an interesting take on bullying and explores the phenomenon from both points of view. Hunter King delivers an incredible performance during the final act, which indirectly bonds these two characters and creates unity within the film. Check out this film 5/5.
½ May 23, 2016
Although implausible and overwhelmingly cliched at times, "A Girl Like Her" manages to add new perspectives to an already heavy category, while being also being able to relate to most teenagers out there.

"A Girl Like Her" follows a girl named Jessica Burns who has been driven to the brink of death due to bullying and harassment. This documentary-type film will follow the events that proceeded before and after the incident, bringing out the perspectives of both sides and shedding a little more light on a sensitive subject.

I didn't really know much about this movie going into it, and although I'm all for movies that address the topics of suicide, depression, bullying, etc, I wasn't expecting much. Although most, if not all movies under this category always have the best of intentions, none have really stood out to me this far, and most surcome to your typical cliched events. Although this doesn't follow every pattern of your typical bullying film, it definitely has a few stand out aspects, along with a few that almost destroy the movie.

The main thing I liked about this movie was the realism and the ability to relate to its target audience. Since it's a documentary style movie, a lot of it just feels natural, and a lot of the acting just feels natural too. How the characters react to situations and some of the things they say are things that happen to actual teenagers, such as myself, and they're things that we actually think about. Although I agree with critics that those lines can be poorly written at times and the dialogue is not so subtle, a lot of the characters emotions felt genuine and real. You can just see the impact that this situation has on everyone within the community, and it's never easy seeing suicide kill more than one person.

Now the documentary style helps this movie a lot, but it also hurts the movie a lot. Like I said, it helps bring this genuine realism to the scenes that make this movie even more impactful, but when you start to think about it more, it kind of derails the entire thing. The movie takes place through a little button camera on Jessica's shirt, the handheld recorder in her best friend's hand, and a professional camera crew. Now as I was watching this, I was wondering where some of the shots were coming from. Jessica was in less than half of the film, and her best friend was also in half of the film. For the other half, it's the professional camera crew filming. We see a lot of intimate moments between family members, interviews, and more, but it gets to the point where it'd be a complete invasion of privacy. They film private conversations and private moments of people that actually push the boundaries of what's appropriate. When people are in agonizing pain, this camera crew is shoving cameras right in their faces, and by my account, I don't remember all of these people granting them permission to film them cry. The documentary style was a great idea and unique way to film it, but it got to a point where it felt more intrusive than intimate.

The director of this movie definitely has the best of intentions, but she just so happens to be competing in a crowded field. I hadn't even heard of this film until it was released onto Netflix, but I'm happy I watched it, despite the flaws. I actually feel like this is a film that should be shown in high schools because it's much better than the current bullying films that we're shown. This one just feels a bit more real in a way and it actually delivers its message a little bit better. I can tell the director had a lot of connection to this topic in some way, even if the execution wasn't always perfect.

Again, there's another aspect that has its good and its bad side. This movie can be very emotional in a lot ways. There are a few scenes that are actually really gripping and powerful, primarily the ones where you see the impact that this event had on others. This movie shows that tragedies like this have a ripple effect and it really is a community wide problem. I also loved the fact that they were able to show two completely different perspectives on the situation. They were able to show you the sides of not only the victim, but the bully. This movie helps you gain insight on why bullies do the things they do sometimes and although they may not show it, everyone is hurting on the inside. I loved seeing the dysfunctional family of the bully and the fact that although what she did was wrong, she was lost herself.

Now with the good comes the bad. Although there was some great stuff in here, some of it felt very cliched and unoriginal. The opening shot of the film is Jessica, and she pops in a bottle of pills and attempts suicide. Now, although the idea was there, they executed it in a boring and non eventful way. Emotionless, she just walked up to the medicine cabinet and did it. The entire ending, although gave me goosebumps, faltered after the credits rolled. It felt like it was an empty climax with little end result to show for the message. Yes, new perspectives come to light and all of the feelings come out, but it felt so disorienting and messy. There was some stuff in here that just felt overused or cliche, the bullying included. You can show the severity of bullying without over exaggerating the events, but this movie failed to comply, unable to show how real bullying occurs.

The pacing also had some issues and the movie wasn't always clear as to which time period it was in. There were many moments where they jumped back and forth from time zone so quickly that I got lost and the emotional weight was gone.

In the end, I wouldn't have picked this movie apart so much if I didn't have a reason to. Despite my negative criticisms, I still felt that this was a necessary addition to the genre. Yes it has its glaring problems and yes it has its powerful moments, but the more I think about it, the worse it gets. Still, this is a movie that I think many people should watch and if you have Netflix, I do recommend it.
April 14, 2016
An overacted movie about a super bully that learns her lesson when she is forced to watch herself in action - complete with a bonus happy ending...? This was a waste of time for sure.
January 29, 2016
This ain't your momma's afterschool special. A low budget indie that is powerful enough to ignore the problems...bring tissues.
March 27, 2015
I'll tell something. A girl like her is one of the most intriguing movies of the year so far. Taking a new approach to finding a way to defeat bullies.

What I like

-Intriguing premise
-Strong acting by teens
-Heart wrenching closure
-Intense and realistic depiction of bullying

What I didn't like

-Not the most subtle

Overall score: 7.8/10
½ March 27, 2015
Big Misfire--seems like it should have been kept for TV at best..don't waste your money or time on this extremely preachy...boring film..
½ March 27, 2015
This movie is heart wrenching, emotional and loving. It really tugs at you. It's a must see for high school, students, teachers, administrators and parents. Well scripted and directed movie.
May 25, 2016

½ May 23, 2016
One of the best bullying related movies I have seen. Kinda wish it didn't end that abruptly.
May 19, 2016
all this movie talks about is bullying in the real world reality
May 18, 2016
This PC nonsense will make my head explode.
April 14, 2016
April 2, 2016
This is such an emotional and powerful movie. This should be shown in all high schools. Well done
February 13, 2016
This heart breaking re-emphasis the importance of establish a zero tolerance to bully in public schools
February 1, 2016
This movie is extremely powerful and hit really close to home and I was once in the situation and attempted suicide because of bullies and a bad home life! The fact this movie has been made and depicts what the effects truly are is long overdue! Great movie
½ January 31, 2016
This is a movie that should be shown in every school. Will that end the bullying no but if the message gets through to even one bully in each school, society will be improved immensely.
March 29, 2015
AMAZING! This movie should be mandatory in ALL middle/highschools.
January 29, 2016