A Serious Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Serious Man Reviews

September 15, 2015
I liked it, but I'm not sure why.
October 12, 2015
Hard to get, but seemingly intelligent and darkly funny but also a bit nihilistic and misanthropic. Why do things happen? Or do they happen for a reason? Makes fun of the empty "help" and "advice" religious leaders offer. I didn't really understand this movie, and it was kind of depressing.
½ March 6, 2010
The Coen brothers chose the perfect actors for this hilarious farce, their most personal work to date, which splendidly combines dark humor and Jewish existential questions, and I can easily imagine them saying that, if not even God gives us all the answers, why the hell should they?
June 13, 2014
I'd be lying if I said it didn't take some thought, but the cohesive story the Coen brothers have crafted here is quite a good one.
½ November 27, 2009
Felt this film stirred a bit away from the conventional Coen Brothers style onto a much serious and darker tone. It still works on some level.
March 7, 2010
100306: An interesting movie that kept me quite entertained at times. Some quiet laughs. The ending seemed confusing at first and I had to go back and watch it again to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. The movie does not end well for Larry Gopnik I?m afraid.
½ July 22, 2015
"A Serious Man" is hard to describe, but it is easy to get into and can best be construed as a dark and dysfunctional parable.
½ August 23, 2015
This is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. It's stupid, it doesn't make sense, and it's nauseating to sit through. DO NOT WASTE a small shred of your life watching this piece of crap.
½ August 19, 2015
Has an interesting premise but the rest is a series of uncomfortable situations the main protagonist encounters where every situation ends before it even starts, failing to provoke laughter or entertainment.
August 18, 2015
A typical Coen brothers oddity but then again, when has that ever been a bad thing?
June 17, 2012
Cohen Brothers most mature film without a doubt, maybe not as funny as others, but the inner drama and the dark humour are accurate, and the existencialist questions it asks are truly compelling
½ July 14, 2015
Filme chatoooooooooooooooo.
½ July 1, 2015
A Serious Man is so weird and full of characters that are meant to be despised yet the Coen brothers and Deakins handle the film with such grand subtlety that it is almost impossible to turn away from.
October 26, 2014
The Cohen Brothers Semi-Autobiographical Piece Of American Life. Full Of Jewish References, It Won't Resonate With Everyone, I Certainly Struggled To Get It. Felt A Bit Tragic At Times, In A Good & Bad Way..The Musical Score Works Well In Parts, But Overall This Felt Like A Really Lame, Lost Episode Of Seinfeld.
August 5, 2014
This is honestly one of the strangest and intellectually mature and somewhat uncomfortable films I've seen.
I do not fully understand it by any means, but the more I think about, it the more I grasp and appreciate it.
The Coen Bros. really did something different here.
A Serious Man is one of the Coen Bros. better films.
Re-Rate: 8/10 (B+)
½ June 9, 2015
This was the worst film I've seen this year. It's seriously bad. A serious waste of two hours that I'll never get back. It is by far the worst Coen brothers movie I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them (I usually enjoy them too). Characters aren't funny, just unlikable. The plot isn't interesting, just painful. Do yourself a favor and stay away. I'm serious. I'm a serious man.
June 5, 2015
Best movie I ever saw. Masterpiece
May 26, 2015
Very subtle humor. A little dark and a little boring.
May 19, 2015
Il se passe plein de choses dans A Serious Man. Des choses plus ou moins intéressantes, parfois extrêmement ennuyeuses, parfois cocasses. Dans l'idée, les Coen ont fait un film où rien n'a de conclusion et c'était sans doute drôle sur le papier. Il aurait peut-être fallu éviter de nous le dire ouvertement au bout de 30 minutes pour qu'on puisse s'apercevoir de la blague nous-même. Et expliquer une blague, c'est le meilleur moyen de la planter. Et c'est ce qui arrive à A Serious Man, un film si intelligent et calculé qu'il en devient assez pénible, à défaut d'être ennuyeux. Michael Stuhlbarg, Fred Melamed et George Wyner sont plutôt bons. Le reste beaucoup moins.
½ May 15, 2015
This Coen Brothers film sadly never got the recognition it deserved. Michael Stuhlbarg is spectacular in the leading role. There is a great going on in this very dark comedy. Brilliant.