Critics Consensus: A-Team, Karate Kid Reboots Both Not Too Bad

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a pair of 1980s reboots, one featuring a band of ragtag mercenaries (The A-Team, starring Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper), and another with an aspiring martial artist (The Karate Kid, starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan). What do the critics have to say? Don't you love it when a plan (or, in this case, a remake) comes together? And since we're asking questions, is there anything wrong with a big dumb action flick every once in a while? The critics would likely answer yes to the former question, but on the later they're largely split. Back to Article

Comments

Matthew M.

Matthew Moran

I'd go see one of these two, but I'd rather have the money for Toy Story 3 in IMAX 3D.

Jun 10 - 07:26 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Agreed, considering that Toy Story 3 will be vastly superior to almost everything that has since come out this year (at least in wide release).

Jun 10 - 07:32 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

With all respect but Mr T hates any movie that has a rating higher than PG.

Jun 10 - 07:37 PM

Alec D.

Alec Dmowski

A-team looks like campy fun, Karate kid looks like ****, because apparently Kung Fu = karate... lol. And Chan has lost all reputability after the spy next door. Don't forget Jaden Smith is probably the worst child actor since/and or before Miley cyrus.

Jun 10 - 07:57 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

I thought they already remade Karate Kid. It was called Never Back Down.

Jun 10 - 08:01 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

And a great, fun remake it was. Djimon Hounsou as Mr Miyagi. Classic

Jun 10 - 09:10 PM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

Haha, I thought the same thing when I saw Never Back Down, I was like, "I'm surprised they even bothered to change the names!" since they were obviously working off the same script.

Jun 11 - 09:09 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

LoL. Good to know Im not the only one. What a ****ty summer for movies its been so far.

Jun 10 - 08:14 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

Except for 'Iron Man 2' even though it wasn't as good as probably expected at first (ever since when).
It was still great.

But yes, indeed it's been kind of "slow" or... not so great with "summer-movies" up until now.
I think they expected for example 'Robin Hood' to be all the "huge epic" film of this time. XD

Just to give a comment on this movie though, which I haven't seen:

I saw the trailer and I went like "The original creators wish they could do all that!".
I mean like, a tank floating from a parachute and then shooting a gun on top of it to the bad-guys? XD
Then again, I think this is typically a movie that might have some resemblances but is still too different and "too much".
Take that last 'Knight Rider'-series for example, it's way too much, it tries too hard to be all awesome and gives it the wrong effect.
I mean, who really seriously watches that compared to how many people over the last DECADES watched the original series time after time?

Jun 10 - 08:49 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

Oh and actually, I've also been waiting for 'Toy Story 3' for years.
They're just so fun and... you know, they're great.
The teaser-trailer alone was inventive. :)
Doesn't have to be all violence or action or whatever.

Jun 10 - 08:51 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

No Fresh, you're not the only one. Toy Story 3, Inception are the only two movies I'm looking forward to. The Last Airbender is a VERY distant third place simply because I'm curious to see how Shyamalan handles an epic adventure, but I still fear a lousy script and sub-par acting from it.

Jun 11 - 08:05 AM

chewie louie

L B

This. What Soulfinger said.

Jun 10 - 08:39 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

The Day The Earth Stood Still was still terrible, even if he wasn't in it.

Jun 10 - 08:46 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

It was still great.

Just to give a comment on this movie though, which I haven't seen:

Jun 10 - 08:49 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

Oh and actually, I've also been waiting for 'Toy Story 3' for years.
They're just so fun and... you know, they're great.
The teaser-trailer alone was inventive. :)
Doesn't have to be all violence or action or whatever.

Jun 10 - 08:51 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

Oh and actually, I've also been waiting for 'Toy Story 3' for years.
They're just so fun and... you know, they're great.
The teaser-trailer alone was inventive. :)
Doesn't have to be all violence or action or whatever.

Jun 10 - 08:51 PM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

I must admit that I'm very surprised that Karate Kid has done this well. I was expecting its rating to be much lower. The A-Team's rating was around where I was expecting. I'll probably check them both out this weekend. But to be honest, next weekend is what I'm really excited for:
-Toy Story 3 which will be amazing in every sense of the word, end of discussion.
-And Jonah Hex looks alright, I have a great respect for Josh Brolin, he's criminally underrated. And well even if she can't act, Megan Fox is still a prostitute in that movie.....

Jun 10 - 08:54 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

Here's a funny thing:

At first I thought Liam Neeson wasn't cast right for this.
And also the two actors for 'Murdock' and 'Face' were the wrong away around.
Because one of them looks more like the other actor's character than the one he actually plays.
Which is kind of annoying...
I think it's the guy who plays 'Murdock' who rather looks like the original 'Face'.
And the guy who plays 'Face' was only cast because of his "looks" or something.
Stupid...

Then I saw the trailer at the cinema and it turns out I was right about that.
And Liam Neeson instead was a lot more similar to the original than expected.
The guy who plays 'B.A.' seems more like a happy kid though... I don't know...

Jun 10 - 08:57 PM

gmoney E.

gmoney Esparza

the guy who plays B.A. is rampage jackson and is most deffinately not a happy kid.

Jun 11 - 03:39 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

I actually just meant the way he acts as B.A., not him personally.

Jul 10 - 02:16 PM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

Funny, I'm from the same year. :)

But I can barely a remember a time when the A-Team wasn't on TV.
There would always be a channel that would show it, up until a certain time.
But then recently it started running on this specific channel again.

Then again, I didn't really follow it, I grew up more with something like 'Knight Rider'.
I absolutely loved that, but I would have freaked out if they did a cross-over with 'The A-Team' or something like that. XD
In a good way though...

Jun 10 - 09:02 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Mr. T is a pansy. He promotes wholesome things these days like eating right, staying in school, and not settling disputes with your fists or guns etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but he's hardly an authority on action flicks.

Seriously, he thinks A-Team has too much violence and action.

Mr. T's idea of an A-Team remake would have people violently throwing their popcorn at the screens, missing & hitting others, infruitating them and fights breaking out, culminating in riots outside theaters nationwide.

I REFUSE TO BE A PART OF THAT!

I'm gonna see it on friday and judge it for myself. I've enjoyed both Narc and Smokin' Aces so Carnahan gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Jun 10 - 09:02 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

And a great, fun remake it was. Djimon Hounsou as Mr Miyagi. Classic

Jun 10 - 09:10 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Will see both these films. Loved their respective source materials and will most likely enjoy the latest films.

Will say that Jaden Smith has been getting at least some praise for his performance in The Karate Kid, so hopefully he will have made leaps and bounds from the TDTESS.

Personally, I really think we should give the kid a break, he was acting alongside Keanu Reeves afterall.

Jun 10 - 09:18 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Wait, when its a remake of a 80s classic big stupid action is good but when they're adapting a video game big stupid action is bad? Double standard much critics? I'm not saying Prince of Persia was a high quality film but at least it was entertaining for what it was. Maybe I'll just stay home this week and watch some more Legend of Neil until Toy Story 3 comes out.

Jun 10 - 09:27 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Of course its a double standard mate. Nostalgia is involved. Why do you think Die Hard 4.0 has a Tmeter of 81%?

Jun 11 - 01:01 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

I hate to think what movies will be considered classics when this generation starts remaking them.

Jun 11 - 06:21 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

die hard 4 was good but silly movie

Jun 11 - 09:37 AM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

I can't wait till the next decade when they start remaking properties from the 90's into movies. Haha. Coming soon: Gargoyles, Captain Planet, Gummi Bears, Tale Spin, Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain, Tiny Toons and Bobby's World. Im kidding about most, but Gargoyles and Captain Planet COULD end up being pretty badass.

Jun 10 - 09:35 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Captain Planet? Wasn't that just Al Gore painted blue in a speedo?

Jun 11 - 06:22 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

no, Actually it was ted turner's creation lol

Jun 11 - 09:40 AM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

Gargoyles with motion capture CGI would be awesome. Captain Planet as a comedy could have potential.

Jun 11 - 09:12 AM

M.C.P.

Todd Bruther

Ha, ya get Keith David back to do Goliath's voice as well!

WE LIVE AGAIN!!!

End of Line

Jun 11 - 01:06 PM

Amliss V.

Amliss Vess

Can't stand the kik myself. His mother looks like a tranny

Jun 10 - 09:50 PM

Leave It To Weaver

Robert Weaver

Tranny? well she's certainly a gorgeous looking tranny. cant stand her hubby or That kid.

Jun 11 - 04:24 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Why? Because they didn't sign an autograph for you or something?

Jun 12 - 08:30 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I'm surprised Karate Kid has a 60% T-meter, I thought it was going to be terrible. I might have to see it now. As far as the A-Team goes, I'll probably see it as well, but I'm not expecting anything more than a dumb action flick.

Jun 10 - 11:06 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

It was in the mid 50s last night. I'm also suprised it has increased to fresh territory, but basically the critics have been saying its a decent which main fault is that it follows the original plotline (which was already formulaic even in 1984) too closely. Plus Smith and Chan's chemistry isn't as good Macchio and Morita in the original.

I'm saving my time and money for Toy Story 3 next week and it seems many people posting here agree with me.

Jun 11 - 04:48 AM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank