A Monster in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Monster in Paris Reviews

January 2, 2014
This is very sweet and beautifully animated, not sure why it was so under the radar...
3niR
½ March 2, 2012
Loved this animation. Really recommend everyone to watch. Great movie to watch with your family.
June 10, 2012
There's always something fun about watching an animation that doesn't come from a big studio. A Monster in Paris is a charming little CGI animation that mixes the traditional Disney fairytale formula with romantic French gothic literature such as Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Dame. Two bungling friends make a delivery to a scientist who is out of town, his ape butler invites them in and they start messing with his formulas. They accidentally create a large Flea monster that escapes into the night. As people begin to fear the monster, a young singer discovers he is gentle and has an exquisite singing voice. But the police commissioner is already on the trail, hoping the slaying of he monster will bring him fame and fortune. The animation is wonderful, if sometimes a little stiff, and the character designs are very enjoyable. I was also very impressed with how the film mixes bright colourful daytime scenes, and then hints at darker horror with fog filled nights. The relationships between characters are built up nicely, and there is more going on than in your usual animated family film. Towards the end it shrugs off the darker tones for more family friendly slapstick, and exciting action adventure chases. This is where it kind of betrays those tragic love stories, but I understand this is for kids.The songs range in styles and quality. It was fun to hear the voice of Sean Lennon as the monstrous flea. He has a very distinctive style, far removed from his late father's. It's one of those films where all involved should be proud, but may wish to take some greater risks in the future.
ascordeiro108
½ January 1, 2014
A giant flea ...
The story is nothing special and most of the characters are forgettable, at best.
½ November 29, 2012
What starts out as an interesting mixture of francophilia and post-B-Movie eeriness quickly derails into a formulaic and bland family adventure that lacks finesse and interesting characters. Of course, a giant flea sound like something but what is the point if the film just copies other animated movies page per page. And do not get me started on the singing ... I am sorry, but Vanessa Paradis and Sean Lennon in a super falsetto duet is nigh unbearable. Bland and generic, skip this one. The animation is not on par with big budget production, which is fine if you can even the odd knack out with vision or art direction but the film does not do anything of the kind. Instead, we get clunky animations and lots (lots) of stretched textures and empty, liveless spaces.
½ November 14, 2012
oh, France, you're going to have to do a lot better at animation if you want to compete with Japan or America.
June 5, 2015
very engaging, even my 3 year old Gdtr was touched when the flea was singing his sad song. All the music was great. the whole concept and execution was top notch and distinctive
½ January 6, 2015
This movie is super strange and being a teenager I feel I am way to old for this demographic but the animation was really impressive and the story was oddly charming. I've watched it many times and it never grows old. I remember my jaw dropping while I was watching it for the first time when halfway through I realized it was about a mutant singing flee. It was very weird but I love it. I'd love more movies that were as sound as this one. It isn't hard to be original AND good!
½ June 23, 2014
This movie was adorable.... I never thought I'd say that about a movie where the plot is about a giant flee with the singing voice of John Lennon's son.
March 3, 2014
How have I not seen this movie before now? Great story, animation and music. You need to see this!
January 27, 2014
Fun French adventure with all the right elements: humour, romance, pursuit, singing and a tinch of alchemy ;) heartily recommended above the Disney fare...
January 14, 2014
Beautiful animation and a ho-hum story yet A Monster in Paris is strangely appealing and worth a shot for fans of artistic foreign animation. Kids might become a bit bored but the sublime animation will do enough to keep older kids and adults awake.
December 19, 2013
It starts almost too slowly and quietly, and there's a raw, unfinished quality to the whole production, but this is a really good animated film. There is a bit of Up in the way the film gets you to love it's quirky characters, and each gets enough attention that they're worthy of your affection. Only the villain, who falls well short of Gaston, or even Clayton from Tarzan holds the story back from the top echelon. The music truly shines, something I've seen little of in animated films since the halcyon days of Alladin and Beauty and the Beast.
November 25, 2013
My kids love this movie! It has an interesting plot and a happy ending. The music is catchy and tends to linger on in my head long after the credits have rolled. If you question a movie about a giant flea being worth your while, believe me when I say it is worth it!
August 28, 2013
The movie is fun for kids and teaches you to look beyond what you see in a person or bug in this case. Good lesson wrapped in an entertaining French story.
½ September 16, 2013
Men want the women that want me.

In 1910 Paris a monster is born during a botched lab experiment. The monster is an insect in some ways and very human in others. The monster is very talented at singing and playing music. One day he encounters a beautiful singer down on her luck and he falls in love. The monster teams with the singer to change the direction of her career for the better.

"What's a dragon doing in Paris?"
"What's a dragon doing on Earth?"

Bibo Bergeron, director of The Road to El Dorado and A Shark's Tale, delivers A Monster in Paris. The storyline for this picture is very good for the animated genre. I thoroughly enjoyed the animation style which was very unique and fresh. The voices were also well selected and included Vanessa Paradis, Mathieu Chedid, and Ludivine Sagneir.

"I needed a flea to show me the way."

I came across this picture on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. My daughter, girlfriend, and I watched this together during family night and we were all thoroughly impressed by this picture. As I referenced above, this film has a unique style and animation that is very refreshing and the story is fun to watch unfold. I strongly recommend seeing this picture.

"Where you see catastrophe, I see opportunity."

Grade: A
July 27, 2013
In and of itself the plot jumps (like a flea, HA!) around from familiar cliche to familiar cliche and you just have to go with the absurd happenings in the plot kind of like you would with Spongebob going to the beach in Bikini Bottom. That all doesn't matter though- the musical performances and songs are haunting and absolutely beautiful, and I could listen to them over and over and not get tired of hearing it. Anyone who is a parent can relate to the significance of that when their kid wants to watch a movie over and over again. Without that though I may have only rated it like 2 stars at the most.
½ July 8, 2013
I wasn't really expecting the songs to be that good consiering this isn't a Disney/Pixar movie. But I was pleasantly surprised with it. The animation was beautiful and the story was a twist on a classic Frankensteain-ish tale that kept it intesting enough.
½ June 5, 2013
What an pleasure this was to watch! We were mesmerized by the storyline, characters and original music. Quite different and a refreshing change from the typical Disney & Pixar high tech animation.
½ June 14, 2013
Though it has an innocent taste of simplicity in its craft, and it borrows from many famous works, A Monster In Paris stumps on editing, characterization, and overall feels like a silent short film being stretched into a noisy feature length