A Very Long Engagement - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Very Long Engagement Reviews

½ September 7, 2015
Touching, beautiful, and a small treasure.
February 10, 2013
This is precisely the kind of situation that makes me want to write movie reviews. A strong word of advice to whomever may read this review prior to watching "A Very Long Engagement," ridiculous as this may seem, take notes when you watch this movie...ESPECIALLY during the first 15 minutes. I am not exaggerating when I say that there are about 20 different characters whose stories are all intertwined, and if you are to connect the dots you need to remember which names are associated with which characters, and unless you have had a great deal of exposure to French names then most of the names will feel foreign to you which will only exacerbate your inability to keep track of who is who. Furthermore, almost all the men have facial hair and military uniforms, so that makes it even hard to remember which one is which.

I know, it sounds extreme, but watch it with enough light in the room to take notes, jot down what names are associated with which professions, who had the German boots, whose girlfriend is whose, etc. If I were to criticize this movie I would criticize it for having an excessively complex plot (note that I am not). I am just promising you that you will indubitably enjoy this movie more if you keep up with the story and its intricate spider-web of characters, professions, relationships, assassinations, etcetera, aaaaaaand you are certainly going to follow better (at least enough to not get lost half way through) if you take notes. I finally stopped and started over after an hour because I just couldn't keep track of to which characters they were referring every few minutes. If you heed my council and take notes, one hour into it you will be studying them to make sure you are understanding, and you will thank me and never doubt my advice again. I loved this movie.
½ May 12, 2015
Many of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's trademarks are here; quirky characters, absurd reveries, Audrey Tatou, labyrinthine plot machinations and coincidences, a rich green and gold colour palette, wonderful cinematography... there's a lot to like.

But it lives up to its name; this felt a lot longer than its 2hr 13min. Maybe it's the sheer number and variety of plot twists, but I kept thinking that scene after scene would be the final one, only to realise there was more to come. It's a mish-mash of styles, with striking war sequences set against whimsy in ways that don't always work.

Not without flaws, as Mark Kermode might say, but worth your time.
March 15, 2015
A surreal,inspring post WW1 drama where love never give up.Charming Tautou
February 5, 2015
A poignant movie with marvellous aesthetic and actors, depicting france during the great war through the struggle of a woman
July 29, 2008
I have seen it again, and I have got amazed again by this wonderful story. Not only a thrilling testimony about the WWI, based on a consistent book; not only Jean Pierre Jeunet doing it perfectly again, with those yellow and brown filters, and his marvelous secondary characters and little details that were so brightful also en Amelie; not only Jodie Foster making such a delightful role; even more (now I realize) the two more on-fashion actresses of France, acting together, with also a great work from Ulliel. In summary, a film you must not loose by any circumstance.
November 24, 2014
It has the customary touches of a Jeunet film, and it is my favorite of his works. The shots are gorgeous, the performances match the tone of the imagery perfectly, the soundtrack is glorious, and the storytelling takes a very simple story of enduring love and tells it with an incredible invention.
½ January 4, 2013
The love is frighteningly beautiful, and the war is beautifully frightening. But the movie lasts only 2 hours of your life. You beg for a deeper meaning, but there is little. Maybe to not give up, or to believe, or to have hope? But then, for many characters in the film, there isn't those at all.

I'll learn my lessons elsewhere, then.
½ July 11, 2014
In the likely scenario that people in the 1st world never have to worry about war separating them from the ones they love again, I will be eternally grateful.
July 6, 2014
A powerful and emotional war drama from French auteur Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Audrey Tautou leads us through an engaging and well-crafted story which sweeps us into the world of its characters, whom are established and well developed as the story progresses. The film itself is visually arresting with stunning cinematography. It was actually Bruno Delbonnel's visuals that acted as one of the man aspects that allured my interest in the film, it's a visual powerhouse blending the gritty conventions of war with scenes of a more romantic and dramatic style. A harrowing and emotional account of World War I from the perspective of French soldiers and civilians.
June 7, 2014
Au-delà du personnage principal extrêmement irritant et du filtre sépia constant et fatigant, Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles pêche surtout par sa structure, suites de témoignages très courts (à la différence de Rashômon, par exemple) comico-dramatique, qui provoquent des ruptures de ton assez problématiques et des passages qui avaient plutôt leur place dans Amélie Poulain (cette propension de Jeunet à se souvenir des "belles" choses du passé devient répétitive). Pour une Chantal Neuwirth ou un Dominique Pinon, un Ticky Holgado excellents, il faut aussi subir Marion Cotillard, Dominique Bettenfeld ou Gaspard Ulliel. Sur deux heures et quart, ça commence à faire très long surtout quand les scènes de guerre font aussi toc. Le style de Jean-Pierre Jeunet ne se prêtait peut-être pas à ce récit. Il en reste que certaines séquences sont particulièrement réussies.
April 11, 2014
The arrangement of the narration annoyed me. But this picture had it's every moment that unforgettably "satisfying"
January 19, 2014
A story of undying love.
December 3, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 27, 2013
this is a love base on the true story and the man have to go war.
March 2, 2012
A very Long Engagement is a beautiful and bitter-sweet movie exposing the brutality and the beauty of life. Intertwining passionate scenes of madness and cruelty, with hope and love, this movie sends the audience on a roller-coaster of emotions and thoughts; at what point does hope meet shear stubbornness? The cast is perfect, the music is wonderful and the direction of the film is classic french. The story itself seems a little chopped and dismantled, but the climax of the film places a nice gentle seal on the disfigured piece. This film is cute in its representation of the fight for lost love.
July 13, 2013
Just perfect, beautiful fotografy, nice Audrey
April 17, 2012
:\ did nothing for me.
June 5, 2013
This film simply shows a little spark of hope could do a far greater deal than what it's worth. Just great.
½ May 27, 2013
'A' for effort and uniqueness. Good acting. A mildly charming romantic flick.

The piece-meal approach to the storytelling makes it difficult to get a grasp on the characters and the quickly developing plot - so the viewer isn't able to completely get lost in the storytelling.