15% Transcendence Apr 18

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

January 21, 2014
I admit, when I first heard about this movie I was really sceptical. Who wouldn't? It sounds completely absurd even as a work of fiction. Who'd think of putting Lincoln and Vampires together in one movie? But after seeing the first trailer I was really looking forward to this as it had the dark mood and right amount of action you'd expect from such a film.

The movie itself is amazing. It wasn't complete fiction where everything was just a story. The important parts of history where in this. Obviously not as they happened, with the Vampires, but always with a touch of real happenings. The deaths of Lincolns mother Nancy and son William, the marriage with Mary Todd, travelling on the Mississippi to New Orleans, his view on slavery and the war, just to mention a view. I as a Vampire fan from child days on thought the way they were portrayed was just right. They might not have been burnt by the sunlight and have two main fangs rather than only fangs but other than that the way they were shown was great. I think seeing this in 3D would've been even better. The action scenes were just right, maybe not as harsh as some thought but to me it didn't have to be all brutal. In fact if it would've been the rest of the story might have been pushed to the background. As I said in other reviews I always like to mention the music as a movie would be nothing without it. It either complements the film or disturbs it with unnecessary songs and sounds. The music was just right, adding the dark mood more intense than a picture only. 4 1/2 Stars 12=15-13
Alice S

December 6, 2013
Silly premise aside, this film is a mess of torrid pacing and charisma vacuumed non-acting.
Anthony L

August 13, 2013
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is not good enough to be taken seriously and a bit too good to label as a b-movie. It should be regarded as a really good big budget b-movie. Take it for what it is and what it always set out to do and you cannot fault it. If the idea got you excited then I think you'll probably enjoy it. It's better than Van Helsing anyway. The only thing I didn't like was the inclusion of Lincoln's son dying of a Vampire bite instead of the truth that he actually died of typhoid. It just didn't sit well with me, his other son's aren't in the film, why include the first one that died? Anyway, I liked it for all its B-movie goodness.
Spencer S

December 1, 2010
Since reading the book, written by the same person who did this screenplay, I have wanted to love this wholly. Alas, that was never to be, because though I love playful interpretation of history, and I love the supernatural for all it's worth, this film does not mash the two ideas into a coherent and enjoyable story. Really, this has all the elements of a very badly made indie horror film, but with historical accuracy and a big budget. That's my first main problem actually: the historical accuracy. Like the book this film follows the actual timeline of Lincoln's life, which means that everything he does, whether fighting vampires, or getting tutored by the character of Henry (Cooper), it's in a setting that Lincoln actually lived in. That means that most of the movie takes place in a small Illinois town, and mostly revolves around Lincoln slaying vampires, unnamed and mostly unarmed. Even with the endless action, there aren't any real stakes, except brutal revenge on Lincoln's part, and that doesn't really fuel anything. Even when he has the enemy of two very evil and assassinating vampires take the reins and start the Civil War, we know he's going to win against them. There's a shoehorned climax involving a train, which doesn't propel anything forward. The effects weren't even that great; if we're being perfectly frank, and most of the time the characters are surrounded by so many effects that we can barely even see them let alone get into it. The movie also uses vampires as the reason for the Civil War, which is taken from the book, but unlike the book Lincoln is given a black friend and from the start wants an end to slavery. Why could that truth be broken and yet he has to be in a certain place when certain vampire slaying takes place? That and Mary Todd isn't crazy but a caring and diligent wife, which is just too far from the truth. The only part of this film that can even be described as awesome would be the ending, which really feeds well into the credits, and is a better ending than in the book. This film doesn't even get to be silly stupid action fun, because most of the action is shrouded in CGI, and there aren't many stakes, even at the end. For a film that has elements that everybody loves, nobody explicitly loves this film.
Cynthia S

July 4, 2012
I know that this movie was cheesy. I know that it was a silly concept...BUT, I was really surprised that I enjoyed it anyway. The special effects were enjoyable to watch. The storyline was good. I found it fun, fast paced, and interesting. I am a vampire movie fan, so maybe I was just easily entertained...
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 3, 2011
"I didnt' know anything about this movie. All I knew was that my niece read the book and wanted the movie badly. So I gave it to her for Christmas. So now after seeing it, I wanna read the book. It was pretty good. I enjoyed the twist on the Vampires and even the playful idea that Mr. Lincoln himself, was a slayer. The movie has plenty of action and gore. I loved some of the kills. I am not sick and twisted, I just enjoy a good kill that's all. The actor's all did a great job and the SE were good. I will definitley be seeing this one again."
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 19, 2012
President by day. Hunter by night.

Good movie! Acting was good, nothing Oscar worthy but no poor performances. Everyone did their job well, especially Benjamin Walker and Dominic Cooper. They both excelled in their roles as Lincoln and Henry respectively. Plot flowed well and was easy to follow, and the action was absolutely fantastic. It was over the top, fast paced, bloody, and very well done. If you don't mind seeing vampires getting hacked, slashed, and bashed to death in a wide variety of ways, you'll enjoy this movie.

At the age of 9, Abraham Lincoln witnesses his mother being killed by a vampire, Jack Barts. Some 10 years later, he unsuccessfully tries to eliminate Barts but in the process makes the acquaintance of Henry Sturgess who teaches him how to fight and what is required to kill a vampire. The quid pro quo is that Abe will kill only those vampires that Henry directs him to. Abe relocates to Springfield where he gets a job as a store clerk while he studies the law and kills vampires by night. He also meets and eventually marries the pretty Mary Todd. Many years later as President of the United States, he comes to realize that vampires are fighting with the Confederate forces. As a result he mounts his own campaign to defeat them.
UUd I

December 2, 2012
hmm. so its about vampire conspiracy. the civil war and background of abe just a supporting the story.
nice story and character but its ridiculous to watch.
Dr114
Dr114

May 14, 2012
It wasn't a very good movie, but I found it entertaining. It's overly serious in it's tone and the editing is choppy and it has bad CGI. So why did I enjoy it? I think the acting and the themes of the film are what pulled me through it. The acting was actually decent and some of the axe throwing/blood spraying was fun. Yes, Abraham Lincoln is a vampire hunter, but it's execution of that idea was a bit lame. The movie was to busy trying to tell a backstory, when all people came to see was Lincoln in a top hat with a beard hunting vampires. Overall- Despite the fact that I was sort-of-entertained for two hours, I wouldn't recommend it.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

June 20, 2012
two stars
Everett J

November 13, 2012
Now, I know a movie called "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" doesn't scream Oscar worthy movie. But, I had some high hopes of a fun, gory, action/horror movie. I know quite a few people that really enjoy this, but for some reason, this just didn't work for me. I love the concept, and I've read about half the book(if you count audiobook), just the thought of Abe Lincoln killing vampires is awesome. The first thing I didn't like about it was how it started, because it's different than the book. I really liked the way the book began, and felt the was something that could have made this movie have a more special feeling to it. But besides that the biggest thing for me is probably the way it looks. It's way too stylized and CGI heavy. I watched it on blu ray(it was made for 3D, and I would love to rewatch it 3D, could be a better experience), and the movie really pops. But saying that it looks very fake. From the vampires to Abe's fake nose, I don't know what it is, but the movie just looked too fake for me to really enjoy. The action is good, and the acting is decent, but there are some scenes that are very over the top. I can see myself watching this again eventually and liking it more. But for now, it just doesn't work for me. But like I said, I know a bunch of guys who have great taste in movies that liked it, but for me, I just didn't care for it like I hoped. Give it a shot and hopefully it works for you.
Josh L

June 7, 2012
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter has decent action sequences and plenty of visual pizzazz, but lacks a compelling story to go with it. Even the performances by the leads are decent. I was a huge fan of Bekmambetov's Wanted and his previous films before that, Night Watch & Day Watch, were at least interesting story wise to go with some great visuals. He really is a great visual director, but he still needs to find the right storytelling to go with it. This film is decently entertaining, but you'll forget about it soon after you watch it.
Al S

September 3, 2012
The coolest and most badass vampire movie in years, makes Twilight look like Childs play. It`s Blade meets Van Helsing. An awesome and eye-popping classic. A breathtaking and riveting piece of visionary filmmaking of its Director, Timur Bekmambetov. Another visionary triumph from Bekmambetov. An edgy, visceral and visually dazzling action-packed thriller. A spectacular and exhilarating thrill-ride from start to finish that loaded with great plot twist, wry humor, amazing special effects and adrenaline-pumping action. A stylish, thrilling, epic and bone-chilling roller-coaster ride that you cant avoid. It`s big and explosive fun. A cool as hell mash-up of history and horror that's not meant to be taken seriously but to be enjoyed as a entertainment and that is exactly what it is, a tremendously entertaining movie. A bloody good-time at the movies that's hilarious and imaginative. It`s fast, fresh, wickedly funny and totally brilliant. A great all-star cast. Benjamin Walker gives a great and sensational performance. Dominic Cooper is terrific. Anthony Mackie is excellent. Rufus Sewell is fantastic.
Phil H

October 17, 2012
Its all things Abe at the moment as we've just had this flick and we've now got the upcoming biopic epic. Not to mention the Abe fetish that this has kick started with other low budget horror flicks where Abe fights the undead. When do we seen George Washington kicking werewolf ass?.

Tongue firmly in cheek here as we basically get a loose life story of Abe Lincoln but with clever tinkering. I must admit I do like how historical fact has been perverted with vampires, the way the writers have taken real historical events and twisted them to include vampire lore. Its not original of course but I do like this kind of thing, it makes it much more interesting, making you wish it was real history.

As a vampire flick this really is nothing much more than another 'Underworld' or 'Blade' simply set in the 18th century. The film is based on a book and has all the visual flare, editing, action, angles of your typical graphic novel/comicbook adaptation. This is totally fine as its exactly what you expect and nothing more, with a title like this you know to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Don't expect anything different from what you've seen before though. Although the action is swish, fast and actually pretty impressive with lots of twirling axe wielding slaughter its just the same as all the other vampire/werewolf action flicks we've seen. Add lots of slow motion into the fray and its all very familiar, highly unoriginal but highly enjoyable as it looks good. The main reason for the films saviour is merely the period setting which adds that nice dark gothic moonlit glow, plenty of opportunities for slick comicbook angles with dashing heroic lighting.

The main problem for me with this film is the fact you have part of a biopic and part of a vampire film. The director clearly must show both but has troubles keeping it together, the balance is there but it doesn't quite work at times due to historical fact. I do like how they incorporated vampire myth into Abe's civil war issues but at times your left thinking that it doesn't quite fit together...even though its complete fantasy.

The other issue I had, albeit small, was the fact that Abe seems to be almost super human himself. Slicing trees down with one stroke, leaping around like a Jedi knight and having a full grown horse thrown on him yet he lives without injury?. Suspension of disbelief being stretched there somewhat even though its a vampire film. I hasten to add that was it much of a surprise that Abe would be made out to be some kind of American superhero against slavery and fighting alongside a black man? pretty much your 18th century 'Captain America'.

I did enjoy this film, I did enjoy Walker in the lead who does look like a young Liam Neeson with his prosthetics on. Its complete graphic novel type fluff full of cliches...hordes of faceless vampire fodder, the obligatory sexy baddie female vamp, tonnes of CGI, tonnes of slow mo, a token black hero and lots of implausible sequences where Abe gets himself out of trouble.

BUT as a fun goth vampire flick I quite enjoyed it, along the same lines as 'Priest' with Sewell playing the snarling bad guy to a tee. The train sequence finale is absolutely absurd and lets the film down but I like how the character of 'Henry' carries on through time. Lets not get too carried away with taking real historical figures and having them monster mash, quit for now while the idea is on a high.
Jason R

February 21, 2012
typing a long review to test to make sure that the open graph review shows up in an untruncated fashion on my facebook timeline right now. on locker staging app
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

September 4, 2012
Quite fun, it knows what it is and plays the material straight. It's well directed, acted and has convincing characters with clear motivations. The Hong Kong-esque fight sequences show that Mr Timur knows what this kind of material needs. In other words, this is the movie for the rest of us that want to have some fun. Most people attacking this because of the premise probably think Titanic is a great movie.
vieras e

July 23, 2012
The horse scene - which seemed to go on forever, btw - is NOT in the book. So please, don't let that deter you from reading an otherwise quite entertaining book. This film isn't bad either, the two are just very different. Whereas the book tries to come up with explanations for Lincoln's actions and decisions, this film really doesn't all that much - except for love. Love for his mother, love for his BFF, and love for his lady. Now it isn't a bad driving force as such, but we all know Abe was more complex than that. It's almost as if this was the dumbed down version of the story. Despite all this, I was entertained. And, let's face it, the way Abe handled that axe looked pretty damn cool.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 9, 2012
And the top contender for worst movie of the year arrives. Full review later.
Christopher H

July 31, 2012
A generic revenge action flick that never lives up to it's sinfully promising premise. The "Abraham Lincoln was a vampire hunter" premise is never fully taken advantage of and in the end it comes off as an empty gimmick. Director Timur Bekmambetov provides much visual flair and some of the Matrix-like fights scenes are pretty cool but they become tiresome by the third act. Benjamin Walker does an admirable job in the title role although it's a bit of a shame that the script doesn't give him more of a character to work with. In the first act (before he grows the beard), Lincoln feels just like any typical action hero. Some the CGI is pretty dodgy also. There is this one action sequence involving Lincoln fighting a vampire amiss a stampede of horses. What could have been a delightfully over-the-top action sequences is undone by cartoonish looking CGI. Combine this with choppy-editing and stock villains, 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' never ends up being as memorable as it's title.