Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas Reviews

May 12, 2012
WOW......WOW......WOW......WOW.......WHAT A MOVIE.......MAN I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that forrest tucker (.R.I.P.), peter cushing (.R.I.P.), Maureen Connell, Richard wattis (.R.I.P.), Robert brown (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this action/adventure/horror/classics/sci-fi/fantasy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch.....sure it is cheesy in some scenes but this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch.......

Like Cushing, Arnold Marlé and Wolfe Morris reprised their roles from The Creature as the Lama and Kusang, respectively.

its got such a great cast throughout this movie......

Remake

In November 2013 a remake of the film was announced, with President of Hammer Films Simon Oakes saying of the project "The success of Let Me In and The Woman in Black has shown that there is an appetite for quality horror films so it is exciting to draw on Hammer's unparalleled source material in this genre which can be reimagined and updated for a new audience." The film will be written by Matthew Read and Jon Croker.

man this is such a gripping movie 2 watch, its got such a great cast throughout this movie......

The Abominable Snowman (US title: The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas) is a 1957 British horror film directed by Val Guest. Made by Hammer Film Productions, it is based on a 1955 BBC television play, The Creature, written by Nigel Kneale, who also wrote the screenplay adaptation for the film. The plot follows the exploits of a British scientist, John Rollason (played by Peter Cushing), who joins an American expedition led by glory-seeker Tom Friend (played by Forrest Tucker) to search the Himalayas for the legendary Yeti. Maureen Connell, Richard Wattis and Robert Brown appear in supporting roles.

man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, it such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
March 26, 2015
Fun to think cinemagoers used to be scared by this sort of stuff. Expedition into the Himalayas finds Cushing and Tucker seeking out the Abominable Snowman for different reasons. Some strange casting with the Cushing role needing to be a bit more robust and Tucker a bit stereotypically American and probably an attempt by Hammer to attract overseas investment and audiences. Atmospheric at times and other times laughable with a silly monster who briefly appears(thankfully).
½ January 28, 2014
(42%)
Much like a certain amount of these early Hammer flicks this has more up its sleeve than what you might at first think. Without wanting to ruin the plot at all I will only say that it's not simply about a man in a big hairy suit chasing Himalayan explorers around a wobbly set filled with fake plastic snow. Actually some of the location work is very good, certainly better than even most modern movies set in extreme conditions. This honestly is not recommended for everyone, as it is showing its age in places, but Hammer fans should certainly give it a look as it is quite well made, and better than most B-movies from this period.
½ January 9, 2015
Visually pleasing, but overall predictable and bigoted.
½ March 21, 2014
Hammer had been producing films for years before this one, but Hammer Horrors as we know them we're still very much in their infancy at this point. Even with Peter Cushing the lack of style and appearance that became key to the companies success in this genre is not here, and the fact it is in black and white does not help if you are aware of the very colourised iconic sets that became a staple in future years. This one looks cheap with cheap acting around Cushing.
January 14, 2014
A classic and amazing early Hammer horror that is imaginative, suspenseful, and with a great monster. This is Hammer horror at its very best.
January 2, 2014
Another solid Hammer Horror as Peter Cushing and team set off in searh of the yeti.
October 31, 2013
I'm back there as bait?

An American and a man from Britain lead an expedition into the Himalayans in hopes of discovering the infamous yeti. The two men have very different motives for why they want to find the yeti. As they get closer and closer to accomplishing their goal, men start disappearing. Are the yetis taking them, or is there another reason why they are dying?

"I am certain I heard something."
"What, outside?"
"Listen...a sort of cry..."

Val Guest, director of Casino Royale (1967), The Day the Earth Caught Fire, The Quatermass Xperiment I & II, The Boys in Blue, and The Diamond Mercenaries, delivers The Abominable Snowman. The storyline for this picture is just okay and a bit slower than I hoped for. The action scenes are far and few between and this movie is more about isolation than the monsters. The cast delivers above average performances and includes Peter Cushing, Forrest Tucker, Maureen Connell, and Robert Brown.

"What's at the end of the line, a circus or a zoo?"

I DVR'd this picture this holiday season because it starred the great Peter Cushing and I always DVR every Vincent Price and Peter Cushing picture I have not seen...and this movie fell on that list. This was an above average horror movie with a great ending. I would have liked to see some more action and some more of the yetis; but overall, I'd recommend seeing this once.

Grade: C+
½ August 21, 2013
I thought the adventure film was only passable when it should have been more exciting.
January 28, 2013
Less than average typical 50's horror/sci-fi film.
September 6, 2012
Produced by Hammer, adapted from a BBC TV play from 1955 called The Creature. Hammer turned to veteran director Val Guest, who had brought The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) and Quatermass 2 (1957) to the big screen for them. It's an effective film, which is more of an adventure/survival film than an out and out horror film, but there's some good actors in it. In the mountains of the Himalayas, Dr. John Rollason (Peter Cushing), his wife Helen (Maureen Connell), and assistant Peter Fox (Richard Wattis) are on a botanical expedition, staying at Rong-ruk monastery ran by Lama (Arnold MarlĂ (C)). A second expedition party, led by Dr. Tom Friend (Forrest Tucker) with trapper Ed Shelley (Robert Brown), photographer Andrew McNee (Michael Brill) and Sherpa guide Kusang (Wolfe Morris) arrives hunting for a legendary Yeti. Rollason decides to go along on the expedition and help in the hunt, despite his wife and the Lama suggesting he stays. No sooner than they're on their way, tensions begin to rise between Friend and Rollason, and accidents mount when they try to find the Yeti and it results in madness and death. It's a slow-burner, with most of the snowy mountains recreated on the backlot at Pinewood Studios. It's effective in places, and the cinematography is nice, but it's slow pace works against it in places. If it had been made 10 years later, it would have been more gory and in colour, but some moments do work and they stick in the head.
May 12, 2012
Talk about keeping the viewer hanging. We don't get to see the snowman until the final scenes. As I watch more and more Hammer films, I find there are many things that make them unique. In "The Abominable Snowman", there is a great deal of tension between Dr. Rollason (the awesome Peter Cushing) and Dr. Friend (Forrest Tucker). The battle between Rollason's quest for knowledge and Friend's fire for fame really drives the whole film and the Yeti itself is entirely secondary until the final minutes. Once that time comes, the Yeti not only makes a memorable appearance, but surprises us with a greater purpose than just eating and sleeping.
The Yeti is very different looking than the Bigfoot or Abominable Snowman we've become used to seeing in recent years. Overall, this movie can be an exercise in patience at times but there is enough conflict and a strong enough ending to make it worth paying attention to.
May 12, 2012
A better-than-expected Monster film, with a smart script and strong performances overcoming a stage-bound production.
½ May 12, 2012
This movie is silly and predictable. An explorer goes up into some mountains somewhere and runs into an abominable snowman. It goes downhill from there, but there are a couple of exciting scenes, though.
May 12, 2012
THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (1957)
½ May 12, 2012
A Hammer-horror about an anthropologist and the rest of his expedition as they search for the Yeti in the Himalayas. Due to a blizzard, they get stuck and end up going crazy and dying through misadventure. Great acting, and the dialog is natural and believable especially during the in-fighting and subsequent madness caused from being snowbound.
"I saw the true Yeti!"
½ May 12, 2012
Silly but somehow quite entertaining movie.
½ May 12, 2012
classic saturday morning stuff.
May 12, 2012
Good story and Peter Cushing - recommended.