• R, 1 hr. 26 min.

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

June 11, 2013
Handsome. Brilliant. Heartbroken.

The movie obviously had a lot of potential but the execution is horrible. It has a few funny moments but they're way too few and far between. It would be easy to blame all of the movie's failings on it's star, Charlie Sheen, but it was mostly, most likely, it's writer/director's fault. When working with Anderson Coppola has shown some skill but he obviously wasn't ready to helm a movie like this. I truly hope his next project is much better than this.
Christian C

May 24, 2013
Pathetic. Is Sheen still high?
Kevin C

January 17, 2013
Feels like the first draft of something that could be really great; receives extra points for a terrific (arguably too smug) ending.
Dann M

August 5, 2013
Beyond awful, Roman Coppola's A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III is an atrocious piece of garbage. The tragedy of it is that the film has a great cast that features Charlie Sheen, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Aubrey Plaza; who are all exceptional comedic actors. But, the story's monotonous tripe and the characters are dull and uninteresting. A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III is a vapid and senseless film that seems to drag on forever.
August 9, 2013
It would take little more than a "glimpse" of A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III to determine whether or not one will enjoy or even 'want to watch' this odd quirky cinematic bauble that is being disguised as an art house drama starring a struggling-to-be-credible Charlie Sheen ("winning!") as a man going through a midlife crisis when it is actually nothing more than a muddled, pretentious, self-absorbed vanity project giving Sheen an opportunity to try to again fool the masses into believing that somewhere within that empty shell of a human-being lies an ounce of remaining talent. It is ironic (and unfortunate that he doesn't get it) that Sheen himself has overplayed the "fool me once/fool me twice" playroom scenarios that make up some of the plot of this film. Charles Swan is a successful graphic designer (read artist) whose love/hate relationship with his girlfriend has (again) come to its end ... and he doesn't know whether or not he should end it for good this time. Charles is supposed to be a fully-functioning adult but his problem-solving skills appear to be non-existent as he goes from one video segment to another. The major problem ... we just never care for him as he is aloof and detached and HE appears to never really care about anything going on around him. Roman Coppola -- Francis Ford's son and Sofia's brother who is also known as a producer of films (Somewhere), a Hollywood screenwriter (he was nominated for an Oscar for Moonrise Kingdom) and a random music producer -- directs the film with no urgency ... and it sadly shows ... although he has apparently lucked-out in the acting depart by calling in a few acting favors from his family and Dad's pals. Actors such as Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray (Rushmore), Patricia Arquette (Ed Wood), Dermot Mulroney (Zodiac), Aubrey Plaza ("Parks & Rec"), Mary Elizabeth Winstead (The Spectacular Now), Katheryn Winnick (Killers), Colleen Camp (Clue) and Stephen Dorff (Somewhere) work the film's shots alongside world renowned supermodels Angela Lindvall, Bar Paly and Maxine Bahns. The film is just all of these things/scenes put together with little-to-no clarity. It is a mess and no effort is expended in fixing it. Fool us once ... fool us twice ... fool us a third time and a fourth etc.
March 7, 2013
Oh what could have been. A Glimpse Inside The Mind of Charles Swan III marks the feature film debut of screenwriter Roman Coppola (brother to Sofia, son of Francis), a frequent collaborator with Wes Anderson. It's hard to view anything on display in this film as original when so much of it seems cribbed form Anderson's aesthetic. The whole thing reads like a script Anderson would reject. Oh and it stars Charlie Sheen. Yea, that guy. Sheen is a guy mourning a break up with the women he loves (Katheryn Winnick). That's basically it. The rest of the film and how it goes about utilizing that premise is self-absorbed, and with Anderson regulars like Jason Schwartzman (Coppola's cousin) and the great Bill Murray co-starring, the whole thing just has the vibe of private party we only get to watch instead of enjoy. With one too many fantasy sequences. It's a dud.
January 20, 2013
I thought his first attempt as Writer/Director (2001's CQ) was brilliant, but this film failed on so many levels. It was like a poor attempt at pretending to be Wes Anderson with a washed up lead who's trying to channel Woody Allen. Sorry, Roman.
May 22, 2014
A nice film to watch on a Sunday afternoon when you want some great actors in a decent movie.
May 2, 2014
A fascinating mess, Coppola's surreal dark comedy is an odd specimen. Its story and characters are paper thin and ludicrous, and yet, the dream sequences and visual style give the film a sort of entrancing watchablility.
March 16, 2014
Overall boring and pretentious? Yes, but the set pieces and the cutesy ending can't be dismissed.
January 8, 2014
Jesus, why did I bother?
November 21, 2013
Charlie Sheen plays a graphic designer who descends into utter misery after his girlfriend leaves him. There have been some arguments in favour of Roman Coppola's A Glimpse in the Mind of Charles Swan III that have called it a misunderstood tribute to seventies film. However, there is very little to admire in a film that is uncertain about whether it wants to be deadpan or childish - so in the end it is just cardboard. On top of that, its general humour is rather weak and filmmaker doesn't appear skilled enough to give the drama any relevant importance. The saddest element of all, however, is Charlie Sheen. Not only his perhaps premature casting in a role that feels like a surrogate of his own 'controversial' lifestyle often feel very uncomfortable, but it's even worse to see the embarrassing rare instances where the film requires him to act - particularly when we remember that this is the same man who once starred in Platoon.
mrmattfield21
November 10, 2013
This film is great fun, it has Charlie Sheen in a role he was born to play, which makes sense as he has lived that life.
Pablo Eterovic
July 19, 2013
Es difícil entender lo que Roman Coppola quizo hacer con esta tragicomedia. El director, conocido principalmente por sus trabajos con Wes Anderson, presenta a Charlie Sheen como Charles Swan III, un diseñador que entra en una verdadera crisis al terminar con su última novia. Buena banda sonora de Liam Hayes.
October 11, 2013
I don't get why this film was so torn apart. Charlie Sheen's performance is charming and honest. This is a wonderful, whimsical film.
Barthélémy C.
September 7, 2013
Sympa et drôle! J'ai aimé!
August 13, 2013
I really wanted to like 'Charles Swann III', but I couldn't bring myself to doing so. Being a fan of almost everyone behind and in front of the camera, including the controversial Charlie Sheen, it pained me that I didn't enjoy it like I thought I was going to. The film relies heavily on its idiosyncrasy and psychedelic quirkiness, but it never fully forms into a drama, comedy, or anything in-between.
Sean Michael Smith
July 16, 2013
A Glimpse Inside The Mind of Charles Swan III is the perfect example of a promising premise gone awry. At first glimpse, any art house fan would pop an excited grin at the names Coppola, Murray, Schwartzman, and a possible comeback role for the lovingly hate-able Sheen. Coppola - one of the many that make up the famous filmmaking Coppola family - visibly takes his tenure with Wes Anderson to heart and screen; the result being an awkwardly-artistic yet uninterestingly self aware expansion to the iconic look Roman brought to the table while he was the assistant director of The Life Aquatic (2004). Though at times the film accomplishes somewhat visually, the screenplay suffers without the charm of Coppola's writing counterpart - once again - Wes Anderson. Sadly, the glimpse we're given into the mind of Charles Swan III is not compelling in any rendition of the word. We're not given a character who exists on the hate/love spectrum. We're given a shmuck who only simply exists. To use The Life Aquatic as a further example, Bill Murray plays a constantly bland character who purposefully throws himself into terrible conditions just to have something happen in life. In "Glimpse", our titular actor gives us a character void of any depth. We see nothing. We are given nothing. There is so much painful nothingness in Sheen's performance that almost every promising aspect of the film is nullified - even with the help of the unswayable Murray. All in all, if you are interested in the negative side to flop art, give this film a try. But, as films on the shorter side go, you just might just find yourself 'glimpsing' a little too long. Viewer beware.
Dann M