Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Reviews

DrLappos
½ May 23, 2008
Corney as hell but I loved them.
½ February 26, 2008
Should have been better, I love when A & C meet monsters, but this is probably one of the lesser of their monster films.
April 29, 2013
Funny if not hilarious little film with some great moments and gags. Abbott and Costello as always are the best at what the do, getting laughs.
September 4, 2009
Yet another film combining Abbott and Costello with one of Universal's earlier horror film characters. As American cops involved in an exchange program in London, the duo are fired for their incompetence. Intent on redeeming themselves, they vow to catch the serial killer who has been plaguing the streets. When they finger a prominent doctor as the murderer, no one takes them seriously until it is verified by a news reporter. A chase across London then ensues. Strangely Dr Jekyll is just as evil as his alter-ego.
October 27, 2008
There are, if you're curious, [i]nine[/i] movies starting with "Abbott and Costello Meet." (That's if you count [i]Abbott and Costello meet Jerry Seinfeld[/i], which you probably shouldn't.) Any one of the lot would be a good Christmas gift for Graham, whose fondness for them actually surpasses his fondness for Francis, the Talking Mule. (Really.) I don't mind 'em, either, but I can't really take a great amount of it at any one time. You see, while they're not as funny as the Marx Brothers, they follow a lot of the same patterns as the Marx Brothers--there is a lot of wackiness from Abbott and Costello, but we're also supposed to care about a romantic subplot between two people we've never heard of before. There's more structure to hang the story off in some than in others--in both cases--but I think the important part is that the Marx Brothers' hilarity is simply funnier.

Abbott and Costello play Slim and Tubby, two of the most unlikely policemen in Victorian England. They don't even try to make it believable in any way. They're just sort of there, and the movie must work around it. At any rate, "The Monster" is terrorizing London, and if they can capture it, it will make up for the fact that they're not actually good cops. They encounter the lovely "Vicky" (really--she's played by Helen Westcott), a music hall girl who has Dr. Henry Jekyll (poor Boris Karloff) as her guardian. Because any respectable doctor of the Victorian era would be [i]thrilled[/i] to have a ward on the stage. Abbott and Costello trip over the evidence that shows that The Monster is really Dr. Jekyll (I'm not sure he ever gets called Mr. Hyde), and hilarity ensues.

Dr. Jekyll is a much darker figure here than he is in the book. (Of course I've read the book!) He is actually, as IMDB points out, willing to become the monster for the express purpose of killing someone, a thing the Dr. Jekyll in the book would abhor. It's true that there [i]are[/i] victims in the book, but Dr. Jekyll doesn't do it on purpose. It's the subconcious that is projected into Hyde. Jekyll here plans to kill Bruce Adams (Craig Stevens)--and didn't these people know [i]anything[/i] about Victorian names?--because Adams intends to wed Vicky, which Jekyll wants to do. Jekyll took the serum so he could do things of low taste--like attending music halls!--not so he could have revenge on his enemies. Jekyll didn't [i]have[/i] enemies.

Everyone I know (except Graham, of course) only really seems to know Abbott and Costello from the "Who's on First" routine, and that's certainly a good place to start. Better than their World War II military films, which were only an odd sort of propaganda in the first place. When I was in high school, our school newspaper featured a review of [i]Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein[/i] because one of the kids in my journalism class wanted to review "something unusual." (He became a huge Abbott and Costello fan after that.) It's sad but true that they haven't aged well. Oh, better than Mae West. But not well.

Graham loves Abbott and Costello, and the opportunity to review a ton more of these movies is certainly there, especially on weekends, when we pretty much just watch what he wants to watch. I just don't think I want to do too many of them at a time. We'll probably have one Friday--it'd be nice to do something a little spooky for Halloween, and [i]Full Metal Jacket[/i] is the wrong kind of scary--but I don't expect to do Abbot and Costello over and over again until we're done with all of them. Or even just the other eight "meet" movies. But, yes, perhaps we'll throw one in every once in a while, when Graham isn't interested in my Netflix or anything I've brought home from the library.
July 8, 2008
You are in for a full belly laugh when Abbott and Costello get on the screen, and this one is no different.
September 11, 2007
This movie suffers from a poor script that takes great liberties with the legend of Jekyll and Hyde and some very contrived involvement with the title stars. However, its nice to see the comic talents of Abbott and Costello turn it all into enjoyable fun.
July 26, 2006
this one waws funny. kinda stupid, but it was funny. the way they made mr. hyde look monkey-like was kinda weird, but w/e. they didn't have special effects like they do now.

[center]* * *[/center]
[center] [/center]
[left]we watched another Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie, but i don't remember which one it was. that one, i give another 6.5/10. good, but not the best. when dr. jekyll 1st transformed into mr. hyde, he looked like a messed up fez from that 70's show. haha. [/left]
[left] [/left]
[left]coming soon: dr. jekyll and sister hyde ((heehee he turns into a girl!!))[/left]
½ March 10, 2005
A FAILING ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE SUCESS OF ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, IT SIMPLY DOES NOT HAVE ANY OF THE CHARM OF THAT EFFORT. THERE ARE SOME TYPICAL AND AMUSING ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SCENES, BUT TOO FEW AND FAR BETWEEN
½ June 28, 2013
I don't really like Abbott and Costello ... or rather, I don't like their slapstick side, and that's mainly what's on display in these later films. This one's pretty okay though ... largely due to Karloff. He can't help but class up the joint.
October 5, 2013
A fairly stupid Americanized version of the classic English tale. Everything but the Abbot and Costello moments were annoying or boring or frustrating. Not enough laughs.
½ June 20, 2013
A very amusing movie!
April 29, 2013
March 26, 2013
was a very funny movie.
½ February 15, 2013
Laughs, Lunacy, and Karloff--Almost their last hurrah!!
January 1, 2013
Very funny. I'm glad to have seen this movie.
½ November 25, 2012
Not a good movie, but its fun and has its funny moments.
½ November 24, 2012
freaking funny movie, it had me laughing.
August 21, 2012
Not the best of the A & C monster movies, but still a fun time. Karloff, as always, is a treat to watch, and Lou's childish panic attacks will leave one in stitches. However, the only scary thing about this movie, is the budget. Rather than the wonderful make up jobs we have seen on Karloff in the past, here we get a very cheesy looking rubber mask, that doesn't even move its lips. Don't expect the boys finest work, and one can enjoy this ghoulish romp.
June 8, 2012
A nod to some oldtime comedy