20% The Identical Sep 05

About Adam Reviews

stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

May 28, 2011
Every once and a while they let Kate Hudson be in a good movie ("Almost Famous," "Dr. T & the Women," "The Skeleton Key," "Nine," "The Killer Inside Me") and "About Adam" is certainly one of them. Unfortunately, Hudson is the very weak link in this terrific cast. Her abominable Irish accent (and subsequent singing in said accent) nearly topple the film in the first 3 minutes, but stick around, because there is plenty of fun to be bad. Stuart Townsend is sexy and sly as a man who charms his way into the private lives of three sisters and their brother. The film may be unscrupulous and naughty, but that's all apart of the whimsy. "About Adam" is a devilish Irish comedy full of deceptive surprises and wit to spare. If you are looking for a first rate romantic comedy with bite and energy, "About Adam" is your ticket.
Remi L

October 9, 2008
This movie was HILARIOUS! Stuart, you ROCK!!
iLeo
iLeo

April 10, 2007
A favorite.
June 14, 2007
wierd, I watched this because I love Kate but I wasnt expecting this, this guy is a really good liar though!
Turfseer
March 26, 2010
Farce not Comedy!

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

'About Adam' is billed as a comedy but it's safer to classify it as a farce. It's set in Dublin and it focuses on a family of three sisters and one brother who all become besotted with Adam, a charming Lothario, who insinuates himself into their lives. Unlike most American films where men end up chasing a beautiful woman, 'About Adam' turns the tables and we're treated to the farcical machinations of women who can no longer control their passions when attracted to that one special 'mysterious' man.

'About Adam' has a Rashomon-like plot where the story is told from the successive points of view of each sibling. We start off from Lucy's point of view (Kate Hudson) who meets Adam at her place of employment (where she works as a waitress/singer). Lucy is looking for a man who will sweep her off her feet. I'm not sure how Adam manages to press all the right buttons of these women, but they all become besotted with him. The initial seduction of Lucy goes on for way too long and after awhile her obsession with him becomes tiresome (the first 30 minutes is the weakest part of the film).

After about half an hour into the film, conflict finally emerges. Soon after meeting Lucy, Adam decides to seduce Lucy's sister, Laura (Frances O'Connor). Laura is more intellectual than Lucy, studying for her PhD in poetry. And of course Adam is familiar with the very obscure poetry Lucy has been studying at school and recites it to her, pressing her buttons. Before you know it, Laura is stripping off HER clothes for him! Adam isn't finished. Brother David finds himself attracted to Adam and fantasizes having a bi-sexual affair with him. He doesn't actually act upon his fantasies but Adam somehow engenders a passionate spark in him and he ends up with a new invigorated love life with his girlfriend.

Finally there's Alice, trapped in a loveless marriage who also has a child. Alice is aware that Adam has been playing around with BOTH of her sisters and when she finally gives in to Adam before his marriage to Lucy, it's on HER terms. She knows it's just a fling, but the brief affair with Adam awakens her long repressed sexual passions.

For those who were 'offended' by this film, they completely miss the purpose of farce. In the words of the noted drama critic Eric Bentley, in farce, one is permitted the outrage without the consequences! Farce allows its audience to experience deep-seated desires vicariously! While the sisters feel there is some deeper meaning in Adam's name (noting that Adam is the name of the progenitor of all men), one should liken him more to the Greek God Pan, famous for his sexual powers and often depicted with an erect phallus.

The world of 'About Adam' features no recriminations. While some feelings are ruffled, none of the characters suffer any permanent psychic damage. Even Laura, probably the most besotted and jealous of the sisters, accepts Adam's marriage to Lucy and we see her holding hands with her school supervisor at the end of the film, now ready for a mature romance in the real world. And although Adam is always lying to each of the women about his background, the lies are white lies--inconsequential; again resulting in no harm (Adam even suggests to Lucy who is having second thoughts about getting married just as they're about to tie the knot, that people don't always have to know each other's secrets; that way, petty jealousies are averted!).

'About Adam' is like a gentle breeze. It's a light-hearted farce not to be taken too seriously (for all of you offended by its alleged 'immorality', I say get a life!). In addition, it's an original take on the desire for passion in our lives. On the other hand, by the end of the film, we realize that the film's tension has dissipated. All that fun 'passion' unleashed in each sibling by the charming rake Adam, has become a bit repetitious and overdone. In other words, we get the point! By the end there are no more surprises! Since 'About Adam' is a bit offbeat and good-natured, I rate it a '3'. But honestly, while 'About Adam' is definitely worth watching, one viewing is enough.
acorn072681
May 15, 2008
I thought this movie was kind of funny from a male perspective. Read the synopsis and you'll know what I mean.
kristenwinnike
February 23, 2007
Hysterical and a bit shocking. Better yet, it takes place in my beloved Dublin! Shows alot of great places in Dublin too.
December 5, 2006
It's sad to see a bunch of sisters fighting over a wannabe player. Just like watching my friends and me with this one guy one summer...
PrideAndBeauty
April 14, 2006
I didn't really understand the concept of it, but I still really liked it, and it really shows Kate's versatility with an Irish accent
July 9, 2012
Sexy with a humorous twist.
April 15, 2012
Not really very good - I'll admit to having only watched it for Kate Hudson (suddenly famous after Almost Famous, and the reason this film got pushed in Britain at the time) it had occassionaly charm, but ultimately remained unengaging and worst of all, was sometimes dull.
ravanat
August 8, 2009
Completely immoral story of a manipulator who repeadedly hurts people "for their own good". And the victims willingly go along with the game.
jazza923
May 20, 2007
Good romantic comedy, but Stuart Townsend hardly seems like that appealing of a person physically or with his personality to be so incredibly desired. Nicely written, Kate Hudson shines. Entertaining but it left me kind of cold.
anneskul
February 23, 2006
:fresh: Way to go! This film is really something different, and it is even better the second time you see it! I think everyone should see it, especially because of Stuart Townsend, who is amazing in his interpretation of Adam, a true Casanova who sleeps with three sisters at the same time. Townsend actually makes his character charming and believable. This story could have been frustrating and boring, like "Alfie" with Jude Law, but it is nothing like it. Why? Because it is all about Adam! :up:
Alfod
September 24, 2005
Best in Show: Stuart Townsend
One for the future: Kate Hudson (kudos for accent)
Stand-out scene: Reveal on Adam's loyalties.
Brainer or no-brainer: No brainer
Stands up to one viewing or repeated?: One
DVD commentary any good?: n/a

TV
Adam (made up name) is a bit of a heartbreaker; when he meets singer/waitress Lucy at her place of work he's the epitome of shy coyness. Lucy has two sisters, Laura and Alice both of whom also fall for the caddish classic car driver (Stuart Townsend). Stopping short of seducing their mother, Adam's dalliances are laid bare in this four act examination of the story from different perspectives; Lucy's, Laura's, Alice's and their brother's (who turns to Adam for advice on getting to second base with his girlfriend). The Dublin setting means that Kate Hudson gets to flex her accent muscles and she does a highly commendable job considering how abused that language has been on film over the years (Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, please stand up). I liked the episodic approach as it split the movie up into bite-sized chunks and while the different perspective approach taken in John Fowler's The Collector will never be bettered (the book not the film) this made a commendable stab at the device. The chirpy story would not have looked out of place as a TV movie, but Townsend (Mr Charlize Theron) has the requisite charm to pull off the ladykiller role with ease. I was hoping to glimpse more of Dublin as a setting, having holidayed there myself but short of a mention of the Temple Bar quarter this could have been set anywhere. Fine ensemble performances always help a movie's impact and kudos must also be extended to the other non-Irish members of the cast who seamlessly slip into the brogue here. Comedian Tommy Tiernan pops up as an old flame of Lucy's to add a further injection of humour into the proceedings. Light and whimsical; perfect Saturday afternoon stuff.
SeeTheSun
November 4, 2004
[font=Trebuchet MS]Full review to come.[/font]
ActLoveFilmMaker
August 19, 2004
[color=plum]Just wrote a whole long goddamn entry and it didn't go through...it's too late so here's the highlights. Dammit:[/color]

[color=#dda0dd]Wrote a song from me to Jeremy Irons called [b]From Lolita[/b], it's very sexy.[/color]

[color=#dda0dd]Watched Carly Patterson win gymnastic gold, very intense. My Lenny Krayzelburg for this Olympics is Ryan Lochte.[/color]

[color=#dda0dd][i]About Adam[/i] was unconventional and funny. Worth a see. Emily and I dissolved into peals of laughter when I was right about him turning on a guy in the film. It's a romantic comedy, but I find it slightly dark. Last shot of the movie reminds me of Vincent in [i]Collateral[/i]- can't figure out if you hate Adam or love him. Cheating bastard, but sexy.[/color]

[color=#dda0dd][b]I need as many opinions as possible on the following:[/b] If you consider someone a friend, and know they only consider you a friend, and they kiss you on the lips, is that only a sign of affection? I am praying so, because if it isn't there could be severe reprecussions. Please help!! I welcome all the input I can get.[/color]

[color=#dda0dd]Saw [i]Collateral [/i]again today with my grandparents, Meems actually liked Tom Cruise in it and Pops thought it was a very different, well made movie (He also says that I have a good eye behind the camera and will have success as a writer and director. I thought that was very very nice of him, as he's been wary of this career choice). Liked it even better the second time, even though I knew what was going to happen I was on the edge of my seat. Is it wrong that I find Vincent whipping around and shooting people between his legs incredibly sexy? Mrow, contract killer. [/color]

[color=#dda0dd]Vincent v. much like Cusack in [i]Grosse Point Blank[/i]. Same excuses for killing. [/color]

[color=#dda0dd]I am confused, this thing is on my mind and making me nuts. Sleepytime, like the trees outside. Damn entry....[/color]