20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

A Little Bit Of Heaven Reviews

Spencer S

February 2, 2011
There is nothing even remotely heavenly about this romantic dramedy. Kate Hudson as Marley is a bland, often trivial character who's growth and emotional fortitude are always followed by pithy whining. Nothing truly dramatic is handled with any care, the bits trying to be charming are insufferable, the characters are weak, and the plot is beyond boring. For a film about a woman changing her ways of thinking about the world amidst a cancer diagnosis, there's no depth, no human empathy. It's just a silly little comedy trying to be bigger than it is and failing again and again. In the end what's the point of the entire film? Yes she reacts, she changes her love life, her relationships evolve, but because she's such a horribly written character no one cares. The film tries to make light of cancer without showing the real world repercussions of cancer treatment and slow decline into death, which loses any depth or reality.
Cynthia S

July 9, 2012
Seriously people....why did you all dislike this movie so much? It was sweet, heartwarming, and just plain enjoyable. Granted, I adore Kate Hudson, and Gael Bernal, which is just a small part of why I found this movie very, very nice. The entire movie was very well done, really good cast, and had a sweet (but sad) storyline. A rather nicely made movie overall, in my opinion.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 27, 2011
Life starts now.

Good movie! This film was ballsy in a number of ways, chief of which is in its treatment of a story about death without shirking from the nasty details of anticipation, and the inevitable execution. Many Hollywood films tend to cop out at the very last minute, but this one tackled it with a lot of dignity, and proved that one doesn't have to always compromise to do what gets reflected in real life. That, and Kate Hudson showing a lot of nerve in many scenes almost sans makeup, looking quite ghastly and pale as the story called for it. Written by Gren Wells, it's more about how one should approach life when given a death sentence, with the romance angle taking a back seat despite marketeers' efforts to skew this into a romantic comedy. And in some ways this film made me think a little bit more about mortality, if one were to be struck by a serious illness which was detected late and the treatment really being a bitch, would you want to go ahead with trying to get cured, or to live whatever is left to the fullest? Think about it!

Marley Corbett (Kate Hudson) is young, beautiful, and wildly funny, but she's afraid of opening herself up to true love and commitment. Though she uses her humor to prevent matters from getting serious, a life-changing visit to her doctor (Gael Garcia Bernal) sends both of them on an eye-opening adventure of mutual discovery, leading to revelations neither thought possible.
Nicki M

January 7, 2012
This was pretty average. I was a little disappointed with it, as I read a few good reviews, and, though it wasn't awful, it wasn't as good as it could have been either. I didn't really like the "heaven" bits - I thought it was a bit of a cop out. Sure, try and find some positives, but not make it seem like she's happy and all is okay in the end.
Kate Hudson is okay, she plays pretty much the same character as always. I at least give her points for trying to do something a little different, but I'm not sure it is entirely successful. I did like Gael Garcia Bernal, although seems he was slumming it a bit here.
All in all, a sad "feel good" movie about a young woman fighting cancer. Not an overly realistic film - I can't really recommend it or otherwise. I am sure some people will enjoy it, while some won't. I am on the fence with it. Didn't love or hate it.
3niR
3niR

October 22, 2011
Another "okay" type of movie. Though the ending is different. Like it is happy but in a sad way (if that makes sense... I can tell it doesn't). I didn't get one thing, if you're a dying person, what would be your first wish? Hmm.
PantaOz
PantaOz

November 26, 2011
This is a movie for certain type of audience... and I am definitely not that type. The story of Marley Corbett is hard to chew... she is a carefree woman with a promising career, great friends, and witty sense of humour... and one day she learns that she has terminal cancer. A young doctor, Dr. Goldstein, is deeply impressed and affected by the way Marley accepts the news of her fate with humour and dignity. From there, Marley and Julian find themselves falling in love, and doing their best to make the most of the time they have left.

I tried to find some positive points in this movie... and after long thinking maybe I can say that the last third of the movie was up to some standard... for the rest, the director Nicole Kassell and stars Kate Hudson and Gael García Bernal failed to impress. Flat, unrealistic and at moments boring...
mingsysar
mingsysar

July 8, 2012
This film is better than it looks as Kate Hudson is a sheer force if life. What happens to her is made all the more powerful because of her performance. It made me cry! The reactions of family and friends are incredibly realistic. The only bum note is Whoopi Goldberg...
toobaahmad98
July 3, 2014
I cried but not because it was so sad but because it gave a spark of love and happiness that will always be cherished as life goes on.
August 21, 2013
Wow. Tearjerker... A sweet movie, bordering on depressing. You want to hate the lead for being so self-centered and rude - yet can't help but love and feel empathetic for her, given what she was going through... and *spoiler* she has a realization, makes amends and then dies "happily" and at peace in the end. Pretty cliche.
moviegirl50
August 28, 2012
Depressing movie where Kate Hudson's character is dying. I didn't appreciate the sleazy jokes, language and lifestyle, but that's just me. Sometimes sad movies can be done so well that you can take away so much after watching them, but this didn't do much for me at all. There were a couple of redeeming things but mostly a downer for me.
Hamee
May 10, 2011
This movie takes a very sappy and feel good approach to dealing with terminal cancer. The appearance of Whoopi Goldberg was a nice addition. If you don't take your movies too seriously this one is worth a watch, but it has nothing significant to add to your life.
June 21, 2012
It's Kate Hudson as a woman dying from cancer and learning to live, live live! It's no more in depth and intriguing than the usual rom-com crap she's become known for. If anything needs to die a quick death it's the movie.
May 4, 2012
This movie needed to pick a side of the fence and build a house. Is it a romantic comedy about a free spirited girl looking for the right guy, or a touching film about a young woman dying of cancer and trying to do so with dignity. Sadly (for all of us!) it fails miserably on both counts.
cappieforpresident
April 3, 2012
The fact that it was so sad, surprised me. I sobbed like crazy. However, it was also funny. I liked it.
May 29, 2014
A Little Bit Of Heaven benefits heavily from Hudson's appeal but also from the stark realism. Sure the movie is predictable and oftentimes downright to cheesy to be true but it is extremely watchable(multiple times) and down to earth, something that can't be said of the vast majority of movies today. And Peter Dinklage, enough said.
Fherp7.15
May 23, 2014
Una pérdida de tiempo. En esta película nada es concreto.
May 15, 2014
gael che cazzo fai. 0 stelle nel cuore
Romeo H.
April 15, 2014
Have few enjoyable moments, "A Little Bit of Heaven" lacks chemistry between it's leads, momentum, honesty and humor (when it tries to be funny), all due to a sappy and stale love story
March 23, 2014
it's just an ok movie...
Dave J
January 15, 2014
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

(2012) A Little Bit Of Heaven
ROMANTIC DRAMA

Dumb and pointless which doesn't tell me nothing since it's sort of like living on fantasy land starring Kate Hudson as Marley who's happens to be living a normal regular life with a great job working for an ad agency. Her world then turns upside down once she finds out that she has an 'Irritable Bowel Syndrome' or colon cancer, expected only with a few months. And during one of her dreams she meets Whoopi Goldberg playing herself, which she grants her three or four wishes. And upon waking up to reality again, much of her dreams started to come true such as wanting a million dollars, and finding true love which she predictably does that with Gael García Bernal who plays her doctor.

You know one of the things I hate seeing is when movies cave in to such BS when in reality most cancer victims don't even have the same kind of luxury as the Kate Hudson character portrayed in this film. I know many cancer victims and it's nothing like the Kate Hudson character at all for a portion of them donate money for more research and so forth, and in this movie she rejects it which are clinical trials since she wasn't treated earlier. Watching this movie is like the pretentious right wing view which if you're wealthy this is what you can do but does not reflect real life. Watch "50/50" instead starring Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

1 star out of 4 stars