About Time Reviews

July 16, 2015
Some of the reviews are, IMO, unfair to this movie by dismissing it as a rom-com, but it's way more than that. Rom-coms end after "boy gets girl" and we're to assume that they live happily ever after. But in About Time, boy gets girl about half way through and we see life go on. Their interactions as a married couple are gorgeous, and the stuff dealing with having kids is even better. Its handling of the death of a parent is achingly spectacular, as is its depiction of life going on afterward. While younger people might be confused that the movie didn't end at the wedding, to me that's where the movie becomes its most powerful. If you are a grownup with a spouse and kids, who has dealt with the decline and/or death of your parents and this film doesn't move you, there just might be something missing inside you.

Bill NIghy as the dad is phenomenal, and Rachel McAdams - in a movie where she's only the third hottest woman - steals the show. Domhnall Gleeson is really only playing the quirky Hugh Grant part, but he does it convincingly. The music is unbelievably well done and the cinematography and scenery are beautiful.

This movie does exactly what it set out to do, which was NOT to tell a convincing time travel story. It's about becoming an adult and savoring your life, and it may be the perfect example of that theme.
July 15, 2015
Just really heartfelt and sweet.
July 7, 2015
This movie is just so Richard Curtis. It has posh people swearing liberally, kookie people saying delightfully unexpected things, people being utter jerks to each other in endearing ways, a token American, stiff upper lips from all and sundry, Bill Nighy...oh, but then there's a time-travel element, which is not very Richard Curtis at all. The means by which the time-travel happens is just silly, that's got to be said up front. There's no Back To The Future style attempt to explain the science and you get the feeling no-one has thought it through at all, and you also get the feeling that if you were to try to think it through now, on no possible level would it make sense. The ginger lead...well I just don't think he would actually stand a chance with Mary. And definitely not with Charlotte. I mean, what was that scene all about. But back to the time travel...the bit where he could go back and hang out with his dead dad...that worked. That was emotional. It was kind of slow all round though. Charlotte...wow...she really is a stunner. I just don't know what to make of this movie all round, other than to say it's just...so desperately Richard Curtis. That's good I think. Or not. I don't know.
July 13, 2015
You may be put off because you think this movie is another of those weird and confusing time travel movies, but persevere. It really isn't about time travel and I consider it one of those surprising, hidden gems you come across once in a while. Charming characters and sweet story.
½ July 12, 2015
Bill Nighy turns in a stellar performance and the rest of the cast is also appealing. The movie is by turns funny, sad and bittersweet, with a lovely message about living life to the fullest.
March 7, 2014
Sweet romantic tale.
½ July 1, 2015
The British/American movie portrays a young time traveler who struggles to win a better relation with women by changing the past and learn important things in one's life.
Being directed by Richard Curtis, the scientific fiction and fantasy has a strong character of romantic and human comedy. Domhnall Gleeson performs the time traveler growing up from a week youth to stable parenthood of three kids. There is nothing more to desire for performance of Rachel McAdams as this is the third movie in which she falls in love with a time traveler following 'Time Traveler's Wife' and 'Midnight in Paris'.
All characters are unique, humorous and heartwarming. Nature and old buildings in Cornwall, UK are beautiful. The wedding party in the heavy rain is unforgettable.
June 24, 2015
Sentimental, wish all the best to enjoy everyday life
April 10, 2014
There is much good about Curtis film's that can frustrate you also. The story and the simple direction manner is flawed so obviously you even give up on it, yet the charm and the moments that you will remember are just beautiful. Some may love this film, and more objective views may hate it, but for me, I do feel I wish I could shake Curtis and say, 'do you not even re edit' ! Excellent and annoying at the same time.
June 21, 2015
It's beyond beautiful and it teaches us lessons about life. It made me walk out my door for the first time in 3 weeks. The critics are delusional not to love this film.
June 18, 2015
The film starts slow, yet real. Towards the end it turns out to be absolutely amazing. Wonderful, beautiful film!
½ June 11, 2015
Such an Emotional 2 hour Journey...Seems as if i saw ma own life story..Be it the love between Tim & Mary or Tim amazing relationship with his father, this movie is beautiful in every way.
½ June 5, 2015
How can I live my life to the fullest, just how do you do that, instead of regretting all the things that I did or didn't do?
½ May 24, 2015
Devalued movie.. Rachel Mcadams is the most lovely actress in the world
May 14, 2015
Amazing flick and one I highly recommend.
May 18, 2015
This is not my usual kind of movie but I can be a giant sucker for funny, sappy, and intersting chick flicks like this. The ginger boy and Rachel McAdams clearly showed real chemistry on screen and that made for an awesome movie. But Bill Nighy stole the show as the most likeable and humorous character. It's a good watch alone or with a someone special.
½ January 2, 2014
Was expecting a typical Rom-Com but it was more than just that. Excellent acting by the whole cast and Domhnall Gleeson is becoming a favorite of mine
½ May 17, 2013
This seems a little too close to The Time Traveler's Wife. The fact that he even proposes to her in the same way is a little too nostalgic. We need a new plot here.
May 5, 2015
Funny but kind of creepy in the first half; tedious, sappy, and dumb in the second half.