A Lonely Place to Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Lonely Place to Die Reviews

½ January 29, 2016
By the numbers thriller that isn't quite at the level of movies like Cliffhanger and Ransom. There are some beautiful shots, but the movie is overall forgettable.
½ January 19, 2016
Wasn't what I was expecting it to be about at all. Storyline wasn't thoroughly explained though and I did have to wikapedia what was going on. But overall a good film, with good twists and turns.
½ June 16, 2015
What starts out as a pretty decent mountaineering thriller soon turns survival horror movie and would have done well to keep it that way. The plot is abandoning the beautifully filmed Scottish Highlands way too soon just to add an urban showdown that feels so random, it's almost an entirely different film. Of course you can say at least things are never too predictable, but the way the scripts treats a couple of characters is pretty lackluster. Still, entertaining enough.
May 30, 2015
Oh wow - great cinematography, constant action, and Melissa George. You think it's over, and it's not. I cannot recommend this movie enough.
May 21, 2015
It has it's moments, especially early on, of suspense, visuals, and good concept, but as the chase wears on, A Lonely Place to Die becomes largely inconsistent in setting, atmosphere, situation, and logic which results in a mostly unfulfilling movie.
April 16, 2015
Great momentum and thrill from the start to the end. Character development could have been better so that audience can feel sorry for their plight.
½ March 30, 2015
An very good idea with some good stunts and great visual backdrop of the mountains. But the films looses interest once they are back into the town. but still worth a watch
March 21, 2015
The scenery is the star.
March 12, 2015
Interesting horror movie from Scotland (aww yeah), but it's way to predictable to be really exciting. It also features Ed Speelers who is more of a joke than an actor.
½ January 12, 2015
Whilst lodging in a remote cottage in the Scottish Highlands where they are practicing there sport, a group of mountaineers, out on route to there daily training location, make a terrrifying discovery. They unearth a young girl from a subterranean confinement. They quickly and correctly deduce she has been concealed there for a ransom. The bad news is that the kidnappers are not to far away, and they are none too pleased that there valuable commodity has been removed from where they placed it. Already displaying a penchant for callous and sadistic murder, they set off in pursuit of the rescuers.
A film that is split in two between an excellent and disturbing chase thriller and a disappointingly poor later part. The division being the arrival of the chase survivors at the police station. It is, as if after a gripping murderous pursuit through the remote Scottish Highlands, the writers have been devoid of any real, original idea of how to progress the story beyond the point of arrival of the survivors at the police station.
We get an unintentional homage to the earliest days of cinema, we are "cut to the chase" and have an unintelligent shoot-out. An attrition of vertually all the characters until there are less than a handful left.
Only in the scenes of negotiation of ransom, and the closing scene, when we learn that the leading kidnapper has more than met his match for being brutally sadistic, does the film lift itself from the depths which it should not have been allowed to descend.
Sean Harris excels throughout as the dispassionate kidnap leader.

Three people - A wounded man, a frightened woman and a 12 year old child rush into a police station and declare that they want to report 3 murders committed by people on the loose with rifles, the police response is: I'll make you a drink each whilst we wait for a police car to take you to Inverness (how many hours away?) where you can make a statement. Like they are reporting some teenagers graffiti being daubed on a bus shelter! The credibility of the story got a bit lost here.
January 17, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
Francisco G.
December 1, 2014
I was quite enjoying this flick, thanks to a well pulled mystery, to our heroes being no dummies, experienced mountaineers and to some glorious vistas. Then, it gives one too many twists and they're not exactly fully satisfying. Still, it's entertaining enough while it lasts, featuring a shitload of things happening at all times, making good use of its strengths, hiding most of its flaws away in the process.
November 26, 2014
Disturbing plot, rather violent, but with some great Scottish scenery.
November 16, 2014
This film was definitely an intense thriller. But the real gem of this film is the gorgeous photography and long panning shots of the Scottish Highlands. I really loved how the film opens with the cast and crew credits superimposed on the beautiful Scottish landscape.
½ November 12, 2014
At the end of the film I was disappointed, but not because this was a bad film, but because it was not what I thought it was going to be. This is a classic, 80's style, action thriller. It is not a horror movie. That being said, there is a lot to like. The cinematography is absolutely astounding and the director knows how to create likable characters. Also, the writing is good by very cleverly justifying certain "dumb" decisions. I can't go any further in fear of spoilers, though. Unfortunately, there were some times where I felt the individual parts did not create a well crafted whole. Music often did not fit the scenes in parts, and the director wasn't confident in how he shot certain action set pieces. It all felt a little...experimental. The film is by no means a failure, but I am more interested on what the filmmakers can achieve in other films.
October 16, 2014
If you only see the first ten minutes of this film, you'll watch it
½ September 29, 2014
Another British underrated thriller that will grip you throughout. With tremendous execution of cinematography but lacks of story telling thinking this would have been a potential suspense killer.
July 14, 2012
An average thriller/horror movie, with plot holes. It starts off good, but then the story gets kind of unrealistic and silly. I loved the the parts with the mountains and climbing, those were the most thrilling pieces of the movie.
The cast was alright.
August 29, 2014
definitely want to see more from the Gilbey bros
½ March 29, 2014
Really good and action packed!!! The suspense is awesome and some of the imaging is grueling especially any time someone falls. I really enjoyed it!