• Unrated, 1 hr. 17 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

A Teacher Reviews

June 3, 2014
Pretty bad not gonna lie. I didn't even watch the whole thing, I just fast forwarded through the boring parts which was like the entire movie. The majority of the movie is just poor choices of music that play over scenes where no real action is taking place. Like bad and loud music will play while the teacher is looking at the sunset for a long time at least 5 minutes-- just staring. That's not a good movie.

There's also no plot to this movie. There's a teacher and a student that are hooking up. But we don't know how the relationship started which probably would've been the most interesting part of the story, but no we never find that out. We just know they are together. They hook up occasionally and that's really all that happens until the very end when the teacher loves the student so much she goes to his house and his father finds out about their relationship. Then the student sells her out and she gets fired from her job. Actually we don't even know what happens because the movie ends with her getting a phone call from the principal saying "hey you're gonna need to come in to the office we have a student here and his father". So we never know what happens. We just know she gets really sad and goes back to bed.

The acting was horrible, so horrible at least the high school boy had okay acting skills. Although he looked more like a college student than a high school senior. He was way too ripped and built to be a high schooler. And the movie itself was just so poorly done I can't even begin to describe it. Half the scenes were done in the dark so you can't even see what is happening. Other times the camera stays on one angle the entire scene and its so BORING. The script sucks ass so what they say is not at all the least bit interesting. It's just a horrible movie overall. You can tell the director tried to be artsy and have a "underlying message" and capture the "intensity" of the forbidden relationship between the student and teacher, but he fails miserably on all accounts. There's no artistic value in this or underlying message, and with the shitty acting there's not much chemistry between the actors either. The director uses weird ass music and holds on shots wayyyy longer than he needs to, but none of it works because the director had no fucking clue what the hell he was doing. Whatever "emotion" he was trying to capture didn't work because there's no emotion. It's just a bad movie.

In the end the only real message from this movie is common sense: Teachers who sleep with students will get fired. There's no need to watch this movie because you probably already knew that.
April 25, 2014
A Teacher takes the gasp-awe taboo of teacher-student romance and puts it on center stage. Conceptually, A Teacher is highly engaging and has a lot to say. Unfortunately, the execution of those ideas never gets off the ground.

The viewer is flung right into the fray. Diana, an AP English teacher at a public high school, is already in the throes of a relationship with student Eric. While the movie never specifies how long they've been together, it can be assumed that the relationship is already sexual before the camera captures anything. On the one hand, this allows us to see the relationship for what it is at the outset, without our perspective getting colored by knowing characters (and yelling at them for bad mistakes, etc). But the trade-off is that we are flung into this scenario without any emotional attachment. And the movie never tries to bring us up to speed. It's like a kid relating a story: "And then we got into my SUV. And then we had sex in the back seat. And then we cuddled. And then he left. And then I missed him. And then I texted him. And then he texted me back."

They story gets conveyed, but it is always holding the viewer out at arms length. We see the effects on both Diana and Eric, but without any kind of glimpse into their mind to help lead us along. Sure, some if it can be assumed. Eric is a teenager. He's liking the sex. He's liking having a relationship. Perhaps he likes the weird power exchange, something he seems to drink up in one weird scene where he wants to get physical and Diana doesn't.

But to an extent Eric feels like a secondary character. He's The Romantic Interest, but the focus is almost entirely on Diana. And she is a tough cookie to crack. There are a lot of interesting surrounding details that seem to point at issues in her life, but none of them are explained. There is an interaction she has with her brother that hints at family troubles, but there's never any resolution there. There is her general inability to fit in with her peers--she's a fish out of water at a party, for example. Her feels like a cog that doesn't want to fit anywhere. Nowhere in this life machine seems to provide a comfortable slot for Diana. So maybe that's what the relationship is; a place she feels she can put her cog. But the weird thing is that even that fails to fit her. Her existence outside of work is either having sex with Eric or sitting around her apartment by herself, scrolling through Eric's Facebook photos. Again, larger issue being pointed to.

Some of this happens in the latter part of the movie where she seems to go crazy. In fact, Eric says that at one point. But her actions feel less like craziness and more like addiction desperation. Put her next to a junkie trying to get a fix and there's very little difference. In fact, replace Eric with a needle and you could make a very similar movie.

And if the movie had been able to bring all of these disparate issues into focus to provide a reason for her relationship or some sort of psychological viewpoint we could see or understand, A Teacher could have been an astounding movie. Answer the questions of why she acts like an addict in this relationship. Why is her family reaching out to her, but she's running from them. Why, why, why! But none of these things get touched on with any kind of resolution. Nothing happens to make us say, "Oh, Diana makes sense now!". Instead they just exist as glimmering fools gold; half-baked ideas that are meaningless.

And without this psychological understanding of Diana, all we as a viewer is left with is what the movie gives us: a story of a relationship that keeps the viewer at arms length until the end.
October 14, 2013
Hannah Fidell's new film, A Teacher, says it is "part psychological thriller" and "part provocative character study" although it never really becomes either as the incredibly short Sundance film (74 minutes) doesn't develop its central character with any layer of psychosis beyond what the audience sees skin-deep. It is "provocative" in that Diana (Lindsay Burdge - First Winter) is a young teacher who finds herself attracted to Eric (Will Brittain), one of her minor students; but even provocative becomes the wrong word when the main character appears to have no semblance of acceptable vs. un-acceptable behavior. Our teacher is completely devoid of rationality ... and that is the film in a nutshell ... the base relationship moves on to the next level each time she advances it. The film's literature implies that the teacher knows what is acceptable in society but there is no evidence (in the movie) that Diana ever sees what she is doing as wrong. She actually becomes more upset if she believes the pair might have to pause between dalliances and at one brief moment when Diana fears they might have been discovered she hysterically questions what that other person might be saying (the fault being that other person's ... NOT what Diana was possibly caught doing). This is what the film gets VERY wrong ... she is just a bad seed nobody would really befriend. The movie pretends there is a moral compass somewhere in the movie; but there isn't one. There is very little moralizing here and it shouldn't pretend that it is something it is not as Diana's character never wrestles with what NOT to do ... she wants more of it and more of it and more of it. There is never a call or cry for help ... Diana unravels ... and I wish it had happened sooner!
weinian h.
August 31, 2014
The sex scene were great.
The plot take secrecy as the driven and pushing the boundaries of what the couple can do "sexually" by adventure outside of the school and apartment.
The exploration of the back story of how the relationship was put in suspend on the teacher having psychological issue.
The male actor was portrait again as this armature and "heartless" individual, with all the "rights and protective" being younger and being student from this "psychological illed" teacher.

The director lacks the exploration of the shaky bits of how one will deal after the secrecy breaks out. social media exposure of the relationship was briefly touched.

It can be improve when a male character grows with the story. Hence, it can push the dimensions of ideas that allow the audience to think more the issue.

By standard, this movie illustrated the emotional state of teacher dating student in high school setting. But the complication can touch the controversial issues, is ethically right or wrong for such case to happen.

If in the future the director continue to explore this dimension, she should visit the possibility of having a male teacher and having the relationship with the female student. And do they really going through the same pattern, where the younger have to be armature and be to put the story more complicated. Violence, break through in psychological understand of each other and the feelings of the two are intermingled. (i.e. maybe secrecy was an issue, one grow out of it, the younger one think more than just sex, what happen, the "intelligent" of both parties accelerated. and what if both are committed to the relationship, even when the public found out. The movie can also argue that the audience will have their set of moral and judging when touching the issue. and how the laws may only touch parts of this issue. and how judges will exploit their law expertise to deal with cases like this. )

There is an interesting case when the teacher break it off with the teacher. technically at that point the relationship is end, and the wrongs have done. and the right situation have began, and the aftermath intertwined back to a wrong situation. how the jurisdiction will view complications for this due to sub-plots of righteous.

Larger scale, this can viewed in relationship where one end have larger at stick.
Say a married couple, married couple with kids, teacher-student, work-affair.
All of them comes with greater consequences when things break. They all stem on uncertain of relationship and the outlook of the relationship outcome. People's judgement of right and wrong, and stereotype of how one's will get hurt. when there is 1/2 * 1/2 of chance that a new relationship is form correctly. And the married is slightly complicated in that is not a job, but rather breaking of existing relationship.

The physiological dimension then become : will the relationship uphold of time, how many people get hurt. The same pattern of utilitarian of predicting the outcome base on how relationship is formed.
August 27, 2014
I watched this movie after reading of it's more dark and gloomy elements, hoping that it wouldn't be just another film glamorizing female statutory rapists or sympathetically portraying female ephebophiles who have "affairs" with their students. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and even though things indeed don't turn out well for "poor little Diana," it's hardly shown as a comeuppance for her illegal and perverted actions. In this movie, the teacher isn't the predator, the student isn't the victim, and if anything, it's portrayed as the other way around. Realistically though, this is rarely the dynamic of a real-life teacher/student "relationship," and this kind of "Look! He's not the victim, she's the victim!" representation doesn't do society's already overly-tolerant perspective on female sexual predators any favors.
August 21, 2014
An erie look at a very confused and emotionally distraught character. Ultimately, however, the film would have been far more effective if each of these characters had been more developed.
August 9, 2014
So much, too much, was alluded to but never explored. The movie lacked depth, the writing was lazy - the dialogue forgettable and uninteresting.

June 3, 2014

April 30, 2014
Very compelling drama about the dangers of obsession and letting one's emotions get the better of them. Also a very underrated film. But definitely not a film for everybody. Very tragic.
April 29, 2014
The film is completely devoid of any complexity whatsoever, and the two main characters are unlikeable and unsympathetic (especially the titular teacher). Just about the only good thing I can say about this film is at least she gets whats coming to her in the end.
April 28, 2014
Slow-moving and overly dramatic but I guess that's the point. Uhm, thanks for using my school's real announcements advertising the Nat'l French Contest with me, Madame Simon. I wonder how permission was gained to use these? It's embarrassing being associated with this subject matter.
September 13, 2013
A character study should at least be interesting, this teacher and film is not.
scottfrench2
September 5, 2013
I'm flabbergasted by the negative reviews. This is a fine film, complex study of a women in over her head.
September 3, 2013
great performance for Lindsay Burdge is enough to watch it.
August 31, 2013
Vellykket (og nærmest ubehageligt) lille drama, med thriller-undertoner, om en ung lærerinde, der indleder et forhold til en af sine elever. Burdge er intet mindre end sensationel i hovedrollen, og selvom filmen kører lidt i cirkler undervejs, forbliver den en fængslende rejse mod de katastrofale konsekvenser, af det forbudte forhold.
August 28, 2013
A Teacher is a great thriller film of the ages. The deep relationships that are showcased through this dark story are amazing and the actors do a great job of telling the story at many levels.

Though it is many young teen boys fantasy that they would be able to date one of their teachers one day, this film showcases the dark side of what really happens in these situations. Lindsay Burdge does a great job playing the teacher in love and Will Brittain is just enough of a cheesy teen, but also enough of a repressed spoiled teen, that he sells the story.
August 28, 2013
I want to see this only for the curiosity factor and if I don't have to pay a lot for it, all the better. Looks like total sleaze.. but I need to see what all the festival fuss is about. You hear so many headlines regarding teachers having affairs with their students. Salacious to say the least