62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

About Elly Reviews

April 15, 2013
WOW just wow. An Iranian "L'Avventura". Sepideh: Magnificent! Farhadi is quickly establishing himself as one of my favourite directors.
April 8, 2013
Not as good as "A Separation," but a well-made and thought-provoking enough film. Maybe even better than I think, but hard to tell, because to the best of our ability to deduce, the subtitles we got were arrived at by taking a version previously subtitled in French, and (mis-)typing the French into google translate. So we're really not at all sure what we missed. And we liked it anyway...
April 7, 2013
The story of a closeknit group of friends (+ Elly) on a weekend getaway is riveting, with a brilliant ensemble cast, let down only because the script could have been a little tighter.
GrahamKenyon2
September 23, 2012
Absolutely wonderful. Modern Iranians in a spiralling series of events that keep you spellbound. The acting is so good, you feel as if you're intruding. Highly recommended.
March 5, 2013
The first twenty minutes or so could be pared down, but after that central event, the intensity never withers.
January 2, 2013
Different, a very 'busy' film...
December 16, 2012
Extremely gripping, morally challenging, simplest approach & with its sensational script, Asghar Farhadi has crafted yet another masterpiece of a cinema that is a classic piece of suspense, drama, mystery, & realism. Crafted with great control, performed with superb naturalness, & exploring the manipulative nature of humans, About Elly succeeds not only as a brilliant work of filmmaking but also as an honest portrayal of tragic events that can happen to anyone in real life. The first 45 minutes are relatively slow but after that, the movie runs at a frenetic pace, confusing & challenging the morals of its characters as well as viewers throughout its runtime. An ordinary story told in an extraordinary manner, About Elly is nothing less than a masterpiece. One of world cinema's finest films.
December 14, 2012
? ? ? ? ? Ravishing :)
September 12, 2012
wow, didn't expect it to match the quality of separation, but it definitely does. i will be looking forward to seeing more from farhadi.
October 20, 2012
Some stories are just too simple and pointless to be made into a feature film, and it appears that all of Farhadi's movies follow the same uber realistic trend of mundane stories that try way to hard to be pretentious.

He excels at telling what should not be told, and just throwing a whole bunch of little events that establish a lot on their own, but are just utterly boring and pointless when used as part of a bigger picture, so you're bombarded with lots of "reality" scenes about moments that you tend to skip when they take place in your own life, let alone watch in a movie, all building up to a story that you wouldn't remember the second day if it was told to you by a friend.
October 8, 2012
Comedy drama of middle-class mores... but the Iranian setting and societal differences adds enough tension and distance for it to feel fresh to this viewer.
October 4, 2012
From director Asghar Farhadi, winner of an Oscar this year, 'About Elly' is his previous film and is NOT TO BE MISSED. It's a gripping psychological drama that looks at contemporary Iranian society and at human behaviour with great perceptiveness. It show that it doesn't take an overblown budget to tell a great story. Extremely well written, it made me feel like an intricate part of the group of friends spending a week-end near the Caspian sea, and almost a participant of the unfolding story. Farhadi is a master at engaging the audience at a deep emotional level. I was impressed with his ability to show how the small actions or words we routinely say can have crucial implications and impact the people around us. The acting is superb all around, with a special mention to the beautiful Golshifteh Farahani playing Sepideh as the main character. Photography is beautiful, almost shot in documentary style. Note: don't read the story before watching it.
September 24, 2012
great acting. brutaly bad film. I never cared about Elly. So i never cared about the high pitched screams and arguments that ensued afterwards. The constant sound of the sea in every scene also wore me down. Terrible movie.
September 17, 2012
Asghar Farhadi tem um incrível domínio da linguagem cinematográfica. Trabalha solidamente com um vasto elenco, gera drama, antecipa tensão soberbamente. Nem precisaria do leve spoiler do título em português para prevermos que algo de errado aconteceria.
September 15, 2012
From the director of 'A Separation'.
August 26, 2012
the film started off as an 'upper'; the group's holiday mood was so infectious, you'd wish you were there with them. then it started moving into more sombre territory, causing one to wonder 'so, did elly?'
only realized this was an earlier work by A Separation's director after the credits rolled.
mr Asghar Farhadi, you've got a fan, please keep 'em coming.
August 12, 2012
A very good film by Asghar Farhadi. It's one of the most captivating film I have seen in recent days. It arises many questions about human relations and Iran's society, their culture and stuff.
August 9, 2012
enjoyable even if it's a bit over hyped
July 20, 2012
another masterpiece from Farhadi who has quickly become one of my favorite story tellers. Such a pity that this movie finds no reviewers. If you love engaging dramas with a closer to reality theme, please start watching Farhadi's movies. About Elly kept me engaged from the start and I didnt move till the soul stirring music stopped with the credits
July 20, 2012
A bitter ending is better than an endless bitterness.